ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Lionel Richie
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

just drop the car with me and piss off back to leeds, it will be at Donnington with or without you! (i can't find your invoice anywhere by the way, i have looked!)

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

James,

First time user interested in the TT racing, so naturally had a poke around your thread!

Lovely car, and please don't take this the wrong way; but I can't understand why such a complex build for a first time racing (please correct me if I am wrong and your actually seasoned!).

Have you considered stripping some of the toys out (ABS replaced by a simple pipe & bias valve setup for example?) in order to achieve a simple(r) build with better reliability stats? All of the future toys planned; are they really going to have a signifcant impact on the way the car performs? My insight is that the more trinkets there are, the larger your failure risk; your reliability performance could actually worsen!

Either way, all the best of luck!

just drop the car with me and piss off back to leeds, it will be at Donnington with or without you! (i can't find your invoice anywhere by the way, i have looked!)
Haha thanks Fred! That's a coincidence that you can't find my invoice I suppose I will have to guess how much I owe you then ;)
James,

First time user interested in the TT racing, so naturally had a poke around your thread!

Lovely car, and please don't take this the wrong way; but I can't understand why such a complex build for a first time racing (please correct me if I am wrong and your actually seasoned!).

Have you considered stripping some of the toys out (ABS replaced by a simple pipe & bias valve setup for example?) in order to achieve a simple(r) build with better reliability stats? All of the future toys planned; are they really going to have a signifcant impact on the way the car performs? My insight is that the more trinkets there are, the larger your failure risk; your reliability performance could actually worsen!

Either way, all the best of luck!
Hi pingpong

In hindsight i'm not too sure either ;) Yes I was/am a novice so it was just to get a car that worked and I could develop in!

Yes not only have I considered it but it will be getting done over winter, the ABS will be going, the UCH will be going when the car gets re-wired and it will be much more simple so that I can work on it!

The only complex thing that will go on the car is the adjustable ARB's but that is a way off now and also they are not all that complex.

I fully agree with you mate and thank you :)

Best of luck with whatever you do and hopefully see you in TT's

James,

Sounds like your having to learn fast! I have a very simple TDF loom that is a dream to work with - but then it really seems to be nothing more than 4 injectors, a handful of engine sensors and a ECU coupler; but that suits me just fine.

I think your making the right decision with regard to simplification, but I wonder (and again please don't take this the wrong way) if you were a kid in a sweet shop when you drew the specification up? Totally understandable I must add if you have the budget.

My opinion would be that the vehicle probably needs very little extra additions performance (lap time) wise, but a lot of work validating it in its current spec; with urgent attention brought to the issues that are having the most significant impact on reliability.

Thanks.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

That is so what it needs, while I think its great that James wants to work on and learn about the car, what it needs right now by the sounds of it is experience rather than just enthusiasm.
Will be the best money he ever spends on it to just get someone on board who knows what they are doing to sort it.

James,

Sounds like your having to learn fast! I have a very simple TDF loom that is a dream to work with - but then it really seems to be nothing more than 4 injectors, a handful of engine sensors and a ECU coupler; but that suits me just fine.

I think your making the right decision with regard to simplification, but I wonder (and again please don't take this the wrong way) if you were a kid in a sweet shop when you drew the specification up? Totally understandable I must add if you have the budget.

My opinion would be that the vehicle probably needs very little extra additions performance (lap time) wise, but a lot of work validating it in its current spec; with urgent attention brought to the issues that are having the most significant impact on reliability.

Thanks.
Yes Ping unfortunately so!

Thank you, i'm thick skinned mate don't worry ;) Quite the opposite to be fair, I went to TDF this time last year with a totally different spec to what I ended up with and my original spec was to delete the ABS, Full re wire to get rid of the UCH but I was advised against these choices for various reasons and been inexperienced I listened to TDF who have great experience with these cars and who at the time I could trust more than my own inexperienced views.

Yes I think you could be right, the winter rebuild is for me to get an understanding of how it all goes together and make it more reliable and then go from there.

What is your name mate and I will watch out for you in tin tops?

