ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Feck me... I thought I used to write a lot...! :D

Great write-ups, James. A really good read/watch as always; appreciate the effort!
Haha it's my own fault for not keeping up with updating the thread while I was working on the car

Thanks Andy i'm glad they are worth the time writing :)
Top write up James, onwards & upwards from now on I'm sure. Fairly elobarate plans you were thinking on for the off season until the engine went.

P.s guess you don't like the car with no p/steering lol...I might have made a boboo getting rid but it's easily fixed with a electric pump which would be my prefers route if I do run p/steering.
Thanks mate :) Yes but in hindsight probably not too important so need to focus on the known weaknesses now and then can faff another year lol!

Honestly it is horrific!! It wasn't shocking in the damp on the 888's but then in the dry and the dunlops upto temp it was s! You think electric pump rather than electric rack mate?

Brilliant write up mate, really enjoyed reading it.
Thanks mate :) Will keep doing them next year then!

Suzuki Swift Sport
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Awesome write up, keep the vids coming too. The car looks really good fun on track, your driving looks good too! I bet its hard in a race situation to keep your cool and concentrate on good lines etc...

Will have to come along and watch an event next season!

Thanks Nick :) Yes the car is much better now! Yes it is and luckily the last two races I have had excuses for my shoddy lines but next season I won't have the excuses lol!

Yes would be great to see you at one mate

Cup In bits

Honestly it is horrific!! It wasn't shocking in the damp on the 888's but then in the dry and the dunlops upto temp it was s! You think electric pump rather than electric rack

Hard work right but more feel of what's happening?

Im going to be running slicks when allowed aswell so im going to now about it after my first few test sessions but I can only try. Yeah more than likely it will be corsa/ saxo pump as they are 10 a penny but there is also the option of cup racer pump which I could get with all hoses etc ready made. It will be the standard rack though irrelevant which way I go, its the least turns lock to lock that fits on the Clio and I can't find a quick rack for the Clio either.

I wouldn't say so no, It tries to drag you where it wants to go, then you try and counter steer and it doesn't want to move so you put more input and it suddenly turns a lot! I would go as far as saying its dangerous really!

Sorry yes I meant electric column not rack. I can't decide between saxo or Corsa options. What is the cup racer system? Surely it won't work with RHD though? The manual rack from the dci has less lock to lock I think and then can be used with the corsa column. Quaife will make a quick rack if you really want one I think I read somewhere

Managed to make some decent progress with the car tonight, worked out what bits of the loom can be reused next season and have removed that and keeping it safe, apart from that I have stripped down the front end and just need to wait till daylight to try and push the car out do a 3 point turn and put it back in the garage the other way! Think that will be tricky with no PAS and no engine on my hill lol! Once its back in the garage the correct way then it will be up on stands and strip down the rest of the car. The plan is to get the engine out/taken apart tomorrow night and then strip down the rest of the car for the rest of the week! Want to get most of the car back together by the end of November with the exception of the suspension work, re wire and new engine (i.e. the expensive bits ;))

file-14.jpg

Cup In bits

What did you do with pipes when yours failed? iv made a loop on the rack, filled with fluid and packed and sealed the pinion with grease.

The cup racer setup is similar to corsa/saxo design just a bit more robust. It's only hoses so you can just put them to the other side, rack is the same on racer's afaik just steering column pick up is on the left.

The racks a lot less well built iirc, thinner in design?? Im sure Quaife will make anything for you if you want to pay, I'm surprised there isn't one, most French boxes have a quick rack available.

Are you just going to run the 182 rack?

Just drained and left empty as didn't have time/facilities at Oulton to mess around.

Ahh okay I didn't think about the cup cars until you mentioned it!

Yes I have got one down in the garage so can take some photos if you want mate, it does look a bit weedier but it doesn't have the fluid chambers etc to bulk it up. I'm just tossing up between the Corsa electric column with manual rack (No pipes to leak) or the saxo with the standard 182 rack.

