ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BG 182

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just the 1l? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
1L just for the filler flap

200.gif

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
What a day.

Decided I was going to make use of the good weather and fit my brembos today. Unfortunately my hardlines were rusty (obviously) so I needed to replace them. Spoke to BRT motorsport and with help from @Touring_Rob , @RichValver and using catcar I got the dims needed. Had a pair of braided lines made up and cracked on with fitting them.

Now this isn't easy with the engine in place so I had to tear out the fabric heatshield to gain access.

20220806_112132.jpg

I disconnected the hardlines from the calipers and plugged them with some blank m10x1 plugs. Absolute game changer!

Hardlines out and ABS pump plugged this is where I was at.

20220806_130715.jpg
20220806_130824.jpg
20220806_130829.jpg

Old lines were fucked! Now routing the new lines was a pain but got there in the end and basically got the lines clipped into all of the oem guides.

Much better!
20220806_200936.jpg

Whilst I was here i decided to attack the rust. Now there's a fair bit in the arches and I definitely didn't get it all, but it's a start. Used my die grinder, wire brush and flap discs to attack the rust. Coated with hydrate 80 then some epoxy mastic. Now I still have other areas to go on but I ran out of time. Plan is to get the rest then gravitex and dynax ub it.

Fitted the brembos and needed to tighten pretty much every fitting. Getting the lines to seal on the pump was tough as there's not much space for leverage but got there eventually.

Brembos were bled but will definitely need doing again.

Some quality machining got the ds1.1.1.111s in the perfect position.

20220806_161653.jpg

Fingers crossed no leaks in the night!

20220806_194454.jpg
20220806_194439.jpg

Also thanks to porl for the great brackets 👍

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
1659824346755.png

Just look at that pad alignment 😍. And the studs are perfect length for the nylock nuts too! Would you look at that @Iranian Pudding 😂.

Good work with the new lines Luios. Rob is probably right about taking the engine out to fully de rust the front, good job you'll be needing a derv beater for the commute eh.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1606403
Just look at that pad alignment 😍. And the studs are perfect length for the nylock nuts too! Would you look at that @Iranian Pudding 😂.

Good work with the new lines Luios. Rob is probably right about taking the engine out to fully de rust the front, good job you'll be needing a derv beater for the commute eh.
Its weird because Kyle has absolutely loads of thread sticking out past the nylocs but his pads sit almost identical to mine? Probably the mill grinder he used 🤣 I had wanted to use a washer behind the nut but wanted to ensure the nyloc was engaged.

This was 100% only 5mm of material removed with your 280mm brackets.

Looking good Louis, you need to buy a temporary car and have the engine out of yours... so much easier to fix the crusty bits with the engine, rear beam and tank out!

I'll be buying another car when I move as Paul says. I just didn't have fun doing this tiny bit of rust let alone the whole thing 😂 Got black bogeys now

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Woke up and didn't find any leaks! The unions on the top of the abs pump looked moist but I think it was just condensation as I dried it up and it didn't return.

Had to spend the day with the Mrs as its her birthday but once I got home I set to finishing up all the loose ends from yesterday. Torqued up the calipers, tried to adjust the hose position so they didn't scrub and got it back on its wheels.

20220807_181420.jpg
20220807_181436.jpg

Went out and did some runs down the local industrial estate mexico to get the pads and discs hot. After a few runs it stops like nothing else! There's definitely some more pedal deadzone but I think they need bleeding again. I activated the abs so that should have cleared out the pump if there was anything there.

Got some deposit onto the discs so couldn't have asked for anything else. Shoved it on some chocks to let it all cool down.

20220807_181638.jpg

20220807_181358.jpg

Still a prominent knocking on the front end which I think is tres and I have some to bosh on. Job for another weekend as I'll need alignment after too.

Looking forward to getting these bled again and using the car in anger! It'll be OK as is for work tomorrow though.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I spoke too soon.

Zoomed in on this photo and I saw the telltale marks of dripping fluid.

Screenshot_20220807-193647_Chrome.jpg

Rushed out and both f**king bleed nipples on both calipers have leaked. I've no idea why, they're genuine HEL stainless items and I did them properly tight.

Now both calipers have a run line on them from leaking fluid.

200.gif

I've swapped them over now and f**king wellied them tight. If it leaks again someone can come set fire to the car for me and I'll claim the 6k.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I spoke too soon.

Zoomed in on this photo and I saw the telltale marks of dripping fluid.

View attachment 1606555

Rushed out and both f**king bleed nipples on both calipers have leaked. I've no idea why, they're genuine HEL stainless items and I did them properly tight.

Now both calipers have a run line on them from leaking fluid.

View attachment 1606554

I've swapped them over now and f**king wellied them tight. If it leaks again someone can come set fire to the car for me and I'll claim the 6k.

Are they leaking from the threads or the ends of the nips?

Pad alignment looks great though. I found the only way to bleed the Brembos properly is with a pressure bleeder. Trigger the ABS pump on rs tuner /clip and force a couple of litres of fluid through them. Doing the outer first seems to work better too. On mine there’s no dead zone, the brakes are either not pressed or you’re though the windscreen

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Are they leaking from the threads or the ends of the nips?

Pad alignment looks great though. I found the only way to bleed the Brembos properly is with a pressure bleeder. Trigger the ABS pump on rs tuner /clip and force a couple of litres of fluid through them. Doing the outer first seems to work better too. On mine there’s no dead zone, the brakes are either not pressed or you’re though the windscreen
They're leaking from the threads. New ones appear to be OK so far. So frustrating after all that work! Ahh well, better to just let it be as i can't go back now. Should have just powdercoated the calipers...

And yeah I have a pressure bleeder but will try that next weekend when I have more time. Need the car for work so it's always a mad panic!!

You on standard mc @SteveC_1879

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
They're leaking from the threads. New ones appear to be OK so far. So frustrating after all that work! Ahh well, better to just let it be as i can't go back now. Should have just powdercoated the calipers...

And yeah I have a pressure bleeder but will try that next weekend when I have more time. Need the car for work so it's always a mad panic!!

My braided lines leaked as well. I think it happens with the stainless fittings more because they don't deform to create a seal as much?

On the lines I just nipped them up and rocked them back and fourth I guess like lapping a valve in, did them up and all was well. f**k knows what you should do with bleed nipples other than Wang them up taf.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
That's a shitter mate. They definitely the right bleed nipples? Wondering if the threads are doing a bad job of sealing when really the bolts are too short so not sealing against the mating surfaces if that makes sense.

Could the fluid have come from inside the nipple when stood still?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
My braided lines leaked as well. I think it happens with the stainless fittings more because they don't deform to create a seal as much?

On the lines I just nipped them up and rocked them back and fourth I guess like lapping a valve in, did them up and all was well. f**k knows what you should do with bleed nipples other than Wang them up taf.
I said the same thing to Kyle when I was struggling to get the abs pump lines to seal. Tightening loosening then tightening seemed to help on these. f**k knows why the stainless nips didn't seal as they're genuine HEL, were very tight and also weren't leaking overnight.

Hopefully the others hold fluid. I absolutely detest anything surrounding brake fluid. I'm happy to deal with everything else but brake fluids the worst.

That's a shitter mate. They definitely the right bleed nipples? Wondering if the threads are doing a bad job of sealing when really the bolts are too short so not sealing against the mating surfaces if that makes sense.

Could the fluid have come from inside the nipple when stood still?

Definitely right mate yeah. Tapers matched that of the others I had!

It definitely leaked past the thread as the little rubber caps were just sat pooled in fluid.

I'm sure i won't be too bothered once they've had some mileage on its just the principle of a fresh set of calipers that I've kept mint. Definitely will powdercoat next time!

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

Yeah, still the standard mc. Pedal feel Is great.

I’ve got no idea whether it would work or whether brake fluid would eat it, but could you even add a bit of PTFE tape on the threads? I’ve used it on braided oil lines with decent success in the past and if it’s only gently weeping from the threads it might stop it

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, still the standard mc. Pedal feel Is great.

I’ve got no idea whether it would work or whether brake fluid would eat it, but could you even add a bit of PTFE tape on the threads? I’ve used it on braided oil lines with decent success in the past and if it’s only gently weeping from the threads it might stop it
They appear to be OK for now. I'll let everyone know tomorrow when I've driven into a wall. Just self bleeding calipers 🥴

Went outside and hosed off the calipers and wheels just to make sure no fluid is sticking around.

Going to buy more brake fluid in preparation for this weekend and get the pressure bleeder on them.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Sometimes a bit of residual brake fluid comes out of the nips once up to temp, never seem to be able to get rid of all of it after bleeding. Agree with the stainless fittings sometimes weeping when fitted, does my nut usually end up going as tight as i dare.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Sometimes a bit of residual brake fluid comes out of the nips once up to temp, never seem to be able to get rid of all of it after bleeding. Agree with the stainless fittings sometimes weeping when fitted, does my nut usually end up going as tight as i dare.
This was sitting around the base of the threads. Annoying as I was so careful to keep them clean whilst bleeding etc.

