ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cup with Recaros. Nimbus in 2012. Glacier White in 2022

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I see where your coming from with the armrest Dave.

Glad someone does lol :eek: Although, after driving home with it in last night, i dont think i'll be keeping it - armchair stylee doesnt suit the french f4rtbox. In fact, i've removed it already.

Oh and Dave - Having looked at the pictures on the computer now, like Dan said WTF are them tyres on it!
As Mike put it, Fortuna by name, fortunate not to fall off the road at the 1st corner. They are quite frankly abysmal. Have ordered some Hankook V12 Evo's for it, so will get them on asap.

Someone also suggested that the pedal vibration might be tracking related so will get that done as well, although it would seem that its engine related - does it between 3-4k rpm even when in neutral/stationary - engne mounts maybe?

Looks great mate! Bit of deja vu :p

<3 Hero spec.

Glad you both approve ;)

the recaros, do you fit 'nicely' in them? I was expecting the harness holes to be above my shoulders, being 6foot odd they're a bit below my shoulders. Comfy as f**k nonetheless :approve:The exhaust looks amazing! I've got some form of aftermarket system on but it doesn't look half as good as that! Swapsies? :eek:

I seem to fit ok, i am only 5' 7" though, so not exactly blessed in the height dept :eek: Very comfy though, much more suppotive than the Trendlines in the Trophy, albeit not as squashy for lounging on long journeys! Exhaust is growing on me, although the sound at 6k+ wont do the mpg any good - probably why its languishing around 29mpg at the moment ... will be filling it up again later on though, so interested to see whether the trip computer is accurate or not!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Just got through the 1st tank of fuel. Trip computer said 29.2mpg lol .... although that has included 85% use in the BMW lane of my private road, at a consistent speed of circa 75-90 leptons. However, after hearing that they arent the most accurate & tend to underread, i thought id work it out manually as well. But no, it is actually doing 29.2mpg :eek:

Also, the front tyres are quite simply awful, wet/greasy roads last night = huge understeer/wheelspin. The latter being especially impressive considering the huge hole in the power/torque curve at 3-4k rpm. Above that however, it is really rather good fun, again, the gearbox really does help keep it on the boil from 2nd through 5th - very similar to the old Gti6 box imho, not brilliant from a standing start, but once moving, very well spaced ratios ...

172 Cup
Thats a great looking motor dude, nimbus is a fantastic colour and you dont see too many of them around! Im sure you will enjoy her!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I seem to fit ok, i am only 5' 7" though, so not exactly blessed in the height dept :eek: Very comfy though, much more suppotive than the Trendlines in the Trophy, albeit not as squashy for lounging on long journeys! Exhaust is growing on me, although the sound at 6k+ wont do the mpg any good - probably why its languishing around 29mpg at the moment ... will be filling it up again later on though, so interested to see whether the trip computer is accurate or not!

pfft, im only doing low 30's with a commute lol! in 6th from 3.5krpm to about 5k my exhaust sounds similar to a scooby lol! then it starts to scream :p that doesnt help either :(

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
I concur with the tyres, dealer put two on the front of mine before i could protest, they really undermine the car, i think the bare rims would be better, so i too am looking forward to some better boots. Looks good btw :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I really didn't like the box in the 2 I drove.

Infact I drove 3 and lots of standard MK3's. Just didn't feel great for a sporty hatch. It felt "tall" if that's even possible.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I really didn't like the box in the 2 I drove.

Infact I drove 3 and lots of standard MK3's. Just didn't feel great for a sporty hatch. It felt "tall" if that's even possible.

Really? It's exactly the opposite.

In fact, early 197's pre-2007 were wayyyy too short. 70mph was 4k RPM. lol.

The later 197's and 200's are perfect. Keeps it right on the boil.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Just didn't feel great for a sporty hatch. It felt "tall" if that's even possible.

Sorry, struggling to understand what you mean .... must be the language barrier?

If you mean the box, i think its great. If you mean the car feels tall ie big, you're right, its massive lol. Makes Sarah TT look like a toy car

Davvvvve! We need a trophy update pal.:hail:

Am bored of your 197 already :slap:

Trophy hasnt moved since last Friday, is now SORN as well, so updates will be limited, unless you want me to start a Twitter style feed for it:

DirtyShedTrophy@Twitter: Its Saturday, im dirty & i have no tax
DirtyShedTrophy@Twitter: Its Sunday, a bird just sh4t on me & i have no tax. That 197 looks massive.
DirtyShedTrophy@Twitter: Its Monday, a dog pi55ed on me last night, im really quite filthy, smelly & that 197 is getting all the attention
DirtyShedTrophy@Twitter: Its Tuesday, that 197 is dirty as well now. Ha, you'll stay that way forever now.
DirtyShedTrophy@Twitter: Its Wednesday, Budgie guy keeps coming over & looking at me. Apparently im worth more in parts. Ginger c*nt.

Titanium 182
I get was Gally is saying, I have drove a few early 197's and I felt exactly the same.

Currently removing coffee from my screen I laughed some much at your Twitter feed hahahahah

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
DirtyShedTrophy@Twitter: Its Saturday, im dirty & i have no tax
DirtyShedTrophy@Twitter: Its Sunday, a bird just sh4t on me & i have no tax. That 197 looks massive.
DirtyShedTrophy@Twitter: Its Monday, a dog pi55ed on me last night, im really quite filthy, smelly & that 197 is getting all the attention
DirtyShedTrophy@Twitter: Its Tuesday, that 197 is dirty as well now. Ha, you'll stay that way forever now.
DirtyShedTrophy@Twitter: Its Wednesday, Budgie guy keeps coming over & looking at me. Apparently im worth more in parts. Ginger c*nt.

