ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Dont know if its been asked or mentioned already, but what trailer have you got?

My limit for trailer with car on it and any spare wheels, fuel cans etc will be 1450kgs.
Was looking at a Woodford lightweight range which they will supply de-rated to what ever gross capacity you wish. The A6 i've got just now is ideal regards it's unladen and gross weights so i should be able to tow no probs with my current B licence.

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Its a Brian James Clubman 1.85M wide by 4M long, I couldn't recommend it enough! Mine is plated to 1495 so I am allowed 1045KG's load which is just enough for the car with a full tank both seats and some wheels on the rack :) You will be fine with yours just if you want to keep it legal don't load it with a full tank of fuel ;) Your car will be lighter than mine also and I guess by at least 50kg's! Pic's below :)
2d67c193.jpg

85e0b7f5.jpg

8fc8c71c.jpg

80bf1ff4.jpg

Out of interest can you tow that on a normal licence?

Im still in love with your car!

Yes mate you can tow it on a post 1997 licence, it all depends on the weight of the tow car, car to be towed and trailer weight though. I can explain it if you need but it can be abit boring ;)

Thank you mate! Hope your well :)

I was just wondering as was speaking to someone about this the other day! ha. I will have a google :)

Ahh no worries mate :) I meant boring for you listening not me lol ;) Basically you take the gross weight of the car (The max allowable weight) My car is 2005KG, then the total weight of trailer and everything to be loaded has to be less than the gross weight of the tow car. The total gross weight of the tow car and the plated gross weight of the trailer has to be less than 3500kg. If I hadn't had my trailer down plated then the total would of been 4605kg so they took 1105kg off the gross weight of the trailer now 1495kg. 1495kg + 2005kg = 3500kg so keeps the VOSA happy :) Does that make sense? Any questions feel free to fire away :)

172 cup, Impreza P1

I was thinking I would have to get my B+E licence to tow my car with a similar trailer and using an Audi A6 2.7tdi quattro.

The car has a weight of 1765kg kerb weight and the car weighs about 950kg. Would this work with the clubman trailer?

Cheers

What is the gross weight of the car mate? I think my kerb weight is 1600kg so your car is a fair bit heavier. For it to work your gross weight would have to be 2100kg or less and then you wouldn't be able to put any more than 950kg on the trailer (that based on my clubman which weighs 450kg) Hope that helps :)

172 cup, Impreza P1

Gross weight is 2350kg so will be too heavy! :(

Ahh no worries mate :) I meant boring for you listening not me lol ;) Basically you take the gross weight of the car (The max allowable weight) My car is 2005KG, then the total weight of trailer and everything to be loaded has to be less than the gross weight of the tow car. The total gross weight of the tow car and the plated gross weight of the trailer has to be less than 3500kg. If I hadn't had my trailer down plated then the total would of been 4605kg so they took 1105kg off the gross weight of the trailer now 1495kg. 1495kg + 2005kg = 3500kg so keeps the VOSA happy :) Does that make sense? Any questions feel free to fire away :)

Spot on! Cheers :)

Golf GTD Mk7

Damn those BM's are heavy. Or is that the weight with everything in it?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup

That's it's gross weight, kerb weight or unladen needs to be 1500kgs +/- and a gross of 2000kgs to give you the best ratio.

It's unlikely you'll run with it right on that limit but you have to base your calculations on on that weight, same goes with the trailer. If you got stopped by the traffics or VOSA, even if your whole rig was under the 3500kgs limit but the car and trailer gross weights as stated on the vin/data plates added up to more than 3500kgs, you could find your self in bother.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup

Its a Brian James Clubman 1.85M wide by 4M long, I couldn't recommend it enough! Mine is plated to 1495 so I am allowed 1045KG's load which is just enough for the car with a full tank both seats and some wheels on the rack :) You will be fine with yours just if you want to keep it legal don't load it with a full tank of fuel ;) Your car will be lighter than mine also and I guess by at least 50kg's! Pic's below :)

I know a few folk with the clubman trailers, I was initially going to get one too but since had a look at a few alternatives.
The Woodford stuff seems to be pretty good too and reasonably priced, the one I was looking at is 400kgs, my tow car is 2050kgs gross so would need the trailer plated to 1450kgs which gets me back to a similar load capacity as you've got.

Not sure if i've missed this bit too but what does your clio weigh out of curiosity? Not sure what mine is going to come out at, been trying hard to pinch every last bit of weight but it's starting to get really hard to find anything else to remove, still have a few things up my sleeve which I haven't posted anything about so I'll leave those till nearer the time ;)

Clio 172

James just spotted your number, Rossi fan by any chance?

I thought max tow weight on a B was 750kg.

