ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auto Car - 197 road test

Turbos.
Still a lot of positive points though

"It’s a minor triumph for Renault and Renaultsport. The Clio 197 is, in nearly every respect, an exquisitely judged hot hatch – tasteful, quick, agile and grippy – and, at £15,995, undoubtedly fine value"

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
*cough* 200kg heavier
*cough* based on micra
*cough* looks lard arsed

I'm only a little bit jealous. Just because its the new model and I want those recaros. I'm not gonna buy one though.

it's not based on micra, they share the same platform (mainly developed by Renault), it's totally different!

GW RS200
From what they said, I'd guess that with another 20bhp or some serious lightening (cup?), this would be a really great car. Still don't like it's looks though - too soft, too high, too lardy... When it's that big, those 17's look like they belong on a shopping trolley!

S.

if the full fat 197 has such a positive write up, one can only imagine how good the cup and the Trophy will be!

Much much better than the TG preview. However both are quoting manufacturers performance stats., which every magazine managed to massively improve upon in real tests.

I's obviously has shorter lower ratios so should be interesting to see what it can realy do.

Blaze

R

rich[182]

excellent review, theres much more to the 197 than just looking at the +200kgs and power to weight ratio argument that forever crops up

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Sine said:
it's not based on micra, they share the same platform (mainly developed by Renault), it's totally different!

Erm yeah it is. Looks just like one. Same platform = based on the same car.

172 cup TT
rich172 said:
excellent review, theres much more to the 197 than just looking at the +200kgs and power to weight ratio argument that forever crops up

it crops up because its a big factor.... in my eyes power / weight will be one of the main factors when choosing my next car - my cup(172) has made me realise this... i dont mind the 197 but it really is the weight of the thing thats put me off... would love it if they released a circa 1050kg 197...
For just a 15brake (approx) increase (on 182) it doesnt justify the 31odd stone weight increase!!... just think what your car feels like when you ever pick your drunkern bird up with 2 of her mates in the back :)