ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic Heavy

Do what you want people will make there own mind up as to weather they read it or not.

I'll read it after the season you've had.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Put it up I am on nights tomorrow lol

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Yeah I'm just thinking for future as there is no point in me spending 5 hours writing them up if no one reads them lol! May aswell spend 15 mins and more people read them :)

Thanks and I will pop them up tomorrow once the video's are uploaded :)

Merc A class

Definitely mate :) Did Naith send you the pic of the sticker?

Yeah mate :D think you need a orange one though to run with the theme? i will get one made and hopefully make allot more events and test days next season.

Merc A class

Wrote the various write ups last night on the train and they total nearly 6000 words

Fancy doing my uni work? haha!

Get it up mate, every body loves a good read!

on pitwall at oulton

me: "looks well both the cars sat there, james need to settle in for race though as it'll be carnage all around"
Sam "yeh and tidy his lines into cascades"
zoltan "you want crisp?"
sam "f**k about they stink"
me "nah sack that zoltan, they smell like jimmy savilles corpse".....

zoltan "you make joke? next year i laugh"

Actually wanted to stab myself in the face.

glad to have been a part of oulton mate, lets get some s**t together over the winter, i have a proper racecar(s) we can use! ;)

6000 words is alot, include pictures for me to look at!

Sucks on the engine, going to be at snetterton like earlier this year for pre season checks etc?

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member

6000 words is no problem. I've read through the whole thread so a bit more wont hurt. Was good to put a face to the name at BTM the other day mate.

Not all in one paragraph though......
Haha I have tried my best :)
Good effort :approve: people will read mate ;)
Thanks mate! I don't mind doing it at all just wanted to make sure it doesn't bore people :)

Yeah mate :D think you need a orange one though to run with the theme? i will get one made and hopefully make allot more events and test days next season.
I really like the red as a contrast but I know what you mean :) I can get my sticker chap to sort if you want FOC! That would be great if you can mate be good to see you there!
Fancy doing my uni work? haha!

Get it up mate, every body loves a good read!
Haha I can type fairly quickly did my 15,000 word uni dissertation including the research and all that rubbish in 2 days lol

Will do pal just need to get a decent internet connection to sort the vids and it will be up :)
on pitwall at oulton

me: "looks well both the cars sat there, james need to settle in for race though as it'll be carnage all around"
Sam "yeh and tidy his lines into cascades"
zoltan "you want crisp?"
sam "f**k about they stink"
me "nah sack that zoltan, they smell like jimmy savilles corpse".....

zoltan "you make joke? next year i laugh"

Actually wanted to stab myself in the face.

glad to have been a part of oulton mate, lets get some s**t together over the winter, i have a proper racecar(s) we can use! ;)
Haha pmsl! So much love for Zoltan lol :) I blame the lack of PAS for my shoddy lines was the same at the ring and spa

No mate thank you for coming and hanging around for a good chat! Yes we need to sort something out soon. Haha well anything I can do to help i'm just a phonecall away :)
6000 words is alot, include pictures for me to look at!

Sucks on the engine, going to be at snetterton like earlier this year for pre season checks etc?
I am lacking photo's apart from some crackers that Nick has sent me from the raceday! I will trawl my phone though and should have plenty of vids :)

Not sure about Snett to be fair its a long old trek for me but we will see :)
6000 words is no problem. I've read through the whole thread so a bit more wont hurt. Was good to put a face to the name at BTM the other day mate.
Haha great stuff Matt and great to meet you the other day too :) I'm sure your car is feeling much better after the BTM touch!

James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic Heavy

Put the full 6000 words report mate, it may be long winded but if you don't save it yourself you can always refer back here to reminisce in years to come! Oh and I like a good read! ;)

Put the full 6000 words report mate, it may be long winded but if you don't save it yourself you can always refer back here to reminisce in years to come! Oh and I like a good read! ;)
Will do mate :) Haha very true!

Just been in Guilford we should meet up next time i'm down :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I work near Guildford a lot. Give us some warning next time.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

Random question of the day for you James. Did you come go-karting with the West Yorkshire lot at Pole Position last November?

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

Thought I recognised your face in pictures. Didn't realise it was you until recently.

Yes we need to do it again, next time I see Mike i'll mention it.

Now I know this is you i'll make sure I come along to a few races next year and show some support when your good, boo when your crap.

Good luck with car though mate.

BMW Z4

6000 words! You can do my write ups for me James LOL

Thought I recognised your face in pictures. Didn't realise it was you until recently.

Yes we need to do it again, next time I see Mike i'll mention it.

Now I know this is you i'll make sure I come along to a few races next year and show some support when your good, boo when your crap.

Good luck with car though mate.
Haha yes it certainly is me ;)

Definitely mate, I don't mind helping to organise it if Mike is busy etc

That would be great thanks, Next year any spare tickets I have I will put up in the thread and then just do first come first served with them. Haha please be nice even when I f**k up :p

Thanks mate
Thanks mate they are awesome :) I will get those added to the write up tonight!

6000 words! You can do my write ups for me James LOL
Haha I have shortened it down to 5000 now :) Anytime mate lol ;)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

I am glad you were able to enjoy the car before it died, I think being able to enjoy it and it breaking is quite satisfying in your situation.

I look forward to hearing what you and Fred are going to create over the winter engine wise.

Thanks mate :) Haha I would rather it hadn't exploded I was looking forward to getting some decent laps in lol

Yes it should be great but I need to start collecting some pennies :)

Modifications post Donington:

So the Donington race had gone well and the car was feeling good. After the race I worked through the video and highlighted the remaining little things that could be improved upon to ensure better performance next time out. The list went as follows:

• Struggling to select gear when the car was warm
    • When warm the linkage was expanding and seizing up
      • Heatsheild in between the exhaust and the gearlinkage
  • Understeer at low speed turn in
    • Test the car and play with tyre pressures and damper settings
  • Rear brakes were locking up and meant I had to be cautious on the brakes
    • PF97 pads in the rear and also the cup valve was set to max rear
      • Modify rear load valve to provide measureable adjustment in the car and replace for stock rear pads
  • Minor power steering pipe weep
    • This had been the case for a while but I refused to buy new pipe as will be replaced over winter by saxo/corsa system
      • I took the connections apart to check the o-rings which were okay so I reassembled and put a large piece of thick, glue lined heatshrink over to try and contain the drips
  • Coolant temps had been at over 130 degree’s for most of the race
    • I checked the readings on the sensor and all was okay, an issue with the ECU meant I couldn’t check the peak readings. Took the car for a compression test and dyno at RS-Tuning where all was as expected and no damage had been done
      • Shrouding was made to go around the radiator and divert all the air into the rad, holes were also drilled into the bumper and crossmemeber just to aid airflow
file.jpg

file-6.jpg

• Wheel vibration
    • Couldn’t fully balance wheels due to clearance with Alcon’s
      • Balance on the outside edge of wheel and secure with aluminum tape.
file-7.jpg

• Transponder draining battery when engine not running and datalogger turning off in pitstop so no speedo
    • Hardwire both to battery and then fit separate switch
My childish wiring diagram ;)

file-8.jpg

file-9.jpg

While under the dashboard I was faced with this mess!!

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

file-4.jpg

Then tried to tidy it up a little

file-5.jpg

• Carbon monoxide poisoning in the car during the race due to the bodged exhaust system
    • Remove old system and replace with new BTM system along with blocking off the holes in the boot floor
      file-1.jpg
file-11.jpg

All the above would have been identified in testing but with the late discoveries of issues it was very lucky the car even made the race we still managed a great result and it was a good learning curve.

Getting the above sorted wasn’t too bad but was very time consuming and some how ended up costing a pretty penny lol!

Then the car was ready for the test day apart from finding a missing bolt in the side of the engine but it didn’t seem to important so just left it ;)

Teeside test:

My instructor does some work from Teeside autodrome so kindly offered to let me do some private testing there where I could work through my testing schedule.

This included firstly:

• Working on getting the tyre pressure and damper settings correct for both the Dunlop’s and the Toyo’s
  • Setting up the Dash and laptiming
  • Setting up the Data logger and the video
  • Back to back running to compare the Dunlops with the Toyo’s to ensure they are worth nearly double the price
The day identified the hubnut on the passenger side was still winding itself loose so I thread locked it and then went to test if it had worked and it did.

It was a very successful day and resulted in a really good reduction in laptime from the start of the day with lots of interesting data. The cooling and braking modifications had worked as planned and the car felt like it was on rails!

My instructor who was going to be sharing the car with me at Oulton then got in the car and we devised a solution to ensure that we could still do a quick driver change even with the vast difference in size between the two of us. Howard then went out in the car and started to get comfortable with the car. He noted a few interesting things about the car that I hadn’t really noticed and then cracked on with chipping his laptimes down to end up within a second of mine and he was doing one corner in a higher gear which would of probably yielded the difference to put us even on times.

We were both very happy and looking forward to testing at Oulton on Friday.

file-10.jpg

[video=youtube_share;loLkXNfGJnI]http://youtu.be/loLkXNfGJnI[/video]

Exhaust time:

After the Teeside day I was taking the car home to prep it ready for the following few days on track. This involved a quick spanner over everything as I was having so much fun at Teeside I gave it quite a beating! All was okay apart from a tiny bit of weeping still from the PAS but not much I could do about that now.

I removed the old exhaust ready for the new one to be fitted.

I arrived at JP exhausts to drop the car off and the plan was to collect it on the way to Oulton on Friday morning for testing. I met Will at JP who talked me through the exhaust and how they were going to run the system you could tell his passion for the job and he showed me a few of the other cars he had just been doing, the work was simply stunning! The exhaust for mine was the new BTM system that they make which is normally run with a small mid silencer but I asked for this to be removed. My old system didn’t run a middle mount and drooped down quite a lot so used to catch on the trailer.

I went back to collect the car on the Friday morning and was shown round the exhaust by Will on the ramp the quality of the work was astounding! He had got the system nicely up under the car so it wouldn’t catch on the trailer, he had refitted my mid mount and also fitted the exhaust with the two bespoke rear mounts which remove the standard crap Renault mounts from the equation. The whole exhaust is TIG welded and is just a work of art! The sound is out of the world too so was a great start to the trip :)

file-11.jpg

Oulton Test afternoon:

I was not sure whether to test at Oulton as I was really happy with how the car was driving at Teeside but when I thought about it I really didn’t know the circuit and also the coner types between Teeside and Oulton vary massively. It also gave an opportunity for Howard to get out in the car and actually start to learn it as it’s a bit of a handful sometimes!

We got to the circuit at about 11.30 and because it was a test day it meant no passengers in the car so I couldn’t get any instruction. Luckily Howard works for the circuit sometimes so he managed to take me out in the roadcar at lunchtime and point out the reference points which when I jumped in the car did the job and I managed to get upto speed within a lap or two. Silly me had left my race license in the wrong folder at home so a trip home at the end of the day was on the cards!

The session started late due to MSV being disorganised and not sticking to the timetable but we then got cracking with the testing schedule. The plan was for Howard to go out for the first half the test and get comfortable. We started off on the 888’ as otherwise we would be struggling for Dunlops on race day. The sessions kept getting red flagged and Howard came in and reported the car was feeling really twitchy and just not very planted. It was also locking the rears at the big stops. I then went and got suited and booted and went out to see what I thought. Howard was right and the car was trying to throw itself off the circuit at ever corner. I managed to hold on to get a decent time but it could of spat me off at any minute a risk that Howard wasn’t prepared to take which was kind of him lol! The car needed work as it just wasn’t going to be drivable. The problem was we had got the low speed stuff perfect but the high speed corners and the bumpy nature of Oulton just wasn’t working with the setup. I then went to spanner and kept sending Howard out to see how the tweaks were working. I adjusted pressures, dampers and brake bias until he got fairly comfortable but it was still really twitchy for him. By this point it was as soft as the dampers would allow. I sent Howard back out while I had to empty the garage as MSV were been total tossers and wanted to kick us out of the garage because they had forgotten to lock it and we had used it!

file.jpg

Howard came in and reported it was better which was a relief as there wasn’t much else we could have done without changing springs. I then went out to see how our times compared. He was still struggling to push as he felt it was going to snap on him which is fair enough and wasn’t an issue. I went out and pushed from the off to see where the limits were on the outlap the rear was sliding around a few times and this resulted in a big spin at Cascades on the start of the first flying lap luckily the car thudded back down to the ground and I continued on and picked up the pace! I got a 2.01 which looking at TSL from the year before was nice and competitive. Then it was time to do one more flyer just to check everything was consistent before switching to the Dunlops which are a much faster tyre to check balance, pressures and an idea for a quali laptime. Unfortunately the engine started smoking lots and I was fearing the worse that a ring had gone. Half way round the lap the PAS became intermittent and then suddenly a huge plume of smoke from the exhaust and the PAS failed completely I limped it back to the pits to report the engine knackered along with the PAS. Howard and Tony then said the engine isn’t knackered but it was sucking in the PAS fluid from the exploded pump/pipe and going through the ITB’s burning then out of the exhaust.

This came as a great relief but it was then time to work out how to fix the PAS! The pipe really is a b**ch to change and we wouldn’t have got one in time. I spoke with Fred who said to fit a belt to bypass the PAS pump and then run with no PAS I kicked up a fuss as I know how horrid they are with no assistance, Fred was right though it wasn’t feasible to sort in time without a lot of towing around and trying to source pipes so it was then time to find a shorter belt. Thankfully Tony had a few spares from their car which he very kindly donated which fit perfectly which was a bit of luck as we run different alternator brackets. Thanks Tony for saving the day as ever :)

The car was a mess and covered in PAS fluid I did the best I could to clear it up. By the time I got everything re-loaded into the garage and sorted the car ready for race day it was about 10.30pm and I still had to go home and collect my race license. I was so tempted just to pack up and go home after driving round the paddock and feeling how horrible it was with no PAS. The only reason I didn’t is because too many people have put a lot of work into getting the car to where it is today and it wouldn’t be fair on them for me not to drive just because I’m been a pussy so it was time to man up drive home, get my license and then get back to circuit first thing the next day.

[video=youtube_share;LjVXTc9nngk]http://youtu.be/LjVXTc9nngk[/video]

Oulton Park CSCC Race Day

file-14.jpg

file-20.jpg

file-19.jpg

The race morning started off wet but I thought it had dried up for our session so I sent Howard out to qualify first on the dunlops. I should of looked over the pitwall and seen the damp line as it was 888’s territory not the dunlops. He went out and did some very sideways laps and came in to report the car just had no grip. I wanted to change the tyres but we were going to loose too much time. I proceeded to get in the car but then saw the safety car had been sent out so I shouted to swap the tyres which we did fairly quickly and got me down to the bottom of the pits for the session going green again.

file-4.jpg

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

The tyres were stone cold and there was lots of traffic so was just taking it easy to get some heat in ready for pushing at the end. Little did I know that we were near the end of the session. I started to push coming upto druids to get ready for a quick lap and got passed Lisa and Toby in the Puma but as I came to the start/finish line the chequred flag was out. I was gutted as I hadn’t got a proper lap in and thought we would be near the bottom of the times. Luckily we had still managed to get 7[SUP]th[/SUP] position which I was very happy with.

[video=youtube_share;lr22ytnwalE]http://youtu.be/lr22ytnwalE[/video]

The car was then checked over ready for the race and the Dunlops bolted back on seen as how the circuit was now drying up quickly.

file-7.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-5.jpg

file-1.jpg

file-21.jpg

I was going to start the race as I had set the fastest time in quali but I knew what with my rubbish starts it would be tricky to keep position. There were also plenty of quick cars behind. Sat in the waiting area I was chatting with Jay and Mike who both tried to calm me down so thanks guys :) I was getting reall nervous but once on the warm up lap all was okay!

I lined up on my grid slot and looked around at the competitors around me. Jay had already warned me he would be past me by the first corner and sure enough he was! I had made a poor start but not as bad as some of my previous ones lol. Going into the first corner the back end swung right round and luckily I managed correct it with a little help by the hit of a puma! Coming into cascades the saxo which I knew was quick left a Clio with Alcon sized gap so I obliged and then settled down for the next few laps and regained a few positions that I had lost at the start.

file-28.jpg

file-27.jpg

file-26.jpg

file-24.jpg

file-23.jpg

file-22.jpg

Unfortunately the video broke after me flying the car over the kerbs and the rear cam was full by the end of the outlap!

I stayed out for most of the open pit window and then did my stop. I totally f**ked up with undoing the belts, then didn’t turn the car off properly so when Howard got in he couldn’t restart it. Finally we got the car started and he was off. We dropped back a bit due to the poor stop but I have to take full blame for it as we should of practiced it. Howard was seemingly struggling still to push which I don’t blame him for as with the sticky 205 dunlops and no PAS the car was pretty horrid to drive on the limit. Near the end of the race he had obviously started to get comfortable and the times started to drop which held off Lisa and Toby in the Puma so I was really happy that we got comparable lap times and we finished the race in 11[SUP]th[/SUP].

[video=youtube_share;GieVfS-Ig8M]http://youtu.be/GieVfS-Ig8M[/video]

The quickest race laptime was over a second slower than testing and that was with the dunlops but that was due to the lack of powersteering I think.

Looking at the data after the race I was doing well round the whole circuit apart from the entry to druids where Howard was 15mph quicker than me so if you combine are sectors together even without the PAS we were well under the 2 minuite lap times which bodes well looking to next season.

Howard gave some great feedback to how he felt the car was driving and gave me a few more things to look into over winter.

file-8.jpg

file-9.jpg

file-10.jpg

file-11.jpg

file-13.jpg

The list of jobs for winter is growing but I think at the end of it we should have a competitive car. The plan for next year is to have a second driver as I need to split the costs moving forwards but am just grateful I managed to get to the end of this season. I think each race may have a different driver which will give me really good comparison on data and setup.

Thank you to everyone who came down to watch and support on the day and was great to put some more names to the faces along with seeing the usual suspects ;) I appreciate the support massively! Thanks also to Phil and Nick for all the great photos

file-12.jpg

Also thanks to BTM who helped out with the car all day and provided there invaluable experience. I can’t thank these guys enough as they have gone totally out of there way to help out and have done a cracking job in turning the reliability of the car around! The problems I have suffered since are all things that I knew could be issues but I chose to ignore them as there just wasn’t an unlimited amount to spend on sorting the car out and ultimately I paid the price for this with the failures but that was my choice and my fault!

The decision was then whether to drop the race car off at home before the Ring/Spa trip or take it with me! Thankfully I made the decision to take it with me and I headed down after the race! I had a pitstop at Birmingham for some great food and drink with Fred and a chat about the plan for next season and then headed down to Dover. A great end to a very tough season, but I have learnt so much not just about the car but life in general and I certainly won’t repeat my mistakes. I now have great help with the car and am just so excited for next season and onwards with some good plans :)

The Ring and Spa trip:

I spent the night at Dover and then got the ferry the next morning over to France. The whole journey was full of convoying trailers or supercars flying passed on their way to the Ring and set a pretty awesome atmosphere on the way out there! I was absolutely bussing and driving into Nurburg didn’t disappoint! I have been to many places where nice cars are just scattered around but the difference out at the ring is everyone is a car nut and it isn’t just people advertising how much money they have which I have found to be the case in Monaco etc.

file-12.jpg

file-13.jpg

Got overtaken on the Autobahn by this Hurst that must have been doing 120mph+
file-16.jpg

I got to the hotel, disconnected the trailer from the tow car and went out to follow Chip around the Ring in the tow car to get an idea for the place! I didn’t want to go fast as no tow car would of left for an interesting journey home but I was already in love with the place! Then Chip kindly took me out for a passenger lap in his car which seems so well suited to the bumps and undulations around the Ring.

file-17.jpg

It was then time to go for the briefing for the trackday on the following day. Here we met up with Porkie and his mates! It was the usual style briefing in a very nice workshop. Then onto dinner which was had at PK and was full of great food, great company and good banter! After a few steaks and few too many strong drinks it was time for bed.

The following day I awoke feeling a little worse for wear and looking out of the window to the darkness didn’t help.

I went down and got everything ready and then headed upto the track for opening time! The day was just awesome and I can’t put into words how much fun it was! Porkie took me out in his clio which was effortlessly munching up the laps while battling with Dan in the Exige. You could see the knowledge both Porkie and Chip had of the circuit as they got around the ring with super confidence and normally I’m a bad passenger but felt fully safe :)

Then it was time for me to brave to the track. Lee had offered to follow me round in his clio to video so I went out with Dan as my +1 and through the intercom we were talking. About half way around the lap he discovered I hadn’t driven around it before and then began to give me some really helpful pointers. It was quite worrying without the PAS how the car would just follow the camber on the road and try pulling me into the barriers when I tried holding the line I wanted the car got really snappy so it was best just to go slower and leave a margin for error. I was having great fun and the day continued like this really! I had some instruction booked with a VLN driver but unfortunately he was double booked :(

file-18.jpg

I went back out later in the day with Chip giving me some good pointers but I couldn’t really follow the correct line for fear of been pulled off into the barriers! I then took Lesley out for a passenger lap and just to try and focus on the lines rather than the speed which I really enjoyed!

Please excuse the wonky video

[video=youtube_share;4lA7s1ZHWZA]http://youtu.be/4lA7s1ZHWZA[/video]

After a bit more spectating and seeing the crazy Westfield lapping it was time for the end of the day so we got packed up where I proceeded to slide the trailer straight into the bumper of the towcar and crack the bumper :( So I certainly hadn’t come away from the ring unscathed lol

Found CS stickers!
file-19.jpg

By total coincidence on my way to Spa I bumped into Porkie and his mates so we then convoyed over to Spa and after many wrong turns we finally arrived in a rather wet Spa. Dinner was had and then an early night ready for the following day.

file-20.jpg

We arrived at Spa and with the weather not been too great we got some garages and began to unpack. I was getting the car ready onto the 888’s ready for the damp track while Chip and Lesley went and did the sighting laps in their car. They came in and Chip very kindly offered me to take their car round for some sighting laps so I jumped in and by the end of the pitlane the circuit went green so I was in a random car in the wet surrounded by GT3’s and the like! The car was great and really does pull so nicely up the rev range and doesn’t need thrashing like mine to get the power. I was struggling to acclimatise to the totally different way to drive the car compared to mine but it was great fun and thank you to Chip for the opportunity.

I then ventured out onto the track in my car and it felt so slippery on the 888’s because they were so cold but I tried to drill them and get some heat into them and they finally started to come in.

file-29.jpg

file-31.jpg

file-17.jpg

file-16.jpg

file-15.jpg

I took a break and let the others go out on track. Upon going to start my next few laps the car wouldn’t start. I got the multi-meter out and it was showing the right voltage. I thought it was the starter motor and Chip very kindly offered to help change the starter motor but first we tried a boost pack and it kicked into life so it seemed the battery had lost some cells and didn’t have enough amps to crank! We still ventured out onto circuit where it was still damp but a very thin dry line was forming! The track was smooth and the car was starting to really come together. I was avoiding the kerbs and keeping some in reserve but the car was still making good progress. I got a bit too billy big balls going through Eau-rouge and the back wheel got onto the damp line and stepped out, I straightened it up and missed the following corner but no harm done. I was loving the circuit and think I would say it is my favorite circuit I have ever driven! The place just flows so nicely and is really rewarding. After the big drag up the hill I approached the following corners closing in on the F430 scuderia in front, as I was accelerating it felt down on power but I presumed it could be due the battery and maybe low voltage so just kept going, went through Phuon and flat on the second part to get passed the Ferrari then entering the final corner before all the bottom flat section I changed gear accelerated and about 1000rpm before the limiter an almighty bang! The car shot a load of smoke from the back and in the video you can hear bits clattering around in the exhaust. The Ferrari must of got a plastering of oil as the boot of my car was covered. I couldn’t believe it and was gutted as I could tell how much pace the car could have had later in the day when it dried out. I began to get out of the car when I see a lambo coming sideways at us. I then realised my oil had been dumped on track and we were in the firing line for cars slipping on it. 3 cars lost control but luckily we had launched ourselves over the barrier to safety the car was smoking away and we were fairly sure it was going to go up in flames but there was no point in been stood in front of the car trying to put the fire out and then getting collected by cars spinning off and crashing! Luckily it didn’t set alight and instead we got towed back in the lunch hour and began to load up for the journey home. If it weren’t for having such a good trip I would probably of been in tears but I have become accustomed to the car and took it in my stride.

file-18.jpg

file-21.jpg

Video of the engine blowing up

[video=youtube_share;5QmtjqWs9oY]http://youtu.be/5QmtjqWs9oY[/video]

The afternoon was just incredible! I got taken out by Lee in his cossy Westfield and it is by far the most fun I have ever had in a car!! The thing just has phenomenal acceleration and apparently the boost was on low lol! There was not one car on circuit that was faster and this coupled with Lee’s epic car control led to the most incredible experience that I wont forget in a long time so thank you mate! We were going that fast up the Kemmel straight that my helmet was undoing itself and dragging off my head! When I was waiting for the ferry that evening the chaps from Litchfield had obviously seen the car without the bonnet on and were discussing it saying nothing else on track could keep up! That car certainly is well know and other people in the day were coming up and asking if it was the car they had seen on youtube lol!

After this it was time for a couple of hours chilling and packing up and then the journey home. The epic trip was over and it was time to say bye to everyone who had been such great company for the few days. It was such a pleasure to meet Lee and his mates along with seeing Chip and Lesley again! I look forward to the next trip and I’m sure the car will stay in one piece next time :)

The plan from here:

The original plan for winter was to take the car fully apart and replace all the wearing components well that was mainly done by BTM the other month so isn’t still required thankfully. The plan was also to dip the shell, seam weld it and fit carbon panels to get the weight down to a similar level of my competitors in similar cars. This was a very expensive option and now the car needs a new engine and wiring loom it isn’t going to be possible. I don’t really think it is all that necessary anyway as the car has become a lot more competitive recently and that is still with me making plenty of mistakes. The data logger has been showing some really quick times if I can actually put a good lap together.

So the plan now is to strip back the car to clean up and check things like bushes etc, the car will receive the new engine to BTM spec and it will also then be fully re-wired from head to toe including Oil temperature sensor, Oil pressure and a few other things to hopefully stop the next engine from going bang. The powersteering system will be changed. The seat rails will be relocated as they were welded into the wrong position which means I can’t fit FIA sliders so this will be altered. The position of the gearlinkage was also done too far back so this will be re-done along with a few other chassis changes to improve the kinematics of the car. That is it really a lot of hours to go into small little jobs but I am really confident the car will go well next year and can’t wait to get out in testing early next year :)

Thanks as always for reading and the continued support!

file-22.jpg

Best Wishes
James

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup

Excellent write up(s) James. Reading on my phone the page kept scrolling and scrolling. Lol.

I haven't manged to watch the videos yet but will do later. Crying shame about the engine but it could lead to better things (and results) next year.

Nick

Thanks Nick :) Haha yes I thought I should separate them so people can pick and mix what they want to read!

Yes bit gutted but sure it won't be long before its sorted!

Golf GTD Mk7

Nice write up James. I didn't realise the BTM zorst was like that. I could have sworn the yozza had a side mounted rear silencer :S Or is that a Fred creation

Great read James - plans sound like it's going to be a different car next year...a lot better for sure!!

Your bumper, is it just held on with the two pins, one at each side, saw it quickly off\on at Donington and want to do the same.