ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Info found earlier

Not sure if this has been mentioned, (internet been broke, couldn't be bothered fixing it).

Just swapped to a Renault dealership, and in the spirit of Cliosport ownership, every customer is getting pushed towards a 197. No old lady looking for a Clio II Campus is safe from me. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA (Insert Dr Evil laugh please).

Anyway, back to planet real. Found on a renault site, that new white wheels (possibly speedline) from the 2007 Clio Cup Racer will be available soon for £175. Recaro seats, mid November £850, and cup packs from the start of the year. Cant remember exactly where I saw it, but I did. So there. If I'm repeating other peeps, I apologise.

(I know it's not a clio, but the Megane 230 R26 in liquid yellow will be nice. Just want a punter to order one so I can drive it.)

A Beautiful R32
If I ordered one and you drove it I wouldn't be happy... lol I love that yellow meggy...

I'll give a 197 a test drive when the cup packs are out... ;)

I've never driven any customers car in that way. Even just driving it from the valet bay to the showroom at 5mph would do. Just so I can say I have driven one. We have a 225 demonstrator for the daft stuff. Or a 197 demonstrator if I wanna go round corners quick. I do respects people's hard earned cash.

A Beautiful R32
I know mate, was only joking... ;)

TBH, I'd really have to fight the temptation not to give the demonstrators a good thrashing... :)

Octy VRS
henbroon said:
Anyway, back to planet real. Found on a renault site, that new white wheels (possibly speedline) from the 2007 Clio Cup Racer will be available soon for £175. Recaro seats, mid November £850, and cup packs from the start of the year.
Why not have these options available when the car is launched? That's what annoyed me when they made the Recaros available on the 182. I'd have definitely gone for them when I ordered the thing a few months earlier.
:S

cli0 172 said:
Are the Recaro's not going to be an extra 500 ?? that was the figure said on fifth gear :S

'They' also said it has 4 NCAP stars and actually allowed it to go to air without being corrected.

Renault need to revise the engine to match the cup cars 205ps IMO and actually make sure it is a genuine 200bhp this time

that plus cup packs and finally they will be in business

The current effort, even though I like it, is a long way short of the 182..........a long way short

oska said:
Why not have these options available when the car is launched? That's what annoyed me when they made the Recaros available on the 182. I'd have definitely gone for them when I ordered the thing a few months earlier.
:S

Williams
Williams 2
Williams 3
Clio Cup
182 Cup
182 Cup packs
Recaros
Clio Trophy
Megane Trophy
Megane Cup
Megane F1
Megane F1 'R26'

See where this is going?

ralph wiggum said:
Renault need to revise the engine to match the cup cars 205ps IMO and actually make sure it is a genuine 200bhp this time

that plus cup packs and finally they will be in business

The current effort, even though I like it, is a long way short of the 182..........a long way short

I can't see them pulling another 10bhp out of the bag. The best we can hope for is revised ratios that aren't engineered to slow it down.

Pacey_uk said:
Doesn't the 197 really have 194bhp?

It SHOULD have 194bhp, the fact of the matter is I doubt it even has that.

Slow it is not, unfortunately its not that quick either, sure its a step forward in many areas, but critically it falls short on thrill, excitement and genuine pace

Sorry, I meant its marketed at 197PS which whereas it really has 194bhp, so even less if you buy a friday afternoon version.

Roy Munson said:
I can't see them pulling another 10bhp out of the bag. The best we can hope for is revised ratios that aren't engineered to slow it down.

The cup car is currently stated on Renaultsports website as 205ps (i think , who knows could be bhp)

Certainly revisions to the engine will need to be made...............this will only go on how the corsa VXR and peugeot 207 gti fair against it, even then I can see Renault sitting back on there 'reputation' so to speak. Suspension tweeks are not enough IMO as i honestly felt it was 'ok' when i drove it

ralph wiggum said:
The cup car is currently stated on Renaultsports website as 205ps (i think , who knows could be bhp)

I know, but the old Cup racer had c. 190, and we never saw that.

True, on the other hand, there was no need to up the power of the 172 to 182, they never done with the gt turbo, valver or the mk1 172.

I would be suprized that in around 18 months-2years time a renaultsport 202clio is out

Roy Munson said:
Very possibly, lets f**king hope so! The current 197 feels gutless :(

I know........was so so so tempted to buy one........still am in a way with the recaros. Just know I will remember the 182 and regret my decision to get a 197.

I am on the lookout for a mint tuned up williams as I think its logical for me to maybe get one to satify my needs, that or spend a wedge doing suspension, brakes and some choice engine upgrades.

