ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Hahahaha hell yes. It's good to get the Clio out every so often and remind myself how much I love those throttle bodies hehe

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

ITBs suck.

PSI FTW
(but only when the regs allow, lol)
Lol I disagree but can see the advantages if you like faffing ;) I personally would just go out and buy a turbo/supercharged car but then I guess that means I should of just gone out and bought a race car lol!
Sounds like you had an interesting night. I'm looking forward to the update.
Yes it was bad but got some positives. Hopefully will get time tonight to sort it :) See you on Sunday!

Clio 172

I feel disappointed I didn't come down on Wednesday now especially as the missus worked most of the day and we didn't really get to go out and eat till 9pm. Ahh well yest again there is always next time.

Don't worry Andy the car was on the trailer by 6.15 lol! I'm never going to give up so there will always be next time :)

General Update and Donington Trackday evening:

So Since Anglesey a lot had been going on behind the scenes and I was trying to sort out new suspension. I made the decision about 2 weeks ago to go with the AST sportline 2’s and Josh from Cooksport got these delivered to me direct from AST to save time as he knew I was wanting them urgently and he was really helpful. Unfortunately a few bits didn’t arrive with the coilovers so took a few days to end up with all the right bits but have to give it to Josh he pulled out all the stops to ensure I got sorted ASAP and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him.

Once everything arrived I got on with fitting the kit which is where I came across my first issue, the KW’s that were coming off had a different diameter thread so the bushes and nut’s wouldn’t transfer over and I didn’t have a set of standard items to fit. (Thanks to Jay for making me realise what the issue was)It was late on a Friday afternoon and with the car booked in for setup on the Monday morning I was just trying to get them to fit. Trying to work out what nut they needed was a mission in itself and turns out the are metric fine thread with a very fine (0.75mm pitch I think it was) I couldn’t find one for love nor money but then luckily Kat at Renparts returned my call and said they had a set of the bushes and nuts but had missed the post for Saturday. I had 1hr 30 until they shut and it is a 1hr 30 journey so it was time once again for me to get my toe down. Luckily got there just in time complete with AST coilover to test they were correct.

file-6.jpg

Then upon returning home I proceeded to fit the suspension but when I had fit the fronts there was play in the wheels. I swapped the TRE’s, knackered the ball joint while trying to check it but then realised it was the bearing in the top mount that had been vibrated to death from the knackered H+R’s at Anglesey. This was an issue as the car was booked in for geo on Monday morning and then I was busy until the trackday so would have had no time to get sorted. I left Pure a message and they kindly retuned my call first thing Monday to say they could ship some out to me special delivery. Kindly one of my friends offered to get them delivered there then he would fit them into the top mounts and drop them off for me at home ready for me to get home Tuesday night, fit them and take it for geo en-route to Donny. All went to plan thankfully and went about fitting them when I realised that the I.D of the Pure top mount spacer is different to the diameter of the AST strut. It was 5 to 5 on the Tuesday so I went to my local precision engineer and pleaded with him to machine me up some metal bushes to correct the I.D issue. Thankfully a crate of beer was a good persuader and I got sorted and went back home and fit the front suspension.

file-4.jpg
file-5.jpg
file-3.jpg
file-2.jpg

I gave the wheels a wobble in the 12-6 position and no play so was relieved then just casually checked 3-9 position and still had play! I was gutted, by this point I had replaced the TRE’s, Ball joints, top bearings so all it could have been was either the rack or the inner tie rod’s sure enough when I stripped back the gaiter it was the tie rod’s. Nothing could describe how I felt after all the time I had put in to get the car ready. I called Fred at nearly 10pm and woke him up :( sorry mate! He was frankly awesome and offered to squeeze me in on Wednesday and then if we had time to spare then we would go and get the alignment done before the trackday and he would also do the corner weighting.

So I got the car all packed up all with associated gear for the trackday. Managed to get about 2 hours sleep before setting off to Birmingham.

file-1.jpg

The parts were already waiting when I arrived with the car and Fred got cracking :) It was great to meet Fred, Sam and Zoltan and they really did save the day. By the time I had finished chatting away it was too late to safely get to Warwick and get the alignment done so Fred offered to do what he could just by sight and to say I was not optimistic was an understatement. I said I wanted the front to be fairly parallel and sure enough following a short test drive it was remarkable how good it felt! We quickly put the car on the scales to check cornerweights and it was well within what it needed to be but the total weight including me was 1130kg which is scarily heavy and going to have to work on the car’s and my weight over winter.

file.jpg

Tony had kindly offered to come upto Donington to help out for the evening and when I explained I hadn’t managed to get the alignment done he very kindly managed to blag some alignment gauges (What a legend!) So I got on my way to Donington to get a garage so that we had a level surface to work on setup.

