ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

Need to get this back up to date...

Few weeks ago I binned my sloppy standard gear shifter

Photo%2006-08-2011%2018%2010%2041.jpeg

Photo%2006-08-2011%2018%2011%2023.jpeg

Well I took it for a drive (or tried to) with the new shifter - but couldn't get reverse LOL

Oh well jacked it back up - 5 more mins tinkering and it works a treat
It's further back than standard one so not too bad to use - but I now desperately need to get the recaros sold and get some bimarco futuras mounted about 2" further down - then it will be spot on :D

I was gonna try and keep it a bit secret - but f**k it
I've bought bomber's old roll cage

DSC_0645_copy.jpg

2010_05_28_1861.gif

2010_05_30_1862.gif

Deposit paid - heading to Gloucester on 3rd september to pick it up in a van - then doing Trax in the van on the 4th
I've got till the 22nd september to get it resprayed in white and welded in - because I want it all done before Brands Hatch
Also need to get it welded in so I can go and get the car corner weighted and geometry setup :D

I was going to save up for a Safety Devices - but I love what bombers done with the harness bars on this - and it's a hell of a lot cheaper - double WIN!

With that in mind I thought I better get stripping the car today ready for sanding it all down and painting it
I think I got a bit carried away...

Took the dash out - ready for flocking
Photo 14-08-2011 10 05 10.jpeg

Then got a bit excited with sound deadening removal!!
Photo 14-08-2011 11 56 05.jpeg

6kg of sound deadening in the bin - and the passenger airbag weighs a ton too.
Unfortunately with the airbag removed the light on the dash is back on - so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about that for MOT etc...

Anyhoooo glad I did it - the bottom dash is knackered. Someone has snapped half of it and it's held together with wood screws and wire (no joke) - so that's off in the bin
Gonna get a new bottom dash from Josh at cliospares next weekend and then send the whole lot off with my A pillars to get flocked.

I can get busy this week now with taking the seats out and sanding everything down. Need to do a bit of smoothing where I removed all the seat brackets and I want to tidy up the standard sloppy panel sealer - so plenty to do :D

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
A bit of electrical tape folded in half will sort the airbag light! You need to take the clocks apart to do it and slide it under the facia of the clocks. Easier than it sounds.

I was thinking of doing that - but it lights the service light as well

If I tape up the service light then I'll never know if there's an actual ecu fault :(

Might have to do some research and find out what the ECU is expecting from the airbag ecu as an "everythings ok" signal and fake it

Hrmm there's a point - I removed the steering wheel airbag and the standard seat belts ages ago and I didn't use resistors
The RS Tuner I've got allows you to tell the ecu to ignore certain air bag error messages

Maybe it'll work for the dashboard one too!

Qashcow
I fitted all the resistors in place and it still left the lights on, I pulled out the lights in the end.

Nice cage btw ;)

Got it sorted last night

Re-programmed the airbag ecu so it's happy having no airbags now LOL!
No lights on the dash

I tidied all the loose crappy renault alarm wiring up - taped it all to the main loom. Tidied all the stereo wiring up out the way

Got to go pick up a new dashboard on saturday from Cliospares as mine was properly hacked about - send that off to be flocked
Started sanding all the interior down last night too ready for paint

Got a LOT to do before I get the cage and then even more afterwards to get it all welded in etc.. before my brands hatch day on the 22nd september

Should be fun though - keeps me busy :)

Bit of an update

Ever since I got the car the dashboard has rattled. Drove me nuts on the way to germany last year lol
I was convinced I could sort it - but needed to take the dash out which seemed like a big job

Anyway last weekend I got stuck in and took the whole dashboard out.
I found the rattling was being caused by the alarm wiring which was all loose and fitted horribly, so I've cable tied all that to the main wiring loom now. Also my lower dashboard was knackered. A previous owner had snapped a bit of it off near the middle and then glued it all back together. Ugh.

So I headed off to Josh at Cliospares and picked up a new lower dash.
I've also had a problem where the heater controls won't let me choose demist and when I got the dash apart I found the cable had snapped and someone had bodged it back together with an electrical connector LOL. So I picked up a couple of heater control cables while I was at Cliospares too.

While the dash was out I figured it was a good opportunity to bin some more weight so ditched the passenger airbag and ripped all the sound deadening out.
Getting the sound deadening out from behind the heater was fun (not) but managed to lose another 6kg.
I reckon the weight loss so far is now nudging 60-70kg which is the equivalent to a passenger so should make a bit of a difference.

