ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best android phone currently?

Well my contract has finally ended and Im on sim only with my nexus 4.

Now I dont know why but as ive had this ages Im tempted get something new. I like the S4 but this is getting on a bit now. Well, its not but been out a while. Funnily enough ran benchmark tests for graffics against a mates S4 and the nexus beat it. It did smash it in all other areas though..lol

Whats the Sony Xperia Z1 like?

Or do I wait for the Nexus 5?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I quite fancied the Note3 but just buying a new SLR has put the lid on the coffin of that idea. TBH the Galaxy S4 is still pretty much where it's at but the Z1 is an awesome device to (Sister in-law has one) so it really comes down to what interface you prefer - Samsung Touchwiz Vs Sony Z UI

EDIT: HTC One is also an amazeballs device

S4 (UK version) and the HTC One both have a Snapdragon 600 lurking under the bonet. The S4's is clocked slightly higher but during your day it's very unlikely you'll be able to slow either of them down.
The Note 3 (UK version again) has a Snapdragon 800. To buy one this early in the game you're looking at £650 which is mad in my opinion for a communication device. The contract prices are no better. Unless you don't care. :)

If you're on something of a budget the S4 Mini is nothing to be snuffed at, got about 20% more grunt than an S3 (which I have) and looks very pretty.

I like the Sony handsets a lot actually, they always seem well thought-out and the interface is usually quite clean but their 'flagship' phone never seems to be the flagship for very long before they stop giving a s**t it's replaced by something else. Look how long it took them to release the Xperia T after the S. That's the only thing that puts me off Sony.

I flog phones for a living... For now.

Personally I go for the phone based on speed and how many clever people will support it on XDA Developers. I don't give a s**t how it looks.
I'm with Mick on this one. Go with the one that ticks all the boxes. After all, you have to live with this thing and hope the manufacturer supports it for 2 years.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Not really no but I loved my Note2 until I broke it and replaced it with an S4 (because the Note3 wasn't out but wasn't that far off either). I'll have one but not right away as £649 for a phone is nuts to me to (£890 if you want the ghey watch to).

The Note 2 fitted into my pockets comfortably but Chip always used to say it was because my **** wasn't very big lol

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Nexus 4. Nothing compares to vanilla/GPE Android. I replaced my S3 LTE for it a couple of weeks ago and haven't regretted it once. I'd personally wait for the Nexus 5 though.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Personally i HATE Vanilla Android... the need for a home screen loader just to get simple things like alerts for new messages annoys me.

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
I use an HTC one x+ and love it, after years of iPhones I changed, HTC has been brilliant. Their initial customer service not great though and they don't keep stock of any new handsets as replacements, only refurbs. I needed a replacement for my Mrs who brakes phones for a living, argued for 2 weeks and ended up with a brand new boxed handset from a third party retailer but it was a long and arduous task to get sorted and not something they have a protocol for.
I like S4 but hate that the UK doesn't get the 8 core version

After going in to the shops and looking about this weekend. I am going to wait and take a look at the Nexus 5..

I took the plunge and got the LG G2 this weekend. My god is this device amazing, the battery life is on a completely different level.

nexus 5 will be based on this. some specs leaked today show its going to be epic!

Decided to go for the G2 route mainly for the battery. The Nexus 5 is going to be 2300ma instead of 3000ma, worse camera & smaller screen. I love my Nexus 4 but in the end got sick of it being a "nearly" there phone. It looks like the Nexus 5 will be the same.

Rav4
That is a shame if a smaller battery.

Certainly up for a nice phone.

It'll be my first serious Android phone, so trying to decide on the Nexus 5 vs HTC sense, but seems the LG and the new Sony are both rather good. What is the LG Android version like?

Yaris Hybrid
My Note 3 arrived today. I went for the sim free version as I managed to get myself out of the contract treadmill a few years back.

It is very nice, can't say it is worth the extra over say the cost of a new Note 2 but I guess that is the early-ish adopter premium. They have already come down a lot. Selling my Note 2 to my old man to recoup some of the costs. It feels like a small evolution of my Note 2, only a tiny step forward with small improvements here and there but no big selling points really over my Note 2. I really enjoyed the past year with the Note 2 though so a slight improvement on what I already felt was near perfect is a good thing.

I did like the look of the Xperia Ultra? I could handle a bigger phone than the Note and the Xperia Ultra fitted the bill but I decided against it as stuff like the camera appeared to be a bit weak and they had skimped on RAM.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The Note 3 has got a much better screen though hasn't it?

I will have one but not until after my wedding.

Changed my mind on my favourite Android now. Picked up an LG G2 and its fantastic.

Loses out to the Xperia Z1 in build quality but I prefer it in every other aspect.

Battery life in particular is great.

Good also to see that despite a heavier UI, the latest processors still have power to spare

clio sport f1 r27
Had the Xperia z1 for a week so far and love it, First ever droid phone and went from an iPhone 4S though

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I had a play with the Xperia Z1 the other day and it looks a very good phone. The camera (as with most Sony offerings is superb) My missus has an Xperia S and she loves it. I'm just not overly keen on the Sony interface, although I could flash it.

I'll be looking properly around Xmas as much contract is up in January.

At the moments, it's between the Z1,the LG and the new Nexus when that's out although the leaked specs aren't really what i was hoping for.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The thing that always puts me off Sony devices is that as soon as a new flagship device comes out Sony drops updates and eventually support for your now tier 2 device.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I really hope the nexus 5 does have a soft touch finish like it appears to have in the photos! Guess we haven't got that much longer to wait now.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I really hope the nexus 5 does have a soft touch finish like it appears to have in the photos! Guess we haven't got that much longer to wait now.

Its identical to the (new) 7's coating.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Its identical to the (new) 7's coating.

I've not actually seen the new 7!

Humn....might have to go have a look at one somewhere this weekend.

I liked the old 7 coating because it felt better to hold than glass or metal (personal preference).

Rav4
I think I will get the Nexus 5 for sure.

My colleague has just got the HTC one. Should be delivered today hopefully.

LY 182
I'm making the jump from iOS to Android with the Nexus 5. Still balling with an iPhone 4 so in desperate need of an upgrade. Want to stay SIM only though so buying outright. Think the Nexus 5 will be near enough half the price than the iPhone 5s so happy to give Android a crack.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm making the jump from iOS to Android with the Nexus 5. Still balling with an iPhone 4 so in desperate need of an upgrade. Want to stay SIM only though so buying outright. Think the Nexus 5 will be near enough half the price than the iPhone 5s so happy to give Android a crack.

You will find some things frustrating and others better at first... well, I did (and still do sometimes) but on the whole Android is much better than iOS. All apps just seem to integrate better especially the imaging, messaging and social media Apps.

That being said I absolutely hate the vanilla Android experience as simple things (like having a notification that says 'x' new/unread messages) aren't there without purchasing a home screen loader. They're not much but to me it should just be this way rather than going via the general notification interface so chose Samsungs Touchwiz although the HTC's and Sony's offerings look smart to.

Rav4
I think I will get the Nexus 5 for sure.

My colleague has just got the HTC one. Should be delivered today hopefully.

HTC one order cancelled by colleague and will be getting a Nexus 5 instead.

Personally, looking forward to this.

Some of the rumours really do vary for instance 8mp or 13mp camera.

Battery sizes different depending on storage version.

Thanks,

G.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
From what I've read, they are sacrificing the camera on the N5, again! Also, will only get the smaller battery, not the one that's currently on the LG.
There was a spec list leaked a few weeks ago, I'll see if can find it.

Last edited: