ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Haha yes mate its either working on the car or can't sleep due to thinking about the damn thing ;)

Yes exactly mate it is turning into a money pit! I'm really confident that once it's had the rebuild next year should be a lot more plain sailing which is why i'm tempted to call it a day for this year.

Haha don't tempt me :rasp: I really fancy some biscuits!

Cup In bits
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Im the same when im at home, work on the thing by day and think by night. Recipe for little sleep.

I don't want to jinx things but at least it seem's to be smaller parts going and not engines,g/boxes etc. It could be worse, bugger about the suspension but that will get sorted FOC I would think.

BISCUITS...mmmmmm. Me too, Id hapilly swap my car for some of those just now. Stuck in the middle of a desert for a month with no sweets etc, I could kill for some.

340i

I've got two packs of biscuits in the cupboard... I can see a deal forming here... hmm 2 Clios, there's a thought.

(Another person who cannot sleep :()

182cup & 172 racecar

Morning all.

I said before James, forget this year, and get all the little jobs done.

Bugger taking it to the Ring and Spa, how far do you think you would actually get with the way it is atm.?

Cup In bits

I've got two packs of biscuits in the cupboard... I can see a deal forming here... hmm 2 Clios, there's a thought.

SOLD, you cover the postage! :rasp:

BMW Z4

Haha yes mate its either working on the car or can't sleep due to thinking about the damn thing ;)

Yes exactly mate it is turning into a money pit! I'm really confident that once it's had the rebuild next year should be a lot more plain sailing which is why i'm tempted to call it a day for this year.

Haha don't tempt me :rasp: I really fancy some biscuits!

Mate like me you passed that point months ago, it's all downhill to bankruptcy from now on buddy.. In saying that for the first time I only have small jobs to do on mine before Snett in October woot...

172 Race Car

Why risk taking it to the ring and spa in its current state of having a paddy every time u use it. You'll end up towing a dead donkey around all week and become a spectator.

If you really want to go and have 100% reliability you need to buy this.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayIS...k_rvr_id=381439443842&clk_rvr_id=381439443842

Its a lovely car and will not go wrong on you. do your ring/spa trip and sell it when u get back.

Lisa and Tobys old car btw

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

So he's got a shock that has a manufacturing fault and that means he should cancel his holiday?
Wtf?

Same thing could happen to a new shock fitted over winter, just replace it and use the car IMHO.

I'd get the current play problem fixed before you start the rebuild/refresh. That way you won't finish the rebuild only to still have the same problem.

Was it both dampers or just one?

You are more than capable of working on the brakes. The only thing I'd say is be careful not to get air above the ABS pump as it will be very difficult to get out without the renault clip/tool to help.

172 Race Car

So he's got a shock that has a manufacturing fault and that means he should cancel his holiday?
Wtf?

Same thing could happen to a new shock fitted over winter, just replace it and use the car IMHO.
now where the f**k did i say he should cancel his holiday. Read what i wrote again you knob. It isnt just one shock problem. The car has lots of things wrong. And for the lasr 12 months hasnt managed more than 8 laps in a row without something breaking or going wrong. it needs to be checked over properly and tested. We had many problems with our car over the first year (not to this extent) but now we put fuel in it and clean the screen. No reason James cant get his to that state. I want him to enjoy his holiday, not have a load of grief.

Tosser

I'm sorry but I agree with Jay/Tony on this one

Looking at all the bodged crap on that car from previous builders, I'd forget this year and start stripping it down
You've only got 2 weeks till Donington and you've got a PAS pipe about to crack, knackered front shocks again, no working ABS system (and god knows how long that braking system will actually keep working). There's too many cheap bodges on it for my liking

Just my 2p :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

now where the f**k did i say he should cancel his holiday.

Where was my comment aimed at you which has you throwing a tantrum at me? Wasn't even talkin to you!

Read what i wrote again you knob.
I read you saying buy a backup car, seemed reasonable to me if he has the cash and the space to store it

It isnt just one shock problem. The car has lots of things wrong. And for the lasr 12 months hasnt managed more than 8 laps in a row without something breaking or going wrong. it needs to be checked over properly and tested. We had many problems with our car over the first year (not to this extent) but now we put fuel in it and clean the screen. No reason James cant get his to that state. I want him to enjoy his holiday, not have a load of grief.

Two days of Relaxed open pit lane sounds perfectly fine for development to me tbh, would have thought it would help if he does go tbh providing he sorts the things he knows are wrong first of course. Will give him chance to find some new problems to solve.

You really are a bit sad at times jay. Shame cause you seemed pleasant enough at llandow.

