ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio 172 Cup track/race build.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Where did you get the rad and fans from , I'm after one of them , cars looking great
Cheers Ian

Mr Swede has decided against PAS I think so not an issue

Saxo or DCI setup FTW Mark if you want to run a bigger rad :)

P.S Morgan I have found that alternator bracket and it’s just gone to the powder coaters this morning so let me know if you still need an image and i’ll send one over :)

Clio 2 cup racer
I think he already has one ;)

Very nice project. Only thing missing is a cup racer subfame and engine mounts ;)

Cup In bits
Looking good, when are you planning to have it running?

How did you get that rad in there with the PAS pipe?

Looking at mine the pipe where it comes out of the pump would foul the radiator.

I didn't try it mark tbh, although I could 95% say it wouldn't work. Iceman could maybe help as I don't think he ran a saxo pump to begin with when he got the large rad. As Ash has said I plan to not run P/S to start with then if I don't like it I have Iceman's old saxo pump setup.

The rad comes very close to the cup lower bracket with the p/s pump removed, I have a pick showing it further back. I planned to trim it back a bit but decided on another setup for my alternator.

Mr Swede has decided against PAS I think so not an issue

Saxo or DCI setup FTW Mark if you want to run a bigger rad :)

P.S Morgan I have found that alternator bracket and it’s just gone to the powder coaters this morning so let me know if you still need an image and i’ll send one over :)

Yeah send it over please Ash, just to compare now really. I have managed to find a cup racer alternator setup now, I got fed up of looking for the right Volvo bracket to suit.

I think he already has one ;)

Very nice project. Only thing missing is a cup racer subfame and engine mounts ;)

Thanks Martijn, true salesman.

As much as I would love one & the box to sit in it, I don't see much gain for the expense of the subframe but If I damage mine I'll consider.

Clio 2 cup racer
;)

The subframe has mountingpoints welded in for the cup enginemounts.

Only the rear is not a direct fit to a JC5 gearbox, but it's an easy fix though, only need to flex the 2 spacers out and you'll have cup enginemounts.

0.0 comfort though with these mounts. if you ever consider, send me an email :)

Cup In bits
Been a while since I updated this and its not a great update tbh, some more parts arrived and they are all building up ready to go on.

With a short time at home this trip, I cant see much being done on the car unfortunately with the freezing weather. Beer and boarding take over at this time of the year. I have decided to fit works style sill tubes for rally stands so I still have some more welding to be done on the chassis before the interior gets painted. I also received some tech flex overbraid from america for my wiring loom, well impressed with the stuff, gives the loom a quality look and doesn't rub through wires like conduit.

With Iceman breaking his car I decided to bite the bullet and buy some nice parts from Mark that I wasn't planning on having untill later in the development of the clio, I just cant refuse a bargain. This car has grown arm's & leg's from my initial spec and I just need to stop spending and get the car together now and enjoy.

Gripper'd box with lower FD

P1000658_zps50c57328.jpg

P1000656_zps8ad20b98.jpg

When I fit the box later on after im bored of it spinning wheels out of corners, I will fit this.

Slightly worried about the heat spots on the flywheel as there quite bad, I hope it hasn't tempered the metal too much???? Ill get the face skimmed just to freshen before fitting.

P1000655_zpse5ecc108.jpg

P1000654_zps3f5978c4.jpg

After a few peoples words of warning about running no P/S I thought I would get another option in place if im not keen on the non assisted steering.

P1000653_zps4625851a.jpg

Got a hold of a cup racer alternator setup from Martijn to give me some more room with the the alloy radiator. Looks to be a cup alternator and top bracket the racer's used but I still have to compare to my cup setup, hopefully they are a match as I'll keep the new alternator as a spare.

P1000651_zpsc6def311.jpg

After breaking my cheap rivet nut tool, it only lasted about 5 rivet nuts before going wrong. I went for a memfast set which should last me all my days and the mandrell's are only high tensile socket cap bolts so easily sourced if worn or broken.

P1000652_zpsb1688c65.jpg

I will hopefully get my sill tubes done before new year and the car can go for its interior to be painted while im away. Then I have no hold backs or reasons to not get the car complete in feb:clap:.

