ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Barnett's ph2 odyssey first car

Arctic 182FF
Hi, re-doing my progress thread as i messed up the title of the last one. So this is my 1.2 16v dynamique when I first got it home back in February.
2012-02-26_16-50-00_103.jpg

My plans were originally to just add a few little touches as I didn't want to have a car that was identical to thousands of others but due to insurance i couldn't really get any 'proper mods'. So i got some silvervision indicator bulbs to start with, along with some xenon bulbs, clear side repeaters and some eyebrows that you can barely tell are even there. Also sprayed the alloys and the front badge.
2012-05-24_15-25-49_829.jpg2012-05-24_15-26-00_151.jpg2012-03-26_16-46-24_769.jpeg

Months went by and I realised that since my excess for my insurance was £1300 and i only got it for £1500, there was no point in me ever making a claim on my car so decided to get some decent mods. Managed to get an RS Grill on the cheap from a fellow cliosport member and i got a set of FK LED rear lights which i'm still undecided on, opinions please.
2012-07-07_20-53-41_135.jpg2012-07-23_13-35-34_26.jpg

Since I was mainly just trying to keep it looking clean I painted over the rusted up drums in black, decided against painting the callipers for the time being.
2012-07-22_15-35-10_989.jpg

Then on Saturday I won a set of 172 alloys on ebay. Picked them up yesterday and fitted them today, they aren't in as good condition as I thought they were but i guess that's what you get when you buy something before actually seeing it in person. Curbed all over and some paint bubbling on one of the wheels. Nevertheless, fitted them today and here's how it looks now.
2012-07-23_13-32-39_869.jpg2012-07-23_13-32-53_39.jpg2012-07-23_13-35-46_613.jpg

Now it desperately needs lowering, I'm after some 40mm springs but I could barely afford the alloys so it'll have to stay like that for now.

Future plans include:
Lowering springs ASAP!!
Stubby aerial (ordered)
Spray the rear badges black or spray them all anthracite
Colour coding
Xenon projector headlights if i can get some or just new headlights because these are all scratched and faded, i tried refurbing them myself but to little avail
Possibly skoda splitter

Any other suggestions? Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 2012-02-26_16-50-00_103.jpg
    2012-02-26_16-50-00_103.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 162
  Arctic 182FF
Oh and a few questions concerning my future plans. I was going to colour code the side strips myself so was wondering what to use when sanding down? I'm going to sound thick as sh*t here but my knowledge of the real world is very limited, can i just use like normal sandpaper or what is it i need to use when spraying?
Secondly, how difficult is it to remove the rear badges? (the "clio" and the rear diamond) how do i get them off for spraying? Thanks

Hi mate, I like the fk rear lights :) and in answer to your questions:

When sanding down your sidestrips, use 600 wet and dry paper, then move in to 800 and finally 1200 so the scratches are very fine. Then use plastic primer and give them 3 or 4 coats of spray paint when the primers dry. Leave them to dry and harden for a day or two before fitting.

To get to both rear badges you need to open the boot and remove the plastic trim. It is held on with several clips around the edge and a torque screw near the handle. You will be able to see the back of the Clio badge as it is held on with two pins. Push these out with a flat head screwdriver. To get to the diamond you will need to unscrew three nuts which holds on the boot handle. When you take this off you will need to push out the diamond with a small screwdriver as it has been bonded on. There are about 4 points, one on each edge.

Hope this helps mate, I think there's a few detailed pictures on my thread of this when I'm taking the back wiper off :)
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?613699-MY-CLIO-1-6-PROJECT

Arctic 182FF
Thanks a lot mate! That's really helpful I'll be looking to do the colour coding and badges soon :) Do you happen to know how to get the door handles off for colour coding or is that a bit of a job? I have very limited knowledge and i'm not exactly a handyman but I would like to learn how to do all this stuff for the future. Thanks again

Arctic 182FF
Looking for opinions on the centre diamond colour on the alloys, i previously had them odyssey blue (same as the car) as i'm not really a big fan of chrome. I put 1 chrome on and 1 blue on. Which looks better do we think? Thanks
2012-07-23_17-55-53_528.jpg

No worries pal, I'm not really sure how to take the door handles off as I haven't done that myself. As for the wheel diamonds, stick to blue, makes it stand out a bit more :)

Arctic 182FF
Took your advice and put the blue diamonds back on Danman.
Fitted stubby aerial today too, will get pics up tomorrow.
With spraying the diamonds do you need to sand them down? I just have a black cover over the front one of mine, didn't actually spray it, but planning on spraying them all tomorrow.

