ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

220 Trophy
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

That's because you hear and see Ash written down many times a day, whereas nobody else knows the name. Truthfully James Ash Racing sounds pretty good to me, also it sounds an honest team name. Anything with the name Force in it conjures up pictures of Power Rangers or the like.

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Haha that is true Mark, Okay well I will have a ponder and see! I do appreciate the ideas just not sold on them yet ;)

220 Trophy

........I'll have 'Mark Williams Racing' down the side of my GT3 RSR..... Or was it a 458 Challenge in the end?!

You see Mark I think that sounds good but 'James Ashton Racing' just doesn't have a good ring! Lol We decided on 458 challenge cars :p

220 Trophy

Ah, so its "Ashton", don’t thing that makes any difference, if anything it sounds a bit more authentic... "James Ashton Racing". Hummm, I'm having a Porsche fad at the moment, I'm thinking Mexico blue RSR.....

Ah, so its "Ashton", don’t thing that makes any difference, if anything it sounds a bit more authentic... "James Ashton Racing". Hummm, I'm having a Porsche fad at the moment, I'm thinking Mexico blue RSR.....
Yes sorry Ash is just the nickname :) (which I dont like lol) Yes I will have a think! They are nice motors! Can't go wrong with old school mexico blue :cool:

220 Trophy

Don’t be a girl, it sounds fine to me, no different to "Williams". Yes wicked colour, can remember seeing a 993 GT2 in Mexico blue - it looked fantastic. If/when I can ever afford a GT3 RS I'll have it in Mexico with black wheels and mirrors.

Golf GTD Mk7

That's because you hear and see Ash written down many times a day, whereas nobody else knows the name. Truthfully James Ash Racing sounds pretty good to me, also it sounds an honest team name. Anything with the name Force in it conjures up pictures of Power Rangers or the like.

Interesting, i'll let Matt know ;)

What about J A Motorsports instead of Racing?

Don’t be a girl, it sounds fine to me, no different to "Williams". Yes wicked colour, can remember seeing a 993 GT2 in Mexico blue - it looked fantastic. If/when I can ever afford a GT3 RS I'll have it in Mexico with black wheels and mirrors.
Haha I am a big girl ;) Matt will tell you! I saw a 997 Gen2 in it at Porsche Silverstone last year... It looked EPIC! Sounds nice :D
Interesting, i'll let Matt know ;)

What about J A Motorsports instead of Racing?
Its an option mate but I thought by putting motorsport in the name would imply it is a company more than a team if you get me!
J.A Racing

Could always go for something completely random!
Random is what I am now leaning towards so I will get my thinking cap on :)

Thanks for that Tony I will give them a call and check availability/ cost and then decide what to do :) It sounds ideal though so thanks for the recommendation!

Bruntingthorpe 24[SUP]th[/SUP] February:

On Friday Matt had arranged for some private testing at Bruntingthorpe. The main aim was to try out some changes that had been made to the gearlinkage setup since Donington and also to get some running without having to be looking in the mirrors for a GT car trying to bum you up the straights ;) We had also just fitted the race technology data logger so it was to give me a chance to practice using this and to get some data ready for my trip to Anglesey in March.

Once again Tony very kindly offered to come along and help out J I really appreciate the help and advice that Tony has provided over the last couple of trackdays! He took the car out in the afternoon and put some laps on it which was good as it gives the TDF boy’s some new feedback other me just saying I love it lol! My running in the morning was quite good although it took a long time to adjust to the circuit. It was so wide it was difficult to pick out any braking points but apart from that I just used it as a session to put some more miles on the car and for me to chuck the car around a bit more in a safe environment. The car responded well and it continues to feel like a very safe setup which we can tweek and move forward with.

I broke my first part on the car also on Friday….. the rearview mirror lol I leant forward to switch on the datalogger and my helmet hit the mirror and the rest was history! Hopefully I will not have 7 years bad luck!

Since Friday I have gone through the data to see how the system operates and I am very impressed with it :) Although I didn’t go out to set lap times and I wasn’t really sticking to the racing lines etc it still gave me a good idea as to the ability of the logger and what it can show you. If anyone is interested to see any screen shots of the program or know more about how it works then just let me know!

