ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Nick you done a build thread?

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Lol! Tried and tested! (140mph and the generic 'kick' test!) ;)

Done the rear bumper?
Haha I appreciate the research and development mate ;)

No not yet I doubt I will, nearly killed myself with the dremel doing the front lol!
I have some 'interesting' new coming in the next couple of days! ;)
Oooo sounds exciting :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Autographs available upon request ;)

cool, sign a company cheque and fire it over to me please then mate, dont worry about the other details, I will fill those out when it arrives ;)

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Nah cant be arsed this time Mike, though I have some 'interesting' new coming in the next couple of days! ;)
Keep us updated - maybe got us a pay rise. Next race! LOL

Both rear wheel bearing gone again :S Managed to find the SNR bearings (Same used on gen disc's) for £40 a pair so going to buy a couple of sets and a press and do them myself! They need changing everytime the car gets used for some reason and can't keep wasting money on new disc's that I don't need. The only thing I can think is it's the stub axle's so I have two near perfect condition one's to fit tomorrow and if that doesn't do it then will have to shell out and buy new one's from Renault.

Still no news on the suspension but not looking likely to be sorted for Mallory so going to have to re-assess what to do!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

You get through wheel bearings like Daniel gets through boxes of kleenex, it really is totally bizarre, especially considering how little weight is in the back of the car, they normally last fecking ages on the back.

Yeah I did mine when I bought the car and 2 years of track abuse and a road trip to the 'ring they're still fine.
Weird

BMW Z4

Fit the 182 stubs ash I am sure it will be fine then unless youre running silly camber on the rear or something?

Yeah it is all really odd, a few people I have spoken with have suggested it's because of how soft the suspension is so it's always really loading them up. As Mark say's though it could be down to the 172 stub's on instead of the 182's so will put it all back together when some parts arrive and see what happens :) No Mark we have always run stock camber until Anglesey and then have run a 1 degree shim!

BMW Z4

i took my ARB off and the shims out as the arse was really twitchy and I didn't like it. I like a solid tight planted arse myself

182cup & 172 racecar

Camber or toe out shims Mark?

i took my ARB off and the shims out as the arse was really twitchy and I didn't like it. I like a solid tight planted arse myself
I'm sure you do Mark :p I thought about taking my ARB off tonight but I have left it on although dis-connected so I can play around with it if needs be! I have taken the camber shims out though so now back to standard

182cup & 172 racecar

I'm thinking about putting ours back in, as the outside of the rears were a little worn after Anglesey.

I'm thinking about putting ours back in, as the outside of the rears were a little worn after Anglesey.
Just checked mine and mine wore very well on the rears at Anglesey so maybe should of checked that before I removed them lol :eek:

BMW Z4

No Shims in mine at the moment.

Bit of an update:

Unfortunately I have had to work out the best way forwards with the car from Anglesey. There is only a limited pot of money for the car and this will cover either the racing or working on the car (namely the suspension) and unfortunately not both. So I have had to make the decision that I won't be racing at Mallory and most likely Donington too. It's a shame but we will be back out at either Donington or Oulton and should be on much better footings to do well! Plenty of exciting work will happen in the meantime and the car will undergo lot's of testing! Thanks for the support as ever and here's to a radically different car from September onwards!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Without doubt the right decision for you mate. :)

Yeah just read this on twitter - bit gutted as I was looking forward to seeing it out at Mallory - but clearly the issues you've had need to be resolved as they seem to be core problems with the car. It's not worth throwing money away constantly braking down at race events

Best of luck - hope the new setup works out for you :D

Without doubt the right decision for you mate. :)
Thanks Chip, its taken me long enough to make my mind up lol!
Yeah just read this on twitter - bit gutted as I was looking forward to seeing it out at Mallory - but clearly the issues you've had need to be resolved as they seem to be core problems with the car. It's not worth throwing money away constantly braking down at race events

Best of luck - hope the new setup works out for you :D
Yeah sorry Phil I was really looking forward to Mallory and especially Donington as it's my favourite circuit but I think it's for the best and will be good to still get another race in this year to see what needs to be done over the winter with the re-build.

Thanks mate :) Let me know if you get Blyton booked as said before more than happy to help with anything I can!

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Most likely the hardest thing to do is not to race.
Takes more of an effort to say that and hopefully things will work out!

Hopefully see you at Mallory without your car.

Good luck!!

Thanks Mike, Yes I certainly haven't taken the decision likely but if I continued racing it would never improve so hopefully I have calculated everything right and should be better for one last race at the end of the season :)

Yes I will be coming to either Mallory or Donny to watch so will look forward to seeing you then!

Thanks mate :) Let me know if you get Blyton booked as said before more than happy to help with anything I can!

Cheers mate

A few people I know are doing a day at Blyton on the 29th september so think I'm gonna book that. Getting some R888's fitted first week in September so going to use Blyton as a day to play with the suspension a bit and the rear ARB and get a feel for the car on sticky rubber
Javelin are doing days at Donington now and they've got a 30th october day for only £139 - so think I'm going to book that too as the last day out in the Clio this year. Taking it off road for 6 months to save on Tax and swap the Bilsteins for something else. Fit some 4 pots etc..

This year just seems to have flown by - I had plans to get into a proper sprint series but seem to have spent all my time building the car lol. Oh well 2013 should be good :D

Sounds good Phil :) Gosh that day at Donington is cheap! Will probably do that as my last one of the year aswell seen as how I doubt i'm going to race there.

Very nice yes it can take ages can't it to get right! I'm sure you'll have it all sorted for next year :)

Golf GTD Mk7

Gutted mate. Fingers crossed you find a setup which is a little less abusive :)

Noticed my rear DS is leaking grease yesterday after Oulton, no play as yet, but it's only a matter of time. OE bearings should be fine though.

Thanks Jonny, yes i'm hoping so and I'm pretty confident we will :)

They really are such a pain! Mine must get really hot as they weld themselves onto the stub axle and the bearing into the disc, took nearly 23 ton's of pressure to get one of the bearings out the other day! I got two SNR bearings from ECP for £40 the other day so much cheaper than Renault or new discs if that helps mate :)

Golf GTD Mk7

what's the code for them from ECP mate?

Sorry mate i'm not too sure as I apparently ordered the one's for rear drums lol! Also don't have the box although they came in an SKF box but were SNR bearings

Thanks Tony :) Yes definitely that's whats given me a bit more confidence now! Can't wait for Anglesey and going to try and do a few laps at the weekend at Donny (FCS) to test the new setup and if needed then whiz upto Teeside for a few hours :)

Sounds good Phil :) Gosh that day at Donington is cheap! Will probably do that as my last one of the year aswell seen as how I doubt i'm going to race there.

Very nice yes it can take ages can't it to get right! I'm sure you'll have it all sorted for next year :)

Yeah it's VERY cheap and after doing Donington at FCS I'm a bit hooked. Superb circuit

Golf GTD Mk7

Sorry mate i'm not too sure as I apparently ordered the one's for rear drums lol! Also don't have the box although they came in an SKF box but were SNR bearings

So are they the right ones then? Usually they give you an invoice even when you pay cash ;)

Yeah it's VERY cheap and after doing Donington at FCS I'm a bit hooked. Superb circuit
Certainly is :)
So are they the right ones then? Usually they give you an invoice even when you pay cash ;)
Sorry for the confusion mate, No the one's I ordered were part number 628745120 but then when I got there they told me they were for drums and instead gave me an SKF box that had the correct one in that was SNR. Sorry pal don't have the invoice