ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi S3, mk1 TT, R26 ex/owners

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
If I was buying now I’d buy over 100k miles, knowing I wanted the b8 and eibach kit, the above brake/power mods and then just enjoy. £3/4K on the car and then go from there.
I must admit, Sarah's had her TT225 since 2008 and taken it from 60k to 135k and i'd have it in a heartbeat. Probably as ive maintained it, but in the grand scheme of things, its a brilliant car, not the most exciting, but f*ck me, id have saved thousands upon thousands upon thousands of £££'s on fixing sh1t cars if id simply bought an S3 when she bought her TT 😂

As a daily, for me S3 over R26, as a trackcar/funcar, probably the R26, but my god they dont have look half :poo:
That rear end just upsets my eyes. As does the build quality.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Thats the thing mate,it would be a daily driver & the S3 seems to be winning me over for this & that they look so good just bit lowred with a nice set of alloys.
Hmmm...TT that could be a shout to

@Sir_Dave

Thats the thing mate,it would be a daily driver & the S3 seems to be winning me over for this & that they look so good just bit lowred with a nice set of alloys.
Hmmm...TT that could be a shout to

@Sir_Dave
Less space and about .1 second quicker in all gears... although the 3.2V6 does interest me as a cheap second car a lot of the time.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Less space and about .1 second quicker in all gears... although the 3.2V6 does interest me as a cheap second car a lot of the time.

Im not worried about performance figures tho & i know the Back seats can be set to a level flat positon so make more space

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
D6E05724-A7E7-4359-A7B3-1CC1A1397192.jpeg
A250EC80-BF7C-4C71-9DAC-43A5B40321C7.jpeg
0EBBCE7B-86C7-4C82-A609-05AEA6BBD799.jpeg

It's more the height/slope of the rear of the TT that would make me not buy one as my only car. My daily Golf is quite incredible in terms of how much you can fit in and that's the same layout as the S3. And I prefer the looks but that's a personal thing I know.
I think the fact you bought a hot hatch rather than a coupe/lower sports car would make me show you the way to the S3 over the TT. But appreciate needs change.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah nothing wrong with my cup at all,i just keep thinking of moving on & gettting something else and i go away a few times a year & days out,also its a daily so thinking more comfort now days but still sporty.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Same. I think of getting something else. But then people are mongs and decide to save the hassle and keep mine.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'm thinking the same as you mate. Next year I want something a bit bigger, more comfortable but still punchy and fun to drive when I want. The reality is, my daily commute isn't the Nurburgring like some people make out on here, but I love going on the back roads to work and having a smile on my face.

I'm definitely going 225/R26.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I'm thinking the same as you mate. Next year I want something a bit bigger, more comfortable but still punchy and fun to drive when I want. The reality is, my daily commute isn't the Nurburgring like some people make out on here, but I love going on the back roads to work and having a smile on my face.

I'm definitely going 225/R26.

High five to that mate ✋.

Sounds like you have the same thoughts as me.
Have to let each other know how things get on.

225 i take that means TT?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
High five to that mate ✋.

Sounds like you have the same thoughts as me.
Have to let each other know how things get on.

225 i take that means TT?

Definitely.

Nah, Megane 225. I really want an R26 but unsure whether my budget will stretch that far and none of the colours, other than LY really appeal to me. I know people say about the awkward rear but I really like them with the R spoilwr. And I know people say they're not as fun as a Clio but I'm sure I'll smile when I put my foot down and that's all that matters.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Im sure there just as fun with the turbo spooling & waste gate noise.
End of the day like you said its not a race track with drive to on everyday of the week & how hard are you going to drive it on the road!.

Haha im the opps with colour,i like the black,silver ones @leeds2592

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Im sure there just as fun with the turbo spooling & waste gate noise.
End of the day like you said its not a race track with drive to on everyday of the week & how hard are you going to drive it on the road!.

Haha im the opps with colour,i like the black,silver ones @leeds2592

People make out that you need a R26.R to get you too and from work and everything is substandard and boring haha.

I like black but had a black A3 before my 182 and it looked amazing for the first 5 mins after cleaning it. Silver is a bit meh. Now if they had made an Inferno R26, I'd be all over that. I will probably go for a Inferno meg if I can find a good one when I'm ready.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
only had a quick look. The Audi I like, but it will be an older car (than the r) and probably way more miles.

The only thing with your budget it would need to be closer to £5k. Imo.

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I've been thinking the same,
Always had turbo cars until my ph1.
I'm not keen on the 225/r26.
So my plans have changed and bought myself a 197 cup last week, I also have the meg 225 engine and box, and a whole load of other bits including a ttv lightweight flywheel and r26r clutch.
So more comfort and turbo charged all still in a clio.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
A cheap r26 doesn’t really fill me with confidence. Factoring repair costs it can add up.

Monaco 172
I love my Megane, I managed to get quite a good deal but I have never felt I've needed the LSD day to day, it grips really well as it is out the box.

I'd personally go for a well sorted 225 with some tasteful mods.

I picked this up well under £4k with full history and just needing the belts done as the guy lost the receipt for it but that was admittedly factored into the price (the full leather recaros were what sold it!)

IMG_20170819_182506.jpg

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Not sure on what other options i have really with the money from the cup plus some savings.
Loans, credit cards, robbing post offices.. still got both kidneys ?

If you are going to take another year to save (as per the 5k post above) another grand - is it a good idea to get a more expensive car ?! What happens when you need a pair of tyres or something... Obvs. I don't know your financial status.. maybe you've got your sums wrong.

@Rob used to move up quite sensibly, I'm sure he wont mind me saying - but used to generally use old car sale as cash and put the other half on a 0% card / loan etc. As long as you're sensible and don't bankrupt yourself over it.. you've always got an asset sat on the drive if it all goes wrong.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but what about the later a3? The 3.2 is a good option for that budget. And they're much better to drive than the older s3 imo. The mk5 golf platform is a much better starting point.

182BG
I had an S3 8P, not sure how similar it is to the older S3 in regards to driving. But it was a great car, reliable and fast. Good for munching the miles.
But as stated before, it gets boring quite quickly, so I tuned it, ran over 350bhp....and still got bored.
Mainly because most of my driving was short trips down country lanes.

I also had a LY R26, wow what a car. Always put a smile on my face when driving it. And not bad on long trips. Although no where near as refined as my S3.
But christ was it unreliable, spent a fortune on it. Spent most of the time being fixed.

Great car when it worked, but never again.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I never really use or go on country back roads & the main thing is the bloody state of our british roads!.instead of looking for cars,im always looking at the road for any pot holes etc

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Got to say tho,after looking at other car forums as you do when thinking of getting a different car.The Cliosport.net site is far by the best looking and to use tho!!