I apologise once again for the lack of photos but this time I have got some video, I didn’t have the external microphone so the sound quality is shocking but gives you an idea of the circuit. (look at the massive Jets that I could of crashed into :S)

The plan now is for TDF just to finish off the final touches and then I will collect the car a couple of days before Anglesey on the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] March. I will try and get the microphone issues sorted for Anglesey and then we should have some proper video’s to show :)

Thanks for reading,

James

4da6c1e9.jpg

392d8e87.jpg

8138f043.jpg

d5d5e361.jpg

fb074fa1.jpg

5b966e87.jpg

419a9e92.jpg

c35c1d4d.jpg

da1f2a74.jpg

da3fc34b.jpg

b88ac9bc.jpg

Video:
[video=youtube_share;azSMrHbxPG4]http://youtu.be/azSMrHbxPG4[/video]

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Ashton Motorsport ? I will have a think , along night ahead............ and I cant see the bloody pictures !?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Sorry i mean work filter them, can you email me some of the data logger runs and I will send you some from Harewood that my mate logged in his DC2 it will give you some insight into Harewood.
Any chance you can email the pics to work ? I will pm you my email

Ahh I see Colin, Yes no worries am I okay to just send you the .run files as I am not sure how to export the worked data. All you will need to do is add markers in the software and then it will create lap times etc :) That would be great if you could as I am just trying to get my head around it all! I will be bringing the laptop with me to Anglesey so we can have a play at lunchtime and see how it can help :D Just got your PM give me 30 mins and I will go on the other PC and send them over :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

JAM Racing (James Ashton Motorsport)
AD (Ashton Developments)
JAMDEL Racing (James Ashton Motorsport Developments)..... lol

put loads of words down that could work, ie personal names etc, then put down racing, developments, motorsport, etc etc.
then look at abbreviations of these... various options....

loads to be had

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

BIG GASH Racing Developments (split through the door so when the door its open you just have GASH written along the rear 3/4).
on a more serious note, would be more than happy to help with regards to livery / logo / vinyl design

JAM Racing (James Ashton Motorsport)
AD (Ashton Developments)
JAMDEL Racing (James Ashton Motorsport Developments)..... lol

put loads of words down that could work, ie personal names etc, then put down racing, developments, motorsport, etc etc.
then look at abbreviations of these... various options....

loads to be had
I love JAM racing :D Yes we tried doing this at the weekend but didn't get too far and the misses was set on J-force lol!
BIG GASH Racing Developments (split through the door so when the door its open you just have GASH written along the rear 3/4).
on a more serious note, would be more than happy to help with regards to livery / logo / vinyl design
Haha that sounds very Topgear ;) would be hilarious!

That is really kind thank you very much Neil I really appreciate it and will probably take you up on that if you don't mind :)

182 track, Mk7 ST

Looks great mate! Honestly every time I see some more pictures of this I fall in love with it even more! The sound quality might not be all that but my god does that engine sound awesome through the rest of the noise ;)

And for the team name, thought of JAR Developments (JAR D) :)

Only just noticed (and thought I was going crazy) but it only has one exhaust tip on it in the pics from what I can see and one of the pics at Donny the other week it had two? Am I going crazy or have you got a different, single exit exhaust on it now?

Last edited:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Ahh I see Colin, Yes no worries am I okay to just send you the .run files as I am not sure how to export the worked data. All you will need to do is add markers in the software and then it will create lap times etc :) That would be great if you could as I am just trying to get my head around it all! I will be bringing the laptop with me to Anglesey so we can have a play at lunchtime and see how it can help :D Just got your PM give me 30 mins and I will go on the other PC and send them over :)

Yes the .run files should be ok but you will need to send them to my home email I will email them tomorrow when I get up. Pm me yours.

Looks great mate! Honestly every time I see some more pictures of this I fall in love with it even more! The sound quality might not be all that but my god does that engine sound awesome through the rest of the noise ;)

And for the team name, thought of JAR Developments (JAR D) :)

Only just noticed (and thought I was going crazy) but it only has one exhaust tip on it in the pics from what I can see and one of the pics at Donny the other week it had two? Am I going crazy or have you got a different, single exit exhaust on it now?
Thank you very much :D! Haha yes the microphone setup is awful but in real life it sounds different to any other clio out there :)

No you have noticed correctly mate :) it is the same system but one of the tips got removed at Donington as it is on a sliding system and it was rattling loose so the TDF boys have taken it off and now designed a new fixing system to hold it in place permanently :)

Yes the .run files should be ok but you will need to send them to my home email I will email them tomorrow when I get up. Pm me yours.
Okay Colin well I will send over the pictures in a minute (they aren't very interesting I will warn you ;)) and then if you drop me a message with your home email I will send over the .run files :D

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Cheers, are you up all night again ? I dont know how you get up in the morning, I didnt get up until 5pm lol