Im the same when im at home, work on the thing by day and think by night. Recipe for little sleep.

I don't want to jinx things but at least it seem's to be smaller parts going and not engines,g/boxes etc. It could be worse, bugger about the suspension but that will get sorted FOC I would think.

BISCUITS...mmmmmm. Me too, Id hapilly swap my car for some of those just now. Stuck in the middle of a desert for a month with no sweets etc, I could kill for some.
Yes it certainly is isn't it :(

Yes that is true but we had the gearbox issue and it's only a matter of time till it goes into the wrong gear with the linkage how it is and then it's bye bye to the engine! Yes it certainly will be otherwise they would be having it back permanently lol!

Ah jeez thats sucks would be the first thing I would pack ;)

Haha lol :) Oh the amount of biscuits I could of bought!
Morning all.

I said before James, forget this year, and get all the little jobs done.

Bugger taking it to the Ring and Spa, how far do you think you would actually get with the way it is atm.?
Yes mate I think you are right and that is what i'm leaning towards but just got some reservations and really want to be out enjoying the car!

Yes very true :dapprove:
Mate like me you passed that point months ago, it's all downhill to bankruptcy from now on buddy.. In saying that for the first time I only have small jobs to do on mine before Snett in October woot...
Haha great I look forward to that Mark ;) Very jealous!
Why risk taking it to the ring and spa in its current state of having a paddy every time u use it. You'll end up towing a dead donkey around all week and become a spectator.

If you really want to go and have 100% reliability you need to buy this.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayIS...k_rvr_id=381439443842&clk_rvr_id=381439443842

Its a lovely car and will not go wrong on you. do your ring/spa trip and sell it when u get back.

Lisa and Tobys old car btw
Thats the problem the chances of it working are slim!

Haha I wish I could just buy some thing else but unfortunately that isn't possible :( It does look like a very well prepped car!
Wtf?

If it was just the shock then it wouldn't be an issue mate but the PAS pipe is leaking and looks like it will fracture at some point, one rear brake is doing most of the cars braking for some unknown reason, Oil is leaking from the oil cooler that is corroding and a few other things so its just weather its worth bodging it tougher for a month or so or just call it a day for this season and start re-doing it properly.

I really want to do the donny race though and the spa/ring trip :(
I'd get the current play problem fixed before you start the rebuild/refresh. That way you won't finish the rebuild only to still have the same problem.

Was it both dampers or just one?

You are more than capable of working on the brakes. The only thing I'd say is be careful not to get air above the ABS pump as it will be very difficult to get out without the renault clip/tool to help.
Yes Mark I see what your saying but over winter the wheel bearings and driveshafts will be changed and then I know that nothing else can be at fault. One was bad the other i'm not too sure about but they are en-route to AST as we speak to get sorted :)

Yes its just running new brake lines and making them that I'm dubious about, The ABS pump will be getting sacked off anyway so that isn't an issue :)

I'm sorry but I agree with Jay/Tony on this one

Looking at all the bodged crap on that car from previous builders, I'd forget this year and start stripping it down
You've only got 2 weeks till Donington and you've got a PAS pipe about to crack, knackered front shocks again, no working ABS system (and god knows how long that braking system will actually keep working). There's too many cheap bodges on it for my liking

Just my 2p :(
Aye I know its the 'correct' thing to do but it's not what I want to do if you know what I mean

Yeah I FULLY do mate - the amount of money spent building that car you want to enjoy it
I'm in a similar boat - the sensible thing for me to do would be to buy a 2nd car ready for winter and start planning next year. But instead I'm spending money on tyres and brakes and trying to push to get to Donington next month. Purely because after flushing £10k on a Clio build it'd be nice to use it occasionally lol

I hope you get it running in time for Donington and I hope you get at least one uneventful day out of it :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

I simply do not understand why this car is so unreliable!!!? Was it not essentially built from scratch by TDF?

Mine has done 186k miles, is 99% reliable, whilst being maintained soley by myself & 3 other incompetent f*ckwits.

Wanna borrow it? I only charge £500 a day rental ;)

Yeah I FULLY do mate - the amount of money spent building that car you want to enjoy it
I'm in a similar boat - the sensible thing for me to do would be to buy a 2nd car ready for winter and start planning next year. But instead I'm spending money on tyres and brakes and trying to push to get to Donington next month. Purely because after flushing £10k on a Clio build it'd be nice to use it occasionally lol

I hope you get it running in time for Donington and I hope you get at least one uneventful day out of it :)
Yes exactly mate same predicament as me! Wow I didn't realise you had spent so much but it all add's up quickly doesn't it!