Best Wishes
James :)
That is so what it needs, while I think its great that James wants to work on and learn about the car, what it needs right now by the sounds of it is experience rather than just enthusiasm.
Will be the best money he ever spends on it to just get someone on board who knows what they are doing to sort it.
Yes Fred has been very kind and as you say I need to learn but I need to do it when I have got time to do it and not under pressure :) Hopefully we will get it all sorted and not have to do work that will just be un-done over winter so should save me jobs to do!

Yes mate it's all organised now and the car is sat outside on the trailer ready to go down tomorrow :) Can't wait for donny!

bit s**t how youv had so much bad luck with this car

especially when its been built by a company that alot of the forum rave on about but no disrespect to you just off going off this thread they seem quite s**tE tbh especially when theyre ''race engineers'' hope all goes well with the winter rebuild and you get some decent results with the car once built properly

Lionel Richie

I'll appologise now for the work i'm about to do, 2 weeks isn't much time, so i will be cutting some corners (brake pipes made from copper etc, which i hate, but its only temporary as i doubt we'll get the proper braided ones in time)

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Really now looks like you will be racing at Donny.

By now I think 99% of people would of given up after the bad luck you have had!

Enjoy your holiday and relax - you taken game console to do some practice on the track!

Clio 172

FFS James I don't now what to say. I saw on FB last night the car is off to Fred's and I'm know he'll do a fantastic job on it. I've not had alot of work done at Fred's but the stuff he has done including sorting out two very knackered wheel bearings and all my discs and pads has been spot on and when I had the wrong rear discs he even fitted me in before my first trackday to get it done. The guy is a true gent as I'm sure you know and he has what I refer to as the 'give a sh*t attitude' (passion) when he actually cares for the work he does and puts out. Which is very different from people just in it for the money.

I'm sure once he has worked his magic the car will be spot on and I hope you get back on track soon.

My only complaint is that Donington is on a Saturday not a Sunday :(

340i

See you at Donnington.

bit s**t how youv had so much bad luck with this car

especially when its been built by a company that alot of the forum rave on about but no disrespect to you just off going off this thread they seem quite s**tE tbh especially when theyre ''race engineers'' hope all goes well with the winter rebuild and you get some decent results with the car once built properly
Haha yes mate but i'm putting it down to learning and move on :) It will get were I want it to be very soon and over the last few weeks I have had little glimpses it's getting better :)

Thank you very much I look forward to getting a bit further up the grid hopefully!
I'll appologise now for the work i'm about to do, 2 weeks isn't much time, so i will be cutting some corners (brake pipes made from copper etc, which i hate, but its only temporary as i doubt we'll get the proper braided ones in time)
Haha I can't for donny! Do whatever you want to it mate ;)
Really now looks like you will be racing at Donny.

By now I think 99% of people would of given up after the bad luck you have had!

Enjoy your holiday and relax - you taken game console to do some practice on the track!
Yes Mike I certainly hope so!

Haha I always said I would never give up but I was tempted just to hold off racing until next season :)

Thank you mate! I wish I had one mate lol, the place we are going gets no phone coverage and no internet :( I've just been out to buy a sim for the only network that works there lol! See you at Donny mate
FFS James I don't now what to say. I saw on FB last night the car is off to Fred's and I'm know he'll do a fantastic job on it. I've not had alot of work done at Fred's but the stuff he has done including sorting out two very knackered wheel bearings and all my discs and pads has been spot on and when I had the wrong rear discs he even fitted me in before my first trackday to get it done. The guy is a true gent as I'm sure you know and he has what I refer to as the 'give a sh*t attitude' (passion) when he actually cares for the work he does and puts out. Which is very different from people just in it for the money.

I'm sure once he has worked his magic the car will be spot on and I hope you get back on track soon.

My only complaint is that Donington is on a Saturday not a Sunday :(
Yes Andy Fred has been awesome and very kind :) I've ended up giving him a fairly big list but it's all stuff that was going to be done over winter but don't want to risk it failing at Donny!

Yes it's very refreshing :)

Sorry mate lol! No way you can juggle work by one day lol?!
See you at Donnington.
Yes mate look forward to it :) Once we get the timetable i'll post it on here and FB!

Lionel Richie

i pulled some bits off Dynacup earlier, think i've come up with a plan for the handbrake, might need a 2nd hand item sourcing though!

Ooo sounds exciting thanks :) I am just writing you an email as we speak! Let me know what you need and I will sort it :D

I only managed to escape Birmingham about 2 hours ago :S Been dragged round the shops all day!

