ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 V ST170

im a fiesta owner at the mo and will be getting a CTR or a 172 at the end of this year. On the forum i am a member of all the fords the only car in the world knobs are going on about how slow the 172 is and how the ST will be alot quicker! this really pissed me off so im in the process of flying the flag for u clio boys and setting them straight cos i know the 172 is a quick car and would beat a ST! has anyone raced a ST170 and by how much did u waste it? + any idea of the 0-100 time of the ST cos i cant find it anywhere? if it was that good then surely it would be talked about when people look at 172, CTRs, Lean Cupra etc but its not????

+ ive heard that a 172 run on 95ron is alot slower than if ran on 98ron is this true cos it could acount for people sinaccurate comments.

Cheers Matt

S2000

Matt,

There was a massive thread over on the Saxo boards with some tube stating that his ST170 would be on par or beat a Clio 172, it something like 250 posts!!! As youd expect he was shot down in flames!! He claimed that an St 170 would do 0-100 in 17s, which is of course complete b****cks! As far as I can gather the handling is pretty good to say the least, however in a straight line there is no contest.

ST170 0-100 = Low 22s

0-60 mid to high 7s

Clio 172 0-100 = 17s!!

0-60 = Mid to high 6s!!

Oh and what forum is this, I fancy a rumble!!

If you want more than the pace of the ST170, save yourself up to £6k and get a Clio Cup, VTS or 106 GTi. All are tried and tested favourites with hot hatch fans and are lighter on the wallet. I like the idea of a hot Focus, but Im afraid that Ive yet to see a positive review of the ST170. Even the Focus RS is more usually compared to the Cup, CTR et al.

The ST170 isnt a bad car, but theres so much hot hatch talent at the moment - and it just doesnt stand out.

There is a ST170 that terrorises Watford. Whoever it is drives like a loon. Ive seen it 3 or 4 times and each time its always up someones arse trying to push others along the road. Well I happened to be at a set of lights going on to a dual carriage way when it pulled up. Not sure if its the same one, but in any case we both raced off the lights on green. It was even stevens upto 30 but after that it was sucking my exhaust fumes and pulled quite a few car lengths by 80mph. Stayed at 80 and the ST170 was true to form trying to push me along the road. So booted it again and again left him behind eating my dust. So Id say from my experience, its not as fast as people think.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Matty b

Fancy coming on here to help you decide whether to go for a 172 or a CTR!!

If you want something resembling an MPV without actually buying a Scenic etc, then go for the CTR. If you prefer a cute, quick hatchback, then go for the little Pocket Rocket that is the Clio 172.

The 172 has far more goodies than the CTR and is far more comfortable too. Personally I think that the CTR is about 18" too long, they should cut out some of the centre section, then it might look a bit better.

My neighbour has a CTR and it looks more like a tank, especially when it is parked next to my Clio. Feels like one inside too, as it is very cavernous, but ideal if you have two or three children. The CTR is more suited to the track with its high revving.

Hope this will help you to decide which car to get.

;)

bloody hell! what??? how can u compare that?? ive toasted one in my valver!!! and the guy was trying as he gave me a wave at the end!

320d M Sport

Not again?? AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Teady will know what i mean!!!!

Paddy

Ive kept up with a 5 door & a 3 door ST170 who were both apparently going flat out......and this was in my 206 GTi which I know for a fact is alot slower than a 172. Go test drive a CTR though; itd be silly not to. Im going to try one myself next Saturday.

Rhys (ex-172 owner :mad: )

I raped the sh*t out of an ST170 in my GT. came from behind and wham no lub jelly. went past with the dog staring at driver :lol:

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Definately not quick, i beat them before the engine mods. They always look really puzzled like their cars broke or something as you burn off into the distance, great (goes for MGs too). People need to do their homework abut clios! ST is quite nippy to 30 though, but i find that with most cars in me valver, makes races more fun i suppose. Just when they think youre done and dusted you slot into second and off you go :)

ST170 and so slow and gutless, its untrue. Got not torque and needs to be revved. This particular engine was slow in the FR Puma and that was lighter.

Ive had the pleasure of racing two different ST170s around MK lately, fair play to the guys driving them for putting up a fight, but I can honestly say that the Cup is HUGELY faster than the ST170. With some cars its a bit touch and go who is actually quicker, but the Cup certainly is much faster through the gears than this particular Focus. Yesterday another one came storming up my arse end and wanted to have a go, but I couldnt even be bothered this time. Id rather have a go at a Porsche or M3-fun to be whopped by things like that, and to find out the Cup isnt THAT much slower, rather than having a go at cars that are definitely no sport... Call me sad if you like!:cool:

Tried unleaded for the first time today - got caught short !

It was horrid, even my Girlfriend noticed the difference in the engine tone and pick up !!!!!

There was no pull at 5000rpm, and normally thats were it really starts !