Nissan 350Z
Roy Munson said:

I was always under the impression that the 197 had short gearing, and if so, that would not be "engineered to slow it down" in my book. That might be the case if it had very tall gearing but from what i can see it does not.

The lack of speed seems to be a combination of much heavier kerb weight, a smoother engine, and tighter due to less miles.

pbirkett said:
I was always under the impression that the 197 had short gearing, and if so, that would not be "engineered to slow it down" in my book. That might be the case if it had very tall gearing but from what i can see it does not.

The lack of speed seems to be a combination of much heavier kerb weight, a smoother engine, and tighter due to less miles.

Is it short, or close? There's a difference. You can easily engineer the speed of a car using gearing but still keep the ratios tightly spaced.

Consider the same power/weight as a CTR but a top end 15mph slower AND 2 seconds slower to 100. Mind boggling.

I'm no expert but as I see it there are two scenarios;

1/ A failry tall first gear, a very low top gear = not particularly impressive acceleration, and a low top speed with very fizzy 'short' ratios inbetween each cog.

2/ No where near 197ps

Last edited:
  NEED V6!
Look at this stunner same colour as mine, but the shape of the megane r26 shows the true colour of the Liquid ye
imagegallery5.jpg
llow

There was a post on a forum somewhere that said that is not liquid yellow but a new colour. I'm not sure if that's true.

It's Liquid Yellow. The 197 has 197hp whereas the race car has 205hp. These are the metric figures (same as PS) and the same as quoted by virtually all car manufacturers.

The seats are £850 and available from November. The wheels are the same design as the Cup car (though nor as wide as the Cup car) and are £175 and available later this month.

Nissan 350Z
Roy Munson said:
Is it short, or close? There's a difference. You can easily engineer the speed of a car using gearing but still keep the ratios tightly spaced.

Consider the same power/weight as a CTR but a top end 15mph slower AND 2 seconds slower to 100. Mind boggling.

I'm no expert but as I see it there are two scenarios;

1/ A failry tall first gear, a very low top gear = not particularly impressive acceleration, and a low top speed with very fizzy 'short' ratios inbetween each cog.

2/ No where near 197ps

OK... thats a fair point.

However, comparing to the CTR, the CTR actually is 3 bhp more, and 40 kg less than the 197, so it actually falls quite short to that in acceleration. Not as much as the figures seem to suggest though.

I'm guessing the top speed is limited by gearing?

Also the CTR probably sports shorter ratios again does it not? It probably should do since its torque is even higher up the rev range and it has a good extra 1000 rpm to play with, so that *should* give a small advantage too.

In principle though I agree with what you say, the performance should be in the same ballpark but it isnt.

Doesn't stop it being a great car, but I can't shake this nagging feeling that Renaultsport have deliberately held it's outright pace back slightly, probably with the intention of unleashing more of it's potential as the model evolves. Based on the one I drove, it certainly has the potential, just not the feeling of pace. It's a shame.

Whilst perormance is only one ingredient of a great drivers car, IMO it was a mistake to not have the 197 be as quick as the 182. I reckon they've lost a lot of sales from 182 owners. When I was looking over the car before my test drive, I had virtually decided I was going to buy one. 15 minutes later I knew it was too slow. Certainly it feels slower than it is. A great car for new customers, but I'd imagine there are a LOT of 182 owners who didn't upgrade, based purely on performance.

Turbos.
It would be interesting to know the aerodynamic (CD) rating of the new Clio compared to the old though.

All Renault's power outputs are quoted as metric HP. This is the same as PS. This metric output is used by virtually all manufacturers. 'BHP' is the imperial measurement. If BHP is quoted by one, they are most likely refering to HP/PS.

DC5
Jeremy Townsend said:
The seats are £850 and available from November. The wheels are the same design as the Cup car (though nor as wide as the Cup car) and are £175 and available later this month.
What about the cup packs that are also mentioned? Are these going to be available from the beginning of next year, or is it just another rumour?

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
^ Trophy style, remote res dampers.

Super lightweight Alloys.

Alloy bonnet.

Rotors and Bells.

LSD.

Last edited:
  FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
cliobuyer said:
It would be interesting to know the aerodynamic (CD) rating of the new Clio compared to the old though.

Just seen this for the 197,
Performance
Max speed (mph)
0 to 62mph

Aerodynamics
CdA

Fuel Consumption
Urban
Extra Urban
Combined

Cant find the 182 figure tho :~