ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio 172 Cup track/race build.

Cup In bits
Yeah chuffed its done finally, biggest mistake was saying to the painter do it when you get a chance, here's 3 months or so later. It willprobably need new wheel bearings and suspension bushes now, Its done about 50 miles being shunted about his workshop lol.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Looking good!

I've often wondered if I should have done the inside of mine that sort of colour but I'm too far gone now to even consider changing it, will just have to put it down to hindsight!

Cup In bits
Cheers lads

Kenny its one of my favourite colours anyway but all the factory/race team built cars you see typically have this colour, I guess it hides dirt and scratches well while still being a dark colour ( anti glare)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yeah it probably is a good trade off between the two. Hopefully the black up the inside of the A-pillars and the dash will be enough to minimise most of the glare on mine.

Whats first on the list when you get home then?

Cup In bits
Aye you should be fine.

First of all get my other car ready for a track day Sunday then make space in my lock up for this start of the week. Trial fit FG doors bonnet and boot then have them painted too. Measure up for driveshafts and order them, fire extinguisher and poly windows. Pare down the oem loom and fit with race loom with battery and cut offs etc. Begin the rebuild internally first then fluids, bleed brakes and cooling. Geo then tweak back axle to suit, mapping and a swap of tyres....dada racing car haha.

Sounds simple but I know it won't be.

Cup In bits
Just finalising the deal on these nice bits of kit

0099A80A-B6B9-4435-A20B-0CE77E5DD5FE-280-0000001B5E873BC0_zps8115df48.jpg

05A6132D-B7D7-4A58-BCDA-03D20EDE2A1F-280-0000001B5C3B59B9_zps99ef3d8a.jpg

Doing a shopping list for brake lines, can't decide between keeping cup valve or going for a proportioning valve, any other people other than those I have spoke to with previous experience of fitting bias valves to a Clio, let me know your experience please.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Not telling :rasp:

They should be about £250 but I'm trying to get them re-made so the passengers slopes towards the tunnel. They are made for a LHD car. Nice bits though and I think I can get this guy to do anything carbon for good money.

Cup In bits
I'll let you know when I'm certain they work ;)

Yeah I have found a few now, more like the s1600 cars though which are like a copy of the floor but in carbon, I actually saw one with an indent for a makita impact gun that I thought was cool but £450 a side is pricey. I just need something to take up the space that removing the carpets lost and to pass all my wires and piping under on the passenger side. It was going to be chequer plate but I can't refuse carbon at that price.

Heres something in the similar price range but unsure if the dimensions suit

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=290664337979&index=11&nav=WATCHING&nid=25754505550

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'll let you know when I'm certain they work ;)

Yeah I have found a few now, more like the s1600 cars though which are like a copy of the floor but in carbon, I actually saw one with an indent for a makita impact gun that I thought was cool but £450 a side is pricey. I just need something to take up the space that removing the carpets lost and to pass all my wires and piping under on the passenger side. It was going to be chequer plate but I can't refuse carbon at that price.

Yeah I'd be interested mate. I just use grip tape on the floor pan at the minute tbh, but the passenger side could do with some form of a foot rest for the passenger. I run my wiring down the n/s sill. Main loom on the top part and battery cable on the side. Never been knocked by any passengers either.

Cup In bits
Yeah it's just for neater install instead of running everything down the sides of the passenger seat, I have battery cables, brake pipes, fuel lines, extinguisher pipes and wiring, interior loom all to run so could get busy.

Do you not find the pedals a stretch from the floor? I do with size 11 boats... that reminds me that I have to bend the accelerator pedal on my road car for heel n toe, have you played with pedal configuration? I am going to fit bigger pedals for this car to aid pedalling it.

182cup & 172 racecar
£250 !! That's almost an entry fee.

​Why don't you just get a pedal box if you really want to keep messing around with brakes.

Cup In bits
£250 !! That's almost an entry fee.

​Why don't you just get a pedal box if you really want to keep messing around with brakes.

