ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adeys F4RT Twingo GT

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Thought id bosh a quick thread up on here, i do have a full one over at TurboRenault.co.uk but thought id share it here too. Please move it over if its in the wrong section.

A few people might know me here, ive owned many RS clios, Ph1 on itbs cams and standalone about 11 years back, i built a supercharged ph1 along side @bomber that made 280bhp, ive had a a couple of cups silver and blue, a trophy and a turbocharged 172. The last clio i had was a tidy 182 i saved from neglect but a new job role and family commitments made me require something a little more economical so i put the 182 out for sale or swaps for a Twingo GT. I had one of these brand spanking back in 2007 but being so new no one wanted to touch it, and as it wasnt an RS no one really cared, but i knew they had a chunk of potential and being turbo could be modded with relative ease. A chap on one of the FB groups said he had one and he was interested in a trade for my 182, a deal was struck and back in November last year i got hold of the burgundy GT. A lot of this will be a copy and paste but will show the basics of whats gone on.

Oh hello, its me again and in yet another car.....

Its a 2009 twingo gt in a metalic red colour. Purchased/exchanged as a modern eco warrior daily. Not sure what will happen with it yet, defo needs some wheels and new tires though.

She has what looks to be a ktec exhaust system fitted and it isnt too intrusive at all, some lowering springs and some hideous wheels with no name tires fitted for that damp roundabout drift sesh everyone loves......Drives well to be fair and seems to run on fresh air. The little 1.1/1.2 (depending where you read) 1149cc turbo looks to be boosting at around 8psi giving a factory 100ps (99hp) or 104bhp on overboost. I can see a little ecu reflash happening in the future maybe with a decat and bigger injectors.

FB_IMG_1543080316211.jpg
FB_IMG_1543080307591.jpg
20181125_143521.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So i have a slight plan of action for the twin-go-slow. a few areas need sorting for me, the suspension and wheels (so coilovers needed) brakes (either 285mm txi brakes or some sort of hub swap for 172 items) and the engine.... fmic, proper downpipe, air filter, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump and then remap) that on the engine will probably push the limits of most of it but should see a solid 140/150bhp according to the web, theres also the possibility of further with a hybrid turbo and an uprated clutch. hopefully i will still have it and its still usable for next years national day (y)

wheels should be sorted this weekend, i have a set of clio 172 16inch wheels on the way, ill prob swap out for 15s at a later date. not sure how they will look yet though as ive not seen a twingo on them.

first week of ownership has been uneventful, daily buzzing around car, got a dodgy airbag connection somewhere and it has a common twingo issue of a couple of dash lights illuminating dimly. Other than that its quite sprightly to drive around, id actually say its more like a stock 5 gtt than the twingo rs was as a replacement.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
sooo my car was really s**t on some no name tires, felt scary at 15mph on wet corners..... turns out the previous owner fit the directional tires on the wrong way round! anyway, this eve i threw on the 172 sport wheels. i think they suit it though need to be pushed out 20 to 25mm to fill the arches a little better. looks like a baby flamer clio.

20181205_200606.jpg
20181205_193743.jpg
20181208_155729.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Been doing some digging around and stuff on potential upgrades, hard work as no one in the uk does much more than a injector swap and map. I contacted a company who were happy to hybrid the turbo for me, great stuff, not too big an outlay ether. Then i did some old skool thinking and tried to find a turbo that would swap on. Actually very hard to do with very little information available, but....... after about 3 days of internet searching i may have found a near bolt on solution for a bigger blower. It will need clocking and a custom down pipe (i needed one anyway) but should be a good upgrade if it works. We will see.

Turbo found and is super cheap, hopefully it can be made to work. There are a few variations of the turbo and fittments but it looks like it should work.

The stock turbo is a Mitsubishi unit, it looks to be a td02 or a td025 unit. This new unit is a Mitsubishi tf035. Comes fitted to 160bhp engines so should be capable as an upgrade. Fingers crossed itll fit up nicely.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Updates, turbo should be here friday so i can take a closer look at a swap.

I have some 20mm spacers on the way to help fill the arches a touch more.

Ive dug out the old mk1 clio turbos intercooler too, needs a tidy up but considering it fits a mk1 and mk2 clio ok it should fit the twiglet with a little angle grinderaction. Fitting that is my christmas job weather permitting.

