ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 and poor fuel ecconomy

Clio 182 Cup
I looking for ideas where to look for problems as my fuel ecconmy is rather poor. I understand the stampping hard on the right pedal will not help but this has not been done for a week now and I can only see at max 30MPG on the trip computer. I drive to work and back and cover 14 miles a day and it is mainly 60 mph roads, when i fill the tank I reset the trip meter and try and see what i get from a tank full and at present it is under 300 miles. I thought I should be getting atleast 35 mpg and have seen others here getting in the 40's.

Anyone have any possible causes?

Thanks

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
This will depend entirely on the kind of roads you travel and you driving style. But stuff like what you have in the car, fuel and tyres can have an impact, too.

I travel on busy A-roads to work and usually average around 30MPG these days.

Reports of 35 and 40 MPG will be on a decent run.

Cliosport 182
I average about 35mpg, and my trips are on average.. 38miles a day plus the odd mile here and that, I achieve this by driving 30/40 & 50 on motorways plus, chaging gears every 2000 revs... & braking from a distant so its not harsh.. and 55 quid full tank of fuel last me 7 days, soo its okay... but this week, the beast has consumed a full tank in 4 days... I drive a clio 182 (with suspension damage & wheel not aligned, plus un even tyre wear) iiknow ii need to take care of my car LOL

Clio 182 Cup
Thats what i have been thinking, going to hook car up to laptop tomorrow and see what is going on and then clean sensor and see if it makes any difference. Plus order a new one.

Impreza Wagon
Could try swapping them over before buying a new one? I need to try this on mine to solve a poor MPG problem. Mines not as bad as yours however.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It all depends how heavy your right foot is . I'll put money on it there's nothing wrong with your lambda sensor . I only ever see 26mpg on average in my 182 cos i do lots of short trips and thats from new , same with my old 172 26mpg and that was new when i bought that too .

Now Sold :-(
My trip computer has not been reset for over a year. My average speed is showing as 34mph and I'm getting 30.4 MPG.
My 182 gets the beans at least once every journey (once fully warmed up of course).
I don't see 30 MPG as low considering how the car is driven.
Anyone getting 35+ is either driving like my nan or fooling themselves. All IMO of course.
If you want a regular 35+ MPG you got yourself the wrong car.

Inferno 182 Cup
i only got 34.6 on a return journey to milton keynes the other week, i think thats about 170 miles of pure m1. i get 29/30 usually according to the trip 'puter.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
My trip computer has not been reset for over a year. My average speed is showing as 34mph and I'm getting 30.4 MPG.
My 182 gets the beans at least once every journey (once fully warmed up of course).
I don't see 30 MPG as low considering how the car is driven.
Anyone getting 35+ is either driving like my nan or fooling themselves. All IMO of course.
If you want a regular 35+ MPG you got yourself the wrong car.

+1 Economy was the last thing on the list when i bought my first 172 then my 182 . Get yourself a Golf tdi or summat similar if your afraid of the fuel bills . On long motorway trips with the trip computer reset and the cruise control set at around 75 mph i have seen 34 ish mpg on the flat .

Inferno 182 Cup
I average about 35mpg, and my trips are on average.. 38miles a day plus the odd mile here and that, I achieve this by driving 30/40 & 50 on motorways plus, chaging gears every 2000 revs... & braking from a distant so its not harsh.. and 55 quid full tank of fuel last me 7 days, soo its okay... but this week, the beast has consumed a full tank in 4 days... I drive a clio 182 (with suspension damage & wheel not aligned, plus un even tyre wear) iiknow ii need to take care of my car LOL

i would hate to be on a motorway with you

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I used to drive 22 miles to work on the same roads, 23 miles back due to a motorway exit

I averaged over 40.

Your car will only be warm for half of your journey tbf

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I get 25mpg from town driving... 35mpg from motorways...

Just be thankful you don't drive an Impreza, I averaged 12mpg :dapprove:

I was getting 30-31.5MPG when i first got the car driving urban, around town etc, my exhaust was blowing, I used silicone and a new clamp and gained to 33mpg, now with my new exhaust (rs192) im seeing anywhere from 33.5-35.5mpg, happy with the increase, want to give the car a service by myself knowing the right oil and spark plugs are used, if that doesn't improve the overall feel and mpg i think i might consider a fresh lambda.

Last edited:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I looking for ideas where to look for problems as my fuel ecconmy is rather poor. I understand the stampping hard on the right pedal will not help but this has not been done for a week now and I can only see at max 30MPG on the trip computer. I drive to work and back and cover 14 miles a day and it is mainly 60 mph roads, when i fill the tank I reset the trip meter and try and see what i get from a tank full and at present it is under 300 miles. I thought I should be getting atleast 35 mpg and have seen others here getting in the 40's.

Anyone have any possible causes?

Thanks

Hello mate,

How is she running since the RR day? Like the others have said, I average 30.2 MPG on a 6.5 mile each way journey to work, so yours doesn't sound out. Got to 34.8 MPG the other day but that was a return trip to Warwick at 70 nearly all the way up the motorway.

Mine ran 197 bhp after the cams, happy days.

Oli