ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big brakes...yes or no?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
In the next few months I'll be upgrading the front brakes on my 182.

My dilema is that I feel for the optimum set up I should increase the disc size to a greater diameter than that of the standard disc. To do this I'll need to increase wheel size up from 16" to 17". I was told at GDI that increasing the wheel size to 17" will definately give adverse handling characteristics.

Is this so? Does anyone use a large big brake kit which required larger wheels for it to fit?

Ph-Quick
310mm discs under 17s:
dsc00057.jpg

but do fit under 16s:
photo02611.jpg

but only just, thats a 5mm twist drill and it doesnt fit in:
photo02601.jpg

M2 Competition
Why do you feel you need bigger discs?

Can get plenty of stopping power with the standard discs and calipers, or 4 pots if you want to splash some money. Even the race cars run standard size discs...

17's will indeed ruin the handling.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I just feel that a big brake kit would improve the car's braking capability. After 120 mph I've noticed that fade is a problem. I suspect they'll warp soon enough. The fade is irratating to say the least.

4 pots will certainly help in grabbing the disc, but I figured a much bigger disc would eliminate any fade through greater heat dissapation+greater surface area for the pads to grip on to. A winner all round surely?

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Standard size drilled disc to get rid of the boundray layer build up. Pads with a higher working temperature.

If you want 4 pots than AP racing. Floating discs aswell if you really want to.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I just feel that a big brake kit would improve the car's braking capability. After 120 mph I've noticed that fade is a problem. I suspect they'll warp soon enough. The fade is irratating to say the least.

4 pots will certainly help in grabbing the disc, but I figured a much bigger disc would eliminate any fade through greater heat dissapation+greater surface area for the pads to grip on to. A winner all round surely?

Better pads and discs, with lines and decent fluid and fade will be banished for good.

I've thought about bigger brakes/4-pots many times, then I go out on track and realise they just do not need it.

As above, standard capliers are up to the job.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Or if you are really serious about disappating the heat you can go for different material disc.

Uprated standard sized discs & uprated pads & lines should be ample. The brakes aren't exactly rubbish on them anyway, if anything as standard I find them a bit on the sharp side, never had any fade either.

Mk2 172
Anything as long as you dont buy drilled!!! They crack from the holes out! Go for grooved or just normal uprated ones. Brembo discs are rated highly on clios. I have brembo max ones with ds2500 pads and braided lines and have been to the ring with them and cadwell park and suffered no fading at all. Great setup thats fairly inexpensive.Anyone who knows anything about brakes will tell you steer clear of drilled discs! :)

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Nothing wrong with drilled discs at all. The drilled discs are the last component to cause problems for us.

megan R26.R number 006
you don't need a 4 pot brake upgrade just better disk , pads and s/s braided hoses i run performance friction 97 pads with brembo high carbon disks and s/s braided hoses i have done 9 track days this year with the same set of pads and i will be doing my 10th at cadwell next month i have never had fade with them i have found they just get better and better with the more temperature you get in to them and the more you use them they will out brake most cars on track and the brakes on my car are even better than the brembo 4 pots on the new 197

CS Dungeon
you don't need a 4 pot brake upgrade just better disk , pads and s/s braided hoses i run performance friction 97 pads with brembo high carbon disks and s/s braided hoses i have done 9 track days this year with the same set of pads and i will be doing my 10th at cadwell next month i have never had fade with them i have found they just get better and better with the more temperature you get in to them and the more you use them they will out brake most cars on track and the brakes on my car are even better than the brembo 4 pots on the new 197

lol

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I think a four pot conversion will probably be the best idea as I intend to transfer them, with other performance parts, to a Trophy eventually. I presume any uprgrade will for a 182 Cup will fit straight on to the Trophy?

Any idea what the OEM discs fitted to the 182 Cup are in mm?

Thanks.:)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Standard size drilled disc to get rid of the boundray layer build up. Pads with a higher working temperature.

If you want 4 pots than AP racing. Floating discs aswell if you really want to.

