ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

aftermarket wheel prblems

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Had my momo wheel fitted today but dont like it so im going top be fitting the original 1 back on i think now as the steering seems so heavy i dont know if the garage whos fitted it as fitted it properly or not.

Im also unsure if hes cut any of the wire on the back.....Ive got a green plug and yellow plug connected to a sorta figure of eight cable...and the other 1 seems to have the plug taken off...any ideas on what this is for?....with it being a 182 there is the cruise control buttons as well but im unsure on which is which.

Also theres a brow and black cable which hes connected up to the horn on the steering wheel

Any ideas guys on what the green and yellow connector is for connected to the figure of eight cable also what the others for?

And how the original horn wired is there any kind of plugs connected to the brown and black cable to begin with as it looks as if these have been cut?

Also the traction control lights on and airbag lights on ....i know the airbag light would be on as ive left the resister out but didnt think the esp light would be on is this normal for this to be also?

Sorry know its long winded but worried now incase it been knackerd :dapprove:

Any help would be much appreciated....Thanks

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
oh dear..... that didn't work out did it lol! well on my cup (no traction) the x2 'figure of 8 cables' are the airbag ones...... the horn was red and black

CTR--VX220D
The reason why the steering is lighter - is because the diameter of the wheel has decreased thus needing more leverage to turn. Perfectly normal.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Heressome pics just worried now incase it cant be put back:S

Gonna give them a ring for them to do it tomoz hopefully if it can be put back

Attachments

• DSCN0460 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0460 (Medium).JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN0462 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0462 (Medium).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 74

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
orange and green connectors are for the airbag, the 'scabby' black and brown wires are joined to a red and black somewhere as they are not reno clours lol!!!

stop being a puff, be a man, the steering is just right lol!!! ;)

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
so hows the horn connected to the original wheel ?...is it some sort of plug?......as i think hes chopped some cables and want to fit the original wheel now.

Just hope to god i can get the reno one back on......just dont like the look of the tape over 1 of the wires :eek:

still puzzled why the the esp lights on.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
the horn, from memory is connected via a connector on the back of the steering wheel..... which then plugs into the back of the seperate airbag unit....

with my momo i had a connector that just plugged into the orignal horn connector block.

if that makes sense lol

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Ahh ok ....the wheel i had just had a a metal stalk thing which is why hes made up a cable to connect it up........Do you think it can be put back?

Also anyone have any ideas as to what the other connectors for with the tape on?

Thanks mate

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
other connectors must be cruise, as i dont have them on the cup lol

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
ok thanks mate........dont know why i botherd now......just hoping it can be put back.

How are these connected up?.....is this part of the wiring loom...so if it was knackerd would i need a completely new 1 do you think...sorry no idea on this sorta thing.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
should be ok, when i do anything like this, i cut the original plugs off, but leave an inch of cabe on the plug end so it can always be joined back up. just take it back and see what they say.

should be ok imo

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
just had a look also the service lights on aswell as the ESP and airbag...why would this be from just replacing a steering wheel?

You've got an ABS light as you've gone and knocked the wheel sensor out of allignment Cups don't have it hence Gt_gaz had no trouble. This is the same why ESP is on.
Serv light is on since the ABS and ESP systems have resistered a problem with the stearing sensor and it needs to be fixed.

Some of the swicthes are for crusie control.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Just posted in the other thread edde....do you have any idea if this is an easy straight forward fix at all?

As im hopefully getting the standard wheel fitted back on tommorow...so if i can tell him what the problem is hopefully will be more straightforward.....Also do you have any ideas on the horn it looks as though hes cut the wires....ive only taken the front of the wheel off to see what hes done just want to get it back to standard now.

Any info would be much appreciated..Thanks alot

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
timsclio172 said:
not sure about the problems but do you want to sell the wheel?

Meant to be getting the original one put back on so when i do probably yes

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Also if worse comes to worse and cant get the original 1 back working due to the cut off of the cables....what do you think im looking at to get it repaird.....would it mean a whole new wiring loom or is it just a connector behind the wheel with all the wires attached .etc

Thanks

J273 said:
Also if worse comes to worse and cant get the original 1 back working due to the cut off of the cables....what do you think im looking at to get it repaird.....would it mean a whole new wiring loom or is it just a connector behind the wheel with all the wires attached .etc
Juts get the wires soldered up its not difficult. If the looms been realy cut short then you can still strip the dash top off and trace the wires back further and add in extra wiring.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Ahhh ok dont sound tooo bad.....also you know that it could be the wheel sensor is this an easy fix at all?

