ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

172 Race Car
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Apparently there is a 13mm connection in the forge hoses further down so going to tee into that as it's the same size as the inlet! Jay I will need coolant refill advice when I get to it pretty please ;)
will explain on bbm when your doing it

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

I fitted on of these on the bulkhead and ran the standard heater hoses up to it , mounted the heater inside so the heater pipes line up with the bulkhead pipes and just ran 2 small pipes to link it up

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=183

Here is looking into the engine bay

d2cd094f.jpg

608c97e6.jpg

And the heater box fitted in the car

f47e2a35.jpg

c2d0ca9a.jpg

d225dd1f.jpg

And the vents I cut into the dash top

668f751b.jpg

You can buy pipe and different shape and size vents from the guy selling the heaters , I think it cost about £200 ish for everything I needed

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

That's very true actually yeah, It wasn't just the screen I couldn't see out of :( My concern when looking at them the other day is where do you pipe the water inlets to? THe cooling system of the car? Sorry if thats a dumb question I'm still a newbie :eek:
I used the original water pipes (one of them I shortened and used a reducer elbow to drop the size of) to go to a bulkhead fitting that drops the size down and then from there Im just going to run some 13mm heater pipe to the heater itself.

I fitted on of these on the bulkhead and ran the standard heater hoses up to it , mounted the heater inside so the heater pipes line up with the bulkhead pipes and just ran 2 small pipes to link it up

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=183

You can buy pipe and different shape and size vents from the guy selling the heaters , I think it cost about £200 ish for everything I needed
Thanks for that Ian, those pictures are just what I needed :) Yes it totted upto £270 when I costed it up last night but that was with using different vents but I think the way you have done it is better than what I was planning with the specific windscreen vents :) Thanks again
I used the original water pipes (one of them I shortened and used a reducer elbow to drop the size of) to go to a bulkhead fitting that drops the size down and then from there Im just going to run some 13mm heater pipe to the heater itself.
Thanks Chip :) We have modified the Forge hoses so I think I will wait and look at the car when I get it back and then work out the best way of plumbing it in!

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car

My vents turn so you can aim them at specific area's , in Llandow it didn't mist up for me at all , it did for my son but he must have knocked the vent shut , that and he was doing a lot of heavy breathing trying to keep up with his old man lol

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

I love the "chav fest" action days at castle combe, always a good giggle, but Im not sure I woudl do them in an expensive car, im normally only throwing around a few grands worth of motor though so not a problem to me personally.

I like days like that as well!

Makes a change from normal trackdays and has the added danger/comedy factor!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

The storm wiper kit has now broken again for the second time. The heated screen company are saying the screen failure isn’t their fault so I am now trying to work out why it has failed as it’s not the kind of thing you want to change each time the car has been out!

thats interesting reading as its the route i was looking at, i already have the storm kit, whats the issue with it?
did the heated windscreen guy help you at all?

otherwise what ian has done looks very good, sure i could re-work that for the mk1 dashboard

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car

I know people rallying who are using heated screens and they all seem to have problems with them , so although my car has been wired up for one , I thought i'd wait and see how I get on with the heater , which I think works well so won't be fitting a heated screen now

182cup & 172 racecar

We just use the standard heater, it's been cut about a little,ie, taken all the front off so it all goes up onto the screen and weigh's nothing,simple.

Dremel and some mastic, job done, and it all fit's.

My vents turn so you can aim them at specific area's , in Llandow it didn't mist up for me at all , it did for my son but he must have knocked the vent shut , that and he was doing a lot of heavy breathing trying to keep up with his old man lol
Yeah thats what I just thought actually I could do the same and then direct them to the side windows if needed :) Haha I can imagine he was ;)
thats interesting reading as its the route i was looking at, i already have the storm kit, whats the issue with it?
did the heated windscreen guy help you at all?

otherwise what ian has done looks very good, sure i could re-work that for the mk1 dashboard
Hi mate! First issue was the wiper arm doesn't have any *grooves* so it doesn't seat into the spline and grip to it doesn't turn then it cracked :s! Now everything works but the wiper doesn't move :(

Not really unfortunately, before I even described the issue he was saying what is excluded from the warranty! He wouldn't even listen until I got shirty with him!

Yes it's a great way that he's done it :)
I know people rallying who are using heated screens and they all seem to have problems with them , so although my car has been wired up for one , I thought i'd wait and see how I get on with the heater , which I think works well so won't be fitting a heated screen now
Yeah Matt has said the same thing, If I can get them to supply another screen then I will fit it but otherwise I will just leave it in there until it cracks and will fit the heater :)
We just use the standard heater, it's been cut about a little,ie, taken all the front off so it all goes up onto the screen and weigh's nothing,simple.

Dremel and some mastic, job done, and it all fit's.
I remember you said this at Llandow I will dig through my garage on Monday and see if I can find the old heater! The only problem I can see is lot's of the heater holes were welded up I think! Thanks :)

The only problem I can see is lot's of the heater holes were welded up I think! Thanks :)

your welcome!! xxxx

with regards to the T7 mini heater unit.. a good friend of mine ran 1 in his mk2 golf... not even 2 blokes eating mcdonalds while perving at the drive thru lady could steam it up mid december

your welcome!! xxxx

with regards to the T7 mini heater unit.. a good friend of mine ran 1 in his mk2 golf... not even 2 blokes eating mcdonalds while perving at the drive thru lady could steam it up mid december
Haha I thought they were :rasp:

That sounds like a good option then what with the window sliders that make me eligible for mcdonalds drive thru's ;) See you on Sunday!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

the heater definitely sounds the right way to go, the heated screens don't sound too clever at all....
i was going to say you will have the same problem as me with regards to welding up the bulkhead, but you have already mentioned that, the wipers don't sound to clever.....hmmmm

Yes i'm not very impressed with either the screen or the company :( Yeah I'm just going to wait until I have the car back and then will have a look and work out which way to go with the heater! No I wouldn't recommend it but I know many people run them and not heard of any issues before so maybe it's just mine thats crap :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Surely you only need to get a hole cutter on the bulkhead to create a new hole on each side for the pipes to go into and then you can use the normal windscreen vent outlets, thats the way its routed on my mk1 and IIRC the shells are very similar in this area, or have I missed something?

