ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo - Track Car

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Not much of an update really, but I've wound to boost down one full turn on the bleed valve, it's much better but still get an overboost situation an d the car shuts down. I've just purchased a boost gauge so I'm going to wait for that to arrive and try to lower it some more.

According to the RR print out, boost peaked at 1.3 bar, no idea how true that is, but once the gauge is in I can see what's going on!

Re: The boost leak I found, how much boost would have been leaking from a hole the size of a 5p? Now that's been sealed, I'm assuming that's the route of my problem as it's now boosting more?!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Again.....no luck with this over boost problem.

I've wound the bleed valve to its let boost position, and its made no difference, on the bright side I've installed my boost gauge and that works lol! The car gets to around a bar and shuts off, that's in 4th in lower gears its much earlier, 0.5 if that. Must be all down to fuelling!

So K-tec are getting a call on Monday and I'll be going there, got to the stage where its better safe than sorry now! Don't want to push my luck too far.

Only thing I can think of is where it's been mapped previously with a boost leak, now it's sealed, it's causing all sorts of havoc!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is there a boost control solenoid?

If not it cant be anything to do with the mapping making it overshoot really.

HBT 172 Cup
Cheers for the input lads, a lot of that meant nothing to me haha!

I think I'll got down the same route as Laine and the 3 port valve, then take it down for a remap. Can this be fitted and then driven some distance before a remap or needs to be fitted at the same time?

My valve was fitted and i drove it about, in its de-enegized state the wastegate actuator see's the full pressure signal, so its as ifthe valve isnt there, just dont apply 12v to it and youl be fine ;)

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I will be, boost solenoid and a mapping session will be done over the next month or so hopefully. Unfortunately I inherited that bleed valve thing from the donor car!

The bit I'm confused about is that the engine ran spot on in the donor car, albeit with a boost leak, now the engine is in my car, its not right, so weird!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I was hoping I'd have more to update people with to be honest, but not much has happened!

i got punted up the arse by a 17 year old which halted all my plans....see this thread for pics

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?703068-Write-off

I've just got he car back with a straight and very happy. Boot is nice and straight and I've got a brand new bumper ready to go on once I sort my exhaust out.

Ive been in talks with Julian Godfrey about mapping, and also asked a few others in the southeast area for quotes etc. JRM in rye who do sumo power are on the list to.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks ill be able to get the exhaust sorted and then get it mapped.

ive also ordered the last couple of bits needed to get the donor car finished. Just a few bolts that went missing when we did the swap. I can then use that as my work car whilst its up for sale and get rid of 'pink sock' which is my shitheap red 106!

some more progress hopefully soon

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Cant wait, good luck. .
Cant believe I was close to buying the donor car and since then I've bought 3 clios.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Cant wait, good luck. .
Cant believe I was close to buying the donor car and since then I've bought 3 clios.

Cheers mate! It's taken a lot longer than I had originally planned (I wanted rid of the donor car by now!) I've got 4 cars at the moment and the wife is starting to get a bit fed up haha!

I'm torn whether to keep the 3" straight through and just get a new back box made so it gets rid of the oval pipe and make it ALOT quieter, or just buy a new system, but that'll involve sourcing an exhaust and a decat.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Best things are worth waiting for mate. . It'll be together in no time. . I remember when the thread started. . Seeing everyone getting stuck in. . Thought it was a straight forward job. . How little do I know eh

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Short Update...

Managed to find an exhaust and decat, K-tec supersports recessed system. Just waiting for the decat to arrive then it can go on. New rear bumper can then go on too.

I've contacted James @ S&MWM about checking the map out too, so just waiting to hear back from him and we should be good to go! Woop!

Progress is progress!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Found a potential culprit for the problems I've been having....

null-91.jpg

That's the turbo downpipe connecting to the exhaust - about a 1cm gap. The exhaust is so noisy anyway that I couldn't hear it blowing. I think this maybe the cause of my boost spike issues.....maybe....who knows!

Just need to find time to get it to a garage so they can fit the new system I've got. Attempted to do it yesterday but when the exhaust was put back on when the engine swap happened, somebody has used the wrong bolts (not the spring manifold kit ones) and they are both different ways round, plus they were done up with an air ratchet so I haven't got the guns to undo them!

It continues...