Upon arrival I met up with Phil, Mark and Ian who had come along to say hi and was good to see everyone so thanks for coming! Then Tony, Sam, Fred and Zoltan arrived so I got on with unloading the car and then going for the briefing. Just before going out on the sighting laps Fred noticed that I hadn’t torqued up the TRE’s to the correct amount so he kindly sorted that and then I went out to get a feel for the car. The sighting laps were very slow but the car felt good and nothing fell off which is always a bonus with this car ;)

I didn’t bother finishing all the sighting laps and just pulled in to then check over the car quickly. I went out and did a couple of lap runs to get some heat into the tyres but kept getting broken up with red flags. People weren’t moving out of the way which was proving frustrating so I decided that the racing cars that weren’t moving could just be overtaken and then I was been courteous to the trackday folk. I was suffering a slight vibration at high engine speeds which we think could be engine/box mounts as there is also a thud when the car engages first gear. The car was also having an issue with the brake servo and pulling very hard to the left under braking so I was trying not to brake too hard. I came back in for a quick check over when another red flag was thrown and then Fred said go and give it some so I wound it up and the car felt epic compared to how it used to, the additional speed I could take through the corners was just awesome and this was before we had worked on camber, tyre pressures, toe, me finding the limits etc. I managed one lap with only a little traffic and managed a 1:24.9 which is 4.8 seconds faster than my best when I last visited Donington in the car :) I only realised the laptime the day after the trackday as I was having dash issues on the day. Unfortunately me getting the car screaming along caused me to be black flagged at the end of my first flying lap for noise and I wasn’t allowed back on. The car went straight on the trailer and was loaded up less than 20 mins after the circuit had gone open pit! Fred and Sam began to try and modify the exhaust to make it quieter and I was going to try and electronically drop the rev limit but after speaking to the TDO’s they were not going to let me back out no matter what we did so 1 flying lap later and it was day over! I was livid and really gutted after all the hard work I had put in to get the car there.

We then went off and had a mcyd’s to call it a night! Deep down while been gutted I knew that the car was vastly better (Didn’t realise nearly 5 seconds quicker)

The following day when I looked through the video and data I saw the laptime and was over the moon and while I didn’t get much seat time all the hard work was worth it for me as we took a huge step forward in laptime. I am now confident that once I work on the setup and do more than one lap then I can do even better so it is looking much more positive.

I have got to thank Pure motorsport, Cooksport, Renparts and most importantly BTM because the car would not have been at Donington without them saving the day at the last minute. Also big thanks to Tony as always for just been generally awesome and always been on hand! Without the help and support from all the above and also lot’s of other members I doubt I would still be keeping going with this car after all the problems I have had with the car so thank you!

Even though the car only did 19 minutes track time I will do a full re-prep and need to fix a leaking PAS pipe, Leaking oil filter, braking issue and the high speed vibration. I am fairly sure I am going to enter Donington and also do a test the day before but need to just assess the finances as it’s been a very expensive couple of weeks!

Thanks as always for ready and sorry for it been such a long read ;) I’m sure I’ve still forgotten some stuff lol

Below is the only video I got as I forgot to turn it on for the quick lap and then obviously the day was over! Phil very kindly took some photo's so i'm looking forward to seeing them although I imagine they are limited in quantity due to such little track time lol!

[video=youtube_share;KaysZcfNwJ8]http://youtu.be/KaysZcfNwJ8[/video]

Cup In bits

Never easy is it, always something comes up to throw a spanner in the works.

Car looks really planted there mate, very little steering input, look forward to seeing your next video with full attack. How did your time compare to Burpspeed's best lap round Donny out of interest.

Yes exactly mate :(

Thank you yes it feels remarkably different and feels like it has got a lot more time to come :) I'm not 100% to be fair i'm sure Tony said they were in the 23's but for now i'm trying to focus on improving it against what I had rather than trying to compare against others! I have got something that is really workable so am over the moon and now need to hope the car can be reliable to get some testing under my belt :)

Hope yours is coming along well :)

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Good write up James. Abit late but hell you've been through a tough month.

Now doing the work yourself hopefully will make up for the start to your year!

See you Sunday!

Thanks Mike :) Cheeky git... I only got home on Thursday night lol :rasp: Haha thanks!

Yes we will see I am learning fairly quickly but i'm sure I will make many mistakes along the way lol!

Aye i'm looking forward to it :)

Lionel Richie

quite a few spots there you can be braver (right hander at 1.33 on) we'll get you into the low 1.23's ;)

Lionel Richie

everyone does, you think its alot slower than it is, its a lift, little dab with the left, turn then POWER and hope you don't end up on the grass on the left

Shame we didn't manage the full evening as could of got some good running in :( Will remember that for next time tho lol will blame you if I get grass in my gear selector ;)

Cup In bits

Yes exactly mate :(

Thank you yes it feels remarkably different and feels like it has got a lot more time to come :) I'm not 100% to be fair i'm sure Tony said they were in the 23's but for now i'm trying to focus on improving it against what I had rather than trying to compare against others! I have got something that is really workable so am over the moon and now need to hope the car can be reliable to get some testing under my belt :)

Hope yours is coming along well :)

My progress is non existent I'm afraid but in my month at home I hope to have it starting and driving atleast.

