ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Epic trip will be epic.

Do you want to borrow some go-pros?

Lionel Richie
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Yes it was pretty crazy and didn't believe it when Fred said the time but then it came up on the data logger when I got home! Think its exaggerated by how slow it was before as my standard 197 on 888's was quicker than this was before lol!

Told you so ;) I'm quite good at this motorsport enginnering milarky guess my qualifications do mean something LOL, i do do more than just cambelts ;)

Do you still want a guest driver? Can't let these Burpspeed boys have all the glory now (i have their setup data don't forget ;))

Lotus Elise

Nice little write up James, needed more pictures of me though tbh.

Nice driving in the video too, more brave pills and a higher gear needed for the fist corner though. ;)

I think its fair to say that your rev limiter works too.

Epic trip will be epic.

Do you want to borrow some go-pros?
It certainly will mate :) I can't wait!

Ooo thats very kind would be good to get some decent footage if you don't mind!
Told you so ;) I'm quite good at this motorsport enginnering milarky guess my qualifications do mean something LOL, i do do more than just cambelts ;)

Do you still want a guest driver? Can't let these Burpspeed boys have all the glory now (i have their setup data don't forget ;))
Haha lol! I just thought the stopwatch was broken as it was such a massive leap in lap time!

Yes certainly can do :) Haha lol :p
Spy.

Burpgate.
Pmsl at Burpgate ;)
Nice little write up James, needed more pictures of me though tbh.

Nice driving in the video too, more brave pills and a higher gear needed for the fist corner though. ;)

I think its fair to say that your rev limiter works too.
Sorry Sam must try harder next time although Phil might have taken photo's of you ;)

Yes I always struggle for where to turn in for that corner!

Haha I forgot where the limiter was! lol

Let me know if you want to race at Donny mate, we can test it on the 10th on a trackday (I'd need to fit a quieter exhaust PITA lol) or the day before the race is a half day test (Bloody expensive lol). Race is on the 15th Sept :)

It's on the 15th September Dan :) Would be good to see you! Should be a good race as will be a full field of cars

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car

Show me how good you are and get my engine built ready to kick some arse on the next rally then :D

This is technically a really bad photo as I snapped it quickly through the metal fence as I was still trying to get track-side when James went on a flying lap - but love the commitment into that corner :D

7872911896_5f83274031_c.jpg

FF Racing by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

LOVE this car so much!

7872945580_4d4a2b9053_b.jpg

7873033722_3e47ac1212_c.jpg

FF Racing - Focus by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

A few "fly on the wall" shots

The team
7873034854_6d6dbf5162_c.jpg

FF Racing - Hard at work by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

Fred - hard at work!

7873038040_b5d9e223d7_c.jpg

FF Racing & BTM by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

7873032724_ac773f0c70_c.jpg

. by Phil_Barker, on Flickr

7873031500_b734ea119c_c.jpg

The errr car park looked quite nice too! :p

7873036100_44b0a1af70_c.jpg

Apologies for the mixed style of photography lol, documentary style photos is something I really want to get into so bit of a play session for me. Unfortunately with the short time the car was on track I didn't get many track shots :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

This is technically a really bad photo as I snapped it quickly through the metal fence as I was still trying to get track-side when James went on a flying lap - but love the commitment into that corner :D

7872911896_5f83274031_c.jpg

ARB isnt going to help much there, lol

Lionel Richie

neither's the diff!! Zoltan is now famous! (he's the one in the cap) and it appears i'm going bald! (phil do you mind if i nick some of them for our facebook page? i'll link you up)

Evo 5 RS

Franco's? lol Fred having a good old look at something or other.

Best of luck James, hope it all picks up for you now

220 Trophy

Thanks Mark, yes seem to be working really well thank you! Suffering a bit of understeer but will work on that on a setup day :)

What spring rates do you run mate?

Try stiffening the rear shocks a couple of clicks, should make the rear a little more playful and help with the understear. Once they’re at 4 or 5 clicks (out of 11 I think) a couple more clicks either way makes a really big difference - On a dry hot day I stiffen them a couple of clicks and when it’s wet & colder I soften them a couple. The fronts seem to be happy left on 4 or 5 clicks whatever the conditions. Cant remember the spring weights, they were initially whatever Curtis at AST recommended but the fronts turned out to be too hard and the car was not gripping around corners. A quick call to Curtis and he sent out some softer front springs (free of charge!!) and it’s been fantastic ever since.

What are you running? – I’ll try and remember/or have a look on the springs next time I’m under the car.