172 cup, Impreza P1
That should be a flexible joint with exhaust packing. It is to allow the joint to move on the 172 decat or cat section and prevent cracking of the down pipe.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I’ve got the exhaust on, runs much smoother than before, now not so much of a chore to drive and runs fine! Just need to get it in for a remap!

The before shot after I got it back from the body shop, still with that mega shizen exhaust

null-95.jpg

To what is it now…1010% better, still needs a bit of a tinker to get it to sit perfect in the space, but I’m much happier and sounds so much better.

null-92.jpg

null-93.jpg

So I managed to get the exhaust sorted, a mate had arranged a rolling road day on the Sunday just gone, so I thought it would be perfect to take the cup down there, give it a power run and see what issues it flagged up, properly excited as this would be its first run over 10 miles (even if it was only 30 miles to the RR!)

But I was halted in my tracks again! I found a petrol leak! It’s coming from the fuel return that runs back to the tank. It was dripping every 3 or so seconds, so not overly bad, but still wasn’t going to drive it! I thought it would be coming from the join at the top, so off came the fuel pump cover and the top was bone dry! Took the pipe off and as its braided, no way I was going to find a hole!

So another fuel line has been ordered and that’ll go on asap. Not a major set back and easy to fix, just an inconvenience, and better I found it now rather than flat out round paddock!

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
I would imagine you will have to go to Ktec to have it mapped as your Gen90 will be locked. Personally I would try and get ktec to unlock it for you and then take it to Paul at RSTuning.

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Efi would be fine if they or op has a gen90 dongal/software, Paul has these so no need to buy them and pay for mapping.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
RSTuning might be abit far to go for him Dom which is a shame.

I'm finding everywhere too far away! Closest I can find at the minute in Dan @ 519, I need to give him a call and have a chat.

I'd rather give K-tec a swerve based on current reviews, but saying that, it was originally mapped by them and when the engine was in the other car it was seemed to drive spot on

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Closest is not always the best way to go, worth travelling to get it done properly.

Very true! I'm trying to find a compromise at the moment, but if need be it'll be stuck on a trailor and taken where it needs to go!

Only other thing I could think off is that th dephaser solenoid wasn't bolted in, now it is....

Other than that everything is the same

Cup Turbo, Flamer
No real updates unfortunately, time really has got away from me. But here is a summary of where I'm at with both cars.

Cup Turbo

• Exhaust is blowing at manifold join needs looking at
  • Mapping

Red Clio

• Fit brand new circlip and spacer to gearbox
  • Bolt Driveshaft back in (new driveshaft bolts)
  • Sort the nearside brake line – goes the wrong way round the suspension strut
  • Bleed brakes
  • Fit my newly purchased bonnet
  • Fit new map sensor (old one broke when taking engine out)
  • Bolt Aircon pump back in
  • Connect power steering pipes
  • Fill gearbox oil
  • Swap alternator pulley with new (second hand) alternator purchased as old one snapped when pulling engine out
  • Fit new radiator as the old one has been subject to radweld or similar at some point
  • Fit Aux Belt
  • Fit Exhaust
  • Fill Power steering fluid
  • Swap UCH over
  • Swap Key blades over
  • Swap decoder ring

It sounds a lot initially, but only really 1 days work, as a lot of the above jobs are quick and easy

The plan is to then use the red clio as a work hack over winter and then sell in the new year. Whoever decides to buy it eventually will get a very decent car! Everything has been done properly and anything that needs doing has been done. Be a shame to see it go eventually I think!

From doing the swap, it highlighted all the other bodges that the red donor car had been subject too over the years, so quite confident it’ll be a nice car for me to use over winter! The interior is spotless too!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I'm so glad I didn't buy that car now as I couldn't of done any of the work it would of been a real money pit.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I'm so glad I didn't buy that car now as I couldn't of done any of the work it would of been a real money pit.

It's not really been a money pit! I've used the money received from selling the carbon bonnet, wheels, suspension, carbon engine cover, my old exhaust etc to pay for the parts for both cars, managed to get a stack boost gauge with the remainder too!