Some pics of it all stripped with the sound deadening gone and the wiring tidied up..
IMG_6085.jpg

New cables fitted
IMG_6087.jpg

Even binned the sound deadening around the pedals ;)
IMG_6093.jpg

And then all back together again rattle free!
IMG_6088.jpg

I've started sanding all the interior down now ready for painting. Need to go buy some mondial blue from somewhere and then start masking the dash and windows off ready for spraying it in 2 weeks

Literally can't wait to go and collect my roll cage and start welding that in!

Oh nearly forgot - had a think about flocking and it's £180 that I can put towards some tyres so I'm not bothering
It was always a "nice to have" rather than an essential anyway

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Great read Phil,

We are at similar levels to you at the moment with our car. Opted for 1/2 cage to see us through for rest of the season but will probably get full cage over the winter etc.

I removed the dash on ours only a couple of weeks ago so your pictures are a bit de ja vu :)
I particularly like that all your carpet and sound deadening has gone but you have kept a solitary gear gaiter for refinement-lol

I will keep an eye on this thread!

Nick

LOL I'm putting the center console bit back in as I hate the look of that plastic gear thing and the airbag ecu
I weighed them and decided they werent worth binning

I'm currently conflicted about the door cards.
I quite like the way they fit and I'm keeping electric windows and mirrors for now - but then the door bars for the cage won't fit with them in place
So they might get ditched for carbon fibre ones

I don't want to strip it to a point where I can't bear being in it though as 4,000 mile euro road trip next year will be hell lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I made some door cards up out of 3mm black foamalux! I don't have opening windows as such because i'm using perspex, but on my trip to the 'Ring in july it wasn't bad at all. I've got a fully stripped and caged cup. The stereo was retained and i just mounted the original speakers in the door trims. No rattles either!

I've still got the templates for the door and quarter trims so could knock some up again.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes mate. Pm me your email address and i'll send them to you. I've bonded the door handles into the door cards as well, so the internal skin of the door can be cut out. All thats left to do with them is get them flocked to match my dash.

I see your in Lincoln as well! My home town!! Parents still live there.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Also my lower dashboard was knackered. A previous owner had snapped a bit of it off near the middle and then glued it all back together. Ugh.

Not me ;)

I've also had a problem where the heater controls won't let me choose demist and when I got the dash apart I found the cable had snapped and someone had bodged it back together with an electrical connector LOL.

Me :p It snapped whilst halfway through the Pyrenees in 35 degrees heat. Bodged it back together & it worked luverly.

Project is looking good Phil, have you bought some non-sh1t tyres yet?

Hahahahaa well if you were abroard I can understand the fix so I'll let you off just this once ;)

The new dashboard has made driving it sooo much nicer - there is literally not a single squeek or rattle at all now - just the burble of the exhaust :)

I haven't bought tyres yet because I kinda emptied my bank this month to get the roll cage. I should be buying a full set or R1R's before brands hatch though - just waiting on a few clients to pay invoices ;)

I've also bought a new induction kit - after the piss taking I received over my lovely open filter that I've got now LOL - gone for a BMC CDA as I know a few people on here sl.ag them off but I loved it on my 106. Gonna fit a 30degree silicon hose and point it at the back of the passenger headlight - should work ok

After receiving a fair bit of abuse for my open AEM filter bolted straight to the throttle body (lol) I picked a cheap BMC CDA up for £40

Bodged it on today with a cold air pipe pointing at passenger headlight

Photo%2027-08-2011%2013%2012%2049.jpeg

Sorry for crappy iPhone pic

Looks ok - I had to chop a 90degree hose up though and it doesn't fit too well (hence the tape) so just ordered a 45 degree silicon elbow off ebay
Also I think it could really do with a bracket around it - but it didn't come with the BMC bracket and I can't find one for sale anywhere :(
Anyone got any ideas? I wondered if I could maybe make a bracket going to one of the jubilee clips to give it a bit of stability - or maybe I could find a big strap to go around it from an exhaust place or something?

Small update (sorry for huge iPhone crap pic)

Photo%2007-09-2011%2018%2055%2008.jpeg

It fits ;)

Booked in Saturday 17th for mounts fabricating and welding with French Sport Tuning :D

Painting was a disaster - my garage, £600 bike, and car (which was outside) were all covered in overspray - took me all night to clean off last night with a clay bar
£60 in paint and sandpaper and it's covered in runs and you can still see green through it

But f**k it - it's in and it'll be welded up for Brands Hatch on 22nd - then I'm gonna take it out over winter and get it powder coated and pay a bodyshop to paint all the interior :D

Seats are up for sale on ClioSport - should be getting some Bimarco Futura's with side mounts at the end of the month
Then just need harnesses that can attach to the cage and I'm done for 2011

Need to concentrate on the house a bit over winter and catching up on freelance work

Qashcow
:) painting that cage was a nightmare first time round, as I'm sire you could tell there was one section where you could still see the steel code through the paint. Likely was hidden when fitted

Don't know about others, but I couldn't see any pics in the last post

Sorry

It's an awful photo anyway

Photo%2007-09-2011%2018%2055%2008.jpeg

Yeah I had no idea how hard it was to paint a roll cage - most of the paint misses it lol

I think i'm gonna get it blasted and powder coated over winter while it's off the road

Quick pre-brands hatch update

Went over to FrenchSport Tuning on Saturday and got the cage welded in
Absolutely over the moon with the work.