Famous last word's.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Cheapo rivnut tools seem to be a common pita just now, James mentioned the Memfast kit too, does it turn the cap head bolt in the rivnut to draw it in?
I try to avoid rivnuts if I can but some things there's no alternative, they usually work ok for a while but always find vibration gets to them eventually.

Flywheel looks like it's seen a fair bit of heat, was that from Icemans car too? Just reminded me this is something else I need to buy :(

Cup In bits
Its one of those tools that there really isn't a cheap alternative. Yeah just relies on the bolt to pull it in, there's bearings inside to assist. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it will be good for the tighter spots and seem's well built with good reviews. Yeah I have used cheap aluminium rivnuts in the past and they just react with the bolts and lock solid, im going to use steel or stainless to avoid this hopefully.

Yup flywheels from Iceman as well, scarily thin where its got heat spots. Must have been having a good old bit of clutch slip on his. I still have to check if its compatible with a paddle cover tbh as there a fair bit stiffer than normal I have been told and it just seem's paper thin. Mark said it was a k-tec jobbie.

Cup In bits
Cheers im hoping it is Stephen, it's a bit too lardy compared to some that are entering S&S next year though :(

Cup In bits
I did a group buy on trackscotland for my ARDS with four other guys so they are going to be out in something, one of them has a Fiesta with zetec and the other has a reported 250bhp+ 205, unsure of what the others will have. There has been a lot of talk with the class secretary about it from others and it seems there is a few guys interested switching from track days in integra's, civic's, clio's and the likes. Class will be quite restricted much like tintops with no aero mods, same family engine swaps, 1b tyres etc.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Thats good news though, be good to see some more stuff like that at knockhill, hopefully it'll gather some momentum, never know, I might even have a crack at it once I get mine finished ;)

Need to get the air saw and the hole cutters out!
I'm still finding wee bits I could have chopped off or drilled out but now that it's all painted I'm not going to mess it up for the sake of a few grams. Will just need to get more creative on the other bits that haven't been painted or powder coated yet!

Cup In bits
Yeah it's looking quite promising for the saloon's this year at KH with a few new classes. A 2.0 n/a class's was a big hole they were missing IMO so should encourage more average cars and not 2000bhp cosies, evo's etc.

Im still at a stage where I can chop little bits here and there but it doesn't warrant the work for me with a few KG's saved. I could loose more by not eating properly for a week :quiet:

Fibreglass boot, bonnet, doors and poly windows is how I will lighten my car. Tbh with adding cage, seat rails, sill tubes, axle/wishbones strengtheners I'm not sure how light my car will be. I always seem to be adding to it. High 800's wet and I would be happy.

Cup In bits
Time for a bit of an update, nothing exciting but a few more goodies arrived. The car hasn't been worked on for nearly 3 months I realised after looking back at this thread :S. With moving lock up and having less space and the rubbish winter not much has got done..... so no more excuses. February is going to see some progress!! First of all im going to have it painted in a gun metal grey inside, wired up and start the engine by mid march (work/holiday permitting) April will consist of getting poly windows and fibreglass panels painted and fitted. May will be suspension set up and get it out for a test and that will leave me with a choice of 5 races to do in the SMRC which I hope to get 2 in or maybe 1 at KH and one away in tintops depending on my rota.

Random...Found this while looking through some packages I have. Who sends you sweets with car parts lmao.

P1000659_zps4674c85b.gif

New bolt on quick release boss that I can't decide whether to use my OMP weld on or this and one of the most grudged pieces I have bought so far. Seals it grommet at the insane sum of £23......

P1000668_zps5cbd06e1.jpg

Anyone with a nice colour of Gun metal/Anthracite paint that will hide dirt and scratches well then let me know.

Cup In bits
Well finally some progress has been made, interior stripped out tonight with all the panels off. I managed to get my first bit of sponsorship so the interior is getting done in graphite grey (Honda colour) in return for some stickers on the car and paint at cost price.

That will be done in time for me being home in 2 weeks hopefully and then the sprayers having 2 sets of wheels, one black and one grey and the boot, bonnet and doors to get sprayed as well.

