ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Thanks Mark appreciate it :) You must be classed as a fixture of FF-Racing now with the amount of help you give me!!

Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Holy s**t - back together by November?

I thought now the season was over you'd be taking a few months out and resting. I wish I had your energy levels mate LOL

Golf GTD Mk7

James - PAS current draw is only an estimate; please don't take it as gospel :)

Reg the above ^.. well you know my thoughts...

Was it all just 'shoved' into the cavity under the dash?

It was hidden well if it was. I'd have nightmares about cabling like that :( OCD would go onto overdrive.

Was it all just 'shoved' into the cavity under the dash?
Sorry mate I missed this off before

Yes just shoved under the dash I had seen it from underneath before but looks much worse when you take the dash top off
Holy s**t - back together by November?

I thought now the season was over you'd be taking a few months out and resting. I wish I had your energy levels mate LOL
Yes it's only a matter of everything off check it all over, clean up as there is PAS fluid and engine oil over everything and then paint up some bits so they are easier to keep clean and then back together on its wheels!

Need to decide how extreme to go as want to move the seat rails, gear linkage and modify the front turrets but I can't weld and think all that will be very costly to get done elsewhere :(

Haha need to get it done while I have time, will be very busy again soon probably and then it'll never get done lol!
It was hidden well if it was. I'd have nightmares about cabling like that :( OCD would go onto overdrive.
Yes it was just lifted up against the roll cage and cable tied up!

"It works doesn't it?!" was the response when I expressed my dissatisfaction! It is pretty much out now and will be re-done correctly :)

Need to decide how extreme to go as want to move the seat rails, gear linkage and modify the front turrets but I can't weld and think all that will be very costly to get done elsewhere :(

I had my cage welded in by a complany I know in Selby - the guy who does the welding is s**t hot, does a lot of F1 stuff, but he does it at weekends for cash VERY VERY cheaply.

Not far from you - I can ask if they would do some bits on it if you want. They've got a unit so you could drop it off with them to do the work or they might even come and do it at yours

Oooo that would be awesome if you could mate :)! I know of a few companies that will do it but it will be really expensive but a cash in hand weekend job would be perfect!

If they could come to mine it would be ideal obviously will cover travel costs etc :)

Thanks mate

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Lol!!

On a side note, I've watched your 'ring lap now. With some kerb action (in the right places) and some adjusted lines, you'll go very fast round there mate.

I thought he was simply incredibly fast for someone on his 2nd lap ever! I was following him for few laps in my Clio and was super impressed! (well I was actually scared at the time! I thought this is an accident waiting to happen!) but my mate Dan was in with him and said he felt safe and he was totally in control so RESPECT!

Haha thanks mate :) Can't wait for next time! I hope round 2 for you at the weekend was good and the 430 behaved aswell as all the other cars last week :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You should probably hint what the right price is.

Just dont be epically stupid and replace it with a clio shell instead of a honda one if you do sell it!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Very true and I dont think I will ever repeat most of my mistakes from the last year but personally I don't think the clio is a mistake as a race-car! We'll see what happens :)

Lol, TBH the car isnt the problem, thats pretty epic, its the F4R engine that is the problem really.

Same money spent on a honda lump just goes a lot faster sadly.

That said, you seem to have quite deep pockets, so maybe its a problem you can spend your way around to a certain extent!

Yes I agree with you there but I don't think its all about the power personally! Yes to go battling with the Jordan integera we need to have 260+ but that doesn't interest me, Like you say I could swap to a Honda but then to get an Integra to a similar spec to theirs would cost a lot more than what even I have spent on my car! Their car is running 303BHP at the fly apparently so I just don't see the point in even trying to compete with them!

Haha not at the moment I don't and I won't spend silly money trying to get the power from F4R just going to build it for reliability and work on other areas of the car/me to get quicker :)

There's a gear linkage system developed for the 106 - by Colin Satchell - satchshift, it's fecking AWESOME
Runs rod's through the car - puts the gear nob high up and near your left hand. I wish someone like BTM/K-Tec would develop a similar system for the Clio. Or a cable system because frankly the gear stick in a Clio is in completely the wrong place unless you're a 5' 2" girl

cbfb07c9.jpg

Golf GTD Mk7
No issues as such but want to build up the front turrets to get more caster and also relocate the gear linkage :)

Fair enough mate. Custom did your cage iirc?

Had Fred given you potential engine spec options yet? Like you said, peak performance isn't key. Torque wins races mate ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I wonder if a 260bhp 1.9 TDi clio is more cheaply achieved than a 260bhp 2.0 petrol one?
would certainly have a good torque spread too of course.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Torque wins races mate ;)

I hate that quote so much, its just totally wrong IMHO, BHP is the key factor in most forms of racing, that quote was from Shelby and when talking about drag cars with almost endless grip and a need to hook up off the line, for most circuit racing, although extra torque is a bonus in terms of keeping the car easy to gear etc, if you can get the gearing right its BHP that really matters.

There's a gear linkage system developed for the 106 - by Colin Satchell - satchshift, it's fecking AWESOME
Runs rod's through the car - puts the gear nob high up and near your left hand. I wish someone like BTM/K-Tec would develop a similar system for the Clio. Or a cable system because frankly the gear stick in a Clio is in completely the wrong place unless you're a 5' 2" girl

cbfb07c9.jpg
TDF wanted to do something similar to mine and spent time trying but it's just not possible unless you change the selector on the box :(
Certainly not worth starting again to make those changes!
Yes I agree but starting from fresh I would do things differently and if I can get a good price for my shell so that it wouldn't cost me much to start again then I think I would do it
Fair enough mate. Custom did your cage iirc?

Had Fred given you potential engine spec options yet? Like you said, peak performance isn't key. Torque wins races mate ;)
Rollcentre did it mate :)

We had a chat last week when I went to see him but my key requirement is durability :)
I wonder if a 260bhp 1.9 TDi clio is more cheaply achieved than a 260bhp 2.0 petrol one?
would certainly have a good torque spread too of course.
Haha probably! I think I said it to you when we were away but the skoda fabia VRS diesel tuned up could dominate our series if someone could be arsed :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Depends on the circuit surely? Slow corners needs better torque and traction no?

How does more torque give you more traction? I fail to see that link TBH

BHP is what accelerates a car, as there is a direct link between BHP and torque at the wheels if the car is geared correctly, so anytime you want to accelerate its BHP that you need in order to do so. 300bhp and 250lbft accelerates harder at peak BHP rpm than 280bhp 280lbft does anywhere in the range by definition.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Haha probably! I think I said it to you when we were away but the skoda fabia VRS diesel tuned up could dominate our series if someone could be arsed :)

Yes I think thats probably the case in a lot of race series, that there is a DT version that could be more competitive but gets overlooked.