Haha no luckily not tonight :) I'm fairly quiet this week so normal hours! Still managed 6.30am this morning. It is always nice to have a lie in! Email on it's way in 2 just transferring the pic's from my PC :D

220 Trophy

Interesting, i'll let Matt know ;)QUOTE] Ha ha, whoops, hadn’t thought of that. Don’t tell Matt or he’ll powder-coat something else on my car orange!! “Motorsport” and “Team” infers there are more of you and perhaps you run a garage or team, whereas “Racing” leaves it open and would suit J. A. “Racing”, or James Ashton “Racing”. James, have you sprayed your mirrors and badges, or were they already satin black, either way they look good and suit the matt grey – would leave them as they are and just go for the orange wheels.

Yes I agree Mark I think I will go for Racing at the end and I'm really liking JAM Racing, J A Racing is good also. One of my friends suggested FF Racing (as in full fat) but i'm not too keen!

They have always been that dark anthracite but I am afraid they are changing to orange :headno: I decided the other day to go ahead with them in Orange so we will see what it looks like :) Sorry for not listening to your advice Mark but I was set on a bright colour scheme!

220 Trophy

James, it’s your car mate so do just whatever you want and feel like. My only concern with JAM Racing is that it sounds too similar to JAM Sport. J A Racing sounds good and subtle though. If you’re set on a bright colour scheme then go for it, at the end of the day it would be easy to change the colour again on the wheels and bits. Although personally as you know I’d keep it subtle, the fact that the car is matt grey the bright orange parts would really look good. Would go for non-metallic orange.

220 Trophy

….I’ve just noticed you’re from Ilkley. “Where hast thou been since I saw thee, I saw thee…. On Ilkley Moor bar t'at” (I’m originally from Huddersfield.)

Yes Mark I thought exactly the same about JAM Sport :S Yes well that was the idea it is easy enough to change if I don't like it or a sponsor expresses dissatisfaction at the colour scheme. We have gone with RAL2004 which isn't a metallic, I'm not too sure how similar it is to yours ( I hope it is similar ;))

Haha yes I am and everyone I ever speak to seems to know of Ilkley Moor Bart'at I never realised it was anything special haha :eek:

SG9 Forester STi

Car looks good in the latest picture. Like the idea of the orange wheels too!

220 Trophy

Yes Mark I thought exactly the same about JAM Sport :S Yes well that was the idea it is easy enough to change if I don't like it or a sponsor expresses dissatisfaction at the colour scheme. We have gone with RAL2004 which isn't a metallic, I'm not too sure how similar it is to yours ( I hope it is similar ;)) Haha yes I am and everyone I ever speak to seems to know of Ilkley Moor Bart'at I never realised it was anything special haha :eek:
So that’s your team name sorted and also your colour scheme. What’s next? You only want the orange’s to be similar so you can nick all my suspension bits!! Aye lad.

Golf GTD Mk7

Ha ha, whoops, hadn’t thought of that. Don’t tell Matt or he’ll powder-coat something else on my car orange!! “Motorsport” and “Team” infers there are more of you and perhaps you run a garage or team, whereas “Racing” leaves it open and would suit J. A. “Racing”, or James Ashton “Racing”. James, have you sprayed your mirrors and badges, or were they already satin black, either way they look good and suit the matt grey – would leave them as they are and just go for the orange wheels.

lol. Which unit is it in at the moment. I'm down on Saturday, so might have a sneaky look :)

So that’s your team name sorted and also your colour scheme. What’s next? You only want the orange’s to be similar so you can nick all my suspension bits!! Aye lad.
Haha ermm get driving :D Too late Mark already nicked them :p When are you collecting yours did the parts turn back up?
lol. Which unit is it in at the moment. I'm down on Saturday, so might have a sneaky look :)
I think Mark's will be at Matts unit along with mine! I just realised I totally forgot to give Matt that fuel pump cover and it must still be in my boot, Drop me a PM with your address and I'll chuck it in the post in the next couple of days :)

Golf GTD Mk7

It's ok James, i'm back down there on the 10th to pick mine up. Only dropping it off this saturday. Thought you're would have been gone by then?

Perfect well I should be collecting mine on the 8th so I will leave it with them then :) Matt is going to busy with all these clio's lol!

Golf GTD Mk7

lol yeah. He usually has a fleet sat outside. Has that silver Vee gone yet?

Haha he certainly does and he's got my trailer getting in his way also at the moment :(! Yes it has although I'm sure I saw it again in December/ January lol

Golf GTD Mk7

lol. it's part of the scenery down there.