ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

95ron vs 97ron, the truth:

Clio 197
I get more miles per tank on 97ron compared to 95ron (in both the 225 and the 182).

So, with that in mind: 97ron costs 2p more than 95 ron per litre (at Sainsburys, which is actually BP).

45 lites x 2pence = 90pence...

But you'd get a minimum of 15 extra miles out of each tank.. (30 if being sensible).... on 97ron, compared to 95 ron.

The 182 runs on 12p per mile (average): 12pence x 15 miles = £1.80

In conclusion, you only pay 90pence, to get an extra 15 miles... but those 15 miles are worth £1.80.

So, you're 90pence better off each time you fill-up with 97ron... AND it runs smoother/stronger.

Optimax was far too expensive to pay for itself, when I ran my tests - so now I stick to 97.

The end.

Nippy white cup
I have been using Total 98 ron and have just gone back to Optimax...they were charging 97p at total and I can travel a little further and get opti for 91p...and my fuel econ has gone up 3-4 mpg!

chris

MKIII 138
i bought son 95 ron the other day from a small family run garage it cost 92p per liter and iam not joking it used a hell of a lot more fuel than it usually does !!!!!!!! really like £20 in two days, so went to my local BP 24hr garage 88.6 per liter and ron 98 its lasted from wed to friday !! 150miles on £20 on Ron98 and and 110miles on ron 95 !!

over a week with a full tank im saving on 80-90miles expenditure by using the higher ron and for me it was cheaper to get.

feel sorry for the family run garage though as due to silly prices everyone is really picky about what garage to goto i wont be going there to put ron 95 in my cup.. not only does the cost seem either the same or higher its less economical also.

and most people run around in ron98 optomised cars these days

jzr

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
i did a 600 mile trip the week end to essex an back around 300 there an 300 back. i put opti in on the way down i had 2 bars left when i got there. i filled up with asda crap as there was no other garage's around there home an i had to stop to fill up again about 40 miles away from home so that just show's opti is the best to go for. it may cost more to put in but u get better mpg. My scooby ran like a dog on tesco crap an then when i put opti in it was like a beast again

SLK 350
meggerman - BP don't do 98RON, their 'Ultimate' is only 97RON.

Really getting sick of these repeatitive threads though, everybody has their own opinion, everybodies car reacts (if at all) differently and everyone seems happy using what they normally use.

Can appreciate that omar is doing a slightly different angle here, but can you really compare one tank to another, can you systematically say that every prod of the accelerator is the same as the tank before? And that ultimately it's a fair test, i categorically think it's not.

Also another point i think people fail to take into account is that even under idle (stopped at traffic lights, gridlocked) your MPG is being counted on the trip, which again doesn't help gauge a fair test.

Only way to do this would be to pump out the tank, then put £20 in it. Get it on the rollers set cruise control and run it till it dies - there really isn't any other way.

Clio 197
^^

I have 42,000 miles worth of 182 petrol receipts.

I also have 20,000 miles worth of 225 petrol receipts.

I live for "pence per mile", since that's how I get paid... so I've really put a lot of research into it.

SLK 350
Your missing my point. Milage isn't a good comparison for comparing fuels, if i put £20 in for arguments sake and drive aggresively obviously im going to get less milage than if i was to drive like a woman with a blue rinse.

But further more i could put that £20 in and drive what i feel is exactly the same and still get varying MPG or milage due to - conditions/traffic/my own right foot/how harshly i brake/cornering speed etc etc.

The point im making is these 300+ threads in the last few months regarding this topic really haven't done anything to change peoples beliefs, and on the contrary theres no compelling evidence in any thread to show you get increased/decreased performance or increased/decreased MPG.

But on the contrary if you think it improves your MPG, then well thats fine too :)

sinc ei bought my car i always used optimax

but now ive been filling up with sainsburys super unleaded.. its cheap as hell and 97 ron.

Clio 197
ozzyo99 said:
The point im making is these 300+ threads in the last few months regarding this topic really haven't done anything to change peoples beliefs, and on the contrary theres no compelling evidence in any thread to show you get increased/decreased performance or increased/decreased MPG.

But on the contrary if you think it improves your MPG, then well thats fine too :)

I think that 42,000 miles represents a good average of: hard driving / soft driving / hot temperatures / cold temperatures / up hill / down hill etc...

So, from an MPG point of view: I would say that a Clio182 will do more MPG using 97ron compared to 95ron, and that it is definately worth the extra 2 pence per litre.

and that is fact!

:)

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
i wouldnt put 95 ron in a 225 wether it was better on fuel or not,there was a bloke on the renault sport forum who burnt a couple of valves out in a 225 and he'd been using normal fuel

Clio 197
^^

That's nothing to do with the fuel IMO.

I did approx 15k on 95ron in the 225, and the engine was sound as a pound...

More to do with build quality IMO.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
omar said:
^^

That's nothing to do with the fuel IMO.

I did approx 15k on 95ron in the 225, and the engine was sound as a pound...

More to do with build quality IMO.

build quality may have been an issue but most turbo cars are designed to run on higher octane fuel,

172beast

Get this months Evo mag, excellent fuel test, even has Tescos 99 RON in the test.