ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo

HBT 172 Cup
Ive heard cheaper rods can often be out of round on the big end, and cause such problems. Part of the reason i was urged to buy catcam rods rather then bargain barrel china ones.

#cadpro

MANIFOLD_zps8bc77fba.jpg

Lionel Richie
Bearings were not the problem looking at that con rod, but lack of lubrication was.

Steve

100% the problem in my opinion, they give too much clearance (3thou! which is about 0.85mm in modern) when fitted, swap to normal and you get 1.5thou, checked it on Arrow's CMM machine, but plasti'd up fine (hate that too!)

182FF
Little end = where piston meets rod
Big end = where rod meets crank
Main = where crank meets block

Bigs and Mains have holes.

Chip, isn't the hole in the big end in the crankshaft and not in the shell itself? So there's no lining up to worry about like there is with a main. You won't get starvation if the big end spins a touch.

HBT 172 Cup
That manifold was my inspiration although id like to do a neater job. Fred what "normal" bearings do you use, which manufacturer?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip, isn't the hole in the big end in the crankshaft and not in the shell itself? So there's no lining up to worry about like there is with a main. You won't get starvation if the big end spins a touch.

Yes mate, the big end bearings only have a hole if its to supply a squirter hole in the rod, but the crank will still have the hole in it in all cases. Its the main spinning that is the big problem.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The oil goes in through the drillings in crank via the holes in the main bearings, and then comes out the holes in the big end bearings in order to lubricate the big ends.

Badly worded post from me there caused a small amount of confusion where Ive used the term bearing for both the shells and the journals, apologies that was sloppy, it should really have said:

The oil goes in through the drillings in the crank journals via the holes in the main bearing shells, and then comes out the holes in the big end bearing journals in order to lubricate the big end shells.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I think it would be quite a big ask to try and get equal length plus the turbo above the gearbox. Where you'd need to loop the shortest runner to gain length is where the starter motor sits. Plus the downpipe needs to be ran back through there as well so its really tight on space. I wonder (if you were using a custom inlet) if you could use the RStuning megane manifold and have the turbo on the top instead?

http://www.rstuning.co.uk/exhaust-s...d-p-201.html?zenid=adi85f7h2qjefnjh5mmh18hgu5

172 cup, Impreza P1
I think it would be quite a big ask to try and get equal length plus the turbo above the gearbox. Where you'd need to loop the shortest runner to gain length is where the starter motor sits. Plus the downpipe needs to be ran back through there as well so its really tight on space. I wonder (if you were using a custom inlet) if you could use the RStuning megane manifold and have the turbo on the top instead?

http://www.rstuning.co.uk/exhaust-s...d-p-201.html?zenid=adi85f7h2qjefnjh5mmh18hgu5

IMO on top is the way to go. Keep the hot stuff away from thing that dont like it.

Nice manifold the RS tuning one. Might try and make something myself like that.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
IMO on top is the way to go. Keep the hot stuff away from thing that dont like it.

Nice manifold the RS tuning one. Might try and make something myself like that.

Yeah the RS Tuning one is lovely, I'd quite like one but not sure I can justify the cost given my relatively basic turbo with internal gate.

321 is a decent grade too.

Wonder if its nortech made or if he is getting them done somewhere else, looks lovely either way.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I think even using that you would struggle to get a 3" downpipe back past and squeezed between the manifold and bulk head. Lets be honest if you go to the extent of a tubular manifold you'll be running a gt30+ and will need a big downpipe. Fives have a lots of space at the back of the engine as normally it has both the inlet and exhaust running off the back of the engine plus they don't have a flat bulk head like a clio.

100% the problem in my opinion, they give too much clearance (3thou! which is about 0.85mm in modern) when fitted, swap to normal and you get 1.5thou, checked it on Arrow's CMM machine, but plasti'd up fine (hate that too!)

If they measured up 3thou clearance did you use the extra clearance bearings ?
3 thou would give you low oil pressure did you not see that ?
I do not like ACL but they do the job.
There would have been enough oil for the rod but not if the main bearing spun blocking oil supply.

Steve

Lionel Richie
If they measured up 3thou clearance did you use the extra clearance bearings ?
3 thou would give you low oil pressure did you not see that ?
I do not like ACL but they do the job.
There would have been enough oil for the rod but not if the main bearing spun blocking oil supply.

Steve

no they were standard ACL's, they caused "the issue" on both PEC and Arrow (and i assume they'll do the same on others!) bearings are basically too big!