I have said it about four times now but should have the engine running by months end and then on with all the little bits n bobs.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Nice one, bit of sponsorship always helps, bodyshops are always a handy one to have!

Do you have fibreglass doors too? cant remember now

Cup In bits
Good work on the sponsorship!

Need to see if I can get some free sh*t from somewhere.

I had been offered some discount on parts before for stickers on the car (Easy one to negoiate) but for the small amount saved I would rather leave some panel space for bigger sponsors.

Nice one, bit of sponsorship always helps, bodyshops are always a handy one to have!

Yeah that's it, bonus he is 2 hops and a skip from my lock up too.

Do you have fibreglass doors too? cant remember now

No fiberglass, just getting the inside done in grey when the guts are cut out. We need a group buy going for doors this year.

Cup In bits
Update time.

Not much has happened on the car itself but I'm getting closer to racing all the time in the background.

I put a deposit down on a trailer tonight after finding something in my price range that wasn't at the other end of the country. I just missed out on a BJ A-max last week with high level tyre rack and jerry can box so was gutted but this will do the job fine untill I add on some extra's.

$(KGrHqR,!hoFERZlKGlGBRGqHjz!yg~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqV,!oEFEGe)Dqk(BRGqH,2Kng~~60_57.jpg

I will hopefully pick that up next Tuesday when I go down to Knockhill to set my ARDS test, that will save me a journey while I am down in the area.
I will also have my 2nd Renaultsport Clio soon, I put a deposit down on a cheap 172 cup that I can use for a few trackday's this summer until my car is up and running and then pass it onto my mum as her current Clo is getting quite leggy for a 1.2 16v at 150,000 miles. It need's a few bits n pieces but has a good base by the sounds of it with the belts being done recently and look's a tidy enough from the pics.

IMG_1118a-vi.jpg

IMG_1120a-vi.jpg

There has been some work ongoing on the car but nothing to warrant an update by itself, bought a few more pieces to complete the puzzle, just small little bits that you overlook and end up costing more than major components. I am still waiting on the interior to get sprayed but can't complain for the price I will pay when it's done.

So I received my arch roller finally after returning home from my trip.

P1000677_zps869718b6.jpg

What I started with.

P1000682_zpsfcb0bfce.jpg

During.

P1000675_zps9756a002.jpg

After.

P1000686_zps8c5c4e2a.jpg

P1000684_zps3b3655b7.jpg

P1000680_zpsf375bcad.jpg

I gained around 15mm at some points and its hard to see from the pics but the swage line is almost gone and the arches are quite flared.

I then mocked up with some washer's to give me an idea of what size spacer and camber I will get away with. Im going to have some 30mm axle spacers made up with 1.5 degree so that should total around 2.2 degrees when complete.

Few pics of what it will look like when the spacers are fitted. Looks pretty mean :cool:

P1000673_zps87dc7ce6.jpg

P1000672_zpse8f2b134.jpg

P1000674_zps45ef94a7.jpg

172 cup, Impreza P1
The arch roller looks the business. With 30mm spacers and with your wheel offset you will have gained about 40mm track on the rear if my calculations are correct. That must be one of the widest rear tracks in a clio. Good on you for going that extreme. I have the spacers cut, just need them machined with the camber now but that shouldn't take too long.

Good luck on your ARDS test!

Good stuff!! 30mm in total or 30mm each side? Most I could get was 15mm each side with ET 35 wheels - with 195 (fronts are 205) and used the same roller you bought. Remember to cut the inside of your rear bumper away as it will rub for sure - only need to take away the lip and leave it flat, I went past the first retaining screw hole too.

Trailer looks good, though unless your tow vehicle is a truck (high sided) etc having a high level tire rack would increase the effort required to pull with a std estate\car. Get a low level one if you tow with a car. I tow horse trailers and get 25 -30 MPG and 35-40 MPG when towing the Cup. I'm looking at\for a low level tire rack now for sure.

Cup In bits
The arch roller looks the business. With 30mm spacers and with your wheel offset you will have gained about 40mm track on the rear if my calculations are correct. That must be one of the widest rear tracks in a clio. Good on you for going that extreme. I have the spacers cut, just need them machined with the camber now but that shouldn't take too long.