Update:

Right so after the suspension issues and also the brakes that weren't working as they should at Donny I was never going to have time to get it all sorted ready to be sure for the Donington race as I am going away in a few hours.

The problem with the brakes seems to be the ABS putting varying pressures to individual corners which was pulling the car massively to left under hard braking to the point I was getting pulled onto the grass which was only going to end badly. The easiest solution is to remove the ABS (It's been intermittent for a long time anyway) and then fit the 172 cup system which should hopefully be reliable.

Below is the picture of how much brake dust had come off one rear brake after just 8 laps
file-8.jpg

There also seems to be something wrong with the fronts which left this
file-7.jpg

I was pretty sure I was going to call this season quits as it was looking too much to sort in time but I had a very kind offer from Dan@519 while I was at Mallory with Burpspeed the other week to sort the brakes out. I also had another offer during the week by Fred to sort it out which was very kind to squeeze the car in. So the car has been left with Fred and I have full trust that it will be sorted for Donington.

Before dropping the car off at BTM I had been investigating the PAS leak, the oil leak and the suspension issue.
file-3.jpg

I have decided to get rid of the dust seals on the rear calliper sliders so that I can just keep them well greased
file-5.jpg

The suspension was sent off to AST the other day who called up to say there was nothing wrong with it which came as a shock as there was play in the shaft even just by moving it with my hand so not sure what was going on there especially because the other side didn't have this play. I explained my dissatisfaction to Josh who as always has been great and he has got AST to fully re-build both to fix them. They will be sent to Fred who will fit them while I'm away. This left me with the issue of how to get the car to BTM with no suspension so I refitted the butchered H+R's and had to do a pikey top mount which I was rather ashamed of but it was only going onto and back off the trailer
file-4.jpg

Found a few more issue's when I restarted the car such as the oil temp gauge showing 140 degree's on startup which is odd as it hadn't been started for a week
file-9.jpg

I still managed to get the rest of the car checked over, washed and ready to go which included fitting some 1 degree camber shims to the rear and some 5mm spacers.
file-6.jpg

The only outstanding job is to work out what to do with the exhaust after our attempts to silence the car at Donny
file.jpg

While Fred offered to do the brakes he has somehow ended up with a rather large list of things to do if he has time so sorry for that ;) I just want to make sure that the car runs smoothly and well at Donington and we don't have time to test so it will be going straight into qualifying without working on the setup.

I am going away in a few hours and looking forward to not having the usual late nights on the car but am really looking forward to Donington and am hoping the car will be much more competitive.

So over and out from me :)

James

Last edited:

jesus from that engine bay pic it looks as though everything's held together with tie wraps obviously not your doing though and hopefully youl have a good outing at Donington

Cup In bits

Nice one James, you should be up at the sharp end with Burp when you get issues sorted. Confidence in brakes is the biggest thing for me when going for it.

If ever there's an argument to simplify the engine wiring it's your bay, looks really busy. I thought TDF's EC1 cut wiring dramatically, seems not, looks like there's more than standard.

Love the downward swept DTM tail pipes, did you notice a difference in Db?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

See you at Donnington.

I will second this... I'm really looking forwards to this meet now and even have permission from the wife to go and play with the "stupid boy toys" so i'll finally get to see this car perform (no pressure James).

I did see this car at Fred's yesterday and my reactions to some parts were mixed. Fred will do you right as he always does... Not many top lads about these days but he's deffo one of them.

Mick

WRX

Hoping to make Donny but maybe working in the morning.

340i

I will second this... I'm really looking forwards to this meet now and even have permission from the wife to go and play with the "stupid boy toys" so i'll finally get to see this car perform (no pressure James).

Mick

Yay.

We are allowed to go out and play ;)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup

Scary ammount of dust from the rear brakes. Don't think ours do much at all. It's takes ages to get the surface rust off the disks sometimes :)

Had a quick look and I see Donny falls on Sat 15th. I'm free so will pop along for this one.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

Good to meet you properly yesterday James, Fred is going to have some fun with your car I think.

182cup & 172 racecar

Looks like we are going to get alot of guests at this meeting, :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

Tony, I'm coming tooled up so I'm "race support" lol... No bill though

Good to meet you properly yesterday James, Fred is going to have some fun with your car I think.

Saw your track rod end when I was down at BTM with Mick. Nice work.

I'll be joining the CS massive at Donington too, been meaning to come to a race for ages.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

Good job cos the wife's been furniture shopping today and we are skint!

jesus from that engine bay pic it looks as though everything's held together with tie wraps obviously not your doing though and hopefully youl have a good outing at Donington
Haha lol everyone says that ;)

Thanks mate me too!
Nice one James, you should be up at the sharp end with Burp when you get issues sorted. Confidence in brakes is the biggest thing for me when going for it.

If ever there's an argument to simplify the engine wiring it's your bay, looks really busy. I thought TDF's EC1 cut wiring dramatically, seems not, looks like there's more than standard.

Love the downward swept DTM tail pipes, did you notice a difference in Db?
Haha that would be a shock to the system lol but i'm not going to run before I can walk :) Haha you wouldn't have liked it at Donny then it was just like lucky dip! The data from the braking traces is crazy really not sure what was up with it as I was pressing the brakes just as hard/same point every lap!

Haha tell me about it! That's why its all getting re-wired over winter as it's just too complex for me to understand and too easy to catch a wire when just doing simple tasks.

Didn't get chance to try them out as the TDO wouldn't let us back out :(
god this clio looks a brute! i like it
Haha thanks mate! Did you see the picture of your gearstick fitted ;)

I did see this car at Fred's yesterday and my reactions to some parts were mixed. Fred will do you right as he always does... Not many top lads about these days but he's deffo one of them.

Mick
Awesome news Mick will be great to meet you :)

Haha I can deal with pressure ;)

Yes will be interesting to hear what you think to it at Donny! He certainly is a top bloke :D
Hoping to make Donny but maybe working in the morning.
That would be great :) You won't miss much in the morning as the racing is never before lunch anyway!
Scary ammount of dust from the rear brakes. Don't think ours do much at all. It's takes ages to get the surface rust off the disks sometimes :)

Had a quick look and I see Donny falls on Sat 15th. I'm free so will pop along for this one.
Yes wasn't good at all! Normally the rear wheels barely even need cleaning this time that one was f**ked

That's great mate I look forward to it :)
Yes and you Simon I hope the TRE's got sorted :) Haha yes I think so too!
Looks like we are going to get alot of guests at this meeting, :)
Awesome amount of support :D
Tony, I'm coming tooled up so I'm "race support" lol... No bill though
Haha I like the sound of that Mick :)
I'll be joining the CS massive at Donington too, been meaning to come to a race for ages.
Will be good to see you again Dave! What a gathering of CS we will have :)

182cup & 172 racecar

Just keep out of my van, lol.

At least it can't be worse than what's already on it ;)

*bites lip*

It sounds like this Donny meet is going to be awesome, I can't wait for it!
I can't believe the response from AST - that's making me question what suspension to get AGAIN, I'm starting to feel like there is no good suspension setup for a track Clio :(

Just keep out of my van, lol.
It's not a van Tony ;)
It sounds like this Donny meet is going to be awesome, I can't wait for it!
I can't believe the response from AST - that's making me question what suspension to get AGAIN, I'm starting to feel like there is no good suspension setup for a track Clio :(
Yes mate will be a cracker :) I will be avoiding those kerbs though this time ;)

Yes I was shocked and fair enough I would apologise if I was wrong but they said they should have play, so I said why does the drivers side not?! Anyway i'm sure they will have sorted them and I know Fred won't fit them if not :)

The only positive I can say is Josh has been really great at getting stuff sorted out and they have made a big difference to how the car drives!

Lionel Richie

i'm cutting holes in the floor just to warn you :evil:

i'm cutting holes in the floor just to warn you :evil:
Haha you can do what ever you want mate ;) Surprise me!! It needs holes anyway to drain the pond out when it rains

PS if you end up fitting a bias valve it has to be out of reach of the driver for bluebook ;) Just incase you are getting any ideas :p

Evo 5 RS

I hate how vague he is. You not learned that shitting the customer up is mean? lol

Haha! I said to him I would send him an email with a list and then he could do what he wanted with it lol and I wouldn't pester him! For all I know the car could be pink when I get it back ;)