ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BG 182 OEM+/Clubsport

Hi all,

This is my first project so expect much time wasting and a fair amount of stumbling. I have only had mediocre cars until now but as soon as I test drove the 182 I couldn't resist. Its an '04 in black with both cup packs(as far my newbie eyes can see) or has been modified to look like this. It had roughly 64K on the clock when I bought it and lets just say not the best service history(read one receipt for work just carried out by trader and a clean history and finance check). As I say, still couldn't resist and due to work I don't have much spare time and had been getting impatient to get rid of my old Mondeo.

As I bought it had some obvious flaws(and less obvious) and some existing modifications.

Modifications and set up were not dramatic:

Scorpion Stainless Exhaust - In good condition and I like the noise! Don't think its a full system though so I will possibly do that.
Clear lexus style rear lights
Possibly lowered springs but I think likely they are the stock Cup ones.
Toyo Fronts and Yokohama Rears

Some of the flaws:
hazard switch faulty
bumper support missing
small dent in side door
Nearside Xenon light failed(not when I bought it)
Engine mount(gearbox end, not too bad)
Leaking water pump
Slightly noisy dephaser pulley
No cambelt history
Steering wheel needs re-trim
Gear knob decal worn
Driver seat slightly worn
Window tint film on passenger side slightly damaged
Wheels need a slight refurb
Rear brake pads and discs need done
ABS light occasionally comes on(not when purchased)
Horn doesn't work(not when purchased)

As you can see it is a standard condition '04 Clio for one with no history. Despite this it drives a treat and constantly makes me grin like a child!

I have just had into Rentec in Edinburgh for a service and have sorted some of the small problems myself so only a few of these left out of choice.

Only have purchase photos just now but will update soon after fixing some more and giving a good clean.

Hope my progress is good and then maybe onto the track for a non-serious day and just get some good drives in the "summer".

CLIO2_zpsc52646cc.jpg

CLIO_zps55386ad0.jpg

CLIO1_zps12ac29ba.jpg

I am just aiming to make it drive as well as possible while being a reasonable daily and restore/improve everything to as new condition. OEM+++

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Welcome along, OEM+ is always a good look. Not too bothered about lexus style lights but it's your car end of day, enjoy it

A quick update with some new photos. I've now had a chance to have the car in the garage to get some work done. I have also done some of the smaller work myself and given it a relatively deep clean(rain stalled me, shock).

Also got to go for a proper drive and really enjoyed it. Overtaking has never been this satisfying and corner grip is endless. I was nowhere near the limit as it was a bit greasy but still felt very sure footed and the mechanical steering has such good feedback.

Some of the work I've done:

Fitted K+N Filter
Replaced faulty hazard light switch
Fitted aluminium foot rest plate from MAD
Replaced gear knob shift pattern plate
Replaced engine cover and got new black st/st bolts - really going to start replacing all old bolts in engine bay. They make it look horrendous in some places.
Attempted to clean exhaust tips using Autosol. It did make some progress but as you can see there is still a fair amount of staining on the bottom edge. Have to give it another go.
Began using "black in a flash" on all exterior/interior/engine bay plastics. It did make a noticeable difference but the real test is how it looks over time.
Fitted new short aerial(citreon type) instead of stock one.
Replaced number plate light as it was disgusting, made a bigger difference than I would have expected.
As mentioned I changed the clear lexus style lights to dark ones.

And had Rentec carry out:
All normal minor service items +
Replaced rear discs and pads
Replace top engine mount
Horn fixed, just loose connection
Bumper support replaced, looks much better

Still huge amounts to do, both mechanical and aesthetic. A slight knock when shifting into first so I will have new lower side engine mount fitted. Should have asked for this as it is better to have both changed at the same time IMO. Possibly change to KTEC twisted dog bone or polybush existing.
Exhaust not sitting exactly straight and knocks sometimes. Haven't checked too thoroughly but no doubt old mounts will be tired.

CAMBELT. I think I have to suck it up and get it done as I have no history on it. It does not look perished so was probably done in the last 10K ish but that not the same as knowing its been done for sure.

Renew all suspension bushes etc to give the car its as new feel back. Possibly fit KTEC alloy top mounts and strut brace although I'm not sure how much benefit the top mounts will have and you can't fit their strut without them so may go with Sparco/similar strut.

