ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 owners please help me.

im going to see a salesman next saturday while my 1.2 16v is being serviced, im really looking to exchange my car for a 172 or cup but honestly how much more are the running costs, im paying about 104 a year for tax, about 20 pound a weeks petrol, im not worried about the insurance cos i know i can afford that but i dont wanna get caught out by huge bills every year.

no probs m8, well tax will b the same obviously, and as 4 petrol, well that just depends how u drive. on a motorway i can sit at 80mph and still b returning 40odd to the gallon. when ragging it round country lanes i usually drop to about 36 per gallon. also consider the tyres will b bigger, and i go through mine about 15000 miles a set, but i rarely drive like a prat unless on a meet! doh tax will be more,just realised u in the tax break. am being a serious dumbass today! think a year is 180, but not sure. hope this helps

Tyres will need replacing much quicker than you can ever imagine. ( I need two sets per year ) £250 per time.

Servicing every 12,000 rather than 18.000

And of course youll wanna mod it. ££££

that sound quite affordable. u wouldnt believe this but im only getting 30mpg from my 1.2 16v, i do drive it hard though. yeah ive had enough im gonna change it. are the cups still being made?

i did the last beverly meet, started with a full tank,drove approx 30 miles at mostly 3 figures, and only used about 1 notch on the fuel gauge! was ragging it sommat silly too,was only when i got onto the m62 to come home, i started using more!

service will be more expensive, as will tyres, fronts last me 12k (just paid £63 per tyre)etc....I get about 32miles per gallon, and use a full tank of optimax per week...aprox £28

Road tax is £160 a year I think

hi,i have a cup, its got 7000 miles on it now and theres still plenty of tread on the tyres,the road tax is £160 for full year, the lowest mpg i get is 30mpg, and that is sat in heavy traffic doing a 7 mile journey in aprox an hour,so alot of sat queingyou can however do long journeys and get over 40mpg,and shorter journeys without traffic at about 36 mpg,the cup runs more econimical than a 1.6 focus company car i had a while back.

servicing is 12.000 miles or two years whichever is the sooner,but they dont cost much more than what you have now.

The cup is one brilliant car and you will be gobsmacked by what you can beat with it,dont listen to the usual rubbish about no abs and no toys (i have had all such toys in previous cars and you just dont use them),as the car goes very fast, stops brilliantly on standard brakes (uprated more than the 172), and goes round corners like you wouldnt believe, and you can do all this and still get 30 mpg,when you consider a scooby would probably only return you just over 10mpg when being ragged you cant go wrong.

Renault no longer make them but there are still a few with just delivery mileages knocking about,and you could pick one up for just under £11.000,and be its first owner and get 3 full years warranty so no more cost for 3 years.

hope you get one, and if you do you wont look back.

shaun

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

tyres dont cost anymore than if youd had a sset of alloys on. the road tax is a bit more but not much an as for petrol, i only use mine at thw wkend as my toy. with proper raggin it round the country roads where i live i still get **EDIT**back 26-7mpg wi a viper on.(not sure wot diff they maketo mpg) an bout 30-35 0n the motorway.**EDIT**

go for it mate you wont be dissapointed. insurance is the only major diff imo.

i found this " autoworld in willenhall west midlands today they have 11 cups in blue all 53 plates brand new £10999".

theres also some on ebay right now.

crap aftersales but then you just take it to your local reno garage.

dont think about there arent any downfalls,believe me,as for insurance try tesco, i paid £450 with protected no claims, and that swith the wife on.

lead foot tom eh! only joking tom, honest! some people will get more mpg,some will get less, just depends how u drive.i guess, if u hold a gear longer 4 max accelration then u will use more than someone who shortshifts and uses the torque! this is a guess, and im sure benr or somebody will explain it better

Leon TDI

The trip computer shows i average around 35mpg, although i have never double checked this by calculating it manually.
My 172 is cheaper to run than my MGF was.

Go on do it....the little extra you may pay is more than made up by the 172 being such a fun car :D

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Quote: Originally posted by Tom_172 on 28 March 2004

oh my god 30 mpg !!! with a viper i get about 23 if im lucky lol
yeah sorry tom edited. the 30mpg is motorway. rarely get irt as low as 23 tho.

Must try harder!!:devilish:

"I get about 32miles per gallon, and use a full tank of optimax per week...aprox £28"

Wow!...costs me £37 to fill with Optimax...whats the price per litre with you?

"on a motorway i can sit at 80mph and still b returning 40odd to the gallon."

40 odd?...are you sure you drive a 172?...you mean a 1.5dci right?

Quote: Originally posted by canfordcliffs on 28 March 2004

"I get about 32miles per gallon, and use a full tank of optimax per week...aprox £28"

79.9 I think....I very rarely get £30 in it....never let it run dry tho

Mmm cos on a 50 litre tank at 79.9p a litre thats ..ummm...£40...thought £28 sounded a bit low for a "full tank"....bummer I pay 83p down here on the south coast!

Mmm cos on a 50 litre tank at 79.9p a litre thats ..ummm...£40...thought £28 sounded a bit low for a "full tank"....bummer I pay 83p down here on the south coast!
As I said , I never let it run dry and always fill until the pump cuts out ( the needle always goes to the top!), but I didnt think that I left £10 worth in coz its only just above the R when I fill up....or I’ve got a smaller tank for some reason

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 28 March 2004

Na hes right, if I sit on the motorway at 70-80mph I get about 40MPG too.
Whatever speed im doin and however im drivin the computer tells me im doin 33 MPG, all the time.

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Viv172 on 28 March 2004

79.9 I think....I very rarely get £30 in it....never let it run dry tho
You dont live in London then do you! 82.9 here!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by johnny peanuts on 28 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 28 March 2004Na hes right, if I sit on the motorway at 70-80mph I get about 40MPG too.[/QUOTE] Whatever speed im doin and however im drivin the computer tells me im doin 33 MPG, all the time.

try resetting your trip computer after a fill up..

Quote: Originally posted by Viv172 on 28 March 2004

As I said , I never let it run dry and always fill until the pump cuts out ( the needle always goes to the top!), but I didnt think that I left £10 worth in coz its only just above the R when I fill up....or I’ve got a smaller tank for some reason
I let it go well into the red today, but still didnt manage to get £30 of optimax in??:confused:

R27

ive had it as low as 22 mpg never had it above 28 lol even when i reset it. come on 90 in 3rd 114 in 4th and 143 down the m42 lol