Ahh nice one :) I would've thought it'd be best to mate. I've just carbon wrapped mine but if I were going to paint them: I'd flat them down, apply plastic primer, then spray paint :) what colour you going for, still black?

Arctic 182FF
Ok, what do you mean flat them down? I was thinking of changing the theme to anthracite actually. I think I would've carried on with black if i kept the black alloys but because of my rubbish spraying they looked a bit gash, plus I've always like the 172 alloys. PS your car looks great now it's lowered :)

Sorry, I just meant sand them down :p and okay cool, I think that'd look quite good against the blue :) My dad sprayed my alloys as he used to spray cars for a living. Done a really good job tbh. I wouldn't dare try it myself because my attempt at spraying my rear wiper plate failed miserably :eek:

and thanks mate :approve: quite happy with it, takes corners so much better now!

Arctic 182FF
Ah ok then :) that makes sense because they do look really well done.

I really want coilovers but I'm just so skint, I car barely afford a tenner for sanding paper and paint for the badges tomorrow :( thanks for all your advice and help :)

Arctic 182FF
Got the stubby aerial on. Also sprayed all the badges Rover Stone Grey which is basically anthracite.
2012-07-27_18-03-17_699.jpg

2012-07-27_16-55-01_868.jpg

2012-07-27_16-55-08_931.jpg

Arctic 182FF
Also in the above pictures, added a cliosport sticker to the front (REPRESENT!) and colour coded the boot release button

Arctic 182FF
Finally another update! Haven't done anything for a while since I thought I'd have to get rid of my car to go to uni but it turns out I can keep it :)
To celebrate keeping it I decided to colour code the side strips, it isn't a perfect job as I did it myself but still looks loads better.
2012-09-10_13-53-37_606.jpg

2012-09-10_13-53-50_105.jpg

2012-09-10_13-53-58_18.jpg

Also came home to a nice delivery the other day...
2012-09-10_13-56-53_669.jpg

Some 30mm lowering springs! Unfortunately my mother has forbidden me from attempting to fit these myself, but I will be getting them fitted some time this week hopefully

Arctic 182FF
Indeed it is the best colour! Not just yet, due to moving to Bristol for uni i haven't been able to get the springs fitted yet. Student loan should be coming through fairly soon though but i'm running out of ideas really, apart from big spends like coilovers/new alloys/sport bumpers. Missed out on a 172 rear bumper on ebay the other day which i was a bit gutted about. I would like to colour code the rest but after almost losing the will to live during sanding down the side strips i'm a little put off haha.
Suggestions welcomed!

Monaco 172
Aero wipers are a great investment!
also really like those rear lights btw, were they expensive?

Arctic 182FF
By the way Jossman, yours looks quality now it's nice and low. Get some silvervisions though! I'd also suggest RS grill and colour coding the side strips. But you don't really follow the crowd, which is a good thing!

Arctic 182FF
Aero wipers are a great investment!
also really like those rear lights btw, were they expensive?
I was thinking about those, wasn't really sure how much difference they'd make to the look though but i will have another look into it.
Thanks, I got them for £30 because they were for a ph1. Not sure if they're still on offer but i'll have a look for you

Arctic 182FF
ohh you got lucky then!! its not something i need anyway, being a poor student sucks!
Haha I know tell me about it! Hopefully it'll start looking decent when it's sitting a bit lower. If I was going to throw loads of money at it i'd get coilovers and some gold Cades Eros alloys, colour code and get a 172 rear bumper but I don't have the money to throw that much at a 1.2, just wanted my car to be different from the thousands of other 1.2 clios you see about. Aero wipers are now on the shopping list.

Please anyone i'd love some more suggestions!

