ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track Project

If you could that would be awesome

I'm gutting the interior out of mine today and want to try to remove any brackets and smooth them over before I spray all the interior matt black :)

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Here you go.

Top one on arch:

cut1.jpg

Bottom one on arch:

cut3.jpg

And the ones that the rear seat pan mount to.

'Vertical' (just behind the front seats, 4 of them from memory):

cut2.jpg

'Horizontal' (on the flat bit where the rear seat pan goes):

cut4.jpg

You can work out pretty clearly where they are tacked on, then just cut around with the grinder and bend/flex until it snaps, then tidy up with flapping disc. I didn't bother removing the bits that are left over (clearly, duh!) as it's tidy enough for me, but with time/patience you could do it.

If you want any more help just shout, but about to head home so won't be near a PC much again until Tuesday.

And another quick pic cos I forgot to get one after I'd made it... Pretty solid, but still need to spray up that extra 'brace' and possibly beef up the bottom bend as it has a habit of oscillating and making the footage a bit shaky on bumpy stuff.

mount.jpg

Absolute legend thanks for that mate

Got a flap wheel for the drill and got an angle grinder - so I now know what my bank holiday weekend is going to spent doing :D

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Good stuff! I would perhaps give the drill a go with the flapping disc, but I think using the grinder instead might be faster/easier, one of these badboys: http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j...luminum-Oxide-Flap-Disc-with-Plastic-Base.jpg - they seem to be pretty quick at removing material, at least on a par with a grinding disc when it's thin sections.

Top tip - wear a hood. I got a lot of burnt bits of hair after hot bits pinged off the roof and back down onto me!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Haha, nice... Maybe gaffer tape some fireproof cloth to it or something?

Glove box...

grga9020kd.jpg

You know what's next ;)

Needs about 30-40mm off the side, or - if you are a numpty like me - you'll take 30mm off then realise you have to remove the front part of the cage to get the dash back out to cut more off once you've fitted padding!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
More home made stuff :eek:

Clip on sun visor for my roll cage. Can make 2 for under a fiver!

I've put a thread in the Guides section which should hopefully be approved soon...

vis13.jpg

vis14.jpg

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
love the work tartyboy making your own stuff is brilliant the visors is something i never got round to in my old hybrid :(

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Thanking you! More to come I'm sure... haha.

Actually made some new visors yesterday, a lot easier and neater this time. The B&Q '32mm pipe clips' are actually 35mm and this is the perfect size to clip on without any sort of 'shim' (cage is 38mm).

The main sheet is 1mm HDPE this time, much neater. They are about 1" deeper too which seems to be a better size, much better coverage!

32mm1.jpg

32mm2.jpg

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
yep, let me know how you get on with them!

Cheers, Matt
Put 100 miles through them at Cadwell yesterday. Copied and pasted from another forum...

I've not used 888s before, but have used Dunlop DJ01s (which I believe are the older version of these: http://www.demon-twe...nlop+track+tyre). The Federals seem just as grippy in the dry, maybe not QUITE as stiff in the sidewalls though and seemed to 'go off' a bit faster. I am guessing this is due to them being new (deep tread) and having a few more grooves. Wear rate was normal too, no faster than I've found before on other tyres.

However, the 'downside' of the grooves in dry seems to have a bonus - they were amazing in the rain. Had a session of instruction booked and the heavens opened - even the instructor commented on how good they were! Rained so hard I had to have the wipers on full speed, but still was only about 6 sec slower over a 2 minute lap.

Need to add a bit of negative camber up front as the outside edges wore a little bit extra, but very impressed so far
smile.gif

In other news... power steering pressure sensor shat itself after about 15 mins of track time, the Renault dealer in Louth had one in stock and weren't surprised to see mine broken, then bent me over to the tune of £100. Ah well, better than having to go home! Other than that (and some weird issue with PAS fluid coming out of the reservoir cap), the car was faultless all day and seemed very easy to drive consistently at 90-95%. Had a passenger ride in my mate's Westfield though... error...

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
  Sore Subject
Hi Adam, long time no speak. just read through the thread, you have made some serious changes to the car, looking good matey, thought you said you had little skills when it cme to making stuff yourself? your showing some right talent off there with all your little bits lol ;)
We are going to Anglesey on the 21st of July, if you are free to join us this time now you got the car ready???
Ash

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Hey Ash,

Haha, cheers mate, it does seem to have come together reasonably well actually, slightly shocked!

21st July... could be on for that, who's it with? Done 2 track days in the Clio now so all set.

