ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

Close up pics of this bumper mod nick/phil?

Cars looking well on track :) going to have a gander at this saturday, ill be the lanky bloke with a mop like hair cut prodding the gear stick.

haha yes stick with it buddy you know it makes sense. Do you have any other track days planned? Would be good to pop along, esp if Cadwell, im hoping my car will be roadworthy next week

Yeah definitely - just not sure what.
I really want to get back to Brands Hatch as it was the first track I did, I love it and know it well.
I also want to get back to Anglesey and do another day at Donington - but pretty busy with work at the moment so will just have to see what I can squeeze in :)

Lose the glass

Looks at home at Cadwell. Have you cammed it yet?

I toyed with losing the glass - but the weight loss isn't that great and I do still use the car at weekends for a blat to the coast and stuff. I don't fancy cooking in a perspex box lol

Looks at home on track. I do like this cup.

Cheers bro :)

Minor update...

Swapped my 90mm trumpets for 120mm ones

e00b518ee40711e2831f22000a9f13a0_7.jpg

Sorry for the crap instagram pic

Also found one of my injectors was missing - which was causing a bit of a missfire and apparently ruining my MPG quite a bit
Had 8 injectors so played around till I found a good set - car feels loads smoother already and I'm getting 38mpg again LOL!!

I don't know if it's the injectors or the trumpets but it sounds a lot throatier now and pulls better from low revs.

Off back on the rollers next month hopefully to do some back-to-back tests with the 90mm/120mm trumpets and give the map a tweak :)

In THEORY (and a few people have tested them) - the longer inlet length should bring the torque curve a bit lower down the revs - so there's a bit more mid-end grunt

I figure as renaultsport designed the original inlet to go all the way up and over the engine to get the longest length possible there must be something in the theory :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
In THEORY (and a few people have tested them) - the longer inlet length should bring the torque curve a bit lower down the revs - so there's a bit more mid-end grunt

I figure as renaultsport designed the original inlet to go all the way up and over the engine to get the longest length possible there must be something in the theory :)

General rule of thumb is longer is better for low down power and shorter is better for high rpm power.

The length you have now is probably optimum at around 10-12 Krpm though, so it really is a case of more is better.

Correct... but you kinda have to stick to the physical dimensions of the car

The length I had before was optimum more around 12-14Krpm so at least I'm going in the right direction lol

A few of the 106 lads tried curved trumpets - some even 180 degree ones that came up and over the engine. Got some interesting results

I think you could get 150mm trumpets on the Clio if you angled them down 10degrees or so - but there isn't a filter big enough for them and Jenvey don't make anything over 120mm so you'd end up in custom parts territory pretty quickly

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A few of the 106 lads tried curved trumpets - some even 180 degree ones that came up and over the engine. Got some interesting results

I think you could get 150mm trumpets on the Clio if you angled them down 10degrees or so - but there isn't a filter big enough for them and Jenvey don't make anything over 120mm so you'd end up in custom parts territory pretty quickly

Yeah its a case of just putting the longest ones that fit in fairly easily and just live with it, anything else isnt worth the hassle for the relatively small gains.

I don't think it would fit

I run
60mm carbon reverie backing plate - with the C603D filter
It gives 150mm internal clearance - but that means really you can only run 120mm trumpets as you need air space between the end of the trumpets and the filter

You could try the C604D which gives 125mm internally - but it wouldn't fit with the bonnet on lol

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
lots of up and over testing done on the 197 a few years back too (at omex, back when i was working there)

final product being this
10122008095.jpg

Sorry Tony.

Unfortunately it just doesn't get used enough to justify the amount of money that's gone into it.
I'd love to say next year I'll have a trailer and be at the french series with you guys.. but I just can't see it happening :(

:(

If I hadn't had the cage welded in and the whole inside of the car painted I MIGHT have been able to bring myself to split it for parts and scrap the shell. But so much time and money has gone into making it look like a complete car it would destroy me ripping it all apart now :(

I can't keep pumping money into something I don't use though - it's madness

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
If you can hold out for a good price that's cool, too many of these types of cars get sold far to cheap considering what goes into them.

GLWS:)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
:(

If I hadn't had the cage welded in and the whole inside of the car painted I MIGHT have been able to bring myself to split it for parts and scrap the shell. But so much time and money has gone into making it look like a complete car it would destroy me ripping it all apart now :(

I can't keep pumping money into something I don't use though - it's madness

See that's the difference for me with the Astra as its the engine, box, suspension and fuel system that are worth the money to make stripping it feasible. I didn't have a cage as the car was a 2bar boost sleeper! Caught many an unsuspecting supercar driver out in that car! The bodyshell is in mint condition, but I wouldn't think twice about taking the kit off and weighing the remainder of the shell in.

You could always cut the cage out of your shell btw phil. A couple of strategic attacks with a 9" and your laughing.

How much would you roughly say you've spent on it btw? My budget is 10k for everything. That included buying the car and preparing it in that price too.

See that's the difference for me with the Astra as its the engine, box, suspension and fuel system that are worth the money to make stripping it feasible. I didn't have a cage as the car was a 2bar boost sleeper! Caught many an unsuspecting supercar driver out in that car! The bodyshell is in mint condition, but I wouldn't think twice about taking the kit off and weighing the remainder of the shell in.

You could always cut the cage out of your shell btw phil. A couple of strategic attacks with a 9" and your laughing.

How much would you roughly say you've spent on it btw? My budget is 10k for everything. That included buying the car and preparing it in that price too.

Including buying the car (which at the time was £3600) - it's been more like £12k I think last time I added up

Used to do a fair bit in it before ITB's - Anglesey, brands hatch twice, nurburgring, rockingham.
But then the ITB's went on and my girlfriend quit her job to go back to uni and money was really tight - so I've done Anglesey again with James (bigash), half a day at Donington and Cadwell.

That's what really bothers me the most - all that money gone into ITB's and the brand new KW's on it and 4 pots and I've barely used it.
It's such a capable car.

I'd love to be able to keep it - but having all that money in a track car means my daily/weekend car is a boring Passat Tdi and I want something more fun.
I am kinda tempted to just flog the Passat and get a DC2 integra though - but having 2 really quick impractical cars seems a bit daft lol