AP items are usually rather costly. Godspeed items will do...if they arrive in time.

Less
Aftermarket pads and discs will be more than adequate. I had to stop sharply the other day... boy those Greenstuffs did their job!

Leon Cupra 300
Am i right in thinking the Brembo High Carbons with Greenstuff is the best set up for road use? No squeeks etc?

Am i right in thinking the Brembo High Carbons with Greenstuff is the best set up for road use? No squeeks etc?
Depends on defininition of best stock is IMO best for most users.
Aftermarket pads and discs will be more than adequate. I had to stop sharply the other day... boy those Greenstuffs did their job!
Stock pads are good enough.
I think a four pot conversion will probably be the best idea as I intend to transfer them, with other performance parts, to a Trophy eventually. I presume any uprgrade will for a 182 Cup will fit straight on to the Trophy?

Any idea what the OEM discs fitted to the 182 Cup are in mm?
280mm

Yep brakes are the same on all 172/182 except the 172 cup has no Abs but only affects rear disk as you need to have the abs rings in them and the 172 front pad part has discontinued the 182 one is retrofitable only difference is a chamer to reduce rattle when bedding in.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
... After 120 mph I've noticed that fade is a problem. ...

And this is a speed you get up to regularly enough on the road to need bigger brakes?

It happens...and when travelling at that speed braking on and off, fade is the last thing I want. Considering I've experienced it so far is warning sign to upgrade.

Generally heaving braking from 120-130 down to 40-50 is when the discs can't cope after repeating this procedure for ten minutes or so.

300 mm discs will fit with a clearance that is acceptable?

Thanks.:)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I got a kit from Yozzasport, Brembo HC DS2500 & lines.

Was worried about all the squeal comments but i have not had any at all & they are miles better than stock.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
gotta love the "you dont need 4 pots" comments. i'd put a load of cash on it that these people have NOT drivin a 1*2 with 4 pots fitted?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

lol

+1

It happens...and when travelling at that speed braking on and off, fade is the last thing I want. Considering I've experienced it so far is warning sign to upgrade.

Generally heaving braking from 120-130 down to 40-50 is when the discs can't cope after repeating this procedure for ten minutes or so.

Ist the pads and clipers which are the trouble not the disks themselvs going larger isn't the ideal choice.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi

Ist the pads and clipers which are the trouble not the disks themselvs going larger isn't the ideal choice.

Ok. Though surely having bigger discs is an overall improvement. Greater surface area for for heat disappation. Improved stopping because of that and the larger area for the pads to grab hold of.

M2 Competition
The magic is in the brake cooling fella. For what you've described id get some venting run to your brakes. These things have made the single biggest difference to my brake fade...

Last edited:
  Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
The magic is in the brake cooling fella. For what you've described id get some venting run to your brakes. These things have made the single biggest difference to my brake fade...

Really? Sounds a decent way of quelling fade. Just not to keen on removing my fog lights that's all. Any other way of tackling it?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yep.

See post #7 above - no need to remove foglights if you get the pad/disc combo right.

I've run Pagid Blues with Brembo HC which were faultless. I'm now on Carbon Lorraine pads on the Brembos...initial thoughts are that they're up there with the Pagids.

That with braided lines and a good fluid will give you a firm pedal, good bite/feel, and no fade.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
pad compound is essential, the wrong compound for the type of driving and your not going to get the performance you want...

on the road, unless your really pushing it, there is little "need" for 4 pots...

however this is not to say that there are not benefits....

padid and mintex are our current favourites.... on the track clios we look after most use mintex 1144... on one of the track club 182's they get hammered all day and never miss a beat.

we use pagid rs14 on our willwood kit.... these are awesome on the road but for "race level" track use they do suffer a little... but this is in a std weight 182 with more power than std...

disc wise, as long as the quality is good, there is little problem...

its also very important and often overlooked to replace or skim off a disc when a different pad compound is used....

the new pads lay down a layer onto the disc and its this that heavily effects how efficient the breaking is... also bedding in is essential.... and how this is done is evey important...