Sore Subject
Circut days mate! We used them last time we where at anglesey and it was a brilliant day! Is only £149 too.

Yeah looking good mate, seems you have put a lot of effort in to it whereas we just slung ours together and hoped for the best lol.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Circut days mate! We used them last time we where at anglesey and it was a brilliant day! Is only £149 too.

Yeah looking good mate, seems you have put a lot of effort in to it whereas we just slung ours together and hoped for the best lol.
Ah cool, I'll have a look into it, really wanna do Anglesey!

Haha, well if it works :p

good looking project there fella. im loving the clip on sun visors lol
Thanks dude!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Thanks! Sweet, will do. Tempted to take a trip to JK Composites at some point, so that could tie in nicely...

Fiesta ST3
yeah mate! theres only one other rs clio in southport and he's a ignorant f***er, so it would be nice to see one =]

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Hope you don’t mind Adam, but thought as I have now bought your car, I would carry on the thread where you left off.
Major news on the car is we have had a few electrical problems. Started out of the blue one day with the management light coming on! Tried new pedal, new TB etc etc. Booked it in to Diamond Motors, but in the mean time, did some checks as recommended by Mick at DM and managed to sort the problem!!!
Anyway, the car has now had quite a bit of work done to it, which I will bring you up to date on after the first trackday which is booked for the 26/7 at Donnington.
Here is a pic of the car as it is now as a bit of a teaser.

racinggrey.jpg

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Not a problem at all, would love to see how it progresses! Looks awesome in those colours too :)

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Thanks Adam.

Got a bit giddy last night and booked another track day! 2/7 at Donnington. My friend Stuart has been putting the finishing touches to the car today. All the insides are black now apart from the roof. Stu's mate is making up the vinyls for the tow loops, number boards and my name for the side windows. Shame the tyre sure system isn't working as this would have been really useful. Will probably use the feed from it to power the on board camera recorder instead.

Cant wait to get it going around Donnington, just hope for good weather. Also looking forward to meeting my race engineer on the night. The team is starting to come together. Just hope my driving is up to scratch.

Promise more pictures and an update after Monday night. Will spend the weekend fussing over the last bits and pieces and making sure I have everything to take to the circuit.

All we need now are some sponsors!!! :)

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
Looks good from the rear but the center grilles painted orange are too much. Apart from that keep it up :)

Clio 172 Cup Racer
You don't hang around do you!

As a track/race car I think the front end works.

Know my way around a clio! Should have the last few bits this weekend as its my birthday :).

Plan is to get some track time in this year, then strip and rebuild over winter to include a diff and hopefully some engine work. Will also get the dampers overhauled and poss revalved. How's AY coming along?

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Just about ready for the engine. Fingers crossed we will have it back this weekend/early next week then wack it in ASAP. Looking forward to driving it again:)

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Mines insured as of midnight tonight! Will bring ithome tomorrow and fit the last of my new bits to it and then get ready for Monday night at Donnington. Also need to sort out my in car camera kit and get that in so I have some footage. Look forward to seeing AY52 again soon. Bet you cant wait to get the lump back in.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Hehe. Like the moment down craners:) very slippy track when damp/wet.

Reminds me when my mates Clio had semi slicks and I forgot to warm them up - exactly the same place.

You need to sort out the audio though as the video sounds distorted?

Clio 172 Cup Racer
What is it with these Renaults? After an eventful night at a very wet Donnington, the last half hour was where the problems started.
The brakes had been making an odd noise all night on and off, which I put down to conditions and me not using them in anger before! Then a misfire developed around 5000 rpm, which actually helped me get around the old hairpin and copse!
On the way home after the session, the car dropped onto 3 cylinders, which was interesting while negotiating traffic lights etc.
The following week, I made it down to the workshop to investigate the misfire and strip down the brakes etc to check everything was OK.
The misfire turned out to be the coil pack, however, I also changed the plug leads and the plugs, which is another story.
Upon stripping the font brakes, I found the reason for the strange noise from the brakes:

URL]

A quick call to K-Tec Racing established that this is a warranty issue with a batch of pads from Carbon Lorraine and that they would be replaced FOC. Result! Only problem is they are not due into the country until next week. My next trackday is booked for the 26/7, so hope everything comes together by then.
Here is the car just before the session at Donnington:

URL]

Next steps are to try and get hold of some track rubber, as the road tyres we are running at the moment won’t last long and won’t give us the feedback we need for set up.
I will be machining the front struts to allow more camber and replacing the camber bolts with new Renault items. And finally……………………..praying for a dry evening!!!!