ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 power down and exhaust leak

Clio
Good evening,
My 182 has an exhaust leak which whilst I have had the precat joint replaced with new genuine it still remains.

Main symptoms:
1. Raspy blowing when cold and under load
2. Whistling above approx 4-5k rpm on wide throttle, sounds like coming from below gearstick area
3. Quiet tinning sound from around middle of exhaust at idle when warm. Increases in repetition with slight increase of rpm above idle and is definitely nowhere near the engine area.
4. Seems to be lacking go at the top end of rev range, like power dropping off from 5k. This is in comparison to another 182 running ktech exhaust.

The exhaust is a Scorpion RS192 after cat system.

Any suggestions? What are the symptoms of a cat breaking up? I presume this could cause gasflow problems hence the perceived reduced top end power?

Thanks!

Clio
Hi,

Issue is I am struggling to find the leak. I have not been able to feel any blowing at the joints at idle, as it only noticeably blows under load.

Without having to take the entire exhaust off and sealing every single joint, do the carts break up on these? Are parts of the exhaust known to split or crack? Any pointers to where I should start given it has had a genuine flexi joint fitted not long ago?

Thanks!

dan's cast offs.
never known of cat break up on them. usually the front flange or the rear of the cat that blow.

Clio
Bloke,

Thanks. Double checked the exhaust clamps and found a couple that needed tightening, so it's now pretty well sealed (I think!). No difference in performance though.

Thanks,