ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo - Track Car

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Mount the pump on the outside of the vehicle, the whining from it will piss you off!!
Have you mounted yours elsewhere mate? If so where, I'm open to suggestions!

Hi
Great project :up: The ups and downs of tunning...sounds like you your going to have a right weapon :up::up:

Good luck with it!

Thanks mate - it's getting there! not bad for a one owner from new jobby!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Have you mounted yours elsewhere mate? If so where, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks mate - it's getting there! not bad for a one owner from new jobby!

Yes mate I mounted it up under the boot floor near the filler neck, it's a good place for it, swirl pot is in the boot though... I did have my pump in the boot but it soon gets boring!!

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Thanks mate - it's getting there! not bad for a one owner from new jobby![/QUOTE]

We are in a rare band of new mk 2 clio.. Had mine since March 2001
#oneownerfromnewfriends :up: lol

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Again....quite a few months since I've updated this...

I've decided I'm going to try and make a leap into Time Attack. I've been toying with the idea for a few years but always talked myself out of it. So I decided to just do it!
That means updating some well overdue parts! See below for some problems and solutions!

Problem 1: Suspension in 11+ years old, starting to leak very slightly and generally needing an upgrade.
Solution: AST 4100 have been ordered

Problem 2: Gearbox history is unknown and with 350hp to put down a diff is deffo needed.
Solution: New gearbox purchased, a general check over will be completed and parts replaced if necessary - oh and a quaife fitted at the same time

Problem 3: Discs have been on there for a good few track days and are starting to get tired. Rears are shot, rusty as hell!
Solution: New OE rear discs and pads, brembo max front discs to go with my DS 1.11 pads for track

Problem 4: Fuel Surge
Solution: surge tank and additional pump will need to be ordered (not yet done)

Problem 5: All bushes are the original 13 year old items and starting to perish
Solution: Full car kit of black series bushes

I think that's it for now! Keep posted for more updates and a lot more pics!

I really need to keep this more up to date!

I've solved problems 1, 2 3 & 5. Problem 4 is still in progress... I'll update shortly, with pics etc

Cup Turbo, Flamer
So in a nut shell. I had another baby May last year, which completely put a holt to all my plans of going racing last year. Probably for the best really! So over the last 8 months or so I've done and completed the following work...

1. Sourced a Phase 1 gearbox (longer 5th gear) and fitted a Quaife diff
  2. Stripped the subframe, wishbone and ARB down and had them powder coated Kawasaki green
  3. Black Series wishbone bushes
  4. Black series ARB bushes inner and outer
  5. Black series dogbone mount
  6. Black series steeting rack mounts
  7. New ball joints
  8. New TRE's
  9. New AST 5100 series coilovers with race spec spring ratings
  10. new top mounts
  11. Gearbox oil
  12. Engine oil and filter
  13. Discs and pads all round
Now all of the above is done and fitted, I just need to source and build in the fuel swirl pot. I've also applied for the 1st bit of my national B race license which should come soon! The the plan will be to sign up to Time Attack and see what I can do!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
D0429CB6-47F1-440E-B127-4E42EBBC83B3.jpg

B6722FFD-1C34-47CB-BFEE-1F3D6AA32F91_1.jpg

F9FF8C65-D9BE-4D2A-A1BA-1EB7F748BCE2.jpg

89F4453F-F57C-41E4-8EC0-A52FFC568C9D.jpg

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
You certainly won't lose those powder coated bits in the dark :cool: will be a proper weapon with all those tasty upgrades mate.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Going well there fella

Cheers! We still haven't managed to get that mini meet sorted have we?!

You certainly won't lose those powder coated bits in the dark :cool: will be a proper weapon with all those tasty upgrades mate.

They're a bit brighter than what I was expecting haha! Hopefully so, I'm not expecting to be mega quick straight away, but a good place to start!

Well, with a Time Attack mention, this just got serious!

Look forward to seeing this flying around at brands :up:
Good luck with the build bud, I hope all goes well.
When do you plan on having the car ready and built for racing?

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Well, with a Time Attack mention, this just got serious!

Look forward to seeing this flying around at brands :up:
Good luck with the build bud, I hope all goes well.
When do you plan on having the car ready and built for racing?

I think the car will be ready before I will be lol! I'm hoping to book the ARDS by end of this month / early May. The hopefully get some funds together to get all the bits I had forgot about..

• Race suit
  • HANs device and helmet
  • new harnesses as mine are out of date
  • fire extinguisher
  • check to make sure my seats are still in date (god I hope so!!!)
  • then check up on the scrutineers manual to make sure I've got everything I need

All that's left really is fill the car with fluids, stick the wheels on and get all the geometry set up, corner weighted etc I've ordered some bits for the fuel swirl put too, so hopefully I can plumb all that in soon.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
So I've hit an it of a stumbling block with this racing malarkey....my roll cage doesn't seem to meet the required regs anymore!! Seems the MSA changed the rules around dash dodgers a few years back!

So I think the plan for this year is to get the car running and do as many track days as I can, and finish off getting the race license.

