ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 squeak cambelt or fanbelt

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup
I recently have had a sqeaking noise when starting up my 172 cup, initially it was my alternator belt that needed replacing which soon sorted that problem out. However it has come back.
When i start the engine up and it has been sitting for a few hours, there is a loud squeak upon startup, then nothing then eventually a sqeak occurs, its definately a belt as it squeaks at certain points, obviously where the belt is going round. I went to a local garage to see what they thought and they said its not the alternator belt, but sounded like the cambelt. They were pretty lame, as they said "ah mate its fuc*ed if its the cambelt but we will need to have proper look and take the alternator belt off" didn't fancy leaving it with them.

My question is, has anyone had this problem? if it is the cambelt is it really serious or easily solved? or could it be the fan belt and what is a way to tell?

Please help.

Cheers

Megane225FF
last time I had a squeek under the bonnet it was the aux belt.. thats what Renault told me anyway. Took them a week to change all the parts, they replaced the cam belt too, according to them, but it was all done under warrenty.