Yeah for sure about the times, you still have to fine tune front end. Seemed really quick in the vid compared to other clio vids round there but Im sure the camera angle wil have a lot to do with it. Hasting exiges is never a bad thing tho :p

My progress is non existent I'm afraid but in my month at home I hope to have it starting and driving atleast.

Yeah for sure about the times, you still have to fine tune front end. Seemed really quick in the vid compared to other clio vids round there but Im sure the camera angle wil have a lot to do with it. Hasting exiges is never a bad thing tho :p
Oh thats a shame! Yes that would be a good milestone to have :)

Yes I think we need to tweak with the rear aswell to aid turn in a bit but we will see when I manage to get a decent amount of time in the car :) Haha yes but they were just been driven by pansies I think lol!

182cup & 172 racecar

Evening track sessions = Knobs and hero's.

Well in James, good write up.

What do you think of the AST's now, worth their money?

I know you had some reservations before buying. Had mine 18mths now and safe to say we wouldn't be any where near where we are now without them (and of course not forgetting the 438's lol).

Not saying that other £2k suspension wouldn't have helped equally as much....as I expect once in that price bracket, they are all built for a job and they will do the job really well.

Smiles all round from here on in then....

That video has fully made my mind up about suspension - AST's will be ordered for my xmas present to myself this year lol

Lionel Richie

he'd be quicker on my Bilsteins ;)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

James, do you need a power steering pipe or just needs tightening up as I have a new ps pipe that I havent used.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Just watched the video James! You were right as well! I'd have definitely been losing my temper with the amount of people getting in the way! Lol!
You could do with a shift light at eye level as well. Saves you having to glance at the ones on the top of the dash 2.

Evening track sessions = Knobs and hero's.
Yes I did think the same this morning when thinking about it. Guess its because its a shorter duration so they want to make the most of it!
Well in James, good write up.

What do you think of the AST's now, worth their money?

I know you had some reservations before buying. Had mine 18mths now and safe to say we wouldn't be any where near where we are now without them (and of course not forgetting the 438's lol).

Not saying that other £2k suspension wouldn't have helped equally as much....as I expect once in that price bracket, they are all built for a job and they will do the job really well.

Smiles all round from here on in then....
Thanks Pete, Yes they feel really good to be fair I was massively surprised with how much better they are! Yes definitely worth the money :) My only real reservations were for the customer service but that was sorted by Josh been very good but still let down by AST cocking parts up but it got sorted quickly so doesn't really matter.

Yes I can see why you like them so much ;)

I certainly hope so, was going to get the car upto Croft on Monday but can't find the problem with the brakes :(
That video has fully made my mind up about suspension - AST's will be ordered for my xmas present to myself this year lol
Haha sorry that was an expensive video for you then ;) You will like them!
he'd be quicker on my Bilsteins ;)
Dohhh :(
James, do you need a power steering pipe or just needs tightening up as I have a new ps pipe that I havent used.
I'm not sure as I haven't looked at it yet but I think it's leaking from a connector near the alternator. Which pipe have you got mate? :)
Just watched the video James! You were right as well! I'd have definitely been losing my temper with the amount of people getting in the way! Lol!
You could do with a shift light at eye level as well. Saves you having to glance at the ones on the top of the dash 2.
Haha yes it was a tad annoying! In all fairness I can't say that I purposefully look at the shift lights and just do it on noise, the dash lights were going nuts anyway with low fuel warning when I went round corners lol!

Sounds like a big improvement :)

I can't do Donnington as my brother has decided to have his stag do that weekend. Planning to do Oulton in October though.

I've had my ASTs nearly 4 years now. They've been great, one of the rear dampers does have a very small leak now though I think. Reckon I'll be giving Josh a call to get them refurbed in the winter.

Yes thanks Mark :)

Ohh thats a shame, I think I only have enough money left in the pot for one more race this year so that will be Donington I think!

That's good to hear they are lasting well! Yes Josh will get you sorted out i'm sure :)

220 Trophy

Good choice on the Sportline 2's James, it's what I'm running, have been really pleased with them. About 45/50% stiffness front & rear feels about right and then soften the rear a touch when its wet.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup

That is a huge ammount of time to chop of your lap James! You must be really happy with that!

How much SLOW traffic was out on the session of your video! :(

Good choice on the Sportline 2's James, it's what I'm running, have been really pleased with them. About 45/50% stiffness front & rear feels about right and then soften the rear a touch when its wet.
Thanks Mark, yes seem to be working really well thank you! Suffering a bit of understeer but will work on that on a setup day :)

What spring rates do you run mate?

That is a huge ammount of time to chop of your lap James! You must be really happy with that!

How much SLOW traffic was out on the session of your video! :(
Yes it was pretty crazy and didn't believe it when Fred said the time but then it came up on the data logger when I got home! Think its exaggerated by how slow it was before as my standard 197 on 888's was quicker than this was before lol!

Yes crazy and most refused to get out of the way! :( Will stick to test days from now on if its for important running!

Tiny Mini update!

Not fully worked out the logistics but entered the race for Donny so the car WILL be ready and I will be racing :)! Can't wait to get back out there but got plenty to do before then along with a test!