Then look into re-shelling and getting a proper cage put it, then I can swap all the bits over!

I was probably getting a bit ahead of myself, thinking I've got a cage and some bucket seats, bingo I've got a race car!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So I've hit an it of a stumbling block with this racing malarkey....my roll cage doesn't seem to meet the required regs anymore!! Seems the MSA changed the rules around dash dodgers a few years back!

So I think the plan for this year is to get the car running and do as many track days as I can, and finish off getting the race license.

Then look into re-shelling and getting a proper cage put it, then I can swap all the bits over!

I was probably getting a bit ahead of myself, thinking I've got a cage and some bucket seats, bingo I've got a race car!
If it's a safety devices dash dodger, you can get it exchanged for a non dash dodger mate. There's a thread on here, so I'd have a look and see if you qualify. Assuming it's an SD cage of course.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
If it's a safety devices dash dodger, you can get it exchanged for a non dash dodger mate. There's a thread on here, so I'd have a look and see if you qualify. Assuming it's an SD cage of course.

Yeah I was reading up about that, unfortunately mine isn't an SD cage. It's an OMP 6 point from about 10 years ago! No markings on it so can't trace the serial numbers etc. I thought it'd be ok with some door bars welded in.

Not sure on the rules around cutting the front section out and re-doing it rather than a full new cage? In my head tho, that's just a bodged and wouldn't be great at all. Just a cheap way around it

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I was reading up about that, unfortunately mine isn't an SD cage. It's an OMP 6 point from about 10 years ago! No markings on it so can't trace the serial numbers etc. I thought it'd be ok with some door bars welded in.

Not sure on the rules around cutting the front section out and re-doing it rather than a full new cage? In my head tho, that's just a bodged and wouldn't be great at all. Just a cheap way around it
If the front section is joined to the main hoop with the bolted sleeve (most omp cages are like this), I'd just get the front section re made by a reputable company personally. It'll save you the hassle of messing about reshelling the car, and buying a new cage.
There are a fair few companies out there that could do the job properly, so it definitely wouldn't be a bodge.

182 Turbo
Met @Johnc172 today at brands, can confirm, rapid. 😂

Great read through this thread, i wasn't aware it had such history! i always wondered what happened to 519, i was absent from Clio ownership at the time, whats even worse though is clioturbo trying to get their scummy mits on it aswell, you could of got stung twice! enough to drive a man completely insane lol!

Time Attack would definitely be suitable for this beast! although i dont know the ins and outs of it they'd probably dump you in the supermodified class against the 800 bhp evo/scoobys :anguished:
It's not all about winning though, you could be a good competitor for the spoox 205 gti turbo! that things an animal.

Keep updating the thread, i wanna keep a close eye on this car you've had it for a damn long time! Let me know when you're at brands again!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Hello mate - nice talking to you, I'll let you know next time I'm heading down to Brands

I almost forgot all about this to be honest as photobucket wiped all the pics off, so thought it was pointless!

But now all the pics have found their way back, I need to do a major update!!

Met @Johnc172 today at brands, can confirm, rapid. 😂

Great read through this thread, i wasn't aware it had such history! i always wondered what happened to 519, i was absent from Clio ownership at the time, whats even worse though is clioturbo trying to get their scummy mits on it aswell, you could of got stung twice! enough to drive a man completely insane lol!

Time Attack would definitely be suitable for this beast! although i dont know the ins and outs of it they'd probably dump you in the supermodified class against the 800 bhp evo/scoobys :anguished:
It's not all about winning though, you could be a good competitor for the spoox 205 gti turbo! that things an animal.

Keep updating the thread, i wanna keep a close eye on this car you've had it for a damn long time! Let me know when you're at brands again!

172 Cup
Just read the thread start to finish too. Similar to Ayden182, I'm back in the Clio game now after 7-8 years. I have just recently brought a nail of a 172 cup and have ordered a shed load of parts due anytime now to rebuild it to a level im happy with for the moment & then a turbo build is the way forward for next year. As you are fairly close to me @Johnc172 , would you mind me coming over in the better weather for a nose over? Im 30 mins from Brands and want to get a few evenings in this summer. Similar to you, will slowly nut & bolt rebuild it all to the best standard possible. Fortunately for me, i can do it myself though saving myself a few ££££. Great project :)

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Just read the thread start to finish too. Similar to Ayden182, I'm back in the Clio game now after 7-8 years. I have just recently brought a nail of a 172 cup and have ordered a shed load of parts due anytime now to rebuild it to a level im happy with for the moment & then a turbo build is the way forward for next year. As you are fairly close to me @Johnc172 , would you mind me coming over in the better weather for a nose over? Im 30 mins from Brands and want to get a few evenings in this summer. Similar to you, will slowly nut & bolt rebuild it all to the best standard possible. Fortunately for me, i can do it myself though saving myself a few ££££. Great project :smile:

Thank! Bit of a long story eh! Getting yours and Aydon's posts has given me a bit of motivations to do an update! So i'll try and get one out today, with some pics and vids too