Thanks i'm leaning away from doing it to be fair but we'll see!
I simply do not understand why this car is so unreliable!!!? Was it not essentially built from scratch by TDF?

Mine has done 186k miles, is 99% reliable, whilst being maintained soley by myself & 3 other incompetent f*ckwits.

Me neither Dave but I am just forgetting what has gone and focusing on getting it sorted :) I am confident that after I have re-built it with various new bits and changes it will be much better and will get the full season out of it!

Haha lol! Thanks for the offer ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Feel free to leave it down in Chertsey for a couple of weeks and FailSport will get it up & running perfectly in no time ...

Although to be fair, we probably need to build Nick & Ollie's car 1st really :drunk:

Haha that would be awesome lol!

Can't wait to see their car :)

You managed to persuade yourself to come racing yet? ;)

182cup & 172 racecar

LOL, " out my way, I'm Sir Dave you know".

I say the same thing to him every time I see him. Mine's built all by me (with the exception of roll cage welding) in my garage, it's done 116k and was abused by you before I got it. Every track day it goes out all day, gets ragged and then still drives me home. No problems at all other than the shitty Bilsteins.

I'd expect a LOT more from a "doesn't get much better than this" paid-for build. But that's all behind him now and it's got huge potential.

Yes exactly mate same predicament as me! Wow I didn't realise you had spent so much but it all add's up quickly doesn't it!

Thanks i'm leaning away from doing it to be fair but we'll see!

It's rediculous how quickly it adds up. £2k on bodies, £500 remap, £1k on a cage, £600 on brakes, £900 on coilovers - and that's just the big stuff. 2 years into a build when you sit down and look at the spreadsheet of parts it makes me feel sick lol
There's a lot of other cars I could have bought with the money but to be fair when the Clio is on track nothing makes me smile more :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

You managed to persuade yourself to come racing yet? ;)

LOL, " out my way, I'm Sir Dave you know".

lol, was very tempted, but sensible head says no unfortunately. Need to buy a house 1st really ... Might do my licence at some point though, just in case Ollie/Nick get ill the day before a race, etc. That way, they build/pay for the car, & i get to drive it.

PS. Might not have mentioned this idea to them, but they're in France, so i dont care.

Oh, and dont worry Phil, i didnt really abuse the cup that much ;)

LOL Whatever you did worked. 118k on the original gearbox and shafts - still pulls like a steam train
Abused FTW!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

James, what's the full list of stuff to do mate?

Pas pipe iirc you can use a valver one, 80 quid from Renault.
Shocks remove and send off is minutes, same for refitting.
Brake lines just pay Fred to do it so it's done right?
Oil cooler only 200 quid with fittings and a couple hours to fit.

Anything else?

Really doesn't sound like much tbh.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

LOL Whatever you did worked. 118k on the original gearbox and shafts - still pulls like a steam train
Abused FTW!

lol, im clearly a car's best friend ... the Trophy (on 186k) is currently on the original engine, gearbox and clutch!!

Still pushes out 175bhp at the fly and goes like a scolded cat.

The more miles they have, the better they run ;)

Anything else?

Honestly - tip of the iceberg. If I had a quid for every cable tie on the car I'd be able to build one myself lol

It's rediculous how quickly it adds up. £2k on bodies, £500 remap, £1k on a cage, £600 on brakes, £900 on coilovers - and that's just the big stuff. 2 years into a build when you sit down and look at the spreadsheet of parts it makes me feel sick lol
There's a lot of other cars I could have bought with the money but to be fair when the Clio is on track nothing makes me smile more :)
Haha mate you want to see my excel document so far and the one for winter :dead:

Yes exactly! :)
lol, was very tempted, but sensible head says no unfortunately. Need to buy a house 1st really ... Might do my licence at some point though, just in case Ollie/Nick get ill the day before a race, etc. That way, they build/pay for the car, & i get to drive it.

PS. Might not have mentioned this idea to them, but they're in France, so i dont care.

Yes that's fair enough and as you say the licence comes in handy! Haha nice thinking ;)

Anything else?

Yes mate there isn't that much to do but I am away from Monday for a week and the car needed to be done and ready to race before I go away as I have got to test/setup before the race day. The suspension won't arrive back until i'm on holiday so it can't get back on the ground to go for brakes doing. Its all money that is wasted as I could do the brakes over winter when the engine is out with more space to play with. No one can even replace the master cylinder as you can't move the engine forward due to the big radiator so its rad out at least and its just going to be paying to do jobs that I will be doing over winter anyway. Same with the PAS as the pipe will never be used again as the car will be getting saxo system over winter so it would just be a waste of money.

