ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
High Boost Graph;
High%20Boost_zpsnjbnq04p.jpg

Low Boost Graph;
Low%20Boost_zpsui2qpgdm.jpg

Mapping day brought all sorts of problems, seized lambda sensors, exploding coolant bottles, popped heater matrix pipes, self loosening power steering pipes, fuel leaks, front bumper continually popping out at the side from scrubbing issues. Im am shocked i managed to get it back to Bristol! Even worse i didnt have break down cover!
Chris has done a pretty epic job at mapping it, im usually very picky in the most minor of faults but genuinely cant fault it, the car has never ran so smooth, no hesitation, no cold start issues, no accell fuelling issues, good on fuel, and for a very reasonable cost. So naturally he comes highly reccomended from me!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
If you have free'd some cash for a 02m, i have a complete package for sale with epic specs if you ask me.

HBT 172 Cup
Great job mate, would of loved to of seen what you made with 1 Bar, so far only Blightly and you have been in the ball park figure to what I made previously.

413bhp is really impressive, my EGTs were going mental at 380 so we turned the boost back down to 1.2 and 374bhp. Start buying spare gearboxes

Yeah EGT's are always a worry, i dont have a sensor so i dont know what its reaching, im very much playing the game of "there no gauge on my dash to worry me, so i wont worry". :D . I have some sort of reassurance, in that my friends Mk1 with F7P Turbo (2871'd with with the log also), which makes 375bhp but required 2 bar of boost to get there, and i know that give its driven hard (many many 150mph pulls), and touch would he hasnt melted any of his exhaust valves into oblivion. Its all a game of chance though really.

Need to get some onboard video with this acceleration. YOu have ?

Soon, i havent driven it since i got it back as i've run out of money as im moving into my own place in a couple of weeks, but im currenlty making up some custom coolant pipes to stop my issues.

HBT 172 Cup
What was the compression ratio on this one?
They are Megane RS wossner pistons (not the clio turbo specific ones), they were actually ordered by mistake but we stuck with them, they maintain the stock compression ratio on the meggy at 9:1. According to Engine dynamics the cyl head volumes are the same on the Clio and Meggy F4R's. So i used a slightly thicker gasket than the meggy (1.6mm vs stock 1.3mm), which brings it down to ~8.8:1. The engine has good response and manners off boost, so im happy with the choice.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
They are Megane RS wossner pistons (not the clio turbo specific ones), they were actually ordered by mistake but we stuck with them, they maintain the stock compression ratio on the meggy at 9:1. According to Engine dynamics the cyl head volumes are the same on the Clio and Meggy F4R's. So i used a slightly thicker gasket than the meggy (1.6mm vs stock 1.3mm), which brings it down to ~8.8:1. The engine has good response and manners off boost, so im happy with the choice.

That's my kind of build! Was literally looking at the very same Pistons :)

HBT 172 Cup
Thought it was about time i gave this a thread revive.

After the alternator failed last year i decided to take the car off the road, and in true typical clio turbo ownership its been off the road in parts ever since! Purcashing my own pad knocked my finances sideways and the car was definately not a priority at that point so i parked it in the garage and forgot about it.

However the summer is now upon us (well sort of), and i have a deep craving for boost so decided to sort it out!

4 things i need to sort to get the car back on the road. Suspension, clutch, gearbox and alternator. Suspension i sold the AST's after i had to DIY grind the 60mm spacing holes back down to 54mm i couldnt accurately set the camber both sides, so i took them off sold them and am about to purcahse a set of B14's. Perhaps a downgrade but the car is primarily a road car and these will suit better.

New alternator is on order (thanks RPD), am about to send the Helix paddle plate to CG motorsport to have it re-sintered.

The gearbox i have taken back to Agency. Although we can all agree i am pushing far too much torque through a JC5 i was dissapointed when the gearbox crunched 3rd and 4th on its first drive...and every other drive after that (bare in mind to this day the box only covered 1700 miles since it was agency last), i sent it in expecting syncros only, but had to have new forks, hubs, syncros, gears the lot. Think im going to have take it a little easier this time around! Some pictures of progress will follow this weekend!

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Intrested in the clutch rebuild im glad i kept the 4 hilux clutch that i pulled out of mine will be sent off as a spare soon. Car looks great there has been abit of bad press agaist agnecy at late with box's not lasting.

BOOST FTW

HBT 172 Cup
Intrested in the clutch rebuild im glad i kept the 4 hilux clutch that i pulled out of mine will be sent off as a spare soon. Car looks great there has been abit of bad press agaist agnecy at late with box's not lasting.

BOOST FTW

Yeah unfortunately the box was out of warranty period (it was done iust under 2 years ago). One cannot argue that the synrcos should not crunch on the first drive with the oil grade recommended by him (75w-90, but i later tried 75w80 after with no diference), somsomething was clearly not right off the mark. But when your stood there being completely honest hes still thinking "ive heard it all before, just another lad thats pumelled his syncros and wants free work".

Fortunately Martin is very ammicable and changed all the parts for a very reasonable price, and showed me thenbits that came out, which i cant aruge didnt look great (cracked selectors, worns gears). Another day in the life of renault cheese boxes. At least it didnt go bang though.

I am reconsidering O2M'ing over next winter, fortunately im not really one to give up, id rather hang even when its broken thann to a car than sell up, i try and justify it as a long term investment lol

Last edited:

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah unfortunately the box was out of warranty period (it was done iust under 2 years ago). One cannot argue that the synrcos should not crunch on the first drive with the oil grade recommended by him (75w-90, but i later tried 75w80 after with no diference), somsomething was clearly not right off the mark. But when your stood there being completely honest hes still thinking "ive heard it all before, just another lad thats pumelled his syncros and wants free work".

Fortunately Martin is very ammicable and changed all the parts for a very reasonable price, and showed me thenbits that came out, which i cant aruge didnt look great (cracked selectors, worns gears). Another day in the life of renault cheese boxes. At least it didnt go bang though.

I am reconsidering O2M'ing over next winter, fortunately im not really one to give up, id rather hang even when its broken thann to a car than sell up, i try and justify it as a long term investment lol

I have a spare 02M box if needed, great condition and low miles... I'd recommend only using the Renault NFJ oil as well in the JC5

I can't see why the standard box would if cheesed up so quickly either, yeah you have big power but it's not like you are dumping the clutch or being a tool with it is it? I did notice that helix clutches are s**t from my last effort and they actually drag a bit when the clutch is depressed/changing gears at high rpm... I think this plays a part in f**king up syncros!!

Glad it's back on the drawing board though!! [emoji4][emoji4]