FLOL, that could be the exact same for my Cup, just sits there unloved now. The 200 gets all the attention.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Great to drive, but so so ugly. Glad you like it though!

I dont like cars with clutches as every day car or road cars tbh!

I am 36 though! OLD!

LOVE THE TWITTER FEED!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Great to drive, but so so ugly. Glad you like it though!

I dont like cars with clutches as every day car or road cars tbh!

I am 36 though! OLD!

LOVE THE TWITTER FEED!

you got me thinking he bought a 200 for a second there. the 197 is the better looking of the two. FYI ;)

the FF versions have cruise control so that helps lol

320d
you got me thinking he bought a 200 for a second there. the 197 is the better looking of the two. FYI ;)

the FF versions have cruise control so that helps lol

Helps you change gear ? ;)

I get what you mean though. cruise is useless on busy motorways, but when your travelling along a motorway on a long drive with little traffic its a god send. Can't wait to use it going to Le Mans.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I might see 30mpg on the way to LM by using it.

You wont lol. Cruise actually makes the mpg worse, so unless you are sitting at 60mph, your 200 has no chance of getting to 30mpg ;)

I do miss it though, having to alternate between holding the accelerator down with your left/right foot due to angle tiredness is FTL.

Glad you all like the Twitter feed btw
type.gif

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Really? It's exactly the opposite.

In fact, early 197's pre-2007 were wayyyy too short. 70mph was 4k RPM. lol.

The later 197's and 200's are perfect. Keeps it right on the boil.

No no not the ratios. Tall was the wrong word, more the stalk and throw. It never felt as tight as Dave describes. And as I said before I was so disappointed with how light the steering was.

BMW F21 125d
It's a nice bus, but it just doesn't compare to your old M3. But if it saves you a sack of cash to fund a house then so be it. Glad the armrest has gone as it looked gash. I envy the MPG tho.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Loved the twitter feed, good work.

Glad you removed the arm rest, just looked wrong.

I've come to the conclusion you've probably bought the best looking mk3 that exists, so good going on that.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Might be worth looking at these if going for V1's, bit cheaper, rated them on my 172 Cup, not seen anyone with them on a 197 yet

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...CarParts_SM&hash=item2c6406cb2c#ht_1574wt_932

Dont think they fit unfortunately :dapprove: Bilstein only list them for the 2.0 normal clio, not the 197/200, hence no one has fitted them yet!!

Slight error by Demon Tweeks there me thinks. Shame really, <3 Bilstein stuff.

I've come to the conclusion you've probably bought the best looking mk3 that exists, so good going on that.

Why thank you :eek:

White clique
only just spotted this, congrats on the 197 and its nice to read a review from someone who has actually driven one for once! Looks great dave!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Dont think they fit unfortunately :dapprove: Bilstein only list them for the 2.0 normal clio, not the 197/200, hence no one has fitted them yet!!

Slight error by Demon Tweeks there me thinks. Shame really, <3 Bilstein stuff.

Why thank you :eek:

Not so sure on them, the pic looks right with the strut, and it specifically lists them as for 197, where as the ones you're thinking of just said 2.0 litre ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Can't believe you sold an M3 for a bloody clio.
Least i sold it for another awesome car.

lol, didnt you buy a Subaru? Not sure that qualifies as awesome :quiet:

The lovely Sarah looks well chuffed lol.

Well, yes. She's not the greatest fan im honest, although she might change her tune if she drives it i suppose! Which brings me onto the next review nicely...

Done 600 miles in the 197 this week, & to be honest, i spent all last night look at BMW's on Autotrader, rather surprisingly, motorway work isnt its strong point lol. Not really any worse than the 182, but 36mpg plays 31mpg, and that ruddy exhaust, bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Makes the BTB on the Trophy seem sociable lol. Needs removing asap really.

But then, we all know that the 1*2/197/200 was designed for a different type of driving, so this morning, after getting up early for a 5km sprint/jog/walk, i decided to take the clio out for its own type of run ... a proper one, no girlfriends allowed ;)

Needless to say, the car was pretty much in its element, & well, when the revs are constantly above 5k, you dont really notice the flat spot at 3k ... brakes are epic, steering weights up well enough and the daft exhaust rasps, pops, bangs and burbles like a good 'un. The gearbox is fantastic - quick fire like a CTR, great ratios for keeping it on the boil like a Gti6, to be blunt, its in a different league to the 'thing' in the 1*2 lol. Have sussed heel & toe as well now, wider shoes + a harder stab of the throttle = sorted. Keep it above 5k rpm and it really does cover ground pretty well, zinging its way to the limiter time and time again, all the while, not sounding like its about to rattle to death like my other miley shed :eek:

So yeah, i like it, cant wait to put it on track and explore the limits of the chassis properly. Oh, and get it sideways.

Got home and fitted my Parrot handfree, which means ill be keeping it for a little while at least :D

Bad pictures of some nice scenery, apologies for the car in the way ...

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

Renault Megane
Love your metaphors on your original description, but Jeremy Clarkson like :D And i love this car, this is the model i want after my next car, gotta wait till i am 21 as that's when i get my pay rise and promotion lol