ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs 182

Campus Sport 1.2
Hi there!

I've had my heart set on a 182 for quite some time now, but looking into it maybe a 172 could be an option. The only deciding factor on the 182 was the dual exhaust.

I drive about 26 miles a day on average but looking for something that I can use on my commute and take out on the weekend round some country roads.

Do 172's have cruise control as well as the 182 ff and is it easy enough finding/installing a 182 style exhaust on a 172?

Thanks for all the answers!

2014 Clio 200t edc
I'll answer before you get told to search, although there is a good guide in the guides section about differences if you search :wink:
A late 2003-04 172 will have cruise control yes, earlier than that won't. K-tec do a 182 style exhaust or a custom place would fabricate you one and a 182 rear bumper is easy enough to find. Other differences are wheels and manifold and other little bits.
I've had both and to be honest with the prices as they are it really depends on your budget.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Hi there!

I've had my heart set on a 182 for quite some time now, but looking into it maybe a 172 could be an option. The only deciding factor on the 182 was the dual exhaust.

I drive about 26 miles a day on average but looking for something that I can use on my commute and take out on the weekend round some country roads.

Do 172's have cruise control as well as the 182 ff and is it easy enough finding/installing a 182 style exhaust on a 172?

Thanks for all the answers!

Would it not just be easier to buy a 182?

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
u can pick up a cheap 182 for 2k. i nearly got 1 for 1600 with 64000 miles on it. probs one of the best i seen, small scrape on the side thought.

Dan

172 track thingy
Just get the best one available (FSH, low miles etc etc) it doesnt matter which one tbh both do the same job.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I got my FF182, service history, belts done, just under 90k, really good condition for a lot less than 2k, there are bargains out there if you look......

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
172's and 182's are fairly interchangeable. If both are 100% fit the 182 is quicker but not so that you'd notice in daily driving and with mass production involved a huge gap in performance is unlikely. The only real advantage to the 182 is the cup packs where you can get a more aggressive setup like the 172 cup and still keep all the toys. If your not doing occasional track days I'd stick with the standard models as they have a more compliant ride.

The Cup versions are good for the occasional track day but seeing as it's quite common to refresh the suspension with Cup parts and uprated springs or fit coilovers you can start with pretty much anyone.

Bear in mind the cup packed 182 has different hubs to the rest with a bigger damper bolt spacing so choice for aftermarket parts is reduced.

You won't be disappointed by a 172 unless your a torque addict (the 182 isn't much of an improvement in that respect) and if so you shouldn't be looking at N/A hot hatches anyway.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
If you choose 182, ensure it has had its exhaust replaced as I'm now finding out the hard way!

Not really a deciding factor as an exhaust is a personal thing i.e some prefer loud others quite

Buy the best condition with belts/dephaser been done, with receipts to prove for any work done

Listerine & Poledo
All true statements above.
Also, if you get a 172, why not just have a hidden exhaust? Cheaper, for one thing.

But, importantly...
just_search.jpg

Not really a deciding factor as an exhaust is a personal thing i.e some prefer loud others quite

Buy the best condition with belts/dephaser been done, with receipts to prove for any work done

I was meaning that ensuring it hasn't still got the OEM one on!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Just buy based on condition and being local to you. There's 172s that are faster than 182s and vice versa so don't assume 182s are automatically quicker.

Yes 182 has dual exhausts, but 172 has a spare wheel, and I'm sure if you get a flat you won't be standing at the back of the car thinking "Damn those twin exhausts look cool".

i looked at a blue 172 cup, but walked away as it just wasnt right. now have a black 182, and im so glad i got the one i have, automatic lights/wipers, xenons and a nicer interior more than make up for an ever so slightly different exterior (spoiler/splitter/wheels).
jeff simply - where are you from?? it says east sussex, as am i!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I'll answer before you get told to search, although there is a good guide in the guides section about differences if you search :wink:
A late 2003-04 172 will have cruise control yes, earlier than that won't. K-tec do a 182 style exhaust or a custom place would fabricate you one and a 182 rear bumper is easy enough to find. Other differences are wheels and manifold and other little bits.
I've had both and to be honest with the prices as they are it really depends on your budget.

I have an 04 172 and no cruise control. Not that I ever wanted it.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Oh right, unless it was built and then sat for a bit, I'm sure late 2003 build onwards had cruise/esp. Might be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time! ;)

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I have to say, the one thing that pisses me off on my FF182 is the auto wipers, I wish you could have the option to turn them off and use the intermittent manual option, apart from that I really like it...

Switching them on would be to place the stalk in position one before starting the car up. Obviously turning them off is the reverse of that. (Y)

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Switching them on would be to place the stalk in position one before starting the car up. Obviously turning them off is the reverse of that. (Y)
Well that's not strictly true, because you can do that after you start the car, save flattening your battery, but thanks for the heads up...