ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

BMW M5 & E36
liking the progress mate. That slam panel job will make your life soooo much easier. one of the best design features about the valver engine bay :D

Yeah much better, glad I did it. Realised the difference already. 172 radiator would have given me massive headaches if I didn't cut it out.

BMW M5 & E36
Spent more hours on it tonight, may aswell crack on while I've got some motivation on the go :)

Put the wiring and loom building to one side for tonight and got stuck in with the engine itself.

I picked a clutch fork pivot bush/cap up from Volvo on the way home from work which is needed with the longer fork the 172 uses. So I needed to take the gearbox off the old F7P. Not touched the gearbox at all since I bought it, a 20 quid special from Mark One which is now on its 3rd engine since it's been in my possession. Cant guarantee how long it'll last, but I'll address that issue when the time comes.

Valver loom to one side and box off

25082009760.jpg

F4R ready for box. Clutch cleaned after I spilt a bit of oil over it before

25082009761.jpg

172 clutch fork, release bearing and pivot bush fitted in place of old valver items. Cable riser bracket needs to be added later on as per 172's.

25082009762.jpg

Gearbox on

25082009763.jpg

Starter motor and exhaust manifold fitted

25082009764.jpg

Then, as if by magic, it's in :cool:

25082009765.jpg

25082009766.jpg

:)

Discounted 1*2 parts
quality thread chris. wish i had a garage to do something like this. car looked sweet when i picked up your 182. you going to the oct marham track day?

BMW M5 & E36
Ah, wondered if you'd appear on here. How's the 182 treating you? I miss it.

Be doing Marham yeah, got my name down so the car needs to be done by then. You fancy it?

Discounted 1*2 parts
Ah, wondered if you'd appear on here. How's the 182 treating you? I miss it.

Be doing Marham yeah, got my name down so the car needs to be done by then. You fancy it?

yea love it mate just cant wait to start buying a few bits for it.

yea i do fancy it got a few mates going, when is the deadline for payment?

BMW M5 & E36
Undecided on that just yet.

I think i'll go without for the time being, keep an eye on temps and make sure I'm happy before I think about selling it. If it was a higher spec build then yep, but with so few people running them in 172/182 track cars I think it'll be OK.

It'll keep things tidier without too, was a royal pain routing the pipes before and would be even worse given the bigger raditator. Your thoughts?

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
im going to fit an oil cooler when i change my engine as on a stage the oil temps were getting well above 100 degree's

BMW M5 & E36
Yeah, on my old old (now dead) F7P, the temps were getting rediculously high which is why i fitted the cooler for F7P#2. If I was sticking with that, or fitting an F7R I'd be 100% keeping it. F4R seems to run alot cooler on the whole though, or maintains its temp better anyway.

BMW M5 & E36
Oh, is anyone in need of another F7P at all? 130k bottom end with a 70k head. Head rebuilt by me 2/3k ago. Strong engine as can be seen in my vids. Good pressure and temp. £cheap :D

yeh, mine seems to sit just on or below 100

but then I've not tracked it yet...

Just imagine....Blasting round Brands with the air-con blazin', trip computer loggin' and correct ECU file runnin!

With all the trackdays ive done this year, its used hardly, if any oil, and thats constant high RPM....so it cant be running THAT hot...

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Just imagine....Blasting round Brands with the air-con blazin', trip computer loggin' and correct ECU file runnin!

With all the trackdays ive done this year, its used hardly, if any oil, and thats constant high RPM....so it cant be running THAT hot...

sounds like my kinda track day! :D

mines not used a drop of engine oil since it's been group-n'd!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Awesome car :cool:

Just on the oil cooler is the Sandwich plate a thermostatic one?

If so i'd be tempted to fit it anyway as wont do any harm..

BMW M5 & E36
Awesome car :cool:

Just on the oil cooler is the Sandwich plate a thermostatic one?

If so i'd be tempted to fit it anyway as wont do any harm..
Mocal thermostatic job yeah. I agree that it won't hurt to run it anyway, just it'd make things alot easier without. I'd need to get a new pair of pipes made up too as the old ones struggled to reach around the smaller mk1 radiator.

BMW M5 & E36
Got hold of an early Ph1 fuel rail and a couple of fuel lines from Beaniemoo the other day. Fuel pressure regulator on the rail in the same style as the Valver rail, rather than being regulated at the tank as per later Mk2's

IMG_2481.jpg

Made up a small bracket to mount the coilpack just above the thermostat housing

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

Alternator taken off the other engine and fitted along with the brackets and 5 rib belt

IMG_2484.jpg

Clutch cable riser bracket fitted and then the cable put on. Pedal feels lovely and soft/smooth compared to what the valver one was

IMG_2485.jpg

I'd been using a broken battery tray/top gearbox mount for a while now as I snapped the top lug off one day which bolts up onto the inner wing. Not the end of the world, but it wasn't as solid as it should have been. Not got hold of another tray yet so I made this up instead. Does the job just fine and uses 2 exisiting holes.

IMG_2486.jpg

So it's now sat on all 4 mounts. I also adjusted the solid dogbone mount so that the engine sat in about the right position for the exhaust to be clear.

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

Top inlet loosely put on. I need to get a new set of plugs yet so no point bolting it down. Now the engine was in position it also showed me that I wouldnt be able to run my strut brace, despite cutting away the majority of the coilpack mount on the back of the inlet. Not far away, but not quite there.

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

Finally checked fitment of the radiator and hoses. Makes me feel good seeing it look not too far off being done :D

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

I need to find a reducer of some description for one of the heater matrix ports as the samco is too big.

'Nearly finished' ;)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
can't believe you got those fuel lines.. i've been after those!!!

do need the specs of the reducers or can you measure them up yourself?

another 10sec job is to take a mallet to the throttle cable bracket and just knock it down a cm or 2 to clear the bonnet

good progress though!

is your dogbone the same length as standard?

BMW M5 & E36
Sorry :eek:

If you know the size that I need off the top of your head, and where I might find one that'd be good please. The top port is fine, it's the bottom one thats too small for the hose.

Cable bracket soft enough to bend? Was looking at that earlier actually :)

Dogbone will be shorter than standard now I believe. I did have it set to standard length before, but now I've adjusted it to rotate the engine forwards slightly.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Get the mocal push fit types.. Pretty sure I even have a few spare fittings and push on type hose in blue as well ;)

Although they are a total b!tch to get over the barbs :rolleyes:

All looks like it's coming along great :cool:

I found if you set the dogbone to its shortest the downpipe seems to fit better....well, if your using a 172 donor cat to make the downpipe.......yours may be slightly different Matteh.....I found standard length gave alot of knocking

340i
I found if you set the dogbone to its shortest the downpipe seems to fit better....well, if your using a 172 donor cat to make the downpipe.......yours may be slightly different Matteh.....I found standard length gave alot of knocking

Is that an official "Rig - Up - Racing" technique? ;)