20190104_195454.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to get 10min to make the new improved induction kit, 2 x 70mm 45 ali pipes, 70mm silicone joiner and 70mm ramair filter. Its tight but alot better than the diy bodge id done earlier. And it sounds awesome with a little rev.

48424318_10155903422986500_5180558001605443584_n.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Tidy, 280mm big brake conversion on the Twingo GT, should be identical on the 5 gtt and the valvers and any base version clio or twingo that had the vented 238mm and 259mm brakes. l just need to complete the other side and bleed everything and take it for a test drive. Props to @niconkk as it was his thread i saw about the 16v brake upgrade and knowing Renault like to share from the parts bin the non rs clios and non rs twingos seem to share the valver brake setup, so i took a punt and tried this on mine.

Basically as already read on this site it can be done with a little PMT, some clio sport 280mm disks and the calipers and carriers of a Peugeot 307 2.0ltr (i believe the petrol and diesel use the same ones, i found these in a breakers by measuring the disk they were on which should be 283-286mm) The disk, pad area, piston and calliper are all bigger so should give better stopping power and heat dissipation.

The carriers require a little material removing where they are close to the disk and then i fitted a small washer to centralise the carrier around the disk. After that is sorted it is a properly bolt on affair. The metal removed is so slight you could do it with a decent file, i did it quickly using a rasp in a power drill.

20181228_153648.jpg
20181228_162005.jpg
20181228_160832.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Aaaaannnnnnnd done. Roughed out the pipework then chopped out the crossmember a little..... dusted all edges with some black paint i had lying around to hold off corrosion. I did at one point think id have to ditch the AC as it was tight but think i have that sorted now using a mix of oem and aftermarket pipes. I may have to revisit the intercooler to inlet pipe as i had to sleeve over a pre formed plastic pipe. Ideally the whole part wants replacing but it would require some sort of adapter making to the inlet manifold. The only real issue i have come against is the oil filler, it no longer fits correctly due to the clio turbo outlet pipe being fitted, i will shortly be googling the clio or wind parts to see if they will clear. Pics in no particular order

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Finally took delivery of the coilovers. i was getting a little worried after the company i ordered through didnt reply with tracking details. Made a start on fitting them but needed to take the old shocks to a local garage to get the top nuts undone. Thus time has been cut short so i will finish up fitting them tomorrow. Im also on the hunt for some cheap gaz rears.
apcoil.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Got a little bored last night, was tempted to try wrapping but as the bumper was a little damaged anyway i hit it with a sander and satin black paint. Didnt turn out too bad i dont think?

20190126_112823.jpg
20190126_112537.jpg
20190125_164843.jpg
20190127_150500(0).jpg
20190127_150703.jpg
20190127_151515.jpg
20190127_153241 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20190127_151515 (1).jpg
    20190127_151515 (1).jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 237

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Still no pics of the wheels on the car but i did take a quick look at the fuel pump arangement to look at an upgrade. What i found was the rear seats are held in with 4 bolts and are quick release. Chucked them on the scales at circa 19kgs each so they can stay out for a little while, plus the whole rear is carpeted so isnt too offensive. Ive had them in the down position since owning the car so no loss.

20190206_174203.jpg
20190206_173717.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So ive gotten a few bits together for future upgrades on the twingo. what was sold to me as a ph1 pump set up and rail. The pump might be off a late ph1 though as it has some regulator setup in tank but still had a feed and return line. Quick strip down and check to see what was going on then a little fettel with the drill to bypass the regulator, ala a pump setup that will work with the ph1 rail. just need to make sure it fits the tank correctly and i need to score a wiring plug as its different to the twingo. Local scrappy will be visited in the next few days.

20190206_194934.jpg
20190206_174249.jpg
20190206_200842.jpg

Attachments

• 20190206_200043.jpg
    20190206_200043.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 297

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
not sure why i bother trying to make it easy and buy stuff.

1 x PMT ph1 fuel rail setup. Survives the blow test for sealing so will try it with some fuel this weekend hopefully. Took all of 20min with a soldering iron and sand paper. Not pretty but should do the job nicely.

20190207_181222.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So the clio rail even though its said is needed on the twingo when fitting bigger injectors, isnt the right offset for the injectors, so wont fit, so i cant use the clio rail anyway. Im trying to gain a rising rate fuel pressure setup to negate the need to run silly big injectors for small gains. In stock form for example the clio 172 injectors on a non rising turbo setup will be flat out at around 135ish bhp, add a rising rate fuel pressure setup and they are good for 180ish bhp. This will give me scope in the future if i go with a bigger turbo.

