ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cup with Recaros. Nimbus in 2012. Glacier White in 2022

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Picked this up on Saturday from Steve Murr - who had very kindly kept it for 3 weeks for me whilst i sold the fleet of BMW's ... Generally in pretty mint condition, after no doubt having approximately 15 layers of polish/wax/other detailing things lavished on it
buffer.gif

Spec wise, its Nimbus, which seems to be fairly rare on the Cup, with Recaros. No aircon though, although i cant actually remember the last time i used it anyway, so not overly bothered.

First impressions are pretty good:

Brakes are epic, albeit a little sharp, resulting in some rather embarrasing moments where Sarah nearly went through the windscreen.
Steering is light but fairly direct & weighs up considerably at speed.
Gearbox is fantastic, with nicely spaced ratios and a really short throw!! A pleasure to use in fact, really keeps the engine on the boil.
Engine seems nicely torquey at under 3k rpm, so i can pootle around in traffic/town with ease, then seems to go slightly berserk at 5k and scream towards the redline - more so than the Trophy i think, & feels considerably smoother, almost v-tec like.
Exhaust is some handmade aftermarket thing, sounds awesome from 6k onwards - kinda like a cross between an angry darth vader and a hoover - and then pops on the overrun. It will p1ss me off after about 2 weeks of motoway use though, so ive got the standard one as well.

Seats are uber comfy, although set quite high, although being fairly vertically challenged this does help me see over the dashboard.
Interior is ok, dashboard isnt as bad as i was expecting and it doesnt rattle, much. The steering wheel trim moves around though, so might have to get the superglue out. Have bought an armrest already though, having nowhere to rest my left arm is irriating after all those BMW's.
Looks wise, compared the 1*2 it seems massive!! Although it is quite obviously the 'sporty' variant with bulging arches, big wheels/brakes and that silly aero valance thing. The addition of the 'SX' (i think) spoiler also finishes the rear end of nicely. Dont think the Speedlines or Cup soiler suit nimbus, so the outside will most certainly be staying standard. Bar some silvervisions of course.

Negatives so far are fairly limited, although i havent really stretched its legs yet. The pedals seem further apart than the 1*2 so heel & toe is going to need some technique changes. In addition, the acelerator pedal seems somewhat lifeless, meaning that blipping the throttle for H&T is going to need far more of a 'push' than in the Trophy.

Also, while we're on the subject of pedals, they vibrate really badly at anything over 50mph, almost like the feeling you get through the steering wheel when the wheels are imbalanced - although through the pedals instead? Hopefully this has nothing to do with Renault fitting a new 'box 500 miles ago ... :rolleyes:

So, some pics ... though id take some whilst its clean, probably wont be again :eek:

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

7a.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

10a.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Sarah also hates it. Apparently im a pleb for selling an M3 for 'another sodding clio' ... :clown:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Stunning.... I'm tempted by a 197 as a little upgrade at some point... I need those seats in my life.

Petrol Blue 182.
Love Nimbus dave, great colour! dont tell me you drove from Basingstoke to Chertsey to take some pics?! lol

Is this the new LeMans bus?

Oh and a slightly better colour Recaros then the Purple/Vomit colour in the Trophy

Did you drive a 200 Cup in the end?

Everyone seems to say the 200 is a better drive. Yet you go for the 197.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
lovely colour, nice seats just get the speedlines they look much better, im surprised steve didnt sell you some with it, very nice car:race:

320d
Looks really nice. Love the seats, they really are epic.

Its a perfectly good commuting car but after having nice comfy BMW's its a bit of a step down in that respect. Do you not think you'll end up comparing the day to day comfort and end up in another E46 within a few months?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Looks superb. Though one thing annoys me bout the 197 cups. On the 200 Cups you have a black strip on the doors where the Cup badges are, yet these are missing from the 197s? Looks strange imo.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Love Nimbus dave, great colour! dont tell me you drove from Basingstoke to Chertsey to take some pics?! lol

Is this the new LeMans bus?