I think there was a group buy of them many years ago I will have to have a google

Cup In bits

Yeah I think I read something about guys looking for the quick racks.

So the Clio dci is a manual rack with an electric assisted column? Same as the corsa?

I used to own a corsa b many moons ago and it used to really zap the power at idle, felt like you had to rev it sometimes to turn the steering at slow speeds, you would maybe have to upgrade your chargin/ battery system.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

I used to own a corsa b many moons ago and it used to really zap the power at idle, felt like you had to rev it sometimes to turn the steering at slow speeds, you would maybe have to upgrade your chargin/ battery system.

A mate of mine has this set up on his turboed nova and he used the box of tricks off eBay for controlling the amount of assistance you get. It's not a bad little mod at all either, but I can't say he's ever mentioned about it zapping power at idle.

Yeah I think I read something about guys looking for the quick racks.

So the Clio dci is a manual rack with an electric assisted column? Same as the corsa?

I just googled it and realised it was for a clio williams and they were wanting £125 i doubt there is much difference in the racks so may be worth speaking to quaife

Yes exactly I already have the rack and to be fair I think I will just get the clio electric column and then don't need to fab the connection between the Corsa motor and clio system. The clio system needs ECU inputs but there is a separate loom you can buy which just needs a 60A input and then has variable assistance from 0-100% which would be nice

That is something I guess I would have to suck and see as I don't have a clue haha! I may increase the battery size anyway as think I will need more CCA for the high comp and then can accommodate the normal alternator which is 135A rather than the 75A from the cup but I could be very wrong about all that lol
Lol!!

On a side note, I've watched your 'ring lap now. With some kerb action (in the right places) and some adjusted lines, you'll go very fast round there mate.
Thanks mate :) I was avoiding the kerbs and the edges of the circuit like the plauge as didn't want it dragging me into a barrier lol! Can't wait to do it with power steering

A mate of mine has this set up on his turboed nova and he used the box of tricks off eBay for controlling the amount of assistance you get. It's not a bad little mod at all either, but I can't say he's ever mentioned about it zapping power at idle.
Yes that box of tricks is what i've priced up for Mark looks a decent setup :) You think i'd need to change alternator etc?

Cup In bits

When I first got my Corsa I searched for ever to find the p/steering fluid resevoir as i thought it felt low sometimes, I never found that resevoir yet lol.

Would be a nice feature but trying to get the rack into a Clio wouldn't be so nice I think.

Haha lol!

Yes it would be a faff so I think I will just go with the clio system that will hopefully sail straight in bar any wiring tweaks :)

Cup In bits

Am I missing something, can you get a "box of tricks" for the Clio dci system, assuming its a power assisted column??

Any links??

Yes mate box of tricks for clio DCI system which is what I will use :) Its pretty cool and makes in just plug and play (I say that now ;))

Yeah gimme 2 and i'll dig one out

Cup In bits

That's the thing for the job eh. You could drop the subframe in minutes with this setup.

You said you had a dci rack there. Few questions lol

How does it compare for turns against your current?
Whats the width from the Inner tie rod ball joint to inner tie rod ball joint?
Whats the length of inner tie rod from ball joint to end of threaded part?
Will your track rods fit onto it, I need my cup track rods for the extra length they give.

Cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

You think i'd need to change alternator etc?

Without knowing what the draw of the ignition circuit is, it's hard to say 100% mate, but I doubt it tbh. Worst case scenario is that you need to upgrade to the bigger alternator because it kills the 75amp one!!

Because you have no electric gubbins in the car anymore (electric windows, heated rear screen etc) adding the electric pas shouldn't be to much of a drama for it. Bigger battery capacity may be required though. I'm running a redtop 25 in mine and I have no issues with it when everything's on though.

Do you know what the current draw is from the electric pas?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

That's the thing for the job eh. You could drop the subframe in minutes with this setup.

Will your track rods fit onto it, I need my cup track rods for the extra length they give.

Cheers

You can "extend" the length of the track rod arms mate FYI. A bit of fabrication needed, but easily doable.