172 cup, Impreza P1

I thought max tow weight on a B was 750kg.

"Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM"

So depends on your towing vehicle but most if not all will weigh more than 750kg.

182cup & 172 racecar

I'm glad I'm old and don't have to worry about all this sh1t.

Damn those BM's are heavy. Or is that the weight with everything in it?
As Kenny says Jonny, thats the MAM (max authorised mass) of my car, kerb weight is 1600kg :)
I know a few folk with the clubman trailers, I was initially going to get one too but since had a look at a few alternatives.
The Woodford stuff seems to be pretty good too and reasonably priced, the one I was looking at is 400kgs, my tow car is 2050kgs gross so would need the trailer plated to 1450kgs which gets me back to a similar load capacity as you've got.

Not sure if i've missed this bit too but what does your clio weigh out of curiosity? Not sure what mine is going to come out at, been trying hard to pinch every last bit of weight but it's starting to get really hard to find anything else to remove, still have a few things up my sleeve which I haven't posted anything about so I'll leave those till nearer the time ;)
Yes Kenny all the big makes seem pretty to good to me when I looked around at them, I chose this one as it had good history and had hardly ever been used :)

Wet weight is 949kg with 6 litres of fuel and two seats (I think :))

Sounds good to me Kenny from looking at your thread I would guestimate it will be around 880kg's although it just depends how much stuff you put in!
James just spotted your number, Rossi fan by any chance?
Haha afraid not mate, just the number gold track provided me with :)
I'm glad I'm old and don't have to worry about all this sh1t.
Haha well lucky you :p It isn't the simplest system but once you get your head round it's not too bad :)

Thanks again for today Tony hope you had a decent drive back!

182cup & 172 racecar

Spot on, traffic was good.

182cup & 172 racecar

Mines in stone though, fekkin heavy.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

did anyone get any pics of the false floor attachment in the end?

Sorry Neil totally forgot :( I promise I will sort some out before Anglesey which will be the next time i'm with the car! It is a solid sheet of alloy that is water-jetted to fit the footwell and has about 6 stand offs so it is strong enough to stand on no problems :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

When are you collecting it James and your up late again !!

I have just dropped Matt an email saying that I am free to collect it on Thursday the 8th so hopefully then :) Haha as always ;) I am trying to get through the video's and data from Bruntingthorpe! When are you getting yours back Colin still Tuesday? Excited?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Think it will be later in the week, hopefully thursday, cant wait.
I'll take my camera for a ride again and get some pics this time.
I assume Matts still working on the shift set up ?

Ahh sounds good Colin, I bet you can't!

Haha sounds good :)

Still got a couple of little finishes to do on it but we have finalised the concept so all is good :) It's mainly now just the very few finishing touches like rear tow point etc and then ready for Anglesey :D!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

All being well I will be coming over to Anglesey, hopefully in the Clio but the wife n kids said they may come and drop me at the circuit to play with the big boys toys whilst they go off somewhere lol
What are your plans?

It will be good to see you again Colin! Would also be good to see the clio although I'm sure I will see it during the year if not at Anglesey.

Well my plans aren't set in stone yet, I am working Friday, Saturday so I'm not sure weather or not to drive over to Anglesey on Saturday evening and then hotel it but I'm worried about leaving the car on the trailer in a car park. I was also thinking just to drive over from Ilkley in the Morning but it would be a 4.15 start and then even after the day I will have to go and drop the car at home and then head down to Nottingham for the week so quite a tiring day! lol

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Its a pity I dont have a garage as you could have left it at my house or you could leave it on the drive ?

How long before you get some pics or video up ?

Thats a very kind offer thanks Colin, I am swaying more towards the option of just drive on the day and I will split the driving with my friend who is coming (I think you met him at Harewood) :) I just can't wait to get back on track!

It will probably be tomorrow now as my bed is calling lol and I still need to work out a way of changing the video format :(!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Ok the offers there if you need it. Off to bed? pah I'm here till 7am grafting cough cough lol

What does everyone think to the team name of 'J-Force Racing' I really am not too sure what to call it but this seems to be popular amongst people I have spoken to over the last few days? If not then please provide suggestions :D

I will put up a short Bruntingthorpe write up later on once I have finally sorted the video's out :)

220 Trophy

Honestly James I'm not too keen on it, what about simply "James Ash Racing", sounds much cooler/old-school to me.

No worries Mark, I didn't actually like it myself when it was suggested to me but it has slightly grown on me :) I was trying to avoid putting my name into it but thanks for the suggestion!

220 Trophy

What about Ash Racing, or J A Performance?

James Ash Racing sounds more professional imo.

Mmm I'm not too sure, not a fan of the Ash bit although J A Racing could work? Thanks for the suggestions though :)