Yeah I should be able to Chip I have never seen under the dashboard though so I'm just going off photo's from here to see how it will work! I will have a look when I'm with the car on Sunday and get a plan :)

182cup & 172 racecar

See where fancy messin gets you. ;)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i am unsure whats more annoying, the fact that the window has failed or the fact that the company you bought it from are not helping...

The company seem to be used to them failing as they seemed to have practiced their speech very well! The issue lays with the way they are made, OEM heated screens such as Ford, Land rover etc are all sealed around the edge of the screen between the two layers of glass which covers the delicate edges of the heater element so if the element is to fail then this is due to the manufacturer not sealing the edge of the screen correctly (very rare). The way heated windscreens.com work is they send the glass out with the edges unsealed which leaves the element susceptible to damage and then they instruct the installer to seal the edges with PV (the sticky sealant stuff) My installer did this thoroughly as I could tell by the way the warranty is worded it could be an issue. I then called up when it failed and they have simply said that the person installing the screen hasn't done the sealant correctly :S They don't seal them at manufacture because they know they are going to fail and then get more sales by just turning round and saying the warranty doesn't cover element failure (What does it actually cover??) Rant over :p

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i am massively going off the heated screen now tbh.....
didn't Iceman get one too?

I wouldn't bother Neil if I were you, As Chip says the side windows are still an issue so the heater should still be retained! I will let you know how I get on with trying to get a replacement out of them :)

Yes I think he did actually, Mark if your reading this then get the Heatedwindscreens.com to seal the edges and then you have some comeback ;)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

something to have a think about for sure,
such a pain not being able to work on the car / plan it at the moment

Yeah I can imagine mate :( I'm sure you'll get some progress on it soon! I'm looking forward to having mine back to tinker with :)

Yes i'm afraid so probably Mark ;) lol! I'm sure i'll manage to break something that was otherwise fine :p

Had a decent day down at FCS today :) Was really good to have a look around some other clio's! Didn't get there until nearly lunchtime as slept through my alarm but thank you to TDF for inviting me along and sending me out onto track for a few laps to try out some new changes to the cars setup! Was quite productive really, we only did a few laps but it gave me some more experience as to what changes on the car setup affects the way the car drives. The car felt alot more how I *imagine* a race car should and that was twitchy and ready to kill me at the first mistake but I found it really interesting to compare the differences and it all helps in the learning game for me :) If anyone got any photo's of the car from today I would really like to see them :) Was great to see a few familiar faces but didn't really meet any new people unfortunately but maybe next time!

The car is now back at TDF where it will they are going to make some more tweeks to the setup and try and get it bob on for Anglesey! We are going to take some springs upto the test day so hopefully we will get it handling well and then it will be my second race :)

I can't wait for the Anglesey weekend and I will not really have much to update between now and then really! Just got to order some new tyres and thinking of getting a Gopro so that I can move the camera to see my inputs and also the circuit instead of the current position (Current camera lens is too narrow)

James

WRX

Did seem to be going pretty well down Craners James!

Thanks mate :) The craners were rather daunting without knowing what the back was going to do and on cold tyres lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I cant think of another corner on any uk circuit that requires more bravery TBH than craner curves.

Haha yes I know what you mean Chip! Normally it doesn't bother me but it was the first time i've ever driven a car that was trying to kill me and I could quite easily see me spinning, rolling and hurting myself lol! It was really interesting though and a good way to learn just didn't want to bin it at such a fast corner in the process :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Thanks mate :) The craners were rather daunting without knowing what the back was going to do and on cold tyres lol!

Cold tyres phah you need to do some sprints lol :rasp:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Haha yes I know what you mean Chip! Normally it doesn't bother me but it was the first time i've ever driven a car that was trying to kill me and I could quite easily see me spinning, rolling and hurting myself lol! It was really interesting though and a good way to learn just didn't want to bin it at such a fast corner in the process :)

Exactly how I felt in the turbo!
It had way more pace than grip down there, so I had to be careful, lol

On the plus side, at least its relatively hard to actually hit a barrier there, so most likely outcome if you do get it wrong is just damaged pride, lol

Cold tyres phah you need to do some sprints lol :rasp:
Haha that is very true Colin ;) Ps just realised I totally forgot to reply to your text the other night :( Sorry
Exactly how I felt in the turbo!
It had way more pace than grip down there, so I had to be careful, lol

On the plus side, at least its relatively hard to actually hit a barrier there, so most likely outcome if you do get it wrong is just damaged pride, lol
Yes I can imagine :(! Hard to hit a barrier but i've seen so many people roll it down there when they spin by digging into the grass or gravel depending which way you spin off circuit! I could deal with damaged pride though just not the car mangled lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Yeah true, if you are unlucky enough to dig in when you hit the grass then it really is game over!

Haha probably ;) I don't mind pushing as long as I know how the car will react! Yesterday was just like a guessing game :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I know exactly what you mean, predicatable handling is definately something I strive for, even though racers seem to like cars twitchy and are quicker with them, I dont think my reactions are fast enough for that, lol