Laguna 2, Westfield

Quote: Originally posted by Jonto on 05 January 2003

ST170 and so slow and gutless, its untrue. Got not torque and needs to be revved. This particular engine was slow in the FR Puma and that was lighter.

You saying the ST170 has the same engine as the Racing puma :confused: Focus is a 2.0 duratec (170bhp), and the Puma has a 1.7 zetec (155bhp)

:D

Quote: Originally posted by MarkRS on 05 January 2003

You saying the ST170 has the same engine as the Racing puma Focus is a 2.0 duratec (170bhp), and the Puma has a 1.7 zetec (155bhp)

Mark - it appears you have picked me up on a mere technicality, i just assumed that they both had the same engine, with the figures been similar. The fact that you havent disagreed with my main point, being that the focus is heavy and slow, i shall take it then, that you agree ! :)

One more question, if the 2.0 Duratec produces 170 bhp in n/a form, its a poor show that it only produces 212 bhp in turbo charged form. only 42 bhp increase !

Just as a reference point :-

Subaru impreza - 2.0 sport = 125 hbp

Subaru impreza - 2.0 turbo = 215 bhp (90 bhp increase ;-)

Laguna 2, Westfield

Im sure Ford could have given the Focus RS more power if they wanted, but to make sure its reliable and have an insurance rating or 16:D they left it at 212.

Ford also do the 2.0 zetec focus with around 130bhp, so the ST is midway between the two. Its not all about speed with the st, you get 17s half leather, air con, heated screens, massive brakes/ superb handling etc at a good price.

Its not really slow slow is it, i call a 1.2 clio slow :D

As to the main topic, comparing the st against a clio 172, the clio has the same power and is lighter, so its obvious the clio will win. But the difference is, the focus wont fall apart over 70 :cool: lol

BMW 320d Sport

lol ST170 dont make me laugh That is easy pickings. There is nothing remotely hot about an ST170, its probably a match for a 16v and any Clio thats quicker than a valver would hammer it easily.

BMW 320d Sport

BTW Steve I wouldnt say Ford engines are sh*t, on the whole theyre good and well built, tuneable etc. Its probably just the Focus RS doesnt run a lot of boost...you cant really compare a Subaru 2.0 with a Ford 2.0 just cos theyre both turbocharged. Youre right that its not a huge amount of power though.

Hang on a moment Nick! I ride to defend the honour of the Valver!

170bhp the ST170 may have - but a Valver beater it certainly is not! I would call it parity at the very least. The 106 GTi/VTS/16v brigade have accleration figures that are a bit better than the Focus - and theyre all of the tried and tested strut front/torsion bar rear formula for more grippy handling and real-world speed.

Im a real fan of the Focus as a base car, but the ST170 is no hot hatch legend. Ive had many an ST170 disappear in my mirrors far faster than an old Mondeo ST24 (which should be slower), regular Clio 16v/VTS/106 GTi.

One of my favourite memories is of blowing an ST170 into the weeds with four passengers in my car in a traffic light grand prix to the national limit.

Quote: Originally posted by vibrio on 05 January 2003

Hey - vibrio - punto gts are sh*t ! ;)

Recognise me ? :D
the username seems vaguely familier do you shag young boys with masks on :p

Its ross isnt it ? I used to have a Punto GT3 in midnight blue (about 160 bhp, 180 lb/ft) , i then sold it to matt friend. Used to and occasionally do still go on punto sports.

Quote: Originally posted by MarkRS on 05 January 2003

Im sure Ford could have given the Focus RS more power if they wanted, but to make sure its reliable and have an insurance rating or 16:D they left it at 212.

clio 172, the clio has the same power and is lighter, so its obvious the clio will win. But the difference is, the focus wont fall apart over 70 :cool: lol
I think ford only gave it 212bhp because any more and it would have been a death trap with that quaife diff on the front. Its bad enough with 212, can you imagine 250 or even 300 bhp !

Quote: Originally posted by Jonto on 06 January 2003

Quote: Originally posted by vibrio on 05 January 2003

Hey - vibrio - punto gts are sh*t ! ;)

Recognise me ? :D
the username seems vaguely familier do you shag young boys with masks on :p

Its ross isnt it ? I used to have a Punto GT3 in midnight blue (about 160 bhp, 180 lb/ft) , i then sold it to matt friend. Used to and occasionally do still go on punto sports.

I know who you are fool. I was being sarcasic. I think I even have you on my MSN list ;)

BMW 320d Sport

Thats what I mean Ben, any Clio with more power than a valver will make it a walk in the park, but the 16v and the ST170 are quite similar. In a valver vs ST170 race, if the valver driver was some dull-witted idiot who didnt get off the line very well or bogged down or something, and the ST driver was good, I think the ST would take the race.

But even if the valver lost which 9 times out of 10 it wouldnt, the Clio would always get 10 out of 10 for style, which the housewives choice Ford Focus wouldnt.