ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Nothing exciting unfortunately mate :( Just a few tweeks to various bits to get everything tied up on the car and then can focus on the suspension and setup for the rest of the year :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Still sounds good, but I was expecting you to say a Sadev or something like that, lol

Haha lol! Would be a laugh ;)

PS Thanks for the link the other day to cornering force I'm popping in to see them on Wednesday on my way back from a meeting to have a chat :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Haha lol! Would be a laugh ;)

PS Thanks for the link the other day to cornering force I'm popping in to see them on Wednesday on my way back from a meeting to have a chat :)

Cool, you are in good hands there Simon Roberts is very good at what he does.
Careful though, easy to get carried away on the spending, lol

Haha yes I can tell I will need to control myself with them lol! At the moment it's just for some pretty basic stuff but will explain all when sorted :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

You going for a bladed arb setup front and back?

182cup & 172 racecar

You going for a bladed arb setup front and back?

I've just watched their vid, very interesting. If they weren't so far away I'd pay a visit for a chat.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I wonder if French car magazine would be interested in an article about what they do with your car ash?
I did an article alongside them about making a vx220 handle amazingly well and it came out as a really good read. Plus was fun to do cause involved me test driving a supercharged Vxr round a track while getting paid for it. Lol.

Ask Simon if he would be up for it when you see him, if so if and you can get some decent pics I'd happily write it up and give it to French car mag foc just cause its so interesting. They'd be mental not to print it really and it would be good exposure for your car and his company :)

RS2'd Trophy

Great news Mark :)

Thanks James! Hope you and the car are well :)

Doubt it unfortunately mate, long way for me and the clio won't be able to make it :(

Yeah im fine thanks mate, how is your house coming on?

Thats a shame chap. Well ill catch up with you later on in the year at one of you trackdays because I havent seen it in the flesh yet! Looking forward to more pics/ vids!

James

I've just watched their vid, very interesting. If they weren't so far away I'd pay a visit for a chat.
They certainly seem to do great work! It's about the only place that is local to me so i'm going to make the most of it lol!
I wonder if French car magazine would be interested in an article about what they do with your car ash?
I did an article alongside them about making a vx220 handle amazingly well and it came out as a really good read. Plus was fun to do cause involved me test driving a supercharged Vxr round a track while getting paid for it. Lol.

Ask Simon if he would be up for it when you see him, if so if and you can get some decent pics I'd happily write it up and give it to French car mag foc just cause its so interesting. They'd be mental not to print it really and it would be good exposure for your car and his company :)
Thanks for that offer Chip very kind :) I will mention it to him!

I think it depends what we end up doing but I will keep you informed as soon as I know :) There are a few options and *could* certainly be very interesting!
Yeah im fine thanks mate, how is your house coming on?

Thats a shame chap. Well ill catch up with you later on in the year at one of you trackdays because I havent seen it in the flesh yet! Looking forward to more pics/ vids!

James
Good stuff James :)! It's not unfortunately I had a coming together with the council about something else recently and the last thing I need to stoke the fire even more! It will be on the back burner now for a few years I fear :(

Yes definitely, let me know if you end up doing Cadwell although I might come and do it in a daily rather than the clio! I've always wanted to go round there but quite fancy a trackday without all the hassle of the clio lol!

The beginnings of painting the FF Racing & Spray Shack Bonnet......so obviously i had to improve the underside, so i thought why not spray on some basic branding.....obviously its an underside of a race car bonnet so not really too much point it being to over board, few nibs here and there as its impossible to clean 100% behind the supports of the bonnet.

I wont bother wet sanding an underside of a damn bonnet, next will be the top side which will be in a different legend.

1.jpg

The grey is a custom mix we did for James to get closeish to the vinyl on the car, the orange is RAL 2004 to match plastics and wheels.

Last edited:

Out of interest James, what are you doing with your old coilovers? ;)
Not sure at the moment in a few minds as to what to do with them! Firstly need to make sure I am changing them for something else, then the options are to sell or keep as a spare set and get valved and sprung to a similar setup as what goes on the car! The new set of front's should arrive from KW soon so will be like new after I took the rear's off the other day!
The beginnings of painting the FF Racing & Spray Shack Bonnet......so obviously i had to improve the underside, so i thought why not spray on some basic branding.....obviously its an underside of a race car bonnet so not really too much point it being to over board, few nibs here and there as its impossible to clean 100% behind the supports of the bonnet.

I wont bother wet sanding an underside of a damn bonnet, next will be the top side which will be in a different legend.

The grey is a custom mix we did for James to get closeish to the vinyl on the car, the orange is RAL 2004 to match plastics and wheels.
Wow Simon that is looking epic! Can't wait to get it on the car :) Thank you once again for all your hard work on all the stuff you have done
CF Bonnet?
I wish Nick! :(

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

looks like things are coming along well, keep me informed on the citron situation if you could mate

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Do regs allow that? I thought panels had to be of the same material as original. That may of been a different series i was reading about though.

Its just the roof that has to still be original material isnt it, hence the "tin tops" branding?

Clio 172

James I might make Mallory, apart from a track day at Cadwell beginning of August nothing planned and the 26th falls on my Sunday off so I should be ok.