Still need to find a N/S xenon second hand to replace current as Renault quoted £450 for new parts to repair....

Hopefully confirm steering wheel replacement with Snappy. Existing one(as you can see) is a mess and the cover is getting on my nerves.

Anyway, more photos less jabber.

IMG_0194_zps0b64170d.jpg

IMG_0192_zps6facc6f5.gif

IMG_0191_zpsda325bef.gif

IMG_0189_zps67e07903.jpg

IMG_0185_zps66a211d2.jpg

IMG_0181_zps091bfa3c.jpg

IMG_0179_zps64017b18.jpg

IMG_0178_zpse12c5ce7.jpg

Hopefully more very soon!

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Good potential.

Are you from Edinburgh? Looks like it, only guessing!

Those lights will surely get me a lot of comments. I'm aiming very stealthy with occasional white parts, engine,caliper etc. so they are good for me! And I just get bored of all rear lights looking the same now. Not that I'm encouraging those clear lexus ones that came with it...

Definitely in Edinburgh! Seen a few RS's around here, not a V6 yet so I'll keep an eye out.

I did see the Renault ones after buying the dark lights but don't really like the red bottom part.

Cheers for the positive comments :)

Vectra SRi
If you want the stealthy theme, I'd buy tint film (flyeye) and wrap the standard rear lights with that. Standard Renault ones look best IMO.

A reasonable update with several photos of various bits and pieces.
  • Had the cambelt, aux belt, dephaser pulley and waterpump done due to a lack of any history and leaking water pump. Definitely runs better and makes me feel way more confident in the frenchie.
  • Received a re-trimmed steering wheel from Royal Steering Wheels, Jack was very good and communicated all aspects well. I removed and sent back mine(airbag was such a treat to remove!). So much more enjoyable driving without a horrible cover and cut off thumb grip. Only had good complements about it so far.
  • Front splitter fitted, just went for Fabia type as it really does look good in my opinion. Would be nice to go glossy but its there to take the hits.
  • Clay barred the whole car. It does take an age but was really worth it and I will need to do it again soon as the car obviously hadn't been done before
  • Gave the whole interior a good clean and began cleaning engine bay
  • "Fixed" the front n/s light. Found that no fuse was in, Rentec were not sure why but compensated the small time they had spent on it by not charging me for equivalent labour on my latest visit. Works fine now.
  • Fitted purple polybushes to dogbone. Immediate difference, no vibration and shaky gear stick now, feels much better. Also had box oil changed at the same time so I think it feels as good as these boxes ever will.
  • Fitted Pioneer perfect fit front door speakers and tweeters, custom fit Pioneers in the back. Much improved if not incredible, less door rattle and clearer sound. Very good for the price so now just for a DAB radio.
  • Got a parcel shelf, exciting! Does make the exhaust more tolerable for motorway cruising
  • Fixed gear stick gaiter with guide from here(only one screw used so I can still remove easily)
  • Fitted new exhaust mounts, no more exhaust hitting bumper!

So next up;
I am going to replace corroded rear brake lines, add braided hoses all round and upgrade fluid, front discs/pads and fluid.
Possibly sort wheels and paint but not that fussed until all mechanical issues are perfect.
Suspension; really not sure as it doesn't look in the best condition but drives fine, o/s track end not perfect but doesn't need replaced yet.

Really need some new pedals or some rubber bits to make more grippy, lethal in the wet and as I found out, immediately after being in petrol stations! So any recommendations would be awesome.

Got to go for a couple great drives from Edinburgh up to Braemar with some friends on a sunny midweek day and spent it chasing an S1 elise, Msport 1 series and keeping up with an Msport 330ci. First time to really see how the tires are and they performed very well, only nearly losing it when some mud gave me a surprise. Car kept me smiling and engaged for the whole time :)

I will get photos up soon, photobucket just isn't working now!!!!