LOVE this car so much!
Apologies for the mixed style of photography lol, documentary style photos is something I really want to get into so bit of a play session for me. Unfortunately with the short time the car was on track I didn't get many track shots :(
Thank you so much for the photos Phil :) I love them all and will definitely be setting the one of the car in the air as my phone background!! I don't know what you mean about technically bad it just looks full of win ;) Sorry again for such a short time on track hopefully next time it will do the full time!

Love this photo of Fred and Zoltan admiring the quality of my Halfords tools! Think they realised they can save lot's of money and not have to buy snap-on in future ;)
7873034854_6d6dbf5162_c.jpg

Franco's? lol Fred having a good old look at something or other.

Best of luck James, hope it all picks up for you now
Haha yes one of my very good/kind sponsors :) They do awesome food and keep me happy lol!

Thanks Mike appreciate it, Yes I really hope so! Can't wait for Donington now :)
Try stiffening the rear shocks a couple of clicks, should make the rear a little more playful and help with the understear. Once they’re at 4 or 5 clicks (out of 11 I think) a couple more clicks either way makes a really big difference - On a dry hot day I stiffen them a couple of clicks and when it’s wet & colder I soften them a couple. The fronts seem to be happy left on 4 or 5 clicks whatever the conditions. Cant remember the spring weights, they were initially whatever Curtis at AST recommended but the fronts turned out to be too hard and the car was not gripping around corners. A quick call to Curtis and he sent out some softer front springs (free of charge!!) and it’s been fantastic ever since.

What are you running? – I’ll try and remember/or have a look on the springs next time I’m under the car.
Yes I was thinking that Mark or connect up the rear ARB :) Thanks for the advice mate!

That's interesting, mine felt really good but hardly got any running so I could suffer the same issues :( I was going to speak to Josh before Donny and try and get some harder rear's just in case I can't get rid of the understeer with dampers.

I think the fronts are 110nm and rears 90nm but I would need to check. Thanks mate that would be good :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

ARB will probably do a better job of stiffening the rear than the dampers will TBH, especially in terms of if its wanting to wander when its near the apex of the bend and hence already settled and therefore the dampening isnt really doing a lot anymore.

Although the shocks will change the rate of weight transfer, they wont ultimately change the amount that ends up loaded on each outside tyre in terms of front to back balance, only the springs and ARB are going to do that.

220 Trophy

I've a feeling James has also got the Pure rear-beam stiffening kit, therefore I think an ARB in addition will be too much, if not then agree.

ARB will probably do a better job of stiffening the rear than the dampers will TBH, especially in terms of if its wanting to wander when its near the apex of the bend and hence already settled and therefore the dampening isnt really doing a lot anymore.

Although the shocks will change the rate of weight transfer, they wont ultimately change the amount that ends up loaded on each outside tyre in terms of front to back balance, only the springs and ARB are going to do that.
Yes Chip, The reason I thought about the arb was because it felt like the same understeer I have had before that was solved by putting it onto the soft setting. I think also playing with ride heights could help as I set it up to maintain decent roll centres but I don't know if that is better or worse than have it lower!
I've a feeling James has also got the Pure rear-beam stiffening kit, therefore I think an ARB in addition will be too much, if not then agree.
No we left the rear beam as is for this season and I think I will get the strengthening kit over winter but will only fit a few of the parts and not the full kit :)

Thank you so much for the photos Phil :) I love them all and will definitely be setting the one of the car in the air as my phone background!! I don't know what you mean about technically bad it just looks full of win ;) Sorry again for such a short time on track hopefully next time it will do the full time!

Hehe just it's a bit soft and grainey - that's just me being critical of the photo though
The driving - FULL of win!

I'm gonna go back down on the 15th to see everyone racing so I'm sure there'll be more chances for photos then :)

Haha I can't see anything wrong with it ;)! Lol it was a mistake in the first place but at least we got a good photo out of it :D

Awesome mate that would be really good thanks :)

Do you think you were out on track long enough to get the tyres up to temp?

Makes quite a difference with the DZ03s. That is what you were on isn't it looking at the pics?

My spring rates are only 80/70 F/R (N/mm), which was the standard hard setup a few years ago from Curtis. It has a slight under steer bias but I wouldn't say it had an under steer problem.