Cup In bits

You can "extend" the length of the track rod arms mate FYI. A bit of fabrication needed, but easily doable.

What have you done/seen?

Cut and sleeved the tie rod itself or added a threaded portion onto the track rod end. First would be easier option.

Cheers
Yes its a really handy setup I don't know why I even thought about docking around with the corsa option lol!

Not a clue
Not a clue
Not a clue
You guessed it not a clue ;)

Only joking I will have a look tomorrow if I remember mate! All been well it should be fitted and done in a couple of weeks so should have the photos in progress. When I looked the other week it looked like the track rods and ends will just swap over from my current rack to the manual one
Without knowing what the draw of the ignition circuit is, it's hard to say 100% mate, but I doubt it tbh. Worst case scenario is that you need to upgrade to the bigger alternator because it kills the 75amp one!!

Because you have no electric gubbins in the car anymore (electric windows, heated rear screen etc) adding the electric pas shouldn't be to much of a drama for it. Bigger battery capacity may be required though. I'm running a redtop 25 in mine and I have no issues with it when everything's on though.

Do you know what the current draw is from the electric pas?
Ahh okay mate thanks :) Is there any harm to fitting a bigger alternator? I guess it zaps more power from the engine?

I'm still going to be running a heated front screen and the new loom will have the wiring in place to run some big boy night lights which I guess will need a fair whack of power

Not sure i'm afraid but as Pingpong says the system is fused for 60A

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Yes its a really handy setup I don't know why I even thought about docking around with the corsa option lol!

Not a clue
Not a clue
Not a clue
You guessed it not a clue ;)

Only joking I will have a look tomorrow if I remember mate! All been well it should be fitted and done in a couple of weeks so should have the photos in progress. When I looked the other week it looked like the track rods and ends will just swap over from my current rack to the manual one

Ahh okay mate thanks :) Is there any harm to fitting a bigger alternator? I guess it zaps more power from the engine?

I'm still going to be running a heated front screen and the new loom will have the wiring in place to run some big boy night lights which I guess will need a fair whack of power

Not sure i'm afraid but as Pingpong says the system is fused for 60A

Yes just fit the biggest alternator you can then mate in that case! The 135amp one may even curl up and die with that much current draw! Lol!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

WHAT the titty f**king christ is THAT!!!!

file-4.jpg

I'm not going to buy/run the lights until needed but thought while doing the loom again may aswell put the wiring in place and the trip switches etc and save having to bodge it in a rush in future

James - PAS current draw is only an estimate; please don't take it as gospel :)

Reg the above ^.. well you know my thoughts...

Was it all just 'shoved' into the cavity under the dash?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

I thought the Dutton kitcar I owned and scrapped because of the circa 1974 cut and shut wiring loom was bad

James - PAS current draw is only an estimate; please don't take it as gospel :)

Reg the above ^.. well you know my thoughts...
No worries mate it is better than I could have estimated ;) I'm just going to fit all the stuff and then can worry about the electronics off it in January lol!

Yes mate its a shame :(
I thought the Dutton kitcar I owned and scrapped because of the circa 1974 cut and shut wiring loom was bad
Haha I was taking it out of the car tonight and wondered how much I could get for it by selling it on here?! Scrap value maybe

Out of interest are you going to re-loom yourself?

Not sure yet one of my friends has offered to help me out with it and would be good to see how it works but been given a really good quote by a friend of the chap who raced with me at Oulton, also a couple of other local companies are interested in doing it so will have to see and need to work out what spec I want as that seems to be the biggest factor in cost

Yes, to do properly requires a lot of man hours, nevermind parts adding to the cost. A relay, a misc connector, heat shrink etc are all cheap individually, but add up the sum total....

If you need any guidance happy to help where I can; we have similar electrical specifications between us so will cover a lot of common ground.

Yes I know its crazy when you start to add it all up :(

Thats really kind of you thank you very much :) I will probably take you up on it ;)