ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best android phone currently?

LY 182
Can you elaborate on the battery and how bad it is?

It really won't be a problem for me as I'm never from from a computer but I'm still curious to know how bad is bad.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The "One" is better than the "One X" but if you're going to be Spotify'n and watching movies all the time off mains you will crucify any battery.

Daveski often jokes about his One X using more power than his car does fuel/oil

But the processor in the N5 is far more battery friendly as hopefully 4.4 will be.

I've got the LG G2- same processor but 3000mah battery and it lasts way beyond a day even with lots of use. 2300 will be fine for at least a day.

The ONLY thing that attracts me to the N5 is the screen. I'm going to wait and see what Samsung bring out next although I may be waiting a while.

Rav4
But the processor in the N5 is far more battery friendly as hopefully 4.4 will be.

I've got the LG G2- same processor but 3000mah battery and it lasts way beyond a day even with lots of use. 2300 will be fine for at least a day.

How are you finding the G2?

Are the buttons on the back weird or is it good?

Also, as the screen goes nearly to the edge, does that cause any issues with interaction? As in accidentally selecting things?

2014 Focus Titanium
I have a One X+ and the battery is pretty much the same as my GS3, good for one day with quite a bit of use.

How are you finding the G2?

Are the buttons on the back weird or is it good?

Also, as the screen goes nearly to the edge, does that cause any issues with interaction? As in accidentally selecting things?

Buttons on the back are great now I'm used to it and the screen hasn't caused any issues this far with accidental hits.

Its got a really heavy skin on it and lots of LG baggage but still is the fastest Android I've owned - although sometimes returning to the home screen can still lag a fraction. If the N5 is based on this with the normal light vanilla Android rom them it'll fly!

Rav4
Buttons on the back are great now I'm used to it and the screen hasn't caused any issues this far with accidental hits.

Its got a really heavy skin on it and lots of LG baggage but still is the fastest Android I've owned - although sometimes returning to the home screen can still lag a fraction. If the N5 is based on this with the normal light vanilla Android rom them it'll fly!

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

Let's see if the N5 comes out today :)

Absolutely LOVING my G2.

My Nexus used to die before I went to bed, 3 hours screen on time (If I was on Wifi) and that was with all sorts of battery savings tweaks.

Currently on 39% battery. 29 hours 45 minutes of use. 4 hours 10 minutes screen on time, including an hour or so of Spotify streaming without any screen on. 6 hours 50 minutes on current usage. This phone is a BEAST!

Rav4
Absolutely LOVING my G2.

My Nexus used to die before I went to bed, 3 hours screen on time (If I was on Wifi) and that was with all sorts of battery savings tweaks.

Currently on 39% battery. 29 hours 45 minutes of use. 4 hours 10 minutes screen on time, including an hour or so of Spotify streaming without any screen on. 6 hours 50 minutes on current usage. This phone is a BEAST!

FFS, I am wanting to get the Nexus 5, but if the G2 is a beast as you say, I would prefer that! What is their android version like compared to when you had a nexus?

FFS, I am wanting to get the Nexus 5, but if the G2 is a beast as you say, I would prefer that! What is their android version like compared to when you had a nexus?

4.2.2, LG skin isn't too bad tbh - tons of bloated crap on it, but there are plenty of roms that get rid of it all. Knock knock is a a REALLY nice feature to turn on the screen (just tap it twice), every device I pick up now it is habit to do that.

Oh and you can put CM 10.2 Official Nightlies on it to give it the same software as the Nexus. People are getting the same battery life too, however when I tried it I didn't - I need to give it another go.

Rav4
4.2.2, LG skin isn't too bad tbh - tons of bloated crap on it, but there are plenty of roms that get rid of it all. Knock knock is a a REALLY nice feature to turn on the screen (just tap it twice), every device I pick up now it is habit to do that.

Oh and you can put CM 10.2 Official Nightlies on it to give it the same software as the Nexus. People are getting the same battery life too, however when I tried it I didn't - I need to give it another go.

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately the days of flashing ROMS and all of that, have gone past me. I just want it to work and have the features I need.

Do you think the bloated SW affects the performance of the phone, or simply just stuff you don't need?

Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately the days of flashing ROMS and all of that, have gone past me. I just want it to work and have the features I need.

Do you think the bloated SW affects the performance of the phone, or simply just stuff you don't need?

No not really, I just wasn't a fan as having an LG note app, LG clock app, LG Keyboard etc. I prefer to use 3rd party apps available through the play store and not have others taking up space screen space etc on the phone.

The worst thing about the software is that is has a menu button - Android sees this and removes the overflow menu (the 3 dots button on the top right of apps), devices should never have the menu button these days (This is a hangover from 2.3) but manufacturers still seem to always do it! However, I've edited my buttons (root required) to have the recent apps button instead, so Android provides me with the overflow menu.

I have always been Vanilla Android this, Nexus device that but I have myself on a slimmed down LG rom and it's perfect now with the changes I have done and have no desire to switch to CM 10.2 as a daily driver, that'll probably change when KitKat arrives mind.

LY 182
FFS they would release this whilst I'm on the train!

Ordered 32GB black but says won't be dispatched until 8/11 now. Well I say ordered, I'm still waiting confirmation. Guess they've been hammered!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Really trying to stop myself buying one on the grounds that I only got the Nexus 4 a few months ago. No matter how hard I try I can't make my brain forget that from selling the S3 LTE it only actually cost me £20...Hmmmmm

I'm sticking with my N4 until something I really want comes up. I cant help but feel after initial 5 minutes of using It i'd be disappointed with spending the extra money.

Seriously? You have near enough the exact same internals (and some are better), hardware wise you're getting an inferior product. Software wise - give it a month and I'll be running KitKat exactly the same as you.

Yep - I'm done with Rom Flashing though - been there with phones for too long now. Still prefer the Nexus line over all else - Vanilla Android without any messing around - Just a personal choice.

N5 is far nicer to hold than the LG too imo - the materials on the back help (an I don't want a case on the LG before that's suggested lol)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I want the new G2, looks pretty epic. But I refuse to take out another 24 month contract and only vodafone seem to offer 12 month :(.

I wish EE done 12 months. Don't really want to go on Vodafone again.

Ive just gone sim only with Giffgaff. Been with Orange/EE for 8 years now. Shame to leave but they will not do anything less than 24 months through no lack of trying..

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Ive just gone sim only with Giffgaff. Been with Orange/EE for 8 years now. Shame to leave but they will not do anything less than 24 months through no lack of trying..

Giffgaff certainly seems to be the way forward at the moment. Roll on my current contract ending.