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Looking good mate. You did kick about comely bank do you? Keep seeing a BG 182

Thought I'd do a quick update as its been a while. Really nothing major done since the last time unfortunately/fortunately.
  • Finally fitted silver visions :smile:
  • New plates, 3/4 front, probably could have got a 88/90mm one but its 84mm for now
  • Just got Michelin Alpin A4's fitted for the winter
  • New radiator
  • Front OEM Brembo pads and Brembo Max HC discs
  • New braided lines on all four corners and superbly fluid
  • Small hole in centre section of exhaust filled with putty for now, not blowing so I'm fine with that
And over the winter will be buying (hopefully) then fitting in the spring ish
  • Eibach pro springs
  • New cup dampers for all corners
  • possibly refresh all bushes that I haven't already with purple poly or standard where appropriate
  • New wheels with PS3's in the spring - possinly 2118s or turinis, maybe 15 but not sure if I like the look
  • If I can find some second hand, Recaros or similar
  • A few little bits painted inside and out for more black
  • possibly wind deflectors, not sure
  • maybe blank off washers, not sure if I can be bothered with MOT failure risk
  • Wheel spacers all round, max 15mm but maybe just 10mm
  • whiteline RARB
Thats all I can think of now. I'll add more pics tomorrow when its daylight.

Here is a few of my ECU (I think) and where it randomly started smoking just after I changed my interior lights to LEDS. They all work fine now so I don't think its related but if anyone knows what the burnt out bit is that would be great!

IMG_0385_zps889dd42b.gif

IMG_0384_zps8fdc5d5f.gif

IMG_0383_zpsa8318e3f.gif

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Shame that had to happen after the hard work of soldering in new smds, any more updates mate? [emoji2]

Still a mystery to me what it is, only thing not working is the boot LED but that was working after this happened. I only changed the easy ones; vanity, boot light etc. didn't solder new window control LEDs in or anything. Saw that in another BG thread and looked like so much work just to remove a small orange glow. Not much more to update, waiting for a decent day to get some photos of the small stuff I have got done but this Scotland in January so that might be a long way off. Took it for a wash the other day and it just gets annihilated straight away. Just trying to plan a major set of works for the spring/summer.

Here is the best photos I have lately:
IMG_0742_zps7af46e8a.gif

IMG_0745_zps824bd43c.jpg

IMG_0748_zpsdc6e139f.jpg

IMG_0751_zpse1cce54c.jpg

Last edited:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Still a mystery to me what it is, only thing not working is the boot LED but that was working after this happened. I only changed the easy ones; vanity, boot light etc. didn't solder new window control LEDs in or anything. Saw that in another BG thread and looked like so much work just to remove a small orange glow. Not much more to update, waiting for a decent day to get some photos of the small stuff I have got done but this Scotland in January so that might be a long way off. Took it for a wash the other day and it just gets annihilated straight away. Just trying to plan a major set of works for the spring/summer.

Here is the best photos I have lately:
IMG_0742_zps7af46e8a.gif

IMG_0745_zps824bd43c.jpg

IMG_0748_zpsdc6e139f.jpg

IMG_0751_zpse1cce54c.jpg
I know the feeling! I recently got a new Nilfisk power wash with snow foam gun that makes the cleaning that much easier and quicker to get done [emoji3] Fantastic steering wheel retrim, different style of stitching compared to most wheels I've seen! Hands down one of the best things to get done. I got mine retrimmed recently too by Snappy on here, went for a red ring with red stitching and perforated leather on the thumb grips and bottom section [emoji106]

I wish I could wash at my house. I have to go to Tesco and irritate everyone there by refusing to use the brush, hand wash it, then move it and dry and polish it. Never going to be great. I am going to get either a full detail or go even bigger and stage a 2/3 stage paint correction done in the spring. I really like the wheel, some people are mixed between Royal and Snappy re-trims, I just couldn't get hold of Snappy quick enough and as seen above, my old one was destroyed and had a horrible cover on it. I love the feel of it being slightly thicker than original and thought the CC buttons don't click any more they do operate easily. Easily the best £/£ modification yet.

Just a quick note, had Ryan McCallum out from washnwax.net as above, not much space for cleaning at mine. He made the interior look a lot better than I had achieved and means I just need to hose the car down every so often during the winter. Hopefully get booked into Dominion Detailing for start of April for a full 'Platinum' detail which includes 3 stage polish exterior then protection, wheels sealed, engine bay steam cleaned and interior shampooed and treated. Any parts after that on the outside i will get re-sprayed where required and hoping to have wheels re-furbished completely before the detail so they can be sealed properly after powder coating.

Also, quick note for above post- I meant that the CC buttons definitely DO work.