Lionel Richie
they'll be tagged in forged rods, so you have to use 1.8 16V/Williams bearings, loads do them, i use federal mogul/glyco/mahle, about £40 the set

340i
My rods have the cut outs for tagged bearings, but I've purchased standard / OE Renault bearings as I didnt want to use ACL's.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Nowt wrong with ACL's that I've come across. They are the only bearing used in most Scooby builds that are running big power and the bearing to use by most scooby engine builders.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nowt wrong with ACL's that I've come across. They are the only bearing used in most Scooby builds that are running big power and the bearing to use by most scooby engine builders.

Ive never had a problem with ACL Race bearings either.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
imo if an engine is healthy acl won't help a thing, isn't the oil film suppose to lubricate and keep the journal from touching the bearing?

HBT 172 Cup
Yes id probably say the primary function of our bearings should be debris embedability for a longer lasting more tolerant berings e.t.c we arent running 3000bhp engines afterall.

Lionel Richie

don't shoot the messenger! Arrow are as surprised as i am!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
imo if an engine is healthy acl won't help a thing, isn't the oil film suppose to lubricate and keep the journal from touching the bearing?

Yes, although if you have taken many engines apart you will see there is always at least a tiny bit of contact occaisonally, as the bearings have always got some tiny evidence at least that they have been used, and if the oil film always perfectly did its job 100% it wouldnt show any signs of use at all on the bearings.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Got a pic from my mate of the big end bearings we took out. No hole in these either...

null_zps62db4107.jpg

As I mentioned earlier mate the hole is in the bearing journal on the crank, not in the shells for the big ends.

Oil flow goes:
Gallery for mains
through main bearing shell
through main bearing journal
through crank
through big end bearing journal

HBT 172 Cup
Some shiny bits appeared :)

There may be an opportunity to get a GT3076-WG turbo, rid it of the T25 flange and fit a T3 one, but because it started life as the "WG" turbo it has a slightly compromised 56.5mm 90 trim turbine instead of the normal 60mm 86 trim turbine, but they may not be a bad thing. But it might not happen at all anyway. None the less, exciting :)

turbo_zpsd9cbf335.jpg

Some shiny bits appeared :)

There may be an opportunity to get a GT3076-WG turbo, rid it of the T25 flange and fit a T3 one, but because it started life as the "WG" turbo it has a slightly compromised 56.5mm 90 trim turbine instead of the normal 60mm 86 trim turbine, but they may not be a bad thing. But it might not happen at all anyway. None the less, exciting :)

turbo_zpsd9cbf335.jpg

Saw this pop up on FB, wondered if you were on here!

HBT 172 Cup
The WG work well anyway at 450+

How much do you actually want?

Have you got a diff yet?
Surely not on a T2 flange? I am trying to get away from these elevated EGT's assosiated with high power on the T2 flange?

No real power goals but just north of 400bhp would be nice, but then i can imagine a 4 paddle wont cope so a whole new ball game for another clutch then. If the 3076 comes though then 500 with a different box solution (+clutch). Ill probably never own another nutty car like this so may aswell get it out my system now before i find walnut interior trim more appealing than a powerful engine.

People turn around and say you may aswell be piling the money into an EVO or something, but i drove an EVO8 the other day and besides its awsome grip, its not "fun", terrible gearbox, gash seating position, accelerator felt numb, super s**te on fuel e.t.c Jump back in the clio and instant smile.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Surely not on a T2 flange?

Yep, not that its what I would personally choose.

I am trying to get away from these elevated EGT's assosiated with high power on the T2 flange?

If you actually peer into the turbo, its hard to see the flange as the restrictive bit at that level even on a T2 TBH, but Ive not personally done back to back testing, I do know of plenty of cars well over 400 on a T2 flange though.

No real power goals but just north of 400bhp would be nice, but then i can imagine a 4 paddle wont cope so a whole new ball game for another clutch then. If the 3076 comes though then 500 with a different box solution (+clutch). Ill probably never own another nutty car like this so may aswell get it out my system now before i find walnut interior trim more appealing than a powerful engine.

4 paddle probably ok if you have the uprated cover too, starts getting dear for twinplate though, my one in the nova was about 800 quid inc flywheel.

People turn around and say you may aswell be piling the money into an EVO or something, but i drove an EVO8 the other day and besides its awsome grip, its not "fun", terrible gearbox, gash seating position, accelerator felt numb, super s**te on fuel e.t.c Jump back in the clio and instant smile.

Agreed, they are a laugh!