So with all that used up I'm back to just paying out for the car. If I sell the car for the going market rate then this conversion has cost me about £2.5k

Which, I'm sure anyone will agree, for a 300+hp forged engine and Willwood 4 pots is very reasonable.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I bought a silly cheap bonnet on eBay and it arrived this week, the guy said it needed a re spray as it had some extreme bird droppings on it, I hoped that it would polish out but it was past saving and does need a re spray. So I started the prep work today, sanded down all the problem areas and just need to go over the rest of the bonnet now, then ready for paint. I'm doing it all myself too to keep costs down. Here's the bonnet before

null_zps5b724ab9.jpg

null_zpse0faa346.jpg

and how it is at the moment

null_zps67c0c085.jpg

another hour or so of rubbing down needed then I'll get onto primer and colour

Because this has gone over some time, various different spares and parts are in all different places so decided to have a stock take to see what has gone missing, luckily nothing and managed to track everything down.

null_zps1ecdce73.jpg

After closer inspection of the rad, it'll actually be ok, it wasn't rad weld after all, just some gunk it had picked up from being in my shed for ages, a quick clean and all was fine, filled it up too to make sure there was no leaks and luckily good as!

I've now bolted the air con pump back in and loosely fitted the pipes so I could get an idea of what goes where. Also fitted a new map sensor.

I was was quickly running out of room so decided to put some bits on the car to save space in the shed. When I finished, I had something that vaguely resembled a car! I remember what it used to look like now!

null_zps32953dfe.jpg

null_zps1fc153c1.jpg

I covered the car back over and started tidying up. Unfortunately I then spotted a problem. A pool of oil under the NSR wheel, wondered WTF it was and then found this...

null_zps8b3e2022.jpg

null_zps5ba94fae.jpg

Yup, shock decided to piss its contents out onto my drive! Doh! Although not a big deal, still one more thing to add to the list as I cross others off! I'll be scouring eBay later this evening! Kind of glad it's happened now, as I can make sure it's perfect ready for when I start using it over winter, then for he new owner in the new year. Don't know why I'm so bothered really as I'm just going to sell it, but I like to do things properly!

I've got a mate of mine coming round next week to give me hand putting the new circlip and driveshaft in, also putting a new aux belt kit on at the same time, may as well as we're doing it anyway. Also found a new oil filter in the shed, so it'll be getting an oil change to!

Then hopefully after that it's just a few little bits to bolt on, fill with coolant, oil etc and see if she starts!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
To do list is getting shorter for the red car....

Sort the nearside brake line – goes the wrong way round the suspension strut
Bleed brakes
Bolt Aircon pump back in
Fill gearbox oil
Fit new radiator as the old one has been subject to radweld or similar at some point
Fit Exhaust
Fill Power steering fluid
Swap UCH over
Swap Key blades over
Swap decoder ring

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Some more boxes ticked.

• Sort the nearside brake line – goes the wrong way round the suspension strut
  • Bleed brakes
  • Fill gearbox oil

• Fill Power steering fluid
  • Coolant
  • Swap decoder ring (might not need to do this?!)
  • Fit new Rear shock (other one spilled its guts on my drive - see previous post)
  • See if she starts

I've nearly finished the bonnet too, some before and after pics. Just needs a few passes with some compound and a machine polisher and it'll come up good!

All primed up ready for sanding and paint

null_zps4a92d447.jpg

First coat on...

null_zpsadf02f74.jpg

....and then onto lacquer and clear coat

null_zps7ea3d8f2.jpg

Left it to dry inside for 24 hrs then broke out the wet and dry and compound (all done by hand but I'll machine the rest) to test an area to see what the finish is like, pretty impressed...

null_zpsa3353546.jpg

Not a bad colour match either...

null_zps0b26505a.jpg

null_zps4d4490df.jpg

Like I said, not perfect, but after a few passes with a machine, it should be all good!

Finally got the car on the ground after 6 months or so, bolted up all the aircon pipes, coolant hoses and clipped all the various sensors back in. IT LOOKS LIKE A CAR AGAIN!

null_zps5e6bdf31.jpg

null_zps14cc11c8.jpg

Swapped the UCH's and keys over as well, tested and they seem to unlock the right cars, so that's a start. Not sure if I need to swap the decoder rings over as well, but i'll wait and see if they start, if not, that'll be the first thing to check!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Plan is for this weekend to finish it off and see if she starts.

Still to fit:

New Battery
New Rear Shock
New Cat to Manifold fitting kit
Fluids

Turn key....see what happens