Very small update. Finally taken my exhaust trims off and rear bumper strip to paint black and have ordered new Eibach pro springs, cup shocks and powerflex front and rear bushes(rear axle, top shock mount, front arb and wishbone sets!).
Halfrauds high temp "metallic black" paint turned out to be a joke as it was very grey/silver so topped it with some Renault pearl black, just concerned it will metl with heat but going to be taking a photo and the "metallic black" paint back with me. Hoping the rear strip will be ok in Pearl and not stick out too bad from the BG, primer, pearl black and lacquer for that. I hate not using the BG paint but for such a small amount it isnt worth getting I think(hope). Also, going to do the fog surrounds black and maybe the bullets, though I have seen some carbon ones that look pretty stealthy.
Fitted some smoked side repeaters which I like apart from the embossed writing on them.
Also, got my summer tyres so just need them fitted, still on my Alpin 4s though in a scottish summer you'd be hard pressed to know the difference. They have proven to be great in the dry, cold and wet. Cant wait for my PS3's to go on but deciding whether to have wheels done in satin black and have them changed over at the same time.
Photos of all to follow!

So after the above post I finished my exhaust trims in non high temp pearl black with the high temp as a base which is far from ideal but not much choice. It finished ok though might redo when it inevitably melts.
After refitting the trims and the rear bumper strip in pearl black and liking how it looked I bought some more and sprayed the front two grilles and fog surrounds in pearl too. I think it looks pretty good but I'll let the photos do the talking.
Also fitted the front arb bushes and the wishbone kit. First mistake; not buying new bolts for all parts as they were so corroded. Ended up doing a scrape so challenge impression to find some to finish it which I hate. Removing the corroded wishbone bushes was a joke!! Also refitting the inner arb clamps is ridiculous, the lack of space on the passenger side is ludicrous!!! Thankfully one of my friends is pretty experienced(races Ginetta G55) and managed to get then on.
After driving the car home on some good back roads I think the bushes app make it feel fantastic. Just that little bit sharper but not uncomfortable at all.
The next thing is taking it in to Rentec to have shocks and springs fitted along with rear bush kits.
Along with this stuff I finally got my summer tyres fitted. So far the PS3's feel great. Not as good as the Alpin A4's in the wet but quieter and grippier in the dry. BUT they were not fitted on my cup wheels as I happened to be on eBay before heading to do this work and found some fairly battered turinis on eBay. Managed to get them for a decent price with tyres removed at my request. I then took them straight from courier depot to Pentland Powdercoating who did all four for £180 with tyres fitted and balanced. I went for a dark/shadow chrome and though it's maybe not everyone's cup of tea I really like it now they are fitted.
So I will upload some photos once I get it cleaned tomorrow but the only problem I have now is I have randomly started to get a bad rubbing sound from the offside rear. Jacked the back up and it seems the brake is jamming. Very strange timing as all I did was change the wheels on the back. Going to look at tomorrow again and then see what rentec say. Had new discs/pads/bearings fitted less than 3000 miles ago so a bit frustrating.

Also hit 70k!!! At just over 11 years old!

And photos!
IMG_1541_zpswd6coas8.gif

Old
IMG_1540_zps575ebxi3.jpg

New
IMG_1543_zps0u6epjnz.gif

Random missing bolt under wing!
IMG_1634_zpsgr2wwzge.jpg

Ready to go on, Thoughts on the centre caps????
IMG_1635_zpswwqdrx1e.jpg

Bah!!! ARB came off a lot easier than it went on!!!
IMG_1640_zpslifjosqs.jpg

Not the worst working location :)
IMG_1641_zpsxis1vr18.jpg

Might have forgotten this! On now though :)
IMG_1651_zpsemsaobeu.jpg

Sad car birthday photo, hopefully the next 10K will be cheaper!
IMG_1652_zpslyiishjj.jpg

Winner!!!
Love the improved grill and wheels, rain stopped the cleaning though :(

All for now, should get it back with all suspension work done tomorrow and then enjoy it for many months before buying anything else. but top mounts...

Last edited:
@BREMBO , just realised you were asking because its clear I am not working on the street. Its a friend with a barn, need to find the photo with his Ginetta G55 in the back, and integra, and M3...
Just found this mystery part not fixed on properly. Anyone have any ideas??
IMG_1700_zpsqnwglfnk.gif

Cable tied for now...

