ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BG 182

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Looks great this Louis. That carbon shaft (ooo err) is mega nice (y)
Cheers mate. I always think they photograph worse than they look in person, especially the anodised collars.

Tomorrow I'll be taking the seats out and shoving another subwoofer in. Might look at moving the horns too as the intercooler pipework will be there.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Thatll be the knock then.

20220416_142656.jpg
20220416_142724.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Decided my cable ties maybe werent a permanent fix so bought some new arb brackets. These were the last ones kam had in stock and they're now discontinued by renault...
20220423_134429.jpg

Strange how both old ones snapped in the exact same place. It's clearly the stiffness of the arb combined with the black series polybushes which causes this issue.

20220423_134438.jpg

Slathered in some copper slips to ease with fitment.
20220423_144835.jpg

Whilst I was there I fitted my stainless abs brackets. I didn't clean anything else, obviously.

20220423_144824.jpg

Job jobbed.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Decided my cable ties maybe werent a permanent fix so bought some new arb brackets. These were the last ones kam had in stock and they're now discontinued by renault...
View attachment 1589842
Strange how both old ones snapped in the exact same place. It's clearly the stiffness of the arb combined with the black series polybushes which causes this issue.

View attachment 1589840

Slathered in some copper slips to ease with fitment.
View attachment 1589839

Whilst I was there I fitted my stainless abs brackets. I didn't clean anything else, obviously.

View attachment 1589841

Job jobbed.
I tend to limit the amount of copper slip where I can because there’s lots of evidence that copper based anti-seize compounds can cause galvanic (bimetallic) corrosion, particularly involving stainless steel or galvanised fasteners. Basically it dries out exposing it to water, which in turn aids corrosion.

More likely yours have gone through old age and stress on the component. I tend to use a silicone based lube (oh er 😂) like that used on rubber bushes.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I tend to limit the amount of copper slip where I can because there’s lots of evidence that copper based anti-seize compounds can cause galvanic (bimetallic) corrosion, particularly involving stainless steel or galvanised fasteners. Basically it dries out exposing it to water, which in turn aids corrosion.

More likely yours have gone through old age and stress on the component. I tend to use a silicone based lube (oh er 😂) like that used on rubber bushes.
Be grand! The wash i gave it yesterday probably cleared up most of it anyway.

By the time those brackets snap again I'll have bigger rust problems 😭😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
That time of year again when its due a service. Struggled to find any MTL in stock at a reasonable price before finding it at classic-oils.net. Website was a little dodgy but as it is apparently owned by fuzz Townsend off car sos I was more confident i wasnt going to get scammed. Ordered and it turned up next day 👍

20220604_155617.jpg

Engine oil was again of the Castrol variety and the oil that came out was black. Crazy to think its only been a year and it's so bad! Gearbox oil was now golden but as it's red when it goes in was obviously due a change.

20220604_155621.jpg

Went easy enough, oil filter wasnt as tight as last year thankfully.

Managed to find some 2 way valves from China which didnt cost the earth, so cut the petrol vent line right back from where it was previously cable tied up and fitted the valve. Simple job 👍

20220604_142643.jpg
20220604_143805.jpg

Next up was fitting the quick release bumper catches. These I ordered from exoracing and seemed to be identical to a group buys that was on here a year or so ago. Measured up multiple times to save drilling multiple times and got them spot on first time. Obviously a job you dont want to mess up when drilling into the bumper!

20220604_133059.jpg
20220604_133114.jpg
20220604_134505.jpg

20220604_171735.jpg

Plan is to buy some more and remove the reinforcement up the front of the bumper fitting the quick catches instead.

Finally as the bumper was off I renewed the spire clips and bolts with some new stainless ones off ebay. Theyre much larger and seemed to hold firm within the liner so I hope they dont seize in like the old. Had to dig the grinder out for most of the original bolts as they were basically cheese.

20220604_120356.jpg
20220604_120411.jpg

Cleaned up all the arch liners and undertrays with some engine cleaner at the end of the job but didnt grab any photos of this. Gearbox seems to be weeping from the selector again but hard to say, will keep an eye on it 👍

Next jobs are removing the exhaust at the back and looking at rust prevention. I've put it off too long and want to get hold of it before it's too late!

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I recently put all new spire clips on my bumper/arch liners. Was very satisfying. However I now see why I liked only having a total of five holding things together lol

the fuel breather that was connected the carbon canister, how far back did you cut it?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I recently put all new spire clips on my bumper/arch liners. Was very satisfying. However I now see why I liked only having a total of five holding things together lol

the fuel breather that was connected the carbon canister, how far back did you cut it?
Thought I'd replied to this, sorry mate. I cut it right back just 2 fuel clips along from the tank. Had zero issues with it here.

Have the week off so took some time washing the clio today before a trip to the lakes. Full wash, decon, coat of poor boys, carnauba wax and wet coat. Will tyre shine and coat the trim in the morning.

20220614_202820.jpg
20220614_202845.jpg
20220614_202839.jpg
20220614_202746.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Had a bit of low RPM judder/misfire so after some advice I replaced the spark plugs. Pretty quick job, majority of time was taken cleaning all the mating surfaces. Old ones looked fine, but being 5 years since I did them was a good job to review.

20220709_192436.jpg
20220709_192604.jpg
20220709_192608.jpg
20220709_201107.jpg

Genuine Sparky Bois fitted again and will see tomorrow whether it's sorted this issue. Might look at getting some Magnecors too as the HT leads have clearly been replaced individually as some point as there is 2 x 1's unless that's OEM?

Knocking at the front is also getting worse. Bought some new balljoints as these cars seemingly love to eat them whilst lowered. Lemforder was the only way and I'll get them fitted later in the week. Also need to do CSF prep but it was wayyy too hot today to consider it.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to mention, I've had an issue with a slight leak on my coolant. Some investigation discovered dried up coolant on the thermostat housing rear pipe. I've now nipped this up again and hopefully its grand.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Have you replaced the injectors at all?
Sometimes it feels like you don't read my thread at all and just don't care about me Stefan.

🥲

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Genuine ren leads are best bet if you can find a set. Never rated the magnecors on any car ive had them fitted to, fitted crap on my old 172 Kangoo.