Probably not fully upto temp but still had done a fair few laps at 90% getting through the traffic. Yes it could be it and yes running 205 dunlops :)

That is interesting I will have to see how I get on with these hard ones and go from there :)

Update:

I really don't understand my car sometimes! Started to prep and check over the car after all 8 laps at Donington and once again the front wheels have got play in the 12-6 position! It is either the top mount bearings (Brand new before the 8 laps) or the AST's (Also brand new) To be honest i'm fairly sure it's both! Don't know what to do now :( Got a few days before i'm going away and the car needed to be ready by then! Still not looked properly into the brake issue or the power steering leak :(

Tempted just to call it a day for this season and start the winter rebuild now!

Cup In bits

Not good mate, you spanner checked everything . Could only be your track rods, you have replaced everything else just recently when you fitted AST's right?

Yes mate everything else is perfect :(! Replaced Inner tie rods, track rod ends, Balljoints and bearing top mounts before donny :(! I have stripped back the suspension and the top mount bearings have got as much play as the last set but I don't see how they could after just 8 laps! I think the dampers are playing up too though but will have to have another look at them tomorrow :(

The only think left to change would be driveshafts and wheel bearings all of which are on the list for winter

182cup & 172 racecar

I just can't see where the play would come from, or the cause ?

We've just ragged the arse off ours this weekend and nothing??

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

It's not anything to do with the bushes you had made is it ?

Evo 5 RS

You must have some underlying problem that wasn't fixed from day one, f*ck knows what it could be though!! Have you not changed the wheel bearings before then?

I really don't understand this either. I've ragged the s**t out of my car since I got it setup and the pure motorsport top bushes have no play in them at all!

Maybe it's something to do with the juddering you said you were getting all the time - maybe the juddering is wearing the bushes out?

Have you got someone to take a look while you move the wheel? It is difficult to see where the play is if you are doing it on your own.

Can you also feel play by pulling/pushing the strut towards/away from the wheel - you'd expect to if it was the top mount.

Strut to hub bolts tight? Does it have those funcky offset holes for adjusting camber? Probably worth checking they're OK.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Driveshaft cant effect play in the 12-6 position so long as the hub nut is tight, the shaft itself does nothing its only the clamping force on the bearing from the hub not that has an effect.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Put it back together with no springs fitted, you will soon be able to tell where the play is then.

Evo 5 RS

Try changing the hub nuts? Sounds dumb but mine were knackered and wouldn't stay tight till I bought a new set.

Cup In bits

You have the sphericals out of the top mount and they still have play? Are you running plastic/ptfe lined bearings in the top mounts?

Right have made a bit of progress, I will try and answer all the above below ;)

Firstly I spoke with Nick at PMS who was very surprised and is 99% sure there will be no more play in the bearings than there should be so I have sent him the old ones and the new ones for him to inspect and then we will go from there.

The wheel bearings were supposed to be changed when the car was built but then one also failed after the first outing at Snetterton but this was then replaced and touch wood no issues since.

I did get someone else to move the wheel and it looked to be from the shock but when I stripped it down and found the play in the top bearings I presumed it was this. Earlier on I refit the suspension without the springs (Thanks Chip) then put some load on the wheels (Nick at PMS said to do this) and sure enough it was definitely the damper shaft moving inside the housing. I spoke with Josh at Cooksport who as always has been VERY helpful and has organised for them to be collected in the morning and then hopefully back with me pronto. It sounds like it was an issue from manufacture but I don't see how I get all this bad luck :(

This has had a knock on effect as I was planning on testing the car on Sunday before I go away on Monday to check if I have managed to fix the brakes but this now won't happen. I also can't get the car on the ground to send it off for the brakes and power steering to be sorted while i'm away so not really sure how I am going to get it sorted in time for donny. I (with the help of a very kind fellow ;)) have worked through a bit of a plan to get the brakes working for Donny but I'm still trying to persuade myself that I am safe to be working on my brakes.

I've just spent a few hours in the garage working out what to do and I think the sensible thing would be to cancel the donny race and start the re-build of the car as there are some jobs that just can't be done without the engine out and there are so many other things that have been highlighted recently that need to be done.

I don't want to do that though as it would have other consequences such as not been able to make the Ring/Spa trip that I have been looking forward to.

* The power steering would just be a case of hope it doesn't shatter the connection that is leaking and if it does take my manual rack and swap it on the night between the test day and raceday but obviously not ideal.

I will get my thinking cap on and work out the best solution from here on in :)

Cup In bits

Your a creature of the night mate, always on late.

At least you have found some problems, you just don't get any breaks do you, always something new needing fitted or fixed. Your car is a dog and I think you should sell it to me for £2000 and a packet of choc digestives. ;);)