Some more photos of random bits and pieces after all the work carried out.
Cleaned the backbox slightly(exciting stuff)
IMG_1702_zpschfx7uoi.jpg

New rear axle bushes - really want to have all lower components removed and powder coated but a distant dream just now.
IMG_1699_zpsaeymqign.gif

Before the rain prevented me claying it all
IMG_1657_zpsj33fursp.gif

Shiny rear!
IMG_1693_zpshsx0slqh.gif

And at least some parts are shiny - more powder coating dreams...
IMG_1670_zpsizzxvhzz.gif

Spent a while using Autoglym trim and bumper gel on all outside plastics and wiper parts. Made a huge difference for now though it may not last that long. Didnt take long to do and makes the wipers look a lot better.
I also used this on all the interior plastics and it made them come up really nicely and this should last for a lot longer.
Also carried out the little climate control fix as it would sometimes get stuck on hot air only. Used the good thread from CS and two small cable ties and it seems sorted, so see how it holds up. Good little job to get done only hard part was it being pretty awkward.

main goals are now:
Have the creaking/odd feeling from the front sorted
NOT spend any money on the car for at least 4 months apart from upcoming MOT and then insurance
Dream of stripping down a lot and having various lower parts powder coated bright red
Dream of stripping interior then re-building with half cage, no rear seats, lowered front buckets and lots of alcantara trim.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Top work. Did you notice a difference with the rear powerflex bushes?

Also how much were they I'm planning on polybushing the whole car now.
Its a hell of a job doing those rear beam bushes. The whole rear beam needs to come off ideally as the problem is that it is really hard to remove the old mount. It really needs a press to get them out or you have to destroy the old black rubber then hack saw them off.
@joytodrive25 - did you do those bushes yourself ? how did you do them and how long did it take?

I replaced a friends rear beam earlier this week and the bolts were totally rusted to pieces, the ones in your pic look in great condition compared to the rust on other bolts in the pics. Had a lot of trouble getting the 2 mount bolts off.

Its a hell of a job doing those rear beam bushes. The whole rear beam needs to come off ideally as the problem is that it is really hard to remove the old mount. It really needs a press to get them out or you have to destroy the old black rubber then hack saw them off.
@joytodrive25 - did you do those bushes yourself ? how did you do them and how long did it take?

I replaced a friends rear beam earlier this week and the bolts were totally rusted to pieces, the ones in your pic look in great condition compared to the rust on other bolts in the pics. Had a lot of trouble getting the 2 mount bolts off.
Definitely had Rentec(Edinburgh) do the rear beam bushes. The front wishbone ones were a complete pain, should have just got new wishbones and removed the oem bushes. They had to order one new bolt, one came out but had to be cut off. Everything generally feels better but until I have the tracking sorted, it's a little off, and check what's creaking on the front end I won't be taking it for a proper test drive. @dann2707 ktec have the purples for £70 I tink, blacks a little more. When you compare the oem and purple they are a lot stiffer so don't know whether I'd go for blacks.
In the end I'm glad I did it as it will tie in with everything in the long run and has given the car more stiffness immediately. Just should have bought new bolts for everything and possibly new wishbones.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
good read so far bud, i need new bolts all round also as cant be done with sticking old ones back in, but is it a case of going to the renault dealer for them? my local parts guy is a really old man in he takes forever to look up anything, if i asked for bolts he'd likely stand up in walk away haha

good read so far bud, i need new bolts all round also as cant be done with sticking old ones back in, but is it a case of going to the renault dealer for them? my local parts guy is a really old man in he takes forever to look up anything, if i asked for bolts he'd likely stand up in walk away haha
Cheers bud, this forum has pretty high standards so it makes me think it's not going well but I am happy with it just now(mystery clunk aside).
I would email Renault Wolverhampton on here and ask them for a price. If they can't get them then maybe Renault parts direct. Or bother to measure them all up and just get them from another fastening place(or b&q...) I ended up having to use a couple random bolts for the front wishbone bushes and I'm not happy about it. Probably order replacements in the next wee while.

So, hopefully the mystery clunk is solved. The car is with rentec at the moment for new lower ball joints, one had come loose (not fitted with right bolts after work done by me, not surprised but I was about to replace). Don't mind too much as new ball joints at 70K aren't exactly unexpected and with new polybushes, shocks etc. having them done at a similar time makes sense. So hopefully get it back on monday before having the tracking done and MOT after that.