I know I know, sadly my money can't be spent on entry fee's yet as the car isn't ready, come finishing time then all this spending will stop and be used for fuel, instruction and entry fee's.

Pedal box is a no go for me due to how far it would bring them back, cage would need to move back in order for the seat to move back. I just want to bend the accelerator pedal up a bit and swivel it round closer to the brake, bigger pedals wouldn't go a miss either. About £30 in parts versus a peddle box.

Can you heel n toe cleanly with the standard setup? I certainly can't tbh.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Do you not find the pedals a stretch from the floor? I do with size 11 boats... that reminds me that I have to bend the accelerator pedal on my road car for heel n toe, have you played with pedal configuration? I am going to fit bigger pedals for this car to aid pedalling it.

Tbh mate, no I don't find it a stretch and I've got size 7-8 dwarf feet! Lol! Heel n toe is a pita on the standard setup I find as well. I altered the position of the accelerator pedal and I've made a larger pedal plate to put on it as well but not got round to fitting it just yet.

Cup In bits
Arrived home to a few parts for the completion of the car, I can't think of anything else to buy bar little odds and ends, poly windows, windscreen and get all the FG parts painted.

Carbon floors are on there way now.

Epas column and box of tricks on its way.

DE937204-D66C-412E-9284-3E5F32DB8D65-1299-0000017E27A827DC_zps7ee85afa.jpg

Most of the brake line fittings came, just waiting on the hose, t-piece and tilton lever valve.

5FFE8F03-7D45-4584-919F-56C7095DD5E8-1299-0000017E0A9DACE7_zps6e1d1236.jpg

I went for an electric release 4l extinguisher an also a 2l, got a good price on both and a few have advised a hand held now to save using your plumbed system when the worst happens.

D7A261AE-1931-466F-814D-79A30226FABA-1299-0000017E339A4786_zps3403eba9.jpg

Progress to start mid next week hopefully, I would like it started in two weeks time but I will spend far too much time messing with tidying looms and placing everything I expect.

Cup In bits
Nothing great tbh, I have been at home a grand total of 6 days since the beginning of April so not had the chance to do any work on it. I did manage to make some space and get it back from the painters 4 weeks ago.

36D68A57-886E-40A3-94F6-9E4323D26EB8-7838-0000055E8AF94ADB_zps384877e1.jpg

I have at home now the proprtioning valve, carbon floors, GRP doors and the door cards should arrive very soon so pretty much everything needed to complete it. I just need to stop playing with my other one and try to stay away from track days otherwise it will never get done. Home tomorrow so some progress should be made next week.

Ph1 daily & ph2 race
Awesome. I'm in same situation, car has been at cage person and painters for 8weeks. So just waiting for its return to crack on. Although I'm still waiting on ast to get my dampers to me. About 8 weeks overdue

Cup In bits
Couldn't resist a test fit picture of my lovely new floors, they fit well around the pedals which I was worried about.

B331511F-9EDB-46AE-A0A1-8C88FD442200-6547-000005FAF9ECC17D_zps03fccc0e.jpg

D8A684BC-3837-444B-8253-6BC3F849E0E3-6547-000005FAFF9B5C9A_zps65fc4437.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d
Those CF bits do look great. I'm so glad I finished mine as driving it is a million times better than faffing around with it. I suppose you do have a second cup to keep you happy!

you should come and do anglesey on the 27th of may. Quite a few clios going I believe

Cup In bits
Yeah I would definitely buy more from them.

I wish mine was complete but between work and waiting for it to be painted I haven't had a chance to do anything to it the last 3 or so months, I have had all the parts pretty much since before that so not a case of faffing its just time unfortunately. The second cup has become more of a hindrance now to this project with it being track season, progress will be made on this though now its back at my unit.

Cup In bits
Just noticed the last part of your post, I won't manage down to Anglesey as much as I would like to, thats a good 10 hour drive down for me, I would need my own tow car and some time booked off work to make that work out. Next year is going to be a good one and I'm sure I'll see you out on track or at a race somewhere.