Oh and a slightly better colour Recaros then the Purple/Vomit colour in the Trophy

Nah, was on the way to Budgie's from Steve's place - though the footy pitch would offer some nice background. Then some ejit in a red corsa dumped their car in front of me, despite it being pretty obvious i was trying to take some pretty photos :quiet:

Did you drive a 200 Cup in the end?

Everyone seems to say the 200 is a better drive. Yet you go for the 197.

I did. Was better, but not worth 2 or 3 197 cups. Spreadsheet won ;)

Its a perfectly good commuting car but after having nice comfy BMW's its a bit of a step down in that respect. Do you not think you'll end up comparing the day to day comfort and end up in another E46 within a few months?

Oh totally, in fact i have already, about 30 times. But my priority for the moment is saving for a house, not spending £££'s each month on getting a 10 year old e46 back to factory mintness - which is a problem i always seem to have with BMW's. Also seems to be completely pointless modifying a 197 cup engine wise, so that will stop me spending any money on it lol ... probably.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Looks lovely Dave, really like it mate. I know you're not planning to spend any money on it, but with a set of clean plates and black speedlies it would be literally perfect :eek:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one Dave. Looks very smart.

You'll learn to drive around the woolly throttle, I have to give mine a full on proper press when rev-matching now...takes an age to wake the engine up.

Titanium 182

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Loves it! Nimbus is an awesome colour. Even better in the flesh! And the sun ffs!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
black speedlies it would be literally perfect :eek:

Im not so sure tbh, imho they look really average on Nimbus!!
ef32b86d.jpg

H&R springs are a maybe, although i'd probably just get KW V1's if i were going to change the suspension at all - never really been a fan of the bouncy ride that 'just springs' tend to give.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I don't really know what to think, it's a nice car, but I can't help but think you're mental for getting rid of a car you've wanted for so long soo quickly.

Anyway, as long as you're happy with it.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Also, re the pedals. The 197 Cup doesn't have the aluminium jobbies.

The FF items have an extra lip on for better H&T. Seems an odd decision seeing as the Cup's meant to be the track-orientated model.

I'm pretty sure you can buy them and swap them though.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
  340i
You'll learn to drive around the woolly throttle, I have to give mine a full on proper press when rev-matching now...takes an age to wake the engine up.

Euuurgh, exactly the same on my r26.

Press the throttle pedal... wait.... wait.... wait.... Oh here's the revs I wanted.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lovely, welcome to the elite ;)

Re the steering wheel trim, its for the normal 197 wheel.... It doesn't really fit the cup one as its thinner

Had an epic drive in mine yesterday, on the boil they really are superb. Mines V1 shod also

:)

Titanium 182
Is Christopher a walking book of all Renault sport usefull b****cks stuff lol Thats some attention to detail he has.

Nimbus is awesome when cleaned, looks really fresh.

You need a Werkstat Carnauba Kit, it brings out the awesomeness that is nimbus silver! Not sure why am telling you this as you dont clean your cars lol

IMG_0860.jpg

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Looks lovely, really like the spoiler and I'd keep the standard wheels. Has it had a belt change?

I think I'd have been tempted to buy a 320d for your commute and keep the T on the road.

You'd save nearly a grand in fuel over 12 months doing 50mpg in a 320d, that's if the 197 returns 35mg? Would that be enoughm to keep the Trophy on the road?

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
P.s - I realised my comment earlier sounded a little grumpy. It wasn't, I just loved that M3.

Great colour choice for it though, wheels and colour work perfectly together.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Is Christopher a walking book of all Renault sport usefull b****cks stuff lol Thats some attention to detail he has.

I'm not sure that's something to be proud of. :eek:

It's a handy tip for 197/200 Cup owners though. No idea why they ditched the proper pedals in the Cups. Weird decision.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I think I'd have been tempted to buy a 320d for your commute and keep the T on the road.

Already been down that road, did save money, but spent 100 miles a day wishing i wasnt driving the 320d lol ...

Cambelt hasnt been done yet, is just over 4 years old, so will probably get Fred to do it at some point i would imagine.

Just fitted my armrest - certainly makes the lounging/cruising position more 'slobbed out', but currently not sure if want.

DSC05436.jpg