The platforms that Bomber gave me were not very well welded together (no disrespect mate - I couldn't do any better LOL)
But we decided to re-use them

The middle platforms we angle ground the old plates off - welded new ones on and tweeked them to fit. Then welded them in
The front ones we weren't confident the welded in nuts would hold so we cleaned up all the welds, knocked the nuts out of them and welded new ones in
Lots of filling weld and grinding/sanding later and I'm chuffed how well it all turned out

Quick phone pics from saturday... (I'll get better ones next time my camera is out)

Pic of the old platform before cleaning up :(
Photo%2017-09-2011%2012%2059%2012.jpg

The boys cleaning up the old platforms
Photo%2019-09-2011%2017%2058%2035.jpg

Cleaning up the area to weld
Photo%2019-09-2011%2017%2058%2028.jpg

Then on with the welding - the lad is amazing!
Photo%2019-09-2011%2017%2058%2002.jpg

Mark on fire-watch LOL
Photo%2019-09-2011%2017%2058%2015.jpg

Spot welded in place while we get everything else lined up
Photo%2019-09-2011%2017%2058%2023.jpg

Then a few of the finished thing
332424_2413985192455_1336065306_32799091_143449846_o.jpg

337391_2413984152429_1336065306_32799090_33071848_o.jpg

330959_2413982072377_1336065306_32799088_943334948_o.jpg

I've also had 2 new tyres fitted to replace the ones I killed at FCS and been for tracking
Rather embarrasingly the front was 2.5 out on both sides - toe in.
That'll explain the understeer then!

Got the camber setup to -2.5degrees and 10 minutes of toe out added

Looking forward to thursday now!

Also adapted my harnesses to fit the cage and fitted a camera mount bracket for the gopro.
I'll add better camera photos after Thursday

clio 172 cup
I spotted this car on monday i think. it wasnt sat outside the formula one garage next to gsf parts was it? Im new to cliosport and lincoln and i to own a 172 cup..in standard trim at the min. Great to see that there is a few of them in the city, spotted 3 now. Like what you have done to yours so far, i would love to eventually start playing with the cup, as before it i had a 106 track car that i had for 6 years and loved every min of it. If you spot me or the mrs in the car then give us a wave..the reg is un mistakeable AP53 FKO

It's getting there :)

I'm currently negotiating a second hand set of Jenveys that I'm hoping will be mine in a few weeks.
Then she's coming off the road for winter to have an engine over-haul and a general tidy up
Aiming to hit the tracks again next year with 200bhp and some bigger brakes :D

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
shame i havent seen this about, love the cage! this is the way mines going next year :D

Yeah it doesn't get out much
It's just a late night / weekend / track **** lol

It'll be garaged away over winter having some engine work - but we should get a lincs meet going in the new year!

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Yeah it doesn't get out much
It's just a late night / weekend / track **** lol

It'll be garaged away over winter having some engine work - but we should get a lincs meet going in the new year!

Sounds like a plan!

Well I think my car at 126k and after 2 years of ownership where I've done virtually no maintenance work at all on it - has finally decided it wants pampering a bit

Drove it to work today to get the brakes cleaned off before I take it to Anglesey on friday - and the starter motor solenoid has died
I have to t**t it with a hammer every time to get it to start LOL

Looks like a pig of a job - but as long as I can get through the weekend then it's off in the garage for some serious winter TLC
And this sounds like the ideal excuse to drop the subframe off and swap the 172 manifold for a 182 one with sports cat :D

Clio 182 Trophy
epic project! one question though... does the cage not block your view of the wing mirrors as it obviously sits in front of the dash and not inside it.

Great work mate :)

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
epic project! one question though... does the cage not block your view of the wing mirrors as it obviously sits in front of the dash and not inside it.
It will on the left one (about 1/3 of the mirror), but drivers side is ok.

Two things:

1. Please learn to heal & toe
2. You still seem to be suffering from loads of understeer?

Sounds nice though!
Hmm, yeah, what sort of geo have you got up front? Rear anti roll bar or not?

Does sound very good!