ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Wheel Vs 182 content

What do you mean?

There was also a small piece of plastic on the clip a little different come to think of it but I just trimmed that off and it clipped in.

You've answered your own question matey!

You've essentially modified the clip to force it into a coupling it was not designed for, granted its a small adjustment but it is still different in fit & colour.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You've answered your own question matey!

You've essentially modified the clip to force it into a coupling it was not designed for, granted its a small adjustment but it is still different in fit & colour.
So you have done the same with the clip then?

Very well done to you though! Have you a rough idea on what you think prices would be? When did you get it finished anyhow?

Finished today and tested for an hour or so to ensure everything was ok electronically. More details will be made avaliable in the next week if it becomes viable :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Looks good Tom. Any noticeable differences when driving compared to the 182 wheel?

200 Gordini
Finished today and tested for an hour or so to ensure everything was ok electronically. More details will be made avaliable in the next week if it becomes viable :)

What do you mean 'if'? You mean.. 'When' ;)

I hope you mean when

Looks good Tom. Any noticeable differences when driving compared to the 182 wheel?

Far chunkier, and much more sculpted to grip, material is a lot 'cooler' to hold, not sticky/tacky like the old wheel. Its also nearer the driver by about an inch which allows the seating position to change for the better - lovely tbh :)

What do you mean 'if'? You mean.. 'When' ;)
I hope you mean when

As above, give us a week or so ok :)

DB.

BMW 440i
Fiddly, along with the CC functions etc took a few hours to get right. We have a solution that we are happy with; airbag charge/circuit is all functioning perfectly. Need to validate some more details before even considering making it marketable. :)

Edit, already been answered! Took too long to write it!

Iceberg 172
Looks superb! If I hadn't of bought a Momo Team 300mm wheel I'd of been interested in this. It's the 1 thing I hate about the std interior!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Far chunkier, and much more sculpted to grip, material is a lot 'cooler' to hold, not sticky/tacky like the old wheel. Its also nearer the driver by about an inch which allows the seating position to change for the better - lovely tbh :)

Sounds good. Alright to jump in your driver's seat next time to get a feel? Would like to check out this better positioning.

yeah, will be there :)

On another note had a few PMs; the airbag configuration is not something I can discuss as we still have validation work to complete. Obviously we do want to be held liable for any issues that may arise from people modifying there own airbag looms interpreting our advice.

RenaultSport Clio 172
question: for the people that are overseas, will you be offering an adaptor for the airbag loom, assuming everything goes to plan?
Also, are you able to let us know what kind of certification/testing is being performed on the airbag?

Good questions. Certification is a no as it just does not exist - fullstop. This is still at the end of the day an aftermarket modification. However we are validating every aspect to ensure complete reliability - this is important is it has far more serious safety implications than just a remap for instance. The configuration of the work means that there is no electrical 'modification' to the airbag circuit or system.

The wheel will only be avaliable fitted by us I'm afraid :(

might want to edit your post Tom, "do not"..... ;)

lol! :eek:

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Quick question (again :eek:).

Once the wheel is fitted it will pretty much block off the holes which you need access to to remove the airbag, how do you get around this? Or do you just struggle, badly.

RenaultSport Clio 172
The wheel will only be avaliable fitted by us I'm afraid :(

That's a shame, as it's limiting your market to those in the UK... i know there'd be a fair few people in Australia who would be interested in it if a 'plug in' loom was developed (i.e. you plug it in between the 172/182 loom and the new 197 wheel/airbag loom) and it was certified/proven to work in the same manner of the OEM airbag.
Unfortunately, being in Australia, it's a bit hard to get it fitted by you guys :p

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
That's a shame, as it's limiting your market to those in the UK... i know there'd be a fair few people in Australia who would be interested in it if a 'plug in' loom was developed (i.e. you plug it in between the 172/182 loom and the new 197 wheel/airbag loom) and it was certified/proven to work in the same manner of the OEM airbag.
Unfortunately, being in Australia, it's a bit hard to get it fitted by you guys :p
There wouldn't be space for that sort of loom in a 197 wheel anyway!

alien green rs133
damn just spotted this, i had a toss up between the 197 wheel and the one out of the laguna, its really chubby, i went for laguna, ill have to see if it fits when it turns up..

if it dont ill be making the trip to jms :D

Civic Type S GT
Tom would you not be able to do a print out out of what needs to be done to fit it. Its just I really really want one and it's a trip and a half to get to you guys from mine, 4 hours to be percise. :(

ITB'd MK1
What do you mean? On the one I had it connected upto the car without any problems. The only additional item was a earth to the air bag. There was also a small piece of plastic on the clip a little different come to think of it but I just trimmed that off and it clipped in.

the extra bit on the plug is there so they can't be pluged in the wrong place

Quick question (again :eek:).

Once the wheel is fitted it will pretty much block off the holes which you need access to to remove the airbag, how do you get around this? Or do you just struggle, badly.

As per PM, turn the wheel to access and if needs be pull off the upper steering column surround.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If you think your other products are selling well, wait until you manage to get a drive in/out service on this! I think you'll be minted!!! LOL!

Although I actually felt myself die a little inside when I read it wasnt ph1 compatiable....

Or is it possible to put the ph2 hub on the ph1?? (straws, clutching)

Clio 172 RS2
Hi Tom,

Excellent work! Curious how the leather will hold up though...

Gotta' hand it to Matt... a 1st on CS!
Like the other guy with the 'autoland' coil-overs.

How many will follow suit?

Its my car, not matts ;) Wouldn't have happened if he hadn't taken the initiative and dropped us a wheel off!

Its not leather, which is probably a good start ;)

172, Tiguan
I'll be certainly interested in this when I know a ballpark figure.

There is nothing stopping anyone else out side the UK or anywhere though trying it for themselves, I'm sure if these guys can work it out anyone else could.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
;)

wheel2.JPG

That looks sound mate what renault SHOULD have fitted :approve:

How far away does it put the stalks? Still within 'flicking' distance without taking your hand off the wheel?

I want this done, a lot.