ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone run their car with no exhaust?!

Caterham 1400 Supersport
....I can certainly advice not to! :clown: It is bloody LOUD!

My 172 started to blow a bit this morning on the way to a client, 40 miles later this was a definate loud rasp. On the way home doing about 80 on the dual carriageway, it became a full on roar, followed by that unmistakeable scrape of metal on tarmac :eek:

I pulled over to find the joint going into the backbox had parted company, leaving the backbox held on only by the rubbers. I cut these off and stuck the backbox in the boot.

The rest of the drive home was a combination of embarrasment and sheer childish fun. Off throttle it boomed in the cabin badly, part throttle was okish, but full throttle became race car loud! :D :S

I have the car booked into KTEC on Tuesday (ported manifold, ECU, stealth exhaust, 36k service), until then I have no choice but to limp around with the exhaust as it is.

If I get the chance I will video it, although the volume maybe too much for my microphone to take!

Evo4, MITO, 172 TTV6
Sounds great I know but you dont really want to do loads of miles without an exhaust. Didnt you realise a lack of power?? oooh, please get a vid up :D

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
i drove my mk1 clio 1.4 with the exhaust disconnected at the cat! :D Drag racing clio! the sound is unbelievable. better than any KTEC exhaust! lmao

clio 200 F4Rt
started a saxo once without a mnaifold on it, sounded like a cross between a tractor and a spitfire!!

awesome!!

Caterham 1400 Supersport
ajketley said:
Sounds great I know but you dont really want to do loads of miles without an exhaust. Didnt you realise a lack of power?? oooh, please get a vid up :D

Yes, a definate lack of power, and it isn't as smooth as normal either. God knows what the neighbours are going to say when I leave at 7.30am on Saturday and Sunday mornings! :eek:

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
Drove my old 1.4 fiesta for a while when it fell off, twas great fun!!! Kept on revving it loads n just being a general prat! everyone kept looking round as i came up the road lol.... Sounded like a beast, but indeed was a big pile of poo lol!

Oh i miss that car now :dapprove: :dapprove: :dapprove:

Audi S3 225
same happened to me, sounded like a rally car, i dove around like that for a few weeks while trying to get olf od an exhaust, very embarrising especially in work carpark!

Clio 172 mk2
On one of my old Renault 5s the exhaust came off at the engine....was really very loud and so, so undrivable

LOL

im currently driving around with the same problem. once you hit 5k rpm, it sounds ace, but it does drone a bit lower down. i swear its getting louder too.

magnex is getting fitted saturday though :D even though i have to drive 100miles or so to pick it up,lol

when i had my exhaust system built, i had loads of problems which i wont go into, but one of which was the down pipe came away from the manifold, now thats LOUD, lol

2003 Clio 172
I heard a Westfield SEight 3.5 running a Rover V8 with the manifolds off once......

I think i did let a bit of pee out that time

THAT................that was LOUD!

:)

lol, nah it doesnt Mike :p i'd say sounds more like those mental tractor pulling beasts that just have the upright headers spitting flame coming straight off the head.

My exhaust also done the same thing, only this morning at 3:30 AM. I was on my to work on call out, and the same thing happened. the exhaust was hanging on by the rubber, i had no toosll so i had to wake up our lass to fetch me tools, so there i an at about 3:50 this morning, lying in the pissing down with rain trying to get some poxy 10mm bolt off the exhaust with my freezing hands, and then i had to go to work!!

anyway

can anyone suggest a website that i can purchase a new back box from? and how much am i looking for one??

any help would be great!
cheers

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
LOL drove home in my old FIAT Panda - when th exhaust broke. Was like a chevvy V8. lol.

Ah Fishy Dave, I'm Jim hoad's mate from the Coupe forum. You took me round Bedford on the trackday - so impressed I went and got a 182 cup!! Hope you're well mate. Hoady's coupe's now kicking out something like 300lb/ft!!!

--- on the same note, had a golf Mk1 1.1N many moons ago, got so miffed with its crapness I kicked the zorst off in a fit of rage - NASCAR sound, fooked banger performance lol

al

ST on the way...
jinjur said:
I heard a Westfield SEight 3.5 running a Rover V8 with the manifolds off once......

I think i did let a bit of pee out that time

THAT................that was LOUD!

:)

"bit of pee out" VVLOL! :D

Exhaust once fell of my old R5 at the front pipe, was only at bottom of our street but sounded ace driving up! Like a big block chevvy!

mk1 phase 3
lol, my mate had a D reg fiesta and it was such a piece of s**t he kicked the exhaust off! it was soooo loud! was funny though!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
If you take the exhaust of a honda moped it makes it sound like a hotrod....does nothing to improve your streetcred though !. ;-) its still a moped, but with a broken exhaust.

106 GTi
Drove my 309 GTi about 15 miles to get an new exhaust fitted when the centre section fell off from the down pipe back. Needed ear plugs, my misses at the time sat there the whole time covering her ears!

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
hmm well i think someone tried to nick my exhaust was driving along and it started to get louder and louder. pulled over and the bolts fixing the decat to the centre silencer were missing WTF!!!!!!! we as you can guess i got pulled by the old bill on my way home :D

well she is now at RENTECH getting some TLC and an mot