And one other thing.....are the connectors available at all from renault as im unsire ontil tommorow if hes chucked the plugs off the end that hes cut off.....i think he may of cut of the connector for the horn....and the other figure of eight cable thats taped up in the pic (which i take is the cruise control).

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
got the standard wheel fitted back on today....but the guy told me who did it he'd had to cut the plug off the end of the airbag because he couldnt get it through the hole of the boss....i asked him if he'd got the plug but said he'd chucked it.:mad:

So im gonna have to see if i could get one off a salvage and make a cable up.

The other problem ive still got is the ESP light and service light are still on ive pressed the esp switch on the bottom right of the dash but does nothing......is there any way of clearing the faults on the system ?......do you think that would work?

or does anyone have any idea on the sensor for the steering column?...that could be causing the problems

Do you think renault would fix this problem?...and resolder wires back on .etc...or would they charge for everything under the sun.

Any help would be great

Thanks alot

Last edited:

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Just been out in the car.....the ABS light also comes on when i start moving forwards or backwards but as soon as i stop the light goes out.....this is pretty confusing could all this happen just from changing a steering wheel?

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
yea bit gutted actually wish id never botherd.....do you think its fixable fred

or would yu say a whole new loom is needed?

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
if i unplug the battery will this clear the faults logged on the ECU posssibly making the lights go out?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
doubt it chap, worth a try though...

shounds like its been fitted by a rough spanner monkey to me

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
hmmm yea.....think ill have to take it to reno.....dont mind paying whatever it costs to fix....do you think they'll touch it with it being tamperd with?

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
true mate.....Ill have to give them a ring tommorow...thanks guys

Hopefully wont be tooo much

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Just a thought....would this be a whole new Wire loom......or are the wires connected to the steering wheel connected seperately ....if you get what i mean:S

Lionel Richie
no its just a new airbag loom bit, not too hard, as i say i think i might have a spare somewhere

if you're near birmingham i don't mind having a look at it for you

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
That would be great......Im in burton on trent mate. but to be honest i dont really fancy driving it to birmingham just incase it catches alight or somthing after seeing some of the wireing whats been done dont really trust it at the minute

Last edited:
  CTR--VX220D
Stone to be exact - so a nice country road to drive to get there from Burton A515 ;)

I cant see how the ESP and ABS light is showing - maybe he has damaged some other wires nearby.

Personally I would blame the garage who fitted it for you because in retrospect he HAS damaged your car.... Get him to sort it or threaten legal action.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Yea mate would blame the garage but they didnt really want to do it and did it for a favour...but i wish he would of told me if he'd have to cut wires:mad:

Think (hope) ive got someone to have a look today for me but he said if the plugs been cut off he cant do anything so im unsire if hed be able to or not make somthing up:S

@Fred do you think youve got an airbag loom at all matey?....if so ill have it off ya if you can find it ill pay whatever u want for it just name the price.

Does the airbag loom contain the other wires for cruise control/horn .etc .etc or is it just a wire for the airbag:S

Thanks

Jamie

i am sorry you have been through this mate sound slike the garage have done a right f**k up mate i had my momo evo wheel fitted on monday and it is superb in every way better improvement that the standard one with no lights on etc etc or any glitches it seems the garage have buggered it for you hope you get it sorted

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Yea think they have mate....bit gutted...think ill leave mine standard for now though...maybe alter it later once i got it fixed .

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Just been reading through some old posts......do you thin the ABS /Service /Esp light culd be on because the ESP fuse as blown?

Seems strange the Abs light only comes on when the cars moving forwards or backwards:S

What do you guys think?

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Took it to an autoelectrical place and got it sorted now(ish)...The airbag works now and the ABS lights out as its been on a computer.

But the problem i got is the ESP lights still on and Service light but this time only comes on every now and then and goes off.

The guy told me who did it said that theres a sort of ring sensor for the ESP behind the wheel that must of been taken out....Anyone know if this is true or not?

Thanks

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
J273 said:
Took it to an autoelectrical place and got it sorted now(ish)...The airbag works now and the ABS lights out as its been on a computer.

But the problem i got is the ESP lights still on and Service light but this time only comes on every now and then and goes off.

The guy told me who did it said that theres a sort of ring sensor for the ESP behind the wheel that must of been taken out....Anyone know if this is true or not?

Thanks

Anyone have any ideas on this:S....he told me its a ring sensor behind the steering wheel that tells the car which way the wheels are facing and is also used to cover the cables so that the cables inside dont tangled

Anyone know if this is rite?

Thanks