ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup Dangerous when wet?

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
Have just recently bought a cup and have found it great - handling is fantastic and feels more responsive than my 172ff.

today was driving round a corner not particuarly fast and got the back right out, luckily i saved it but my heart was racing, really thought i was going to stack it

has anyone else found that traction with 172 cup in the wet is a little bit dogey. i have conti sports on the back and Exalto's on the front

cheers

duncan

Check the pressures.

Cups can be a bit of a handful if your not used to them.

Plus same tyres should be used all round IMO.

yeah have to agree with you there has happend to me a couple of times when i first got it . lol

invest in all four tyres the same though .

Lionel Richie
yes they're dangerous in the wet
y0z2asportclioreborn126jv.jpg

Lionel Richie
they weren't slicks!!! road legal track tyres (Khumo V70a's soft) not the best tyre to use in a monsoon! LOL

you live and learn eh! my wallet felt that one!

Lionel Richie
it wasn't anyones, it still is! its the infamous yozzasport "1.2" demo car, that was way back when it had its original engine
IMG_7638.jpg

111_1193.jpg

Nippy white cup
Defo twitchy but you are asking for trouble having different tyres on..I would imagine the contis won't be as good in the wet as the Exaltos so that will make it alot worse

Chris

Peddled device
I went from a 205 gti to a 172 Cup.......it had better grip in the wet than the 205 but on roundabouts when wet it was a handful....couldn't always get the power down.

Handle with care!

BMW M135i
I had the same problem with F1s on the front and Avons on the rear, would go sideways at the drop of a hat if it were wet which while was a giggle at the time wasn't the best idea. Changed them for F1s all round and problem solved.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I had khumo tyres on my 172 cup and they were dangerous in the wet to say the least.

Nearly lost it in the wet this weekend but ESP saved my a$$ and pulled my front end back round.

My advice is just take it real easy in the wet with the 172 cup, its just not worth it.

I wouldnt trust Khumos on the side of a boat never mind on your pride and joy,
I inherited a new set on my boxsterS and lets just say the handling was "interesting".

Audi TT 225
RS's are even more fun in the snow!
I did about 5 miles to the nearest big town without incident, had some fun in an empty asda carpark, drove back and just as I came up the hill and took a sharp left turn into my old street I started sliding towards a wall, I could see the wall rappidly aproaching my passenger side and thought "there goes my wing and door" the mirror hit the wall and the whole car pivoted on the mirror until the back wheel hit a kurb, slid back away from the wall and stopped lol
Amazing....
Then some chav kicked the same mirror and it broke... go figure...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/richmcc/P4060001.jpg

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
I had khumo tyres on my 172 cup and they were dangerous in the wet to say the least.

Nearly lost it in the wet this weekend but ESP saved my a$$ and pulled my front end back round.

My advice is just take it real easy in the wet with the 172 cup, its just not worth it.

actually ive got khmo's on the back - i guess that could be it? when i was going round the corner i had my foot off the accelerator and just felt the back slip - as soon as i felt it i corrected using stearing and it fell into shape - was a bit hairy - i guess i should get exalto's on the back as well

clio 172 cup
you shouldnt coast round bends with no throttle at all you need that to keep the car balanced.
did you reapply it when the back came round

Cup'd Monaco 172
Errr Hello? No one else notice the problem here?

i have conti sports on the back and Exalto's on the front

Mixing tyres front and is foolish on a hot hatch. Ruins the balance. You'd have the same issue with those tyres on any decent handling FWD car.

Banana
I have been running 195 contis on the back, and 205 PE2's on the front of my cup for ages, and it grips like glue.
Point is, you should'nt be giving it death in the rain anyway, especially in a cup.

Cup'd Monaco 172
The fact its a cup makes no difference. The ESP does very little to stop lift off over steer. And dry weather grip is rarely and issue. But tyres can give very different levels of grip make to make in the rain.
Caining around in the rain is fine if you have the right tyres in good condition and all of the same make. The car should behave predictably, just with less grip.

Liquid yellow R26 F1
They're great fun in the wet, but i deffinately dont brake too hard or late in the wet very prone to locking up.. although struggled to get off the grass in the carpark at Goodwood on Sunday..

IMHO.. i think Contis should be kept on all 4 corners.. as they have stiffer side walls than normal tyres, which aids to the handling.. had a different tyre put on once as i had a flat (no choice), it felt awful.. 4 new Contis later felt great again..

when i was going round the corner i had my foot off the accelerator and just felt the back slip

That could be your problem mate. Usually best to keep a steady throttle round the bends - balances the grip better by keeping some weight on the rear tyres.

I got caught out once on a greasy road when I first got mine. Honestly can't remember if I had lifted off the throttle or not, but I think I probably did.

Best just to be extra cautious in the wet.

Ph1
A combination of low fuel (lack of weight), dodgy tyre choice or low tyre tred and lifting off mid corner on a damp greasy road dosent help a Clio Sport stay out of the green and on the black.

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
i do have khumo ecasta's on the back - could that be why ive got no grip in the wet? is it worth getting pe2's on the back as well as the front is it better having a different tyre on the back?

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
^^lol - thats exactly what happened to me - so nearly went into an oncoming car.

I think ill change the backs to PE2's have got to be better in the wet

doesn anyone have a particular type of tyre on the back compared to the front or is it always best to have the same brand?

Mk2 172
Just keep your foot planted and dont go round a corner quick with no throttle. if your driving hard and goin into a roundabout for instance use the brake and throttle at the same time to keep the car balanced. as you come out of the corner start releasing the brake slowly while applying more throttle. Trust me it works.

they can be unpredictable at times , be careful in the wet as yes they do tend to go where they want .

no traction up to third gear i remember the one day , not funny as when it gripped it wanted to go left :S

80MPG BEEZA
asking to much of the conditions is where the danger lies, there's nothing wrong with the car its just the driver, i make mine skid for fun

172 cup
it doesnt matter if you have different tyres front and back,
what matters is that the ones on the back should be better,
thats why when i buy new tyres to replace the worn fronts, the new tyres go on the back and the ones from the rear go on the front

personally i find driving on wet roads more rewarding than when its dry but dont try and keep up with quicker cars

ps when i bought mine it had 4 dodgy contis on and was scary in the wet, now i stick with pe2's

172 CUP
TBH

any cars thats light

172bhp or more at the front with no abs or traction is gonna be a bit of a handful in the wet

smooth is the way forward

dont jump on the throttle or breaks (wet)