Good luck on your ARDS test!

Yeah your right, should be around 40mm wider than a 172 cup with turinis. That's perfect, I have PM'd you about spacers again Steven, changed my mind.

Cheers, I think ill need it. I have till to start studying the flags but I have seen enough motor racing that it shouldn't be a problem.

Good stuff!! 30mm in total or 30mm each side? Most I could get was 15mm each side with ET 35 wheels - with 195 (fronts are 205) and used the same roller you bought. Remember to cut the inside of your rear bumper away as it will rub for sure - only need to take away the lip and leave it flat, I went past the first retaining screw hole too.

Trailer looks good, though unless your tow vehicle is a truck (high sided) etc having a high level tire rack would increase the effort required to pull with a std estate\car. Get a low level one if you tow with a car. I tow horse trailers and get 25 -30 MPG and 35-40 MPG when towing the Cup. I'm looking at\for a low level tire rack now for sure.

Thanks, yeah 30mm a side Pete and that's with the equivalent of 205's in slicks used. I think that's with around 2.5 degrees camber maybe a little more. Yours will only be 17mm in thinner in total with your wheels and spacers. Tbh I haven't even tried the bumper on yet :S .....but with my suspension being so hard ill be lucky to see 30mm deflection in the rear shocks so I can afford to run things close.
Off I go to the lock up to check the bumper lol.

Yeah I'll bare that in mind, i would rather have the flexibility of towing with anything and keeping the mpg down. What tow barge are you using? quite good mpg. The only thing that might stop me from having a low level would be length as I will fit a jerry can box come time but until the car is on I won't know.

Any tips for my ARDS other than learn my flags and common sense?

Last edited:
  TrackCar & F30 330d
Yours turned out a LOT better than mine did a few weeks back. Have you made any modifications to the rear bumper bracket? I think my slicks rubbed on it so i cut them a bit.

Cup In bits
Yours turned out a LOT better than mine did a few weeks back. Have you made any modifications to the rear bumper bracket? I think my slicks rubbed on it so i cut them a bit.

Yeah I took my time, about 3 hours in total to do it. I just played with axle heights and kept it hot with a heat gun and never got any kinks or paint crack, only one little bit inside that had already lifted. I then dollied in the front edges and the horizontal bumper join line to clear as you can see in the last picture it sticks out (that's pic was before I flattened it to the panel) It's a bit of a pita ain't it, my tool is slightly too long for a Clio I would say but done a nice job in the end

Tow with a Passat tdi 140 estate - with a well-balanced trailer little to no weight on the tow hitch its a well easy tow. I can un hitch and not have to use the jockey wheel if I've taken time fiddling, whether this is a recommended tow practice I don't know.... with more weight on the hitch it's a slow old thing and eats fuel....

Common sense and RTFQ's!!! as they can be arse about face.

Cup In bits
Yeah the tow bars I have looked at are rated to around 100kg which I thought was funny but supposedly that's right as your not meant to have much weight on the bar itself.

RTFQ's....sorry?

Lionel Richie
my written test took about 20min, we spent most of the time laughing about how stupid some of the questions were! The driving bit took 2 laps

Cup In bits
Sounds good, few hours max then. Does your flag descriptions have to be word for word or is it at the lecturers discretion if there right ?

Couple of hours all together, mostly just sitting about though.

We all did the test together - think they gave us 20 minutes, but that is loads of time.

Then we sat about while the instructors took us out. I think the driving was 5 laps with him telling me what to do and then 5 laps of me showing him I could drive a car round a track in a reasonably competent manner.

They advised us to only drive at 70% effort. Spin is a fail. They want to see good observations and basic understanding of racing lines etc. Told us not to bother trail braking or anything fancy.

Cup In bits
Cheers Mark, I have been advised a few times now to leave out the hero driving, hope there's no snow now.

Cup In bits
Yeah I hope that doesn't happen. They use 279bhp Leon FR's at KH with uprated suspension and big brakes so I still want to have some fun :p.

One guy failed when I did mine. He was the one who after the "only give it 70% briefing" said "can we race if we want to though". Turned out he'd never driven on track before and didn't have a clu lol.