ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.8 16v cliosport conversion

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
MAJOR DEVELOPMENT!
SHE'S A RUNNER!
After 2 weeks away being decoded we got our ecu back. We connected up the ecu and fuel lines, turned the key,
heard the fuel pump run, pulled the fuel line off the rail to check we'd connected them correctly, got covered in fuel, checked the feed to the coil, ok...

...tentatively with fire extenguisher in hand turned her over, and she started first turn! ABSOLUTLY AMAIZING!

This is the video of the first time we turned the key to cranking since the start of the project (I promise)

th_06092007001.jpg

The only reason I'm saying turn it off was because we were running it without any water and we don't want any screw ups!

Once running we manage to wire in the rev counter which took some work to do neatly.

06092007160.jpg

06092007161.jpg

Still a lot to do but encouraging to be making good progress once again after a week or so of waiting around and achieving very little

RenaultSport 172.
where did u manage to pick up rev counter good work m8

Looks like their using the standard one...valver clocks.

as i said before, good work lads...good to see progress being made =]

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

Looks like their using the standard one...valver clocks.

as i said before, good work lads...good to see progress being made =]

i think he means where did they manage to pick up the signal for the rev counter (iirc waynes rev counter doesnt work) not where they actually got the rev counter from :)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Pm'd you Wayne and if anyone else needs to know just give us a shout and i'll explain. Patrick most the parts used are standard phase 1 172 parts that includes gearbox engine mounts etc.

Cheers

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
More developments!
After a day in the garden we've got a bit more done.
We've piped the cooling system up using an adaptor from demon tweeks.

08092007186.jpg

And once we'd done the clips up it was water tight! :eek:
Then next job was to get the alternator charging (eagle eyed may have noticed on the cluster photo!), so we ran an ignition feed to it which took a surprisingly long time to do neatly as the 172 alternator only has 1 wire!
We've put the front wheels on it (though we must remember to buy and fit some brake pads soon)
Then we tested the gearbox and clutch by gently driving the car back and forward and all is good!
Now all is left is to bleed up the cooling system, get the temp gauge working, fit the non pas steering column (we've got one, just haven't fitted it), fit some pads and tidy up here and there, but for the sake of the neighbours we need to get an exhaust sorted first!

08092007187.jpg

08092007189.jpg

08092007191.jpg

Once all thats done it'll be time to take it all back out again!

Last edited:
  F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
looking very good mate :D :clap:

what do you mean take it all out again?? you are joking right?

i seem to be collecting parts and removing stuff but not actually putting anything back on it lol

few weeks and it will be time to start rebuilding tho, cant wait :D

oh and have you got any pics of the rad brackets? thinking of using the 172 rad and want to see what you've done

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
No, no we're not kidding it is all coming back out as this is just a dry build then it's being taken back to a rolling shell, sound deadening removed from the floor, Roll cage in and new (sunroofless) Roofskin and a full repaint in white at my work.

Rad brackets wise I'll pm you the Diagram we drew to make it from

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
FURTHER PROGRESS REPORT!
Sorry for the lack of posts, I've not been about much.
We've managed to get some money together to further the project.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/241049.htm

We finally got our ass's in gear, fitted the column, ordered and fitted some brake pads and removed the old valver back box.
Now with some money in our pockets we contacted powerflow and booked it in to have an exhaust made for it.
So yesterday we started her up, drove her onto the back of a mate’s recovery truck (setting off a couple of car alarms) and shipped her off to powerflow.
Good sign that it can move under its own power, although we did realise we haven't wired up the reverse lights yet!

19092007222.jpg

Got the car back this afternoon with exhaust fitted and all is very encouraging! Its loud, but not too bad, we've bled the cooling system up and all the gauges seem to work!
Only problem we've got is it starts and runs fine until it gets hot, then it starts to rev itself up on its own at idle. It revs up fine and everything, its just an idle problem. Only thing I can think at the moment is the lambda sensor plug got pulled apart when we stripped the old car and I'm not sure if the wires are in the plug in the correct order.
Has anyone else had a problem like this with a 172 who could shed some light?
Thanks fir looking, we'll keep you informed on anymore progress.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Cheers mate, progress slowed significantly over the last couple of weeks as we had some issues with lambda wiring but thanks to the forum we're on track again now. Also as you know I’ve been on a big old buy up with some cobra buckets, an omp roll cage, fibre glass tailgate, quickshift, possibly carbon fibre bonnet and a few bits to sort out some long standing issues with the car. I'm also working hard at getting a carbon fibre roof skin made up and seriously considering fibre glass doors.:approve:

I'll post some more pictures when there's something new worth seeing

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Gone for a 6 point weld in with door bars. Don't know if anyones interested but if I sort this roof skin i'll be able to supply more at £500 each if all goes to plan and i use the carbon fibre company i've been chatting with. Costly but think of the weight reduction from ditching the sunroof and steel skin!

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
hello m8 u managed to get that rev counter reading acuratly yet lol i dont think there would much gain in carbon roof skin over non sunroof skin would there ?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
FINALLY, SOME PROGRESS WORTH TAKING PICTURES OF.
We spent most of last weekend stripping the entire interior (although that didn't seem to take all that long), but were unable to remove the dash due to a slight running problem we still need to sort.

06102007226.jpg

06102007227.jpg

06102007232.jpg

With the interior out we've located a multitude of aftermaket alarms, none of which still work but certainly need removing.

06102007231.jpg

Next thing to do was fit the quickshift make sure that was all ok

06102007228.jpg

Now, this weekend, after a week of organising we rented a van and somewhere within the 500 miles we did we managed to pick up a roof severed at the pillars from a scrap clio, a carbon fibre bonnet, a pair of seats, a weld in FIA rollcage and also drop the roof off at the carbon fibre specailist to be moulded etc.

13102007258.jpg

13102007260.jpg

14102007261.jpg

14102007267.jpg

14102007265.jpg

14102007263.jpg

Now just a case of knuckling down and removing the dash and sound deadening then get the cage and seats mounted.

We'll keep you lot posted:D

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
hell...look forward to seeing this...

am seriously emotional about mark 1's, i know i now own a mark 2 but imo the mark 1's are still far superior

Golf GTi Mk2
Good work team, its starting to get to the exciting end of the build now, any news on when your roofskin will be finished?