Cup In bits
Operation steal from the rich and give to the poorly started today.

Started like this at 3:30

P1000636.jpg

And had this at 4:30 where I had to stop to go and collect the gripper'd box, lightened fly wheel and plate clutch that wasn't planned to go in until I got familiar with the car. I have since done that with the other Cup on track days so its going full spec straight away.

9AC36786-DF56-4EE3-8680-EF2EA9613EA6-2719-0000030EA5FF5B43_zps96b9c2b2.jpg

1hrs not bad, the joys of not having hydraulic PAS and aircon. Working on this reminded how much time and money I have spent and what a good job I was doing up untill the massive lul in building it and i'm going to get much more pro active with the build and get it going ASAP.

Cup In bits
Only two months between updates this time, its getting better again.

I managed to clear up my lock up which makes it easier to so work do I thought I'd crack on. Put it up on the stands and it won't be coming down until it's going.

5F156008-8FDC-4EF8-A725-454B4720DB07-1814-000001A624D9E002_zpsee336dcb.jpg

I test fitted the original loom to refresh my memory.

B21386E1-CA1E-44A9-ACA4-0388018885BB-1814-000001A63E9497AA_zps3259895d.jpg

Wrapped the cage to stop scratching, fitted the heater box/matrix/blower motor and dash to try work out where everything will go.

8D3641DD-EBF1-4BC9-9302-D85ADB94B00F-1814-000001A62AD94AA3_zpsbc50d8a4.jpg

Paired down the interior loom (sore head) Still needs some more taking out and re wrapped.

4EBF4BBB-072D-49F7-A418-5944CAED2310-1814-000001A631254A09_zpsea94088f.jpg

Started toying with the placement of extinguisher/cut off/battery to give the best weight balance and allow me to route the braided fuel and brake lines neatly.

FD41B599-84D9-40EE-BFB2-C32BB6917F7A-1814-000001A6385DEE71_zps4819f502.jpg

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Few pics for those with ITB's that are interested in what I have done to breather plate and thermostat housing. I have seen better welding but it will do with a grind and paint.

P1000588.jpg

P1000591.jpg

P1000586.jpg

P1000585.jpg

I had some pins welded to the bottom of the rad to use standard mounts.

P1000589.jpg

P1000590.jpg

Where can you get the rubber mounts from.? Mine are missing.

182cup & 172 racecar
Renault, about £4 each, or somebody whos breaking a car.

I put a cable tie down through mine, so they don't disappear.

Cup In bits
As Tony said, standard rad mounts.

James has a good way of fixing it, long rod on the rad that goes through the mount, repair washer on the underneath and then an r-clip to hold It together.

Cup In bits
Nothing worthy of an update yet.

I did manage to get a complete Raychem car loom with military spec bulkhead connectors and an EFI ecu so there has been a slight change in spec, the loom looks after everything from dash, starting, charging, lights, battery cut off etc all controlled by one ecu.

I just received the above back from Ole Buhl Racing this week after having a full check over so the paired down oem loom will be removed when I get home mid December from Saudi and some progress should be made in my month off hopefully if the festivities don't take over.

The championship calendar has been released for the SMRC S&S and Super Lap Scotland with the first events being on 6th and the 20th of April respectively so I hope to have the car and myself race ready for then and its just down to whether I am at home, here's is an event every month up until October so I'll definitely be out there and hopefully a trip down south too.

Cup In bits
Yeah Donnington, Brands gp, Oulton, Brands Indy and Croft are my plans and in that order too preferably, I will just have to take what dates I can get though just now in my current line of work.

Clio 172 Cup
Give me a shout with the ones you're doing Morgan, i'll hopefully get the clio out to a few of the french trophy rounds next year.

Cup In bits
Will do Liam, we will organise at least one to go down too. I'll book holidays to make certain.

That would be handy Fraser as my mates are bone idol, they'll come to watch but not want to get dirty. Thankfully all the races are alongside the Mini's so have some help if the needed from them too.