ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Accord Type R VS 172 CUP?

20vt Fiat Coupe(182 Sold)
Another one of these "vs" topics. Just out of curiosity, and previously being a Clio 182 owner, from a rolling start in a straight line, will a 172 Cup beat an ATR? This particular cup has been lowered, and has a cat back s/s exhaust, suspected to be cammed but unsure of that. My ATR has been lowered on Eibachs, pirelli p7000 tyres, Black Diamond Grooved Discs and pads all round, K&N Typhoon, with open air feeds in the bumper. The guy, even joked about betting his car as a prize that he would win, hands down.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
when i had my cup it saw one off without too much trouble...as always there's so many variables. driver skill etc. familiarity with the car and its limits etc etc.

ST
Hmmm the Accord will prob give away a little to the cup due to the cup being more agile and having better power to weight.

182 Cup
There's no way he'll beat you 'hands down', I doubt there will be much in it. P7000's won't help your cause though in my opinion. You'd best hope he's running re-moulds!

Well believe it or not, through a "private back road" ive saw of a Focus ST-3, on a "private long stretch of road" ive gave a megane 225, and the new Leon Cupra R a run for there money, was maybe half a car lenght in it either way.

Tav

Clio 197
It's not even a proper Type R, given how close my 182 Cup is to an Integra Type R I think a 172 Cup would horse an Accord.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
Owned both, keep the ATR in VTEC, if on a roll keep it in 1st if you have to. Depends on what speed you go to and start from, over 100 I'd favour the ATR, below that the Cup.

New Kangoo Van!
Well how does the accord type r compare to the civic type r? I've had a few battles with CTR's and theres nothing in it whatsoever.

S3, Polo
^^ Assuming that you're implying that a bigger engine means it's quicker:

CH1 ATR = ~1400kg // 210bhp (JDM has 220bhp)
EP3 CTR = ~1200kg // 200bhp

The Civic would be quicker.

Trophy #490
My standard Trophy 'beat' one from a rolling start last summer. Both on the outside lane on a dual carriageway, he was behind me, the car infront of me pulled over to let us past. 3rd gear from 60mph ish, through 4th, and I pulled away considerably. At least 3-4 car lengths from him being about an inch away from my bumper at the start.

Then I let him past when I pulled over, and about a mile further up the road booted it from 2nd gear this time away from a roundabout. Him in front this time, but my Trophy gained on him easily in 2nd and 3rd until I turned off for the motorways! In Bradford it was, just coming back from the Yorkshire Dales.

BMW F21 125d

Not at all, its all about power to weight, where the cup comes into its own

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Accord weighs 1306kg's @ 162/bhp ton

Civic has 166bhp/ton

and the Cup 170bhp/ton

To say one would beat the other would purley be down the the driver and not the power of the engine imo

None :(
i luv reading these type of threads :)

Just gives me a rough idea whether to bother or not at the lights ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
^ Didn't even think they produced 170bhp (which is important to remember in threads like this). And they certainly don't weigh less than a tonne.

MCS R56
^ Didn't even think they produced 170bhp (which is important to remember in threads like this). And they certainly don't weigh less than a tonne.

Well on paper they produce 170bhp and weigh 1090kg. You do the math....

Probably around 168bhp/tonne.

MCS R56
According to Evo...

Renaultsport Clio Cup
02-04
4/1998
170/6250
1011kg
-
rating_4.gif

Bargain old-school hot hatch
Nervous in the wet. No ABS

Thanks for the feedback guys, yes the ATR weights around 1380kg and is approx 209bhp, and revs to around 8000rpm. And it was purely based on a straight line drag race idea. The CTR is 198bhp.

not alot of difference between standard cars, but if the clio is indeed cammed is should have a slight edge

powershift and you'll have him ;)

immaculate clio 172
Well how does the accord type r compare to the civic type r? I've had a few battles with CTR's and theres nothing in it whatsoever.
Ive owned a 2003 ctr just over a year ago and my mate had a accord type r and there wasnt really anything in it ctr maybe slightly quicker off the line and now i have a 2002 ph2 172 and to be honest 0-100 mph it would be anyones win out of the 3 of them they are that similarly power to weight etc but must add that after a ton my old ctr would hammer my 172,:dapprove: Just being honest lol