Its just the roof that has to still be original material isnt it, hence the "tin tops" branding?
I'm not even sure about that to be fair Chip! I don't remember reading anything that says you can't although as you say the name would imply not :)
James I might make Mallory, apart from a track day at Cadwell beginning of August nothing planned and the 26th falls on my Sunday off so I should be ok.
Perfect Andy would be good to see you there :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Lol, think it's a metaphor for them. Not the regs Chip.

Andy gallacher with the nutty 850bhp 4wd carbon fibre focus that makes ken blocks fiesta look quite tame was looking at what race series he could enter with it and IIRC it was the lack of the original shell in the roof area that was his biggest problem, so I think the metaphor might be quite an accurate one to keep spaceframe lunacy like his at bay.

Ah right, thats different from saying that the cars must have a metal roof! Well obviously space framing is a different ball game. I was more thinking about a hatchback being referred to 'Tin-Top'. I think you can fit a carbon roof still.

182cup & 172 racecar

Fook racing with a carbon roof.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Found the relevant reg with regards to the roof:

5.5 Chassis:
The standard floor pan, sills, door surrounds, bulkheads and roof

5.6. Bodywork:
With the exception of the following, no modifications are allowed to external or internal body panels, chassis, or
unitary construction:
Replacement of the front and rear wings and front body panels by lightweight material panels is permitted
providing they exactly retain the standard silhouette in side elevation. Boot lid and door panels may be replaced
by lightweight material providing they exactly retain the original standard shape and outline. Bonnet side profile
may be modified to a maximum of 120mm

So the roof and rear quarters are basically the only panels you cant lightweight.

But "tin top and sides" wouldnt have been as catchy a name, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Lol never wrong are you!

Not very often mate, not cause I know everything of course, but just cause I dont post about the things I dont know about, I see no value in incorrect information on forums at all so try my best to avoid ever being a part of it, so if I dont know I wont post and will leave it to someone who does instead.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

No mate, I havent got the time spare sadly, your best bet is Mike at MWM, he's done far more of them than me anyway when it comes to the RS2 on Clios, I've only ever done our own one and I started with one of his base maps even for that and just tweaked it slightly. So even if I had the space time TBH it wouldnt be fair for me to use his invested time to create that basemap in the first place to then use it as a starting point to map your car with and hence stop him getting the business off you.
TBH I hate doing stock ECU's and try and stick to aftermarket when I do choose to do members of the publics cars, it was only cause I cant suck my own c**k that I bothered doing my mrs one on the stock ECU, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I guess he is off the radar since he stopped coming on here much.

He's done quite a few of them at over 190bhp now though :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I'd like to think you should be seeing 155lbft for most of the rev range.
Might actually need to turn the dephasor back off at the top end though with that much static advance.

On porkies car when we went to group N timing we found that after 5250rpm we were better off with the solenoid switched back off again, so we only run it from 3K to 5.2K or so.

Good thing is it means if his dehpasor fails the only effect is the map gets a little rich under 5.2K but will still be fine on track where it really matters to him, so its a bit of a bonus from a reliability point of view effectively.

Have you already done the group N timing?
If not then get some 197 cams in at the same time ;)

It made 158lb/ft of torque without even been mapped to adjust it from the standard length RS2 to the extra, though I doubt there'll be a massive difference.

Not had the timing adjusted just yet but will be soon, recently had the cambelt done so no chance of putting the 197 cams in. What effect will that have anyways?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I think the 197 cams will cause a slight dip in torque at the bottom end and a slight raise at the top end as they are slightly hotter, but hopefully the effect will be mild enough that the extra power will be useful on track without ruining the driveability on the road.
As luck would have it my mrs cambelt failed recently, so Im going to do it on 197 cams on group n timing when I put it back together, annoying thing is though I didnt roller it before hand, but I know very well what it drove like so although I wont have definitive figures to post, I will be able to satisfy my own curiosity.

Ah right cool cool about the 197 cams, the car will be a racecar when the tax runs out so drivability isn't a problem as such. Though do like the amount of torque it provides at such low rpm with the RS2 so wouldn't want to loose much of that.

Sorry to hear about the engine, though it may be a blessing in disguise once youve done all the work!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Ah right cool cool about the 197 cams, the car will be a racecar when the tax runs out so drivability isn't a problem as such. Though do like the amount of torque it provides at such low rpm with the RS2 so wouldn't want to loose much of that.
I think for a racecar I would just go bodies TBH if the rules allow? but it will be interesting to see how you get on with the RS2, certainly makes for an easy car to drive quickly.

Sorry to hear about the engine, though it may be a blessing in disguise once youve done all the work!

Nothing to be sorry about mate, the week before it let go i'd just ordered up a new head gasket, a set of supertech valves (got them at same time as Mike was ordering some to save on postage), some arp rod bolts, some arp head studs, a new cambelt and a new aux belt for it and bought the 197 cams and was planning on taking it off the road after CSS but before our ring trip in october to do all the work on it, so only difference is that I now have to do it slightly sooner, literally hasnt cost us a penny as every single thing we need to replace we already had bought.
Have gone for a 182 manifold as well at the same time and a sports cat so its MOT legal.
Just deciding wether or not to throw a set of rings into it too as Ive got a set spare on the shelf that I was going to use in my turbo at some point but could whack them in this instead I guess as it will be so trivial to do, but the old ones seem fine so cant decide.