ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup - Cammed, high compression

BG 182
Ok Gents pics of my new 172 cup – couple of things to note - I HATE the black turinis and need them redoing in either standard silver or anthracite as soon as funds allow, the bumper wants painting and it wants a detail (the below is after a £6 polish wash!)

As it goes it the best spec Clio sport I’ve owned and this is now No8 Clio. Nothing for the money is as fun and provides great Power:MPG

IMG_3398_zps5a1c7945.jpg

IMG_3421_zps00d10046.jpg

IMG_3420_zps0fc4b63a.jpg

IMG_3417_zpsf3a60262.jpg

IMG_3418_zps3fcf102f.jpg

IMG_3411_zpsd1f85bd2.jpg

IMG_3410_zpsf4a964ef.jpg

IMG_3406_zpsce8e769c.jpg

IMG_3404_zpsa35802c5.jpg

IMG_3399_zpse3597109.jpg

IMG_3396_zpse7ed4861.jpg

IMG_3395_zps35c8b39f.jpg

IMG_3422_zps63997d9d.gif

Below is the spec, I am now wondering what should be my next avenue regarding power.

Wossner high compression forged pistons
Catcams 438 cams
ARP bolts
Cylinder head skim and valve guides replaced
Headbolts
Big end bearings
Cambelt
Clutch
Auxiliary adjuster
Plugs and leads
Remap

BTB Cat back Ninja Stealth Exhaust
Clutch
Engine mounts
Proflex dogbone mount

The Obvious idea would be to go ITB’s – but realistically what sort of power should I see with the High compression? Does the high compression really add that much?

I’ve sat and read lots of threads about running just cams and then cams/ITB’s and ‘how can I make 200bhp’ but none with a high compression build. I believe what I have is a very good base to go down the ITB route.

Hope you all like

Thanks
Lewis

BG 182
If I keep it for longer than 6 months plans include:

Cooksports/ blistein b14 - I feel it deserves some good coilovers personally
Whiteline ARB
Sabelt wheel
Wheel refurb
Bumper paint
ITB's

This is all based on 'if I keep it' - the old age saving for a mortgage is in full swing but I do have a couple of bonuses this year with work which could fund the build. Worst case is I will part-x it for an as good condition 182 as using this as a daily is pointless with the engine mods.

Mec 350 slk manual
Ok Gents pics of my new 172 cup – couple of things to note - I HATE the black turinis and need them redoing in either standard silver or anthracite as soon as funds allow, the bumper wants painting and it wants a detail (the below is after a £6 polish wash!)

As it goes it the best spec Clio sport I’ve owned and this is now No8 Clio. Nothing for the money is as fun and provides great Power:MPG

IMG_3398_zps5a1c7945.jpg

IMG_3421_zps00d10046.jpg

IMG_3420_zps0fc4b63a.jpg

IMG_3417_zpsf3a60262.jpg

IMG_3418_zps3fcf102f.jpg

IMG_3411_zpsd1f85bd2.jpg

IMG_3410_zpsf4a964ef.jpg

IMG_3406_zpsce8e769c.jpg

IMG_3404_zpsa35802c5.jpg

IMG_3399_zpse3597109.jpg

IMG_3396_zpse7ed4861.jpg

IMG_3395_zps35c8b39f.jpg

IMG_3422_zps63997d9d.gif

Below is the spec, I am now wondering what should be my next avenue regarding power.

Wossner high compression forged pistons
Catcams 438 cams
ARP bolts
Cylinder head skim and valve guides replaced
Headbolts
Big end bearings
Cambelt
Clutch
Auxiliary adjuster
Plugs and leads
Remap

BTB Cat back Ninja Stealth Exhaust
Clutch
Engine mounts
Proflex dogbone mount

The Obvious idea would be to go ITB’s – but realistically what sort of power should I see with the High compression? Does the high compression really add that much?

I’ve sat and read lots of threads about running just cams and then cams/ITB’s and ‘how can I make 200bhp’ but none with a high compression build. I believe what I have is a very good base to go down the ITB route.

Hope you all like

Thanks
Lewis
Lewis
I have the 438s and ported inlets and other mods and was at dan519 we put it on his rollers for a power run and hit 193bhp and that's with out my itbs that are going to be fitted later in the year so I hopping for more than 200

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
It's got a good spec! I'd leave it and enjoy it as it is. You have a reliable build that packs a few extra Hp :)

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Wouldn't bother with itb's , great spec as it is. Silver wheels and coilovers and it will be perfect

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Looking good mate, doesn't look too bad on the black alloys but I agree a bright silver set of Turinis on a Cup look best imo

BG 182
Cheers for the comments, Realistically I don't have the money spare to put into yet I just feel its the next logical step.

A set of 422 cams and ITB’s would see you at 220-230bhp I presume its already running standalone engine management?
This again was a concern of mine that actually it would be suited on bodies to a different set of cams. Its on standard management at the moment, but I do have an ec1 lined up. Would I gain much with the spec its at and a aftermarket ecu?

itb'd RB 182 cup
I have pretty much the same spec on my 182 with itb's and I'm running 215-220bhp and this is with a poor quality set if AT power itb's and a restrictive air box. i will be soon swapping to a nice shiny set if jenvey's with much freer flowing filter so should be seeing 230+
(hopefully)

Mec 350 slk manual
I have pretty much the same spec on my 182 with itb's and I'm running 215-220bhp and this is with a poor quality set if AT power itb's and a restrictive air box. i will be soon swapping to a nice shiny set if jenvey's with much freer flowing filter so should be seeing 230+
(hopefully)
What ecu are you running

This again was a concern of mine that actually it would be suited on bodies to a different set of cams. Its on standard management at the moment, but I do have an ec1 lined up. Would I gain much with the spec its at and a aftermarket ecu?
You may gain slightly but it all depends who mapped it on the std ECU it would certainly allow better control
(hopefully)
What cams have you got if you're aiming for 230+?
Omex 600 although considering a gen90 ecu due to the omex playing up occasionally.
Sounds very un omex buddy what issues are you having?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'd just get it on some decent suspension to start with, renew any bushes and steering bits. Then see about ITBs if you want an extra 25bhp or so. I'd expect you to make around 210bhp with the current spec and ITBs

itb'd RB 182 cup
I'm running 422 cams.
The issue I'm having with the omex is when I start the car the immobiliser light stays on and the car works fine if I then turn the car off and pop into a shop etc when I restart the car the ecu seems to have a hiccup the immobiliser lights doesn't come on it then thinks the car has a lot less petrol than it has and the engine runs lumpy until it's up to temp.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Nice clio, out of curiosity - what does "high compression" actually do, without ITBs? (I know the two things arent necessarily related, just curious of why you would do cams + high compression vs just cams, what difference/gains are to be had?)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Can't beat Mondial in the sun

grey headlights?? (They look it in the pics)

Ph1
How does it drive? Can you tell much of a difference being high comp?

Does it slap on cold start?

Iv got a high comp bottom end sitting waiting to go in so curious to know :)

BG 182
It drives very well, pulls hard through the rev range and is nice and smooth with plenty of torque in all gears.

with regards to slapping I cant say I've noticed it but have only driven it 4 times!!

Im going to get it on a rolling road asap

ph2 clio sport 172
Very similar spec to mine but I have ed cams. I'm looking at itbs in August so if you still have it by then il let you know difference. Mine is running 189hp with decat and btb stealth at the moment.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Looks fantastic. Ive got 438's with custom map & ported inlets exhaust decat & ind kit and I ran 191.8 at surrey rolling road