The clio fuel pump setup i have will be fine for me now but ive added external rising rate FPR to the shopping list, its a jenvey housing and accepts the normal bosch/webber type reg. Ive also ordered up some ss braided fuel line for the connections. Fingers crossed i can have it all fitted in the next week and then get booked in for mapping.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
date booked in for some slightly custom mapping :D

and also the car on an eco friendly vibe returned 45mpg on the last tank. Not bad as it was purchased as a commuter.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
This mornings mission was to upgrade the fuel system to include an external fpr. Renault did good and left all the extra hangers and clips i needed under the car and the fuel pump was a direct fit so all went well. Looks a little pikey in the engine bay but its not leaking thus will do the job. I would like to go all out at somepoint and have the turbo intake and boost hoses all made up nicely in aluminium. Jenvey external fpr, some braided hose and a T peice to join it together. The reg has been fitted pre rail rather than post but still does the same job of keeping the pressure constant and will increase it when the reg is plumbed to a vac line. Ill put some miles on it to check for leaks but so far so good.

20190216_102146.jpg
20190216_091016.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So I left the house at 10 am yest, giving me time for fuelling up, toilet stops and traffic. I was booked in for a 3pm start at EFI parts. A quick jet wash and fuel up before leaving town saw me hit the road in reality about 10.45 for a nice steady drive up north on light cruise. Sun was shining and all was good. And then I got close to brum, the traffic was shocking and the weather grim. Any way I arrived at EFI parts just after 2 after stopping into burger king (free 5bhp extra if you get chris some fries from there lol)

Once at the workshop we had a little chat about the old days, new stuff and expectations of the car. Bit of an odd one as the car really isn't tuned much anywhere so this was a little bit of research and development too. Chris plugged the laptop in and started doing his magic whilst I set about fitting the 172 injectors. After a little while a base map was written and loaded up onto the car and it fired into life. The ecu on these take about 6min for each flash so every time a change was made to the file there was a bit of a wait.

lots of pulls on the dyno logging and checking were performed. We at one point saw 170+ lbft at 20psi at around 2500 rpm..........abit high considering we didn't know what the engine could take lol we settled on 15/16psi max of boost and the nice flat torque curve we have, I cant thank Chris enough, the car is a little riot to drive now and is literally like driving a new car rather than the old diesel style car it was. I set off home at about 8pm and landed safely at 11ish. long old day bit worth it. Revs really nice all the way round and makes some really nice noises :D clutch wont last im sure......... The drive is more akin to 172 now strangely but a modded one with out the flat spot or kick. But whilst doing so sounds like a megane on the exhaust. Hopefully at the dyno shoot out tomorrow i cam go for a little play with some clios and see how she fares.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Bigger turbo and clutch are next on the list i think will be interesting to see how it handles it, good going for sure and yeah similar power as a r5 gt with less capacity but 8 more valves. I can guarantee this has smaller thinner rods though so torque will break something at some point :D

So power wise its had a 47.9% increase in Horsepower and 38% increase in torque. Its enough in a light car to shock a few cars on the road. Especially the bright yellow 8L S3 i jumped on the way home from work. He pulled about 2 lengths on me till about 100mph then took off but after a few pulls i think he was surprised. Would be even more so if he knew it was a 1.1ltr lol

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Good day down at the dyno shootout today, the dyno showed it having more hp than at efi but the same torque. ill trust efi's rollers i think. It surprised them down there when i told them it was a little 1.1 turbo engine that came factory turbo charged rather than something i built. Had a little play with a 182 afterwards too and tbh there next to nowt in it! It would probably spank me above 100 but up till then its all good fun

52914742_10156237306385686_3687834374054608896_n.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Just as another little touch, this car is still doing its mpg thing. I filled up 5 miles from EFI, did 5 hours there with plenty of full bore pulls, A brisk 3 hour run home afterward, Fridays work commute, another dyno day in Gloucester along with some "playing" whilst over that way, the Monday commute and then the fuel light came on. Filled back up and worked out the usage at 39.85mpg. Not bad at all considering the fun, scoff did say when cruising mpg should stay near identical as it was and i think this prove that nicely. Shouldnt take much self control to nudge it back up to near 50mpg again (i had 54ish when running around on no boost for 2 weeks)

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Its quiet at work today, so i am at home tinkering on the twingo. The silicone elbow is here to thrown that on to make use of the space where the filter was and declutter the bay a little. My camera and phone are battered so pics arent to good. Straighter run to the tiny tiny turbo now rather than a full 180degree turn. Need to sort a catch tank/bottle next.