Arctic 182FF
Aero flat wipers and skoda splitter have been ordered. Will be inquiring about getting springs fitted within a few weeks

Arctic 182FF
UPDATE! Finally some more progress! Now, bear with me on this one as the wheels won't be staying like this. But I got a set of alloys off a Renault 19 16v and here they are on my car...
2012-11-19_14-28-23_109.jpg

2012-11-19_14-41-54_549.jpg

I'm not a fan of the gold either and I know these wheels will be a bit marmite but I like them, just not the colour so much. Thinking of getting them refurbed in either white or a dark, graphite grey. If anyone could do a quick photoshop for me that would be much appreciated.
Before anyone says it, yes I am currently using my car to smuggle immigrants in my wheel arches, I have family from the Ukraine and they're trying to get over here so I thought I'd help.
However, a big box of coilovery goodness arrived the other day!
2012-11-19_16-15-25_239.jpg

These will be going on mid/late december, along with some other small bits that need doing.
Rate or slate! (I realise it will most likely be slating at this point :p) Advice on what colour to go with the alloys would be cool too :) thanks

Arctic 182FF
Cliosport member LB-1 kindly did a photoshop of how I'm planning for this to look.
calvin2.jpg

Although I originally planned on having these in white I think they look pretty darn good in a dark grey. Decisions!!
Opinions please!

Arctic 182FF
This was the sort of thing I had in mind with regards the white wheels... (picture stolen from twiztid)
dreamCalvin.jpg

TT QS
Cliosport member LB-1 kindly did a photoshop of how I'm planning for this to look.
calvin2.jpg

Although I originally planned on having these in white I think they look pretty darn good in a dark grey. Decisions!!
Opinions please!

Not a fan of the gold. That looks really good. Do it

Bentley
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Looks great.These is no comparison of Barnett Auto Spares. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Barnett Auto Spares [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]supplies all used parts for all automobiles, cars, trucks and bakkies. From engines to headlamps. All parts have a one month guarante[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]e[/FONT][/FONT].

Arctic 182FF
Not a fan of the gold. That looks really good. Do it
I know, neither am I to be honest. Thanks, I do really like the look of that but I'm still undecided about the colour because I wanted it to be a bit more different and I thought the white would accomplish that.
Prefer the anthracite wheels tbh. Will look awesome with the coilovers on as well :D
There's no denying that it looks goo in that photoshop :p Coilovers will hopefully be going on this Sunday.

Odyssey should have silver alloys IMO
I think it would look a bit plain with silver alloys personally. However, I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice

Wheels will be staying that horrible gold for the time being until I get the funds for refurbishment (Christmas money :p)

Arctic 182FF
Just put some 16mm spacers on the back this afternoon. Wheels sit nicely far out in the arches, with the offset of the wheels combined with the spacers it's now around 26mm spaced on each side.
Before:
2012-11-21_14-29-12_484.jpg

After:
2012-11-21_15-58-16_368.jpg

From the back:
2012-11-21_15-58-29_849.jpg

Hopefully once lowered this weekend my car will finally start shaping up and looking good! (apart from gash coloured alloys :eek:)

I'm on the hunt for a set of 16mm spacers with extended bolts for the front if anyone has any?

Arctic 182FF
Got these on mine. Came very fast. Doubt you'll get some off here much cheaper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hubcentri...heels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item416b41e59e

Thanks, I had seen those and they're on my watch list ;) I was hoping to get another used set for a bit cheaper though tbh, we'll see what funds become available from Christmas.
After getting coilovers fitted I might leave it until January and see what I can afford to throw around when the next batch of student loan/grant kicks in. If I had loads spare I'd love a 172 rear bumper and then colour code spoiler and front bumper inserts. Then it'd be perfect in my eyes really.

Arctic 182FF
Thanks for the advice, I'm still debating at the moment, just looking forward to getting the coilovers on this sunday (fingers crossed) at the moment :)
Started a new thread in the media section to ask people's opinions on colour.

Will do another update once coilovers are on :)

Last edited:
  TT QS
Thanks, I had seen those and they're on my watch list ;) I was hoping to get another used set for a bit cheaper though tbh, we'll see what funds become available from Christmas.
After getting coilovers fitted I might leave it until January and see what I can afford to throw around when the next batch of student loan/grant kicks in. If I had loads spare I'd love a 172 rear bumper and then colour code spoiler and front bumper inserts. Then it'd be perfect in my eyes really.

Student loan went in one go on stuff for the car once. Miss those days haha