New ones still appear to be fine so it must just be the stainless fittings. Word of warning for others I guess!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The ds1.11s got too much on the road and were squealing properly bad. @NickReilly063 can confirm how loud they were 😂

I managed to pick up a set of brembo oem pads for £28 so threw those into the calipers. Can see the metallic shine in the ferodo pads when the sun hits them which is why they'll be so noisy.

20220820_131805.jpg

These new pads also have a chamfer on the leading edge which again should help reduce noise. I'm not expecting amazing things from the pads but for the daily drive to work they'll suffice.

Next up was replacing the TREs as I was still chasing a knocking noise. Upon removal they were very notchy and definitely worn.

I measured all the distances with some vernier to try reduce the amount of alignment required. Obviously whilst there it's worth replacing the topmount bearings as it saves me having to pay for alignment twice if they fail in a few months time.

Genuine SKF bearings once more although the ones I removed were OK so will be added to the stock pile.

20220820_172330.jpg

Boring update really but I'll be bleeding the brembos tomorrow, gunning up the top mount bearings and then maybe fitting my other quick release clips.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Stainless nipples in aluminium are arguably worse for galvanic corrosion than using them in oem calipers.
Stainless screw into Ali is generally ok, the other way round is not. I don't think the galvanic potential between stainless and Ali is much different to mild steel and Ali tbh.

Salt makes things much worse though, so a spray of something over winter should keep everything decent.

NickReilly063

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy Rs265
The ds1.11s got too much on the road and were squealing properly bad. @NickReilly063 can confirm how loud they were 😂

I managed to pick up a set of brembo oem pads for £28 so threw those into the calipers. Can see the metallic shine in the ferodo pads when the sun hits them which is why they'll be so noisy.

View attachment 1608562

These new pads also have a chamfer on the leading edge which again should help reduce noise. I'm not expecting amazing things from the pads but for the daily drive to work they'll suffice.

Next up was replacing the TREs as I was still chasing a knocking noise. Upon removal they were very notchy and definitely worn.

I measured all the distances with some vernier to try reduce the amount of alignment required. Obviously whilst there it's worth replacing the topmount bearings as it saves me having to pay for alignment twice if they fail in a few months time.

Genuine SKF bearings once more although the ones I removed were OK so will be added to the stock pile.

View attachment 1608563

Boring update really but I'll be bleeding the brembos tomorrow, gunning up the top mount bearings and then maybe fitting my other quick release clips.

Yep Louis they sounded awful when you pulled in on Friday teatime - nice to meet you though and thanks for your pointers for No63 🚗👍

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yep Louis they sounded awful when you pulled in on Friday teatime - nice to meet you though and thanks for your pointers for No63 🚗👍
Good meeting you aswell Nick! Didn't need many pointers as it looks ace as it is!

Swapped my Winmax W5 for the same oem brembo pads too.

Braking power isn't too bad and it's nice having a quiet deceleration and less metal dust over my brand new 2118's 😅

I heard you've got some new wheels, must've been jealous of the refurb when niall sent you the photos 😂

Was the knock due to the TREs in the end? I know you said they was notchy.

I hate chasing knocks.

I've not driven the car yet mate, so who knows! It definitely felt like it would be the issue as it kind of replicated the noise I was hearing when I moved the joint by hand.

It is indeed.

Louis if you don't already have one this tool is the shiz

View attachment 1608605

I did my tie rods aaages ago and borrowed a tool from @leeds2592. They still feel fine but I do get through TREs and balljoints! It must be the s**t UK roads.

Finished up today bleeding the brembos. I think I may have been too premature on removing the stainless nipples as after bleeding fluid seemed to wick up through the threads for ages! 3 wipes later and it's finally stopped coming up so @Brigsy was most likely right on it being excess fluid. They bled up easy with the vizibleed, haven't felt the need to use the gunson.

What I did notice is that the osf braided line had been caught by the tyre at some point and gone through the clear shroud. I redid the connection and I think its far enough away now to cause no problems. I'll check it again next week!

Frustratingly one of the topmount threads will not torque to 33nm and is definitely on the verge of killing all the threads. The other 2 are solid enough so I'll rely on those for now. Helicoil job for next time!

Cleaned up the boots removing the motamec stickers as they'd all but come off and sprayed the b14s with acf50.

20220821_140725.jpg
20220821_140728.jpg