20190314_123154.jpg
20190314_122841 (1).jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Ill do a quick jump to the end, but basically switched out to 15 inch oz f1s from the 16s. Dialled in 1.6 deg of camber and 6/7min toe out, chucked some cheapo toyo tr1s on front, flushed the brake fluid and came along to the cliosport festival where it was a blast. The drive alone was about 300miles and it did the whole day on track, only used 1.5 tanks of fuel, ive literally filled up again this morning.

In the back ground i have a big turbo mated to a modified standard manifold but am unsure if i should go for another power hike or just go full 172 widetracked on it. Defo got the buzz back for some trackdays even though i thoroughly expected to get spanked and hate it.

Renault Turbo Blyton Park-69.jpg
Renault Turbo Blyton Park-70.jpg
Renault Turbo Blyton Park-79.jpg
Renault Turbo Blyton Park-80.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Nice! I have a Twingo RS133. Great cars.

i used to have one, coilovers, slicks and remap, good fun car but SOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo needed a power hike. I did build a 197 lump bolted to a jc5 box i was going to sling in it but never got round to finishing it off.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Very cool little car mate. Such a breath of fresh air seeing a capable Renault hatch out on track that isn't a Clio or Megane.
Cheers, i do like to be a little different, a few more handling mods and possibly a few more bhp and i think itd be a proper fun thing to smash about in. As i said above i totally expected to hate it out on track but it surprised me and i think a few people i let take it out there too (y)

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Interesting build this. As someone from the rallying world, little cars like this interest me, as I think they represent the future. What do you reckon the upper limits are of the engine? With the capacity multiplier, it would still sit in the 2.0-litre class, but it could offer decent torque over a normally aspirated engine.

Do the 133s have wider arches than these?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Great car mate. It went really well at Blyton too! I was in the red fiesta and had to ease up and let you past many of times ??

I love these small capacity turbo cars. As said above, it's the future really.

Look forward to seeing whats next to come with yours

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Brilliant wee things the gt's are. Love my 133 with the cams ect is a riot to drive. I would imagine you have fun shocking people :)

Cheers, i do like to be a little different, a few more handling mods and possibly a few more bhp and i think itd be a proper fun thing to smash about in. As i said above i totally expected to hate it out on track but it surprised me and i think a few people i let take it out there too (y)
You let people take it out, nice. Would have loved a blast in that.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting build this. As someone from the rallying world, little cars like this interest me, as I think they represent the future. What do you reckon the upper limits are of the engine? With the capacity multiplier, it would still sit in the 2.0-litre class, but it could offer decent torque over a normally aspirated engine.

Do the 133s have wider arches than these?
indeed the 133 is a fair bit different, not just the arches, wishbones hubs arb are all different. This is more clio spare parts than the 133.

With regards to the limits im not sure, not many are. My next plan of action, though it might not get there, is to slap a bigger blower on. The stock unit is flat out and dies off hard after 6k. It would literally give no more. It could probably get some more bottom end of the rpm range but i wanted a flat torque curve rather than a spikey turbo one if that makes sense? Anyway this engine is limited to a very low 6200rpm (6300 on mine) but it is based on the earlier 8v engine. A few people run the 8v on the continent and continually run to 8k on the stock bottom ends whilst racing. So if my engine is also capable of another 1000rpm (7200rpm) with no increase in torque, just shifting it to hold it to peak at 6900rpm it would then make very close to 200bhp with no increase in peak torque. Thats the idea in my head, just need to try it really. Would go nice with a decent 150ftlb and 200bhp, would still return 45mpg on a run too :D

Into dream land a little here now, As a side note, whilst originally testing we did get it to make 175ftlb at just 2500rpm, it didnt let go........ (touch wood) so if it could hold that 175ftlb at the same 6900rpm itd be up in the 230bhp range.

Before any of the above i think i will need to sort out a new clutch, i think i can do this by raiding the old renault parts bin again, with a 200mm volvo f block clutch thats known to take over 200ftlb

Last edited: