ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Cracking write up James, look forward to reading about the winter rebuild.

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Nice write up James. I didn't realise the BTM zorst was like that. I could have sworn the yozza had a side mounted rear silencer :S Or is that a Fred creation
Thanks mate, Yes the new BTM design is great IMO! The yozza was side mounted but this is the new design
Great read James - plans sound like it's going to be a different car next year...a lot better for sure!!

Your bumper, is it just held on with the two pins, one at each side, saw it quickly off\on at Donington and want to do the same.
Thanks Pete! Yes just a fine-tuned version of how its been at Donny and Oulton hopefully! Chatted with Howard (2nd driver) earlier and we have made a list of the current issues so hopefully should be a productive winter :)

Yes it's just aerocatch either side and then my top grills are held to the chassis. I do agree with Tony though that the aerocatches are in a vulnerable spot as mine got damaged at Donny
Cracking write up James, look forward to reading about the winter rebuild.
Thanks mate I need to borrow your epic skills for a few months ;)

Just finished reading that all James! Epic writeup and aside from all the problems a great first seasons racing! Looking forward to next year now, just make sure you dont hold me up! ;)

Thanks Nick and thanks also for all your help this year :)

Yes it will be great fun next year with us all racing! Haha of course not mate I will wave you through ;)

Golf GTD Mk7
James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic Heavy

Similar to orbisoud. Looks bang on

Yes its a really nice bit of kit :) I will be taking it back off next week when the engine comes out so will take some more photo's of it!

Yes it's just aerocatch either side and then my top grills are held to the chassis. I do agree with Tony though that the aerocatches are in a vulnerable spot as mine got damaged at Donny

Hmmm, for sure open to damage, only going to use bonnet pins so not too costly to replace, might just remove the arch liners and fixings, leaving one fixing at each side and the grill, see how that pans out.

The problem for me wasn't damaging the catch (although it did f**k that too) but it bent the corner part of the chassis! Had to get the hammer onto it and it was only a light tap :(

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member

Thought you were doing a long write up ;)
Was a great read as always James so thanks for this evenings entertainment.
Shame the engine went but it means you can't delay the BTM spec engine and will be back bigger and better next year, at least you had fun with it too, can't wait to go to the ring myself.

I look forward to reading up on all your future progress.

I did actually shorten it last night Matt ;)

Thank you mate i'm glad it wasn't too boring!

Yes really can't wait for next year I just need to find some money asap lol! :)

Great read James just read and watched it all, good luck next season, just get it all reliable the rest will fall into place.

Regards Russ............

340i

Nice write up, Ash... Shame about the engine, but that's racing I guess!

Think i've sorted a good deal on an engine crane/stand so should be collecting that tomorrow if I get time and then will get the engine out! Really can't wait to take it apart as I have no idea how engines are put together! I will take plenty of photo's and upload them :)

Hopefully will start accruing the new engine bits in November

In all honesty i'm not sure lol! The video unit came out mid race at Oulton and then I think when someone put it back in after the race they must have turned the bullet cam! Will add it to the list for winter ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

In all honesty i'm not sure lol! The video unit came out mid race at Oulton and then I think when someone put it back in after the race they must have turned the bullet cam! Will add it to the list for winter ;)

Lol! What was your best time at the ring then mate?

I don't know really that one in the video was 8.56 or 8.58 I think, Haven't timed the others as I was just coasting up the straights to save the engine (What a load of use that did me ;))

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

I don't know really that one in the video was 8.56 or 8.58 I think, Haven't timed the others as I was just coasting up the straights to save the engine (What a load of use that did me ;))

Lol! Yes, possibly a waste of time! Still excellent times around there though considering it was your first time as well.

Not sure if I'll drive over on 888's next year or load them up in the boot and go over on the 16's.

The ring? - personally I would be going out there to drive it just as I would the local good main road.... that's because the repercussions of something going wrong out there for me far outweigh the thrills of breaking lap times! IMO at least.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

The ring? - personally I would be going out there to drive it just as I would the local good main road.... that's because the repercussions of something going wrong out there for me far outweigh the thrills of breaking lap times! IMO at least.

Yes mate, the ring. I've done in excess of 350+ laps now and go as often as possible. I've seen all the crashes and unfortunately witnessed a death as well. I totally agree with your opinion about the place, but it's like I said to James, respect the place, don't get complacent and just build the speed up steadily. Far too many people don't.

This year I pulled a 8:39 on road tyres. The 888's should see me comfortably faster.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Good write up!!!

Glad your season come to a good end!! (Apart from the engine going bang) but at least you can now start a new season knowing that another item had been check off your never ending list.

Looking forward to next season only 6 months to prep. Lol

Golf GTD Mk7

Yes mate, the ring. I've done in excess of 350+ laps now and go as often as possible. I've seen all the crashes and unfortunately witnessed a death as well. I totally agree with your opinion about the place, but it's like I said to James, respect the place, don't get complacent and just build the speed up steadily. Far too many people don't.

This year I pulled a 8:39 on road tyres. The 888's should see me comfortably faster.

Impressive. Fare bit of dollar involved in that i'd imagine. I'm always tempted, but i'd rather do a trailer job like James, just in case there is a problem and you end up stranded.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Epic right up Ash, although the first lap where you followed us, it wasnt me driving, it was Lesley on her first dry lap, as she'd only been round in the wet before that.

Was fantastic having you there, hope to do the same again next year.
I think I will have to forego the march one due to other commitments, but am aiming to do october again :)

Brilliant write up - looked like the perfect way to end the year

That wiring is awesome! Could have done with a few more cable ties though lol ;)

It's been a hell of a roller coaster this year but like you said the car is showing so much potential - can't wait for next year!
You've also really given me the bug and I've already started working out what I need to do to get mine in the Tin Tops too lol - soon gonna need a clio race series I think!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Great writeup James looking forward to the winter installments!

Btw is Howard that you mention also the guy who does tuition at Cadwell?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Epic right up Ash, although the first lap where you followed us, it wasnt me driving, it was Lesley on her first dry lap, as she'd only been round in the wet before that.

I think I will have to forego the march one due to other commitments, but am aiming to do october again :)

I vote that next year gets a new thread.

Start it with a summary of things so far, and then start a new chapter off for the car from scratch in a thread that James owns not a company who (kind of) did some work on the car.

Lol! Yes, possibly a waste of time! Still excellent times around there though considering it was your first time as well.

Not sure if I'll drive over on 888's next year or load them up in the boot and go over on the 16's.
Don't be a pussy and just drive over on the 888's ;)
Yes definitely agree with you, it's the only time i've used the car and not used the data logger. I just drove within the limits of the car and didn't look at lap times until I was bored on the ferry back over :)
Good write up!!!

Glad your season come to a good end!! (Apart from the engine going bang) but at least you can now start a new season knowing that another item had been check off your never ending list.

Looking forward to next season only 6 months to prep. Lol
Thanks Mike, Yes I feel the same and I seem to forget about the engine! I looked back the other day and the car has done a lot of hours now this year so it has had a bit of a kicking!

Yes that excel document that is the list has got a scary total at the end of it :(

Getting the work done in that isn't a problem, the money well thats another matter haha!

Thanks again Chip I just want to go back now :) Yes sorry I didn't realise I had put that!

Yes same again next year definitely, I will probably try to do March too as I need to enjoy the car aswell as going from race to race :)
Brilliant write up - looked like the perfect way to end the year

That wiring is awesome! Could have done with a few more cable ties though lol ;)

It's been a hell of a roller coaster this year but like you said the car is showing so much potential - can't wait for next year!
You've also really given me the bug and I've already started working out what I need to do to get mine in the Tin Tops too lol - soon gonna need a clio race series I think!
Thanks mate it really was :)

Haha I'm not even going to comment on how much that wiring cost ;)

Me too the car has got good potential and I think I now know tweaks need doing to improve it too!
Great writeup James looking forward to the winter installments!

Btw is Howard that you mention also the guy who does tuition at Cadwell?
Thanks mate should have one with the f**ked engine by tomorrow ;)

Yes he does instruction at all the UK circuits but Cadwell, Oulton, Anglesey and Blyton are his common ones :)
I vote that next year gets a new thread.

Start it with a summary of things so far, and then start a new chapter off for the car from scratch in a thread that James owns not a company who (kind of) did some work on the car.
We will see still not 100% about a full new thread ;)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Ah I've met him then really nice guy and some pretty handy pointers around Cadwell having never been there before.

Yes he really is great :) I've tried various instructors before but for me he is the best so I just stick with him now!

Yes he does instruction at all the UK circuits but Cadwell, Oulton, Anglesey and Blyton are his common ones :)

We will see still not 100% about a full new thread ;)

I saw Howard at Blyton a few weeks back - didn't realise he did instruction there.
Gonna give him a call next year as I want a few days instruction in my car and Blyton is literally 20mins away for me :D

James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic Heavy

I saw Howard at Blyton a few weeks back - didn't realise he did instruction there.
Gonna give him a call next year as I want a few days instruction in my car and Blyton is literally 20mins away for me :D
Yes he will instruct anywhere but he does do quite a bit at Blyton :)

Good idea mate I think his prices are very reasonable compared to some of the other instructors I've heard of!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

BIGASH said:
Don't be a pussy and just drive over on the 888's

Trouble with that is if they arent road legal in terms of tread depth for the return journey.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Feck me... I thought I used to write a lot...! :D

Great write-ups, James. A really good read/watch as always; appreciate the effort!

Cup In bits

Top write up James, onwards & upwards from now on I'm sure. Fairly elobarate plans you were thinking on for the off season until the engine went.

P.s guess you don't like the car with no p/steering lol...I might have made a boboo getting rid but it's easily fixed with a electric pump which would be my prefers route if I do run p/steering.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member

Brilliant write up mate, really enjoyed reading it.