The oil cooler will be getting changed to a different type over winter which requires the rad changing (doing that anyway) so I would have to buy a different type just to do Donington and then it would be wasted :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Honestly - tip of the iceberg. If I had a quid for every cable tie on the car I'd be able to build one myself lol

:S

Seemed ok at llandow TBH, I find it hard to believe its quite the rolling wreck you make out.

Surely cant take someone like Fred more than a few days to sort all the issues, its not like these are massively complicated cars or anything?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Yes mate there isn't that much to do but I am away from Monday for a week and the car needed to be done and ready to race before I go away as I have got to test/setup before the race day. The suspension won't arrive back until i'm on holiday so it can't get back on the ground to go for brakes doing. Its all money that is wasted as I could do the brakes over winter when the engine is out with more space to play with. No one can even replace the master cylinder as you can't move the engine forward due to the big radiator so its rad out at least and its just going to be paying to do jobs that I will be doing over winter anyway. Same with the PAS as the pipe will never be used again as the car will be getting saxo system over winter so it would just be a waste of money.

The oil cooler will be getting changed to a different type over winter which requires the rad changing (doing that anyway) so I would have to buy a different type just to do Donington and then it would be wasted :(

Doing jobs twice is definitely money badly spent, sounds like perhaps tony and phil etc are right that you would be better off giving up for this year then after all :(

Doing jobs twice is definitely money badly spent, sounds like perhaps tony and phil etc are right that you would be better off giving up for this year then after all :(
Yes it's just unfortunate and while I think I have the will power to re-build the car over winter I don't think I could spend time and money now to then just rip it back out and re-do in a month or so time :(

If the brakes weren't dangerous and the PAS didn't look like it was going to blow then I would risk it but it's just not worth it after all the wasted money this year! I think it sounds like i'm talking myself into it! Properly gutted :cry:

I would have probably done it 6 months ago but just can't afford to be wasting money at the moment :(

330i. E30 Touring.

I'm with Dave.

Shame you're not closer mate. I'd happily give up a few evenings/Saturdays to help out wherever possible.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Yes it's just unfortunate and while I think I have the will power to re-build the car over winter I don't think I could spend time and money now to then just rip it back out and re-do in a month or so time :(

If the brakes weren't dangerous and the PAS didn't look like it was going to blow then I would risk it but it's just not worth it after all the wasted money this year! I think it sounds like i'm talking myself into it! Properly gutted :cry:

I would have probably done it 6 months ago but just can't afford to be wasting money at the moment :(

Brake lines only need doing once, so if you did them now you wouldnt have to redo them (or like I said, better still pay someone like Fred) and you could always just fit a secondhand PAS pipe for now (budgie has a load no doubt, lol)

Whats the script with the oil cooler though, is it the cooler itself leaking or just the pipes?

I'm with Dave.

Shame you're not closer mate. I'd happily give up a few evenings/Saturdays to help out wherever possible.
Ohh thanks Mike that is really kind and I really appreciate it! Other people have offered the same and its so kind of you all :) I will get sorted though just need time and funds as ever!

Brake lines only need doing once, so if you did them now you wouldnt have to redo them (or like I said, better still pay someone like Fred) and you could always just fit a secondhand PAS pipe for now (budgie has a load no doubt, lol)

Whats the script with the oil cooler though, is it the cooler itself leaking or just the pipes?
Yes they do but ideally the engine needs be out to change the master cylinder and get the access do to the current layout. Yeah that is true but once again not the foggiest where to start :( I don't mind experimenting with stuff when I have the time but really don't have long to get it sorted!

The oil seems to be weeping from the actual rad then going through the coolant rad/fan and covering the engine bay lol! It's also weeping from the connections on the sandwich plate which it's never done before!

330i. E30 Touring.

I think i have got a PAS pipe or two kicking about if you need it..

If you had all the parts I reckon a ClioSport meet at your garage is required - get it all done.

I'd offer to put you on as 2nd driver on mine so you can have a play at Donington, but seeing how you take the S put me off a bit ;) LOL

If you had all the parts I reckon a ClioSport meet at your garage is required - get it all done.

I'd offer to put you on as 2nd driver on mine so you can have a play at Donington, but seeing how you take the S put me off a bit ;) LOL
Haha lol would be funny!

Haha very kind but I wouldn't recommend that with my bad luck who knows